Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 12:35   #331

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

Hi Folks,

I finally have my dream machine with me, BMW X1. The final price was 51.45L including exchange (Honda Brio, 2013 model) and a 5 year extended Warranty.
Mumbai's Infinity Motors delivered it on 7th August.
Unfortunately, we could not take it for a ride, as we had an urgent property settlemet popped up at home, which got itself scheduled for 10th and had to fly in the next morning.

However, we had a drive on the 7th evening, which was good experience, by itself.
I think we can have 4 Carplays or Android, which basically depends on different blutooth connectivity.
The 4 driver profile options, by itself is quite good, though Seat set-up is there only for 2.

Didn't get enough time to go thru the entire Tech features.
One add-on we are planning is BMW's own Dash-Cam set up, which is having two cameras, on either ends, front and rear. This would be done in the first service.

Thanks
Raphel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 13:17   #332
BHPian

The idea of gifting something to the sales consultant during delivery, is it still prevalent? If so, what is in general a decent gift?
Old 16th August 2021, 16:24   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphel View Post
Hi Folks,

I finally have my dream machine with me, BMW X1. The final price was 51.45L including exchange (Honda Brio, 2013 model) and a 5 year extended Warranty.
Didn't get enough time to go thru the entire Tech features.
Hey, congrats on the new X1 . Must have been quite an upgrade from a Brio to a BMW! What did you consider in addition to the X1 for your shortlist?
If you can please provide details of the variant + discounts offered + freebies that you could manage, would be good to know.
Ofcourse, please post some pics and any initial driving experience too
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 19:50   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Hey, congrats on the new X1 . Must have been quite an upgrade from a Brio to a BMW! What did you consider in addition to the X1 for your shortlist?
If you can please provide details of the variant + discounts offered + freebies that you could manage, would be good to know.
Ofcourse, please post some pics and any initial driving experience too
Will come out with details! Currently on a tour!
Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 20:46   #335
BHPian

Hello BHPians, as we all know about Ford shutting down manufacturing in India, I am stuck with my Ford Ecosport AT (2020 BS6 Model).
I had it listed on sale since 2 months but it is really hard to get any takers because automatics are still not very popular here in Assam even though the city traffic has become a lot more dense now.
I had already booked a Mahindra Thar Diesel HT AT 2 months back and was selling off the Ecosport AT to make way for the Thar, also some more investments were planned.

Now, this announcement of Ford was a real low blow for me.
In an instant, it has become next to impossible to sell the car which already had very few enquiries cause its a petrol and automatic model.
Now, without selling off the Ecosport AT, I won't be able to get the Thar and also my other plans are now deranged. Mainly cause the car loan of the Ecosport is a total mess so I have to close it ASAP.

Already had a very rough booking experience of the Thar, now don't want a repeat of that with the cancelation of the Thar booking, and I really wanted the Thar in my garage.

Another issue that makes me worried is the Diesel DPF related issues. Is it advisable to get a Diesel car? (not specifically a Thar Diesel but any Diesel SUV/Crossover, Petrol Thar will again have low resale value)
I don't have any issue with the fuel type, although I have never owned a Diesel vehicle.

My daily commuter car is a Celerio AMT along side the supposedly weekend car, Ecosport AT.
Apart from the Thar, I will only consider a AT car with a good resale value and safety rating.

I am really tensed out right now.
What to do?
Please suggest
Old 10th September 2021, 21:40   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Hello BHPians, as we all know about Ford shutting down manufacturing in India, I am stuck with my Ford Ecosport AT (2020 BS6 Model).
I
What to do?
Please suggest
Why are you selling the ecosport? Seems to be a capable car, much more comfortable, and easier to own and run than a thar. Better space, better interiors. Fords have always had horrendous resale value; throw in the company packing it's bags, and you're looking at an unreal hit. Just not worth it, at least own it for 2 3 years. Unless you're into rock crawling or something.
When life gives you lemons, etc.

Last edited by mayankk : 10th September 2021 at 21:43.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 21:49   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I am really tensed out right now.
What to do?
Please suggest
I feel you are over reacting to the news of Ford stopping their production. Take it in the right way, they will continue service support and warranty related services.

Selling Ecosport or any other car within 5 years is a financial stupidity. Depcriciation today and post 5 years of a 2020 registered car would be nearly the same (10-20% difference)

You havent mentioned the reason for you booking the Thar. Even that looks like an emotional purchase and wanting to be part of the new Thar revolution.

If you have a lot of disposable money, go ahead and sell the Ecosport and enjoy the Thar

If you value money then stick with your Ecosport for another couple of years. Rent out a Thar once in few months to satiate your cravings for a real off road SUV. Within 3 to 5 years you will have good Thars in pre owned space and newer ones would be niggle free and better than the current one.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 22:07   #338
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions.
I won't go for a new Thar now if financially its not viable.
But selling the Ford was not only because of the Thar, but also for some additional reasons. The need to close the car loan of the Ecosport and rework my financials for some other investments. And considering the long waiting period of the Thar, I planned to own one.

Yes, I know selling a car so soon is a financial hit and also a bad decision, but pre-closure of the loan is a must for me.

I am fond of the Thar but I also needed a proper abuse friendly SUV, AWD or 4x4 equipped. No other option in the market other than the Thar as of now. The Jimny would have been a perfect niggle free car to own but sadly no luck with it.

As of now, I have lost hope of selling the Ecosport or owning a Thar.
I know, service would not be a huge task cause I do have relatives with Chevrolet cars, they are doing fine, comparatively Ford sold far more cars.

Lets see, how the situation pans out in a month or two.
If not, I would consider exchanging the old battle scared Celerio AMT for a new Maruti Suzuki AMT at best.
Old 15th September 2021, 22:11   #339

Hi Guys,
I am in bit of a fix here. I have a Ford Ecosport 1.5 Diesel 2014 model. After hearing that Ford is shutting shop and also because I want a change, I have been enquiring with dealers in Bangalore for an alternate.
I am surprised to find that diesel cars are hard to come by. Skoda says no Rapids in Diesel. Hyundai says no Venue in diesel. Maruti Suzuki says not sold any diesel since May 2020.

Coupled with this is the recent shortage of semiconductor chips - added woes. Most high end variants are not available. Waiting period is a vague 4 to 6 months with no commitments.
Is there a push by manufacturers to hold back diesel variants? Or is it because the Government will be discouraging diesel engines?
I heard today that there is proposal for bringing Petrol and Diesel under GST. NO IDEA IF THIS IS TRUE!!! Is this any reason for diesel engine shortage with the dealers?
I would like to know how the user experience is with a Petrol Hyundai Venue manual and also Auto transmission? Would anybody throw some light on this?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10th October 2021, 15:27   #340

Quick question - is Aadhaar a must for registering a new car?

The Nexa dealership in Chennai where I booked my S-Cross insists that Aadhaar is a must to register the car. Otherwise they say there is a long procedure to follow if I don't have Aadhaar. (I do have Aadhaar - I just prefer to use it only if I have to.)
Old 14th October 2021, 14:03   #341
BHPian

Hi,
I had booked a Tata Nexon on 10 Oct 2021. Paid Rs.5000 as token booking amount. Today, 14 Oct 2021, the dealership called and said that the car has been allotted to me at the plant. They were not clear about when it would be dispatched/ delivered to dealer but said that the car would be made available to me within a week. At some point in the conversation, it was mentioned that it was already on they way to dealer yard from the plant. Anyways. they did clarify that it was a prior booking that was being allocated to me. They asked me for advance payment of 80% to be able to bill. In return, I asked them to send me the VIN number before payment so I can verify that it is at-least an October production. Once, I asked for VIN and October production commitment and after some haggling, the 80% figure came down to 50%.

So, the advise I need here is:
1) How much advance payment should I make? 50% or less?
2) Besides checking VIN for production month, any other checks that need to be/ can be done?
3) Should I ask them in writing about approximate delivery date before making advance part payment?

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th October 2021, 17:27   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_vish View Post
Hi,

So, the advise I need here is:
1) How much advance payment should I make? 50% or less?
2) Besides checking VIN for production month, any other checks that need to be/ can be done?
3) Should I ask them in writing about approximate delivery date before making advance part payment?
Congrats in advance for your new car.
Answering based on my purchase experience of Tiago this August.

1) I did not make any payment apart from the booking amount. I had made it perfectly clear to the SA that I will be making full payment only after I do the Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI). Would suggest you do likewise. It delays the whole process a bit, but definitely worth the peace of mind.
2) I'd recommend a full-blown PDI at the dealer's yard. Check out this thread (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List), which covers the whole process in great detail.
3) Once you do the earlier two, this shouldn't be a concern as you would have seen the car in person. Just clarify on how long it will take from the point your payment reflects in dealer's account to get the delivery with registration number.

Make sure you share your purchase experience once you get the delivery.

Last edited by red_nemesis : 14th October 2021 at 17:40. Reason: Missing hyperlink
red_nemesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 17:52   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
Congrats in advance for your new car.
Answering based on my purchase experience of Tiago this August.

1) I did not make any payment apart from the booking amount. I had made it perfectly clear to the SA that I will be making full payment only after I do the Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI). Would suggest you do likewise. It delays the whole process a bit, but definitely worth the peace of mind.
2) I'd recommend a full-blown PDI at the dealer's yard. Check out this thread (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List), which covers the whole process in great detail.
3) Once you do the earlier two, this shouldn't be a concern as you would have seen the car in person. Just clarify on how long it will take from the point your payment reflects in dealer's account to get the delivery with registration number.

Make sure you share your purchase experience once you get the delivery.
Thanks. I think I will follow your advice. Land up at the dealership and request for PDI. Mine and dealership's bank are the same so transfer should be done same day. In the meantime, they shared the photo of their in-stock status excel sheet which reflects the following details

Status Date: 14 Oct 2021
Chassis No: MAT627225MLK...
Manufacturing Date: 01 Oct 2021
Physical Status: In transit
Physical Location: Plant

I am slightly confused about the Age column reflecting 2 while still showing Physical Status as In Transit and Location as Plant. Any idea?
Old 14th October 2021, 18:53   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_vish View Post
Status Date: 14 Oct 2021
Chassis No: MAT627225MLK...
Manufacturing Date: 01 Oct 2021
Physical Status: In transit
Physical Location: Plant

I am slightly confused about the Age column reflecting 2 while still showing Physical Status as In Transit and Location as Plant. Any idea?
I also got to see a similar in-stock status screenshot of the system from my SA. What that means is, a manufactured car in the plant has been allocated to your dealer and is/will be in-transit from the plant to dealership/yard. I am not too sure about the age, but it could very well be the age in dealer's stock book since allocation.

Ask your SA to give you a call once the car is unloaded and cleaned up for PDI. You can tell him/her that you'll make the payment immediately once you are satisfied with the car.

Last edited by red_nemesis : 14th October 2021 at 19:18.
Old 17th October 2021, 14:23   #345
BHPian

Need guidance here. I am newbie when it comes to buying car and we are planning to get Tata Punch soon and will be paying booking may be next weekend. I was going to take everything from the Dealership but I see mention of insurance from 3rd party.

Can anyone direct me if I should have insurance before car is taken from dealer's hand? Also where should I shop for insurance and what all to consider when choosing one? What all information will be asked by insurance company?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks