Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2013, 19:48   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
There is a nice looking Golden Elantra 2006 model GT Petrol available for Rs 3 Lacs. Negotiable. Done 43000 kms. Decent condition. Single owner car. Located in Madras.
This seems to be the fully loaded version. Considering this as an upgrade for my Parents. Ideally this should last them another 5-6 years or so.
It has all the safety kit, ABS, traction control etc.
What do you guys think? How much should we offer?

There is also a nice looking Gold Skoda Octy 2006 model 1.8 Turbo petrol available in Bangalore for 3.6 lacs. Done around 63k kms.
Again single owner. This is on TBHP classifieds.
Any ideas or inputs would be welcome.
Since it is for your parents,Elantra is the one that you should Pick since its comfortable and spacious; Octy will come with its set of niggles.Not sure about the prices down south,but here up north you can pick a Elantra 2.0 Crdi for similar amount,i would recommend that you offer 250K for this one.
Old 9th June 2013, 20:35   #242
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

Since it is for your parents,Elantra is the one that you should Pick since its comfortable and spacious; Octy will come with its set of niggles.Not sure about the prices down south,but here up north you can pick a Elantra 2.0 Crdi for similar amount,i would recommend that you offer 250K for this one.
Thanks Mate.
Now, do you know if these Elantras came with seat height adjustment on both front seats?
I know its a lovely car. Indeed there is one Dark Blue one on TBHP classifieds too, located very near where I live and this one seems to be of a higher spec, with leather seas etc. The asking price is the same too at 3 lacs. However, for our family Dark Blue does not suit as a colour, plus it is a KA reg car which will be driven in Madras. Hence I am thinking it is better to just source one in Madras itself rather than do this KA reg and re- register it etc.

Only in the case of the lovely Gold Bangalore Octy, am I sorely tempted.

There is also a nice White Fabia 1.2 petrol for sale in Bangalore, done 22k kms and priced at 3.5 lacs. 2009 model Ambiente. Has almost all the bells and whistles which are needed, especially the safety kit. According to the owner it also has seat height adjustment for both the front seats. Can anyone confirm that the 2009 model Ambiente Fabia actually had this feature? I do know that they downgraded some of the Fabia's features sometime either in 2009 or 2010 and amongst the things that vanished, never to return, was this lovely feature of front passenger seat height adjustment.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th June 2013 at 20:36.
Old 12th June 2013, 22:34   #243
BANNED

How about a nice clean looking 2009 model Fabia 1.2 petrol Ambiente, priced around 3 lacs? Good deal or not? Located in Madras so ideal for my parents.
Old 13th June 2013, 00:26   #244
BHPian

Fantastic article GTO. I have recommended this thread alongwith your Civic ownership to many prospective new car buyer friends and believe me at least more than half of them have gone the preworshipped way.
In fact I am looking to change my Figo and myself am very confused.Petrol or diesel choice doesn't matter. If Petrol then am looking at a used ANHC A/T for the convenience of A/T and good reliability.At the other end,in the diesel I am looking at used Vento Diesel for the fantastic built quality and the diesel engine which appeals to the heart as well as mind. Prices for the vento top end are roughly 50-70k more than the City. For some time I eyed some used Arias as well for the pathetic condition of some of our roads; especially in Mumbai.
What do you suggest?
Old 14th June 2013, 13:41   #245
BHPian

Guys getting a 2009 Civic with 50K on odo for 5.1.
Service record I have not seen yet and negotiation yet to be done.
How is the offer?
Old 14th June 2013, 14:41   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
How about a nice clean looking 2009 model Fabia 1.2 petrol Ambiente, priced around 3 lacs? Good deal or not? Located in Madras so ideal for my parents.
All your cars look like finds from carwale

I'm looking for a car around the same budget for my folks (and sometimes me) in Chennai too. Am veering towards Maruti though as the service hassle is taken care of (i'll be unavailable to do service run abouts or warranty claims). Am not too sure about Skoda Chennai.
Old 14th June 2013, 17:49   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

All your cars look like finds from carwale

I'm looking for a car around the same budget for my folks (and sometimes me) in Chennai too. Am veering towards Maruti though as the service hassle is taken care of (i'll be unavailable to do service run abouts or warranty claims). Am not too sure about Skoda Chennai.
Yes. I keep trawling carwale. Ultimately it is up to them what they want but I keep hunting on their behalf. However, getting them to embrace change is in itself a tough task.
Old 14th June 2013, 19:51   #248
Senior - BHPian

Ever since i read this article I couldnt get over the feeling that I should be going pre owned and save some $$ while getting an almost new car in the deal. Kept trawling Carwale that day onwards and finally a few months ago got exactly what i wanted. A pristine 1 year old Fiat Linea D Emotion, around 6800 Kms on the Odo for a shade under 8.5L. Considering that I was getting a new Punto 90 for a higher price, i couldnt have asked for more.
Thank you GTO
sammyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 13:10   #249
BHPian

Experts - Is this a good bargain?

A Nov 2007 model Honda Civic 1.8S MT is available for sale at 5.8L. It is from a single owner and car has run 43K kms.
The price quoted is 5.8L and it is negotiable.

I am thinking of selling my 2006 May model Swift Zxi and upgrading to such a vehicle once I find a suitable one.

I am planning to do detail check - test ride, inspection, serivice records, claim history etc soon.

I wanted to check with the forum on the following aspects.

a) Is it ok to buy a 5y 7 months old civic? Will maintaining it be a hassle?
b) Feedback on the price quoted.

regards,
Rajat
Old 8th July 2013, 01:26   #250
BHPian

Re: Experts - Is this a good bargain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post
A Nov 2007 model Honda Civic 1.8S MT is available for sale at 5.8L. It is from a single owner and car has run 43K kms.
The price quoted is 5.8L and it is negotiable.

a) Is it ok to buy a 5y 7 months old civic? Will maintaining it be a hassle?
b) Feedback on the price quoted.

regards,
Rajat
The price is slightly on the higher side. I suggest around 5 lac is a fair price considering the taxes are higher in bangalore than mumbai. In Mumbai, 2007 civics with around 45k on the odo go for around 4.5 lacs i.e after negotiations. The Civic is a fantastic car to buy as Used since the reliability is stellar and it is one of the few Japanese cars to match the European cars for the build quality. 43k is hardly any running and if the seller is an individual, then it is a great buy. Please do make sure you follow the T-bhp advice about how to buy used cars.
Considering the Bangalore traffic, why don't you consider an a/t Civic? It will be slightly costlier to maintain and the FE will be lower.
Old 14th July 2013, 13:31   #251
BHPian

Hi

A friend is selling his 2007 city zxi vtec. Done 74k Kms.

New clutch plate, new brake shoes, new tyres, insurance till June 2014.

He's the second owner. The first owner was an mnc which had given the car to his cousin, a big shot in the company. So for the first four years the car was company maintained, no expenses spared.

He's asking for 3.25 lakh. Is it a fair price?
Old 14th July 2013, 20:48   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Hi

A friend is selling his 2007 city zxi vtec. Done 74k Kms.

New clutch plate, new brake shoes, new tyres, insurance till June 2014.

He's the second owner. The first owner was an mnc which had given the car to his cousin, a big shot in the company. So for the first four years the car was company maintained, no expenses spared.

He's asking for 3.25 lakh. Is it a fair price?
I think its a fair price if the car is in good condition but please do remember that this price will obviously have a nego componant of at least around 15%. If the interiors of the car are good, I do believe he should get anything around 2.75 if he searches for buyers on his own.
Old 14th July 2013, 23:58   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
I think its a fair price if the car is in good condition but please do remember that this price will obviously have a nego componant of at least around 15%. If the interiors of the car are good, I do believe he should get anything around 2.75 if he searches for buyers on his own.

Sorry didn't make myself clear. He's the seller. I'm the buyer. He's set a price of 3.5 which he's reduced to 3.25. That's as low as he's willing to go.

You're saying I should ask him to go further down to 2.75?

The cars in pretty good shape but with a high odo reading. How much will the depriciation be a couple of years down the road?

Please advice.

Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 23:50   #254

Hi,

I've come across a December 2011 VW Vento Highline A/T, which has done only 3000 kms. Single Owner. The price quoted is around 8.5 lacs.

Does this sound like a good deal? Or am I being naive? BTW, this will be my first Used Car Purchase.

Any views will be welcome.
Old 25th July 2013, 09:14   #255
Senior - BHPian

I have seen valuations of around 3.5 lacs for < 5years old SX4s! And also for Honda Jazz. Very tempting!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks