Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/29513-article-how-buy-new-car-india-14.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 3655217)
Not true. Ask them to give it in writing stating the reason. You are using same spec tyres - 265/65/R17. A 4x4 vehicle is expected to use AT tyres, not only HT tyres. The Dunlops are HT tyres.

Fortuner run on AT and MT tyres all the time in South Africa and in SE Asian countries. Many of us use AT tyres on our Fortuners.

Thanks @nilanjanray

Got them to agree to tyre change and the warranty holds!

This is my first post in the forum and I am currently going through the first car buying experience. My dealership has informed me that I need to pay Rs. 4000 in cash since I live on rent and its illegal to register a car in a person's name who lives on rent. I have a registered leave and license agreement with me. As per the dealer, the additional Rs. 4000 will enable the RTO to register the vehicle under WAP (Without Address Proof) category. There will be no receipt for the amount. Is this a common practice and is the dealership telling the truth?

Quote:

Originally Posted by subhro1988 (Post 3692350)
This is my first post in the forum and I am currently going through the first car buying experience. My dealership has informed me that I need to pay Rs. 4000 in cash since I live on rent and its illegal to register a car in a person's name who lives on rent. I have a registered leave and license agreement with me. As per the dealer, the additional Rs. 4000 will enable the RTO to register the vehicle under WAP (Without Address Proof) category. There will be no receipt for the amount. Is this a common practice and is the dealership telling the truth?

I think this is a lie, as I have registered a car while living in a rented house. This was in Hyderabad though. I don't think the rules differ anywhere in India.

This is pure BS.

You have multiple options here -

1. BSNL bill / gas bill in your name

2. Self declaration before a magistrate

3. Aadhaar card or similar that you can get address changed on the strength of your rent agreement

etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by subhro1988 (Post 3692350)

I browsed through some of the threads looking for tips on how to deal with car dealerships but couldn't spot a thread discussing this topic. Mods: Please feel free to merge this to ongoing threads if any.

I came across these links giving useful tips on how to deal with car dealerships and also highlights some of the points were we as a customer could be taken for a ride by the dealership:

Top 10 Ways to Beat a Car Dealer

Top 6 Tips to Buy New Cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBMqJSNKeXU

0% Car Finance offered by the dealership
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ZnE-5RF9M

My ordeal with Honda and Ford dealers at Kolkata. Team Bhp Saved the day!

We wanted to change our 2013 December Maruti Alto k10 with 12,000kms on the odometer with a slightly more spacious and more comfortable hatchback. Our direct choice was the Honda Brio. We were sure that our next car will be a Brio. But at the end its a Figo Tdci! How?

1) At First we visited Eastern Honda on Nh6 near Alampur. The sales guy showed us a red Brio. Gave us the quotation. Plus he told he will give a good exchange value for my existing Alto K10. We asked for a test drive. They do not have a test drive car. They told they will arrange it on a later date. Apart from that they offered me free seat cover, rear parking sensor , floor mat and steering cover. Sounds good. Took my K10 for valuation and they told maximum they can offer is rs 2 lacks. I was not satisfied with the offer as True value was giving me around 2.5 lacks if i opt for a Swift.

2) Next visit was to Pinacle Honda. The sales guy was okay. He promptly gave me a test drive too. When the evaluator came he gave a quote of rs 1.75 lacks for my K10! I told my expectation is minimum 2.30 lacks. He started telling me his heroic stories like he picked up a 2012 K10 for 1.60 lacks etc etc. I asked the sales guy what freebies will he offer with the Brio? He was like Sir, its a Honda and we do not offer anything but still we will give you floor mats. I asked him about seat covers and after insisting for some time he agreed to give 50% off on the seat covers!

3) Visited Shree Honda at Rajarhat. The sales guy told that red is a metallic color for the Brio so we have to pay 4k more! Where as red is non metallic! Here the evaluator for the old car offered me 1.80 lacks for the k10.

4) Visited Eastern Honda Lee road. This time at the very beginning i cleared to the sales guy that i do not want any test drive and no need to explain me the features of the car. My requirement is i want free seat covers, rear parking sensors, floor mat, steering cover and rs 2.30 lacks minimum for my K10. He told he will try his best and he could manage till 2.10 lacks. The guy was honest but his seniors did not agree to this so he cant help. Well fair enough.

5) Again i got a call back from Eastern Honda on Nh6 near Alampur. I cleared them my requirements over the phone. The sales guy told me that he will match my requirements so i should come up to his showroom with the cheque book and my k10. I reached the showroom at the scheduled time. The lady at the reception told me that the concerned person has gone for lunch and he will be back in 5 mins. After 20 minutes of waiting, another guy came and told that the guy who called me got an emergency call from his home so he left the showroom. Now this guy again evaluated my k10 and told max he can offer is 2.10 lacks! This time i was pissed off! I already had the quotation of 2.10 lacks, then why call me to the showroom! He told he will some how adjust the remaining rs 20,000. On asking how his reply was he will give me free seat cover, floor mats, steering cover and rear parking sensor! I told him that the sales executive offered me all these on the very first day itself! He called up that guy and told me he has not promised me anything like that! I took his phone put on the loud speaker and asked that guy whether he had promised or not. He was like let me explain you sir but i was firm on a yes/no reply and he told yes! Now this guy started few baseless talks like sir you are using a Maruti so you can pay 20k extra for a Honda and all!

I was so dejected with Honda that i decided i will go for any car but not a Honda !

In the mean while Toyota offered me 2.30 lacks if i go for a Liva and Maruti offered me 2.50lacks if i go for a Swift. Both are tried and tested cars. But i already use a petrol Etios so i was not much inclined towards the Liva as both will be nearly same! And after using a Maruti i wanted a different brand. I was like if any other brands do not click i will pick the Liva as first preference and swift as the second choice.

Then i came to know about the heavy discount on the existing Ford Figo. So we walked to kaikan Ford on Nh6 Alampur.

The sales guy was nice. He offered me a prompt test drive and gave all the discounts as mentioned on the newspaper. Plus i got 2.40lacks for the K10. I booked the Figo on the spot. Told them i will do a PDI before the full payment. On the date of payment the Ford guys came to my home and told the Exi Tdci which i booked met with an accident so they were offering me a Zxi at another 25k extra. The deal was good but when i did the PDI it was a 2014 model! In the mean time i called up Arav Da (Teambhp handle- AjgotBhp) to check up with Ganges Ford as he has some very good contacts over there. He immediately called me back and told Ganges ford do have a ready 2015 Exi tdci Figo at there stock yard. I told the same to the Kaikan guys but they wanted a day from me. I told them i cant give them a full day, i can hardly give them that day till 6-30pm. By 6-30pm they called me back and told they can give me a 2015 white Figo Exi Tdci. That was fine for me. So next day i went and did Pdi for the white Figo. The car was absolutely fine and i paid them the rest of the amount.

Guys,

Does anybody know where the engine and chassis numbers are on Punto EVO? I'm going to book it tomorrow and I'm going to ask for a Form 22 certificate and verify it on the engine.

Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy the new Jazz (CVT V)soon and I would like to get your opinion and guidance for this process. I am a newbie here and I never had any vehicle of my own in India and recently came back from US, so I am very much new to this process.

So I went to the dealership to check out Jazz few weeks back and finally made the decision to pay the booking amount of 51,000 Rs last week. He promised me to deliver the vehicle by end of this month.
Price list SA gave me:

- Ex Showroom Rs 798500 + 5000 (added Rs 5000 for Golden Brown)
- Life Tax @12% Rs 96670
- Honda Assure (Compr) Rs 24962
- Honda Assure Nil Depr (Optional) Rs 6092
- Logistics and Handling Rs 6500
- Extended Warranty(Optional) Rs 7200
- Road Side Assistance(Optional) Rs 4670
- Essential Kit (Optional) Rs 3000
- Registration Charges Rs 3000

So here is where I would like to get your opinion

1. How to negotiate properly?

Instead of blindly going behind just one dealership for taking your dream car, visit multiple showrooms nearby or at least contact them over phone to know the benefits.
Directly tell the dealer, looking in his/her eyes the other dealership has promised to give this, that etc. So why can you give me these stuff for free.
If you have no time to run behind dealerships, just book test drives from different dealerships. Their sales boys will visit you and at that instance you may play with your bargaining skills.

2. How to pay only MRP + RTO price for getting the car?

First of all, the dealer wont agree with this at any cost. He will tell you, it is mandatory to pay shipping and handling charges (5000-50000 depending on the car), showroom insurance, registration charges etc. All these things are scams made by the all India idiot car dealer federation. Just shoot a mail directly to the car company to get rid of these scams. Template is attached below.
Hi,

I went forward for booking the "CAR NAME" in our nearby showroom. But I was taken back when the dealer quoted Rs. "AMOUNT" as the Logistics charges. I have bought many cars and SUVs till date but I was never ever charged for Handling and Logistics. I still believe it should be made free as the Supreme Court of India had made an order of the same. Please see the links attached for clearing any doubts.

Court Order is attached Below.

http://www.supremecourtcases.com/index2.php?option=com_content&itemid=1&do_pdf=1&id =24262

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Government-to-car-dealers-Waive-handling-charges/articleshow/11369279.cms

www.gaadi.com/news/supreme-court-charges-car-dealers-for-taking-extra-money-from-consumers-23419

Do clear the charges if you agree what I told is right, else educate me with new rules put forward by the supreme court.
Company email ids are given below:
Honda: customer_relations@hondacarindia.com
Hyundai: CR@hmil.net
Maruti Suzuki: contact@maruti.co.in
Scoda: customercare@skoda-auto.co.in
Volkswagen: customer.care@volkswagen.co.in
BMW: contact.india@bmw.in
TATA: carpmg@tatamotors.com
Toyota: voc@toyota-kirloskar.co.in
FIAT: service.india@fcagroup.com or service.India@fiat.com

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Hi Guys, I need little info and couldn't find in search :-(

I am planning to buy my 2nd car on my mother name by paying through cheque. I was told to give my mother PAN and id details, which is fine but I am wondering does it cause any tax issues to me or my mother.

Any idea.
Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 581349)
  • Even so, you should avoid buying a car in December; by waiting less than a month your car will be a year newer on paper.

Folks, need an advice on this aspect, I've booked a Honda city recently, the dealer has a November manufacturered which he has blocked for me. I'm in a bit of dilemma whether to take the delivery this coming week or wait for another 2 weeks and register asap in January. I'm wondering if it makes any material difference if I delay the purchase by these 2 weeks as the car will be 2015 manufacturered regardless of when one registers. The insurance guys are claiming this won't affect the value of the car in the secondary market

Can someone please help here? Thanks much.

If it is a 2015 car that you buy in 2016, the engine / chassis number will still clearly show that it is a 2015 car, regardless of any model feature changes etc that may crop up in the new year's model. So no harm in registering in 2015. If you buy in 2016 insist on a 2016 model and pay the 2016 price (which will probably be a few thousand more).

If you keep the car over 5..6 years this sort of thing will even out, as the car's value becomes fully depreciated.

Hi all,

Need a clarificiation.

I got my new car registered through dealer in October. Only last week, I received my RC book. I believe the RC work got delayed due to Chennai floods situation.

At the time of taking the RC from dealer, I checked for vehicle number, my name and address, vehicle make and variant, chassis number, etc., and all were in order. However, after coming to home, I noticed that one alpahbet in the engine number is incorrect in RC. Instead of correctly starting as "G4", the RC wrongly says as "GA". Obviously the RTO guy misread '4' as 'A'. All the rest of numbers are okay. The number is right in insurance paper also.

My query is, is this alright? Or is there something I should do? Any inputs are appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi,

I had a question. I have booked a car and its soon going to be ready for delivery (on the way from the plant).

I wanted an even number, because my other cars are odd. Which is why I was told that it will come under "fancy number" purchase from the Delhi Transport Department which is a 3 day bidding process. Fair enough.

Now what the dealer said was the I should lay the full amount on the day of delivery and drive the car on a temp number while they go on with registration (within the 7 days for which temp number is valid).

Whichever car I have purchased till now has been already registered (not RC but number allotted). However, this dealer says if I want registeration done in advance I need to make the full payment.

However, that's my concern. I can not pay in full with only a delivery agreement & VIN number allotted and neither do I want to take the liability of even a day when the car is on my name but with the dealer.

What's the workaround?
Do I take delivery on temp number or pay in full?

Thanks!