Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2017, 17:42   #376
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sell Swift ZDi and buy Used Sedan? Problem is insufficient boot space and rear seats

Since you don't intend to use the car for office commute, it doesn't make sense to change just for outstation trips - especially since you don't want to spend money on this exchange.

1) Since you are only 3, ask your wife to sit at the back behind the front passenger seat
2) Little one behind you in the backseat.
3) Use the front footwell and front seat for placing LIGHT luggage (Eg: diaper bag, baby clothes etc). Your wife should be able to reach bag from the back. But make sure luggage on the front passenger seat is securely tied down with seat belt.

After placing the soft luggage in front footwell, you should move the front passenger seat all the way forward so that your wife has enough legroom.

Other options:

1) Use Zoomcar for outstation trips
2) Sell Swift, buy an used petrol Ertiga or an older used diesel Ertiga. It's great for carrying all the baby junk.

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th January 2017 at 17:57.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 18:22   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sell Swift ZDi and buy Used Sedan? Problem is insufficient boot space and rear seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviganatra1981 View Post
"With new model in place it will depreciate and that will not fetch good price meaning in near future you will be in a situation with a itch to buy and this time even lesser money in pocket. "
While you may want to change the Swift due to space issues, I doubt if you need to worry about a sudden depreciation due to a newer gen Swift. It usually only affects the value of cars sold a few months before the launch of the new one, not two to three year old examples like yours.

Your Swift and a mid 2017 Swift will have very little overlap in the used car market.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 18:28   #378
Senior - BHPian

Your options in the used market can vary from the previous gen i20 and Jazz to the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic, all of different ages. You could try finding an exclusive car like the Fiat Linea TJet too. Since you won't drive too much, owning a petrol won't really burn a hole in your pocket. If you need the space, it makes sense to sell the swift and move on. Search hard for the car and make a good buy.

I don't really agree with using Zoomcar for outstation trips. We're getting mixed reviews in the forum. A lot of people complain about the car being dirty, not in good mechanical condition etc. Refer our home page for more details.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2017, 02:45   #379
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$)

I currently have a 2015 regd Nano Twist XT. The car has run 28k kms. The car is troublefree. Now i go for long drives often and feeling the need for a car with a boot and better power and safety. Was considering a second car, but afraid i'll end up not using one of the cars (I'm the only driver in the house). Myles/zoomcar is a good option for outstation trips, but the speed-limit(100 in Myles) and constant worry of car getting scratched etc is getting to be a deterrent. Bought Nano new as this was the only car that i can afford using cash-only at the time of purchase. Thinking of selling the Nano and getting myself a used Fiesta 1.6 for a difference of 1.5L. But selling the Nano and finding a good Fiesta 1.6 both seem to be difficult. Also thinking about retaining my current car till i can afford something better. Any suggestions?
Old 25th January 2017, 16:06   #380
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
I currently have a 2015 regd Nano Twist XT. The car has run 28k kms. The car is troublefree. Now i go for long drives often and feeling the need for a car with a boot and better power and safety. Was considering a second car, but afraid i'll end up not using one of the cars (I'm the only driver in the house). Myles/zoomcar is a good option for outstation trips, but the speed-limit(100 in Myles) and constant worry of car getting scratched etc is getting to be a deterrent. Bought Nano new as this was the only car that i can afford using cash-only at the time of purchase. Thinking of selling the Nano and getting myself a used Fiesta 1.6 for a difference of 1.5L. But selling the Nano and finding a good Fiesta 1.6 both seem to be difficult. Also thinking about retaining my current car till i can afford something better. Any suggestions?
If the Nano is your first car and was bought purely because it was what you could afford, please also consider the maintenance costs of something like an old Ford Fiesta. While not stratospheric, unexpected issues might be a bit of a hassle and could put a plug in your monthly expenditures. Why not buy an old first gen SX4 1.6 pre VVT model (handled better). They go for around 2 lakhs, are cheap and easy to fix, mod friendly and aren't built like most Marutis. You could even buy yourself a fun bike to replace the Nano
Old 27th January 2017, 11:17   #381
BHPian

Thank you. Will be considering the SX4 as well. Have a pulsar 180, which now is hardly used for 1k kms a year. So fun bike is out for now ☺
Old 28th January 2017, 17:05   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I currently have a 2015 regd Nano Twist XT. The car has run 28k kms...Also thinking about retaining my current car till i can afford something better. Any suggestions?
It doesn't make sense to have 2 cars as I have suggested in some other thread too. There are quite a bit of overhead which we tend to overlook - yearly insurance payments, services, battery, tyres etc will all need replacements. Give it enough time before you pick up another car. Please also think from the service / spare cost of anything that may come in your budget; while some cars may be cheap to buy as a used option, it'd not be cheap to maintain.

The good options would be Dzire / Manza etc. Even a well maintained Esteem is a good option I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
...Why not buy an old first gen SX4 1.6 pre VVT model (handled better). They go for around 2 lakhs, are cheap and easy to fix, mod friendly and aren't built like most Marutis...
I doubt an SX4 will be that cheap, considering the OP is based out of Chennai.
Old 28th January 2017, 22:46   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It doesn't make sense to have 2 cars as I have suggested in some other thread too. There are quite a bit of overhead which we tend to overlook - yearly insurance payments, services, battery, tyres etc will all need replacements. Give it enough time before you pick up another car. Please also think from the service / spare cost of anything that may come in your budget; while some cars may be cheap to buy as a used option, it'd not be cheap to maintain.

The good options would be Dzire / Manza etc. Even a well maintained Esteem is a good option I guess.

I doubt an SX4 will be that cheap, considering the OP is based out of Chennai.
Thanks for the suggestions. Have looked into the service costs and have considered some amount as stand by when the need arises. Tires , planning to replace them soon after buying the car, hence have considered like 20k for the tires. Insurance wasn't too high considering the IDV of these cars aren't too high, but yes compared to my current car it will be high. Most importantly the running cost is going to shoot up as the FE is like half of what a Nano gives.
Old 29th January 2017, 00:26   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Will be considering the SX4 as well. Have a pulsar 180, which now is hardly used for 1k kms a year. So fun bike is out for now ☺
When looking at SX4s, do keep in mind that it will need a suspension overhaul at somewhere around 1.2L kms. Pre-VVT models didn't give great FE figures either, but it made up for it with the robust build and nice handling. Decent power on tap as well.
I have a friend who is selling his for around 2.7L in Hyderabad. Clocked around 90k kms. So I guess you should be able to get lesser mileage ones in 2.5-3.5L.

Last edited by Rohan24 : 29th January 2017 at 00:30. Reason: Added Quote
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 02:03   #385
Senior - BHPian

With the bare minimum usage of our cars during last 1-2 years, I couldn't justify myself to get a new or other car for my wife who is using A-Star A/T since last 3 years. Also the Ignis is having AMT so being ruled out with heavy heart.

But last week we came across very well maintained i20 A/T which is 2 years older than our A-Star. As we got bored of our A-Star we replaced it with i20 A/T Asta 2009 Sept model by paying 74000/- extra but the value addition we are getting is worth it. Not only 2 Airbags, we all know that i20 is loaded to the gills with features as well as very spacious especially compared to A-Star.

Though I really admire the steering and compactness of A-Star (Its sold with 2 doors abroad) but am very satisfied with the decision. It will also help in breaking the mental block of my wife as she doesn't feel comfortable driving a big car (she refused to use Ford Fusion for her personal use despite me explaining that over 75% of Fusions are being driven here in Goa by females). She is loving the upgrade and I am happy from inside as my plan has succeeded and I can see her driving EcoSport A/T in an year or two.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 15:40   #386
APV
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,
I am using Etios GD(2012, 48K Kms on Odo) for my daily commute which is 44Kms to & fro in city traffic.

Recently the lateral upgrade bug has gotten to me, clubbed with XUV500 mania.

Assuming I get around 5L for my Etios & a 2015 XUV500 W8 is on offer at 15L. Looks like I will have to shell out 10L for this upgrade.

Do you think it makes sense for me to go for this upgrade or am I taking too bigger leap. Please advice.
Old 31st January 2017, 15:47   #387
Team-BHP Support

1- Your usage (~10-12k / year) doesn't really warrant a diesel anymore.
2- I am also guessing that you do not need 7 seats.

So, why an XUV ? Why not a Honda City automatic ?
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 16:14   #388
APV
BHPian

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for adding little more confusion

Yes usage does not really warrant diesel but I would need 6 seats for family trips.
Old 31st January 2017, 17:23   #389
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post

Assuming I get around 5L for my Etios & a 2015 XUV500 W8 is on offer at 15L. Looks like I will have to shell out 10L for this upgrade.

Do you think it makes sense for me to go for this upgrade or am I taking too bigger leap. Please advice.

The XUV5OO's ownership experience is going to be completely different from that of the Etios. Especially when considering a used XUV. If you can stretch upto 15L and keen on a 7-seater, why don't you look for a used Pajero Sport or a slightly old Fortuner?
These two trucks will be far more reliable than the XUV and will serve you will well for Lakhs of kms. If a people's mover is your requirement then it's best you get an innova. You can always remap it. A few days back I drove an old Innova which was remapped by Viezu. The overall performance was brilliant. Do consider these options.

Asit

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th April 2017 at 09:42. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 18:02   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
Assuming I get around 5L for my Etios & a 2015 XUV500 W8 is on offer at 15L. Looks like I will have to shell out 10L for this upgrade. ....
Isn't 15L for a 2015 W8 a bit too much? If the resale down south is so high, then the possibility of a used Pajero/TFort can be effectively ruled out.

If you need 6 seats then can't see anything wrong with your choice mate. Bargain hard though! Do look out for a used Strome as well, hopefully the resale is still not good enough so you might save some moolah in the process.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th April 2017 at 09:43. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks