Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:29   #211
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Stunning article, GTO. I had a Hyundai Accent GLE (petrol), 2005 model. Sold it for 3.2L in 2010 and purchased a 2008 Scorpio mHawk for 7.8L. Thats 5.5L more for an SUV.

I followed your used-car thread and it helped me a lot to verify the car's history. This surely will help a lot of users, who are planning for a lateral upgrade. In addition, saves the envoironment as well, as you had mentioned, in one of your threads.

As Ajmat and you had mentioned, getting the car serviced immediately after the purchase is critical. However, there is absolutely no way to identify the life of a clutch, which is the most comman part that is bound to fail. I'm lucky in a way, that it failed, when I was driving in the city. So, keep aside approx. 20K for clutch, if you wish to replace the clutch immediately after the purchase. In addition to this, the other common things to be replaced are battery and tyres. Overall be prepared to spend 50K more (this might be over a period of one or two years)

Last edited by aviorp : 22nd June 2011 at 07:33.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:17   #212
BHPian

i'm trying to do an upgrade from my current i10 to a Fiesta TDCi. However hard i search, i'm not able to see a Fiesta TDCi SXI which has run <40/50K and >2008/9. Guess it's too nice a vehicle to let go of. If anyone knows of such a car can you please pm me? otherwise looks like no option but a new ford fiesta. Thanks
Old 11th July 2011, 19:36   #213
BHPian

@optimist: It is very difficult to find diesel cars with low numbers on the Odo primarily cuz a diesel is bought to be driven a LOT. The same goes for any Octy diesel, Logan diesel, Indica etc etc.

Essentially, you are looking at getting a car which has done less than 1500kms/month and is a diesel. Not the easiest of propositions.
Old 13th July 2011, 17:39   #214
BHPian

Lateral upgrade from a baleno, is Elantra the way to go ?

I have been using my dad's Punto MJD for commute to work (result of inflation in india & depletion in my budget) and I am now addicted to the torque on command in this diesel mill. I am loving the diesel for its cheaper running expenses and also the torque it provides bringing smiles in every mile

Now, coming to my Baleno, it has done 78k kms and runs on lpg/petrol. Off late, lpg availability in hyd has reduced and every station has a long queue of autowalas who dont like being kept waiting wen a 60 lts tank comes for a tank full ! This apart, there are very few mechanical issues with my blackHawk and since i am the 2nd owner, i just feel i should sell it when it can be sold!

Looking for upgrade options, I am interested only in diesels and comfortable cars ( i like the comfort in my baleno like the ACC, electric ORVMs, defog, wide seats etc) which brings me to Hyundai Elantra, Tucsan, Verna (i dont like the looks of this), palio MJD (not really upgrade, but still a fiat ) etc..

I am more interested in Elantra/Tucsan because i love those diesel mills and the good GC, service back up of HASS, hugely depreciated models for their time & features! Armed with this info, i started my search and came across a few Elantras and no tucsans at all in hyd. I recently contacted a seller in Gurgaon for his elantra (top of the line) which he said has ABS, Airbags, Traction control, automatic climate control etc. After looking at the pics he uploaded, I got as doubt on the feature list of his elantra which he says is completely stock except for alloys.

In the pic, i noticed the center console doesnt hav the look of Automatic CLimate control equipment. It rather has a dated knobs and controls. It is 1st owner reg, 55000kms run, complete service history available. Asking price is 4,50,000. What would be the right price i can pay ? How is the maintenance of Elantra ? What should i look for when inspecting this ?

PS: What models/versions were available in the elantra crdi when it was launched ? How do we verify ? like i could notice only ACC issue here, but how to identify whether all his claims of existing features are valid or not ? i have attached a pic for reference of what i am talking. I sent this pic to the seller asking him for clarification.

What other options can i look for? I am not thinking of iinvesting much here, basically i would sell my baleno and put in a couple of lakhs at the max for the upgrade/change. Suggestions please !!

Attached pic is what I have sent to the seller, seeking clarification on features and version !
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)-elantra_ac.jpg  

Old 13th July 2011, 18:21   #215
BHPian

Re: Lateral upgrade from a baleno, is Elantra the way to go ?

@kri$hna:

Log on to carwale.com .

There go to the research page Car Research - Car Reviews, Photos, Specs, Features, Tips & Advices - CarWale .

Now select Hyundai and scroll down to below the listed models. You will see a notation about discontinued models. Select that and you will get to see the list of discontinued models.Here is the url for the specs page of of the Crdi Elantra Hyundai Elantra CRDi Features - CarWale .

Regarding other options. Tuscon as you have listed is one. I too am thinking on the lines of a Tuscon, let us see if it happens.
Old 13th July 2011, 18:47   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
@kri$hna:

Log on to carwale.com .

There go to the research page Car Research - Car Reviews, Photos, Specs, Features, Tips & Advices - CarWale .

Now select Hyundai and scroll down to below the listed models. You will see a notation about discontinued models. Select that and you will get to see the list of discontinued models.Here is the url for the specs page of of the Crdi Elantra Hyundai Elantra CRDi Features - CarWale .

Regarding other options. Tuscon as you have listed is one. I too am thinking on the lines of a Tuscon, let us see if it happens.
Yup, I went through that already, but like i mentioned, could not find details of Automatic Climate Control. Similarly, there might be something missing in those URLs. Hence, wanted the current Elantra users to provide some info about it. From other online sources, I came to know that Hyundai sold a striped down version of elantra's before closure and not sure what those features were, which were axed!

The search conitnues, and i appreciate any help from fellow bhpians
Old 13th July 2011, 20:37   #217
BHPian

Unfortunately, Elantra was an underdog, it didnt have the badge value of some one buying an Octavia or for the chauffer driven, the styling wasnt to many's taste.

Hyundai sold the Elantra decontent version stripped off the Alloys, ABS, Airbags, Traction control, ACC.

There was also a fully loaded model w/o leather seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Yup, I went through that already, but like i mentioned, could not find details of Automatic Climate Control. Similarly, there might be something missing in those URLs. Hence, wanted the current Elantra users to provide some info about it. From other online sources, I came to know that Hyundai sold a striped down version of elantra's before closure and not sure what those features were, which were axed!

The search conitnues, and i appreciate any help from fellow bhpians
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 20:47   #218
BHPian

I think the price is on the higer side, I was getting a 2004 Elantra with about 40k on the odo, if I remember correct for about 3.5 Lakhs about 2 yrs back.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:05   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Unfortunately, Elantra was an underdog, it didnt have the badge value of some one buying an Octavia or for the chauffer driven, the styling wasnt to many's taste.

Hyundai sold the Elantra decontent version stripped off the Alloys, ABS, Airbags, Traction control, ACC.

Thats some nice info you have given. Thanks bro

But, i spoke to Mr. Vijender from gurgaon who is selling his elantra, which is posted in our classifieds and he says it has ABS, Airbags etc but i see the A/C having conventional knobs and nothing close to an ACC.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Elantra.html/

is it possible tha only ACC was absent and everything else there ??
Old 14th July 2011, 18:35   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post

In the pic, i noticed the center console doesnt hav the look of Automatic CLimate control equipment. It rather has a dated knobs and controls. It is 1st owner reg, 55000kms run, complete service history available. Asking price is 4,50,000. What would be the right price i can pay ? How is the maintenance of Elantra ? What should i look for when inspecting this ?
Possibilities are the Climate control panel had some problem after warranty got over and owner opted for the cheaper non climate control controller. When my Climate Control was damaged during service the ASC offered to fit the non-ACC controller(which i obviously refused and ACC controller).

Quote:
PS: What models/versions were available in the elantra crdi when it was launched ? How do we verify ?
Initially Elantra CRDi had only one top end variant, leather pack was optional.

Later a cheaper version was added after minor changes. The models post changes had full body colored bumpers with black strip removed. The top end version post changes came Leather seats as standard.

l
Quote:
ike i could notice only ACC issue here, but how to identify whether all his claims of existing features are valid or not ? i have attached a pic for reference of what i am talking. I sent this pic to the seller asking him for clarification.
The cheaper CRDi variant did not have ACC, Airbags, Alloys, Leather upholstery etc but had Traction control and ABS.

Quote:
What other options can i look for? I am not thinking of iinvesting much here, basically i would sell my baleno and put in a couple of lakhs at the max for the upgrade/change. Suggestions please !!
Another good option is Optra Magnum.

My ownership thread might be useful for some more info- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-now-sold.html
__________________________________________________ ___________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
The lower Diesel variant had ABS and TCS.

Quote:
Only initially the lether pack was optional, later leather was standard on higher variant(the one i had).

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th July 2011 at 18:41.
Old 17th July 2011, 17:21   #221
BHPian

Today, i found another Elantra in Hyd. This one is WB regd (WB 02S 7100), and being sold by a guy who deals specifically in identifying & selling vehicles that are seized (under bank custody/financial defaulters).

The Elantra CRDi is 2004 model, run for 56K kms. The paint on bumpers is having the worn out look of paint kept under sun for long time, Tyres seem to be good enough for another 10~15k kms.

Drive Review:
AC Works (pretty chilling), started on the first go ( has amaron battery), no fault lights on, Clutch was Hard (i come from baleno and felt this clutch to be unusually hard), Horn Button on the steering wheel seems to be hard. No noises from the engine, not much jerking except one peculiar thing i observed.

Since i found the clutch to be hard, i tried to figure out if there is any problem while changing gears, but gears seems to engage smoothly. Only when i accelerate hard in first gear (upto 30kmph) and shift to second, there is a jerking happening before i release the clutch. After releasing clutch, second gear engages at higher rpm (sort of engine braking like motion).

Other than the above mentioned issue with the paint on bumper cracked & worn out & the clutch issue, i really found nothing wrong with the vehicle.

Now the pricing:
The seller quoted 2,85,000/- for this First Owner vehicle, 2004 model, 55k (NOC will be arranged, but i have to pay for life tax in ap & any extra rta agent charges arnd 6k). How much can i offer ? is it a good deal to go for this vehicle ? The seller said a dealer from hyd ( Auto Arena) offered him 2,60,000/- for the same vehicle in as is condition.

I am little confused but tempted coz I am getting a bigger diesel engine for lesser cost, which means i need to get the bumpers repainted & Clutch changed ?? What cost am i looking at ?

Seller also offered 1 week test/buy back period if i identify that I have been cheated with a repainted body/engine has any major work . is it a good deal to go for it ??

2,85,000/- + road tax + painting bumper & teflon + clutch overhaul of elantra = how much ? is it good to go for this ?

I appreciate your feedback and thanks for looking
Old 21st July 2011, 13:03   #222
BHPian

sorry for cross posting a link here but i wanted to know if this makes sense.

i'm upgrading from an i10 sportz 2009 model to the below if we can negotiate a little. Very difficult to find cars like these.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2437997

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 21st July 2011, 15:06   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
sorry for cross posting a link here but i wanted to know if this makes sense.

i'm upgrading from an i10 sportz 2009 model to the below if we can negotiate a little. Very difficult to find cars like these.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2437997

Thanks for your inputs.
Why dont you look for good Cedia's? If you're after a sedan that performs, this is what you should be looking at.

Maybe even a Civic? I'm not so sold on the Ford's.
Old 5th October 2011, 19:17   #224
BHPian

Hey guys, I'm looking forward to buying my first car. I am from Delhi and would like to buy a CNG car. I'm looking for a good comfortable car in a budget.

The cheapest new factory fitted CNG car is Santro which along with paper work, comes to more than 4 lacs.. so I thought, why not get a 2G City 1.5 for about 3.3L and get a CNG kit fitted. Will that be a sane choice? Or.. will it be better than the Santro option?
Old 6th October 2011, 21:24   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arihant.EXE View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking forward to buying my first car. I am from Delhi and would like to buy a CNG car. I'm looking for a good comfortable car in a budget.

The cheapest new factory fitted CNG car is Santro which along with paper work, comes to more than 4 lacs.. so I thought, why not get a 2G City 1.5 for about 3.3L and get a CNG kit fitted. Will that be a sane choice? Or.. will it be better than the Santro option?
This is the wrong thread to post this query. Just repost in the What Car thread.
The City is a very good car,no doubt. It has low running costs and is very reliable. But spares may turn out to be a bit more expensive than the Santro's.
Also Santro is NEW and if you plan to keep it for long term and have high usage,go for a new car. Also the Santro will have factory fitted CNG kit which will be better IMO.

If you want to go ahead with the City then look for a very clean sample even if you have to pay more. The money spent will give you more mental peace later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks