Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2006, 23:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
While "power" cable needs to be 20 times thicker in car as compared to home audio systems with similar power ratings, the "speaker" cable requirement should not change much. Because for power supply the voltage is reducing by 20 times, but for speakers both home and car speakers commonly have similar nominal impedance ratings. The most common range is 2-8 ohm. What I am trying to say is that to produce a given amount of power from a given speaker, actual voltage/current requirement (which is fed by AMP to speaker) is going to be same, irrespective of whether the AMP is powered by 12V or 220V.
I thought most people on the forum kinda knew that, but that's right in any case.

But anyway, it doesn't translate into: All kinds of home audio speaker wire can replace car audio speaker wire. Some home audio speaker is made with lower jacket thickness and is not usually as durable as speciality car audio speaker cable, which is expected to withstand snaking around various parts, getting pulled a bit here and there and sometimes even coping with higher than normal temperatures. Also, car audio speaker cabling needs to have a flexible jacket rather than a very stiff and rigid one found on some home audio speaker cables, this is difficult to turn tight corners. Kicker has some nice cable jackets, really flexible.. the blue one's if anyone's seen em.
Old 19th August 2006, 00:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Some home audio speaker is made with lower jacket thickness and is not usually as durable as speciality car audio speaker cable, which is expected to withstand snaking around various parts, getting pulled a bit here and there and sometimes even coping with higher than normal temperatures. Also, car audio speaker cabling needs to have a flexible jacket rather than a very stiff and rigid one found on some home audio speaker cables, this is difficult to turn tight corners.
Right on. Home audio cables are not designed to withstand the elements and the automotive environment like car audio specific cables are. over the years we have used all kinds of cables in cars and I can honestly say, some of the most exotic, expensive home audio cables dont fare well in the car. I have experienced first hand, issues with (even expensive) home speaker cables losing insulation and shorting. Stick to car audio cables for more reasons than one.
Old 19th August 2006, 10:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Agreed! this thread is primarily discussing wire sizing aspect due high current requirements, so I just compared speaker wiring with power cables. There are many other aspects pointed out by B&T and gunbir which must be addressed in any car setup. While it may sound obvious to experienced people, it may not be so for lay men.
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great Effort Sam & others. I always wondered about the need to have thick wire but it makes complete sense to me now after looking at the details given. Thanks again
Old 2nd September 2006, 16:11   #20
BHPian

20 times thicker, isnt that too thick??? i got thick wires, but not "20 times" thick!!! and am able to go cool till now. no worriez at all as yet.
Old 31st October 2006, 17:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

So we all agree that thickness matters

Now how much do the brands matter...?
I was reading somewhere that, most of it is only a marketing gimmick, as long as proper thickness of wire is used, the brands hardly make any difference.
Old 31st October 2006, 17:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

I belive Brand will matter as the quality of wire also matters besides the thickness viz. quailty of connectors, quaility of insulation material on wires etc
Old 31st October 2006, 18:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

So what are the best brands?
Old 1st November 2006, 01:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
So what are the best brands?
ST,

I have used Audiobahn amp kit, Audiobahn Speaker cables and Somer cables for woofers in innova.
Build and sound quality is awesome but dont go for any unbranded cables.

I also have used Monster cables its also good.

Mugen.
Old 1st November 2006, 10:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
So we all agree that thickness matters

Now how much do the brands matter...?
I was reading somewhere that, most of it is only a marketing gimmick, as long as proper thickness of wire is used, the brands hardly make any difference.
You r right but some not so good brands and almost all cheap [like chinese amp kits] dont follow thickness standard,say if a kits is supposed to be 4g but it wont have that mnay strnads of wires inside as compared to any high quality wire.

And its not just thickness of wire as whole which matters but the thickness and quality of insulation material used is also very important.

Chinese kits which have flooded the market appear to be thick but if u look carefully,these have less no.of strands of wires inside but the thickness of insualtion material is unnecassarily more,obviously of cheap quality.

So if u r looking for good quality wire do look for no.of wire strands,quality and thickness of insualtion material used.
Ihave been using auudison wires in my system and very much satisfied with this brands.Monster,JL audio,JBL,Kicker,phonexic gold r other good brands.
Old 1st November 2006, 11:46   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I have said it before, I will say it again.

If you are on a budget and looking for good power cables, please do not buy unbranded crap.

Go to an auto electrical store and buy finolex power cables. They are fantastic value for money.
Old 1st November 2006, 21:09   #27
BHPian

Honestly Sam. How does Finolex rate? Sometimes you make poor guys like me happy. lol.
Old 1st November 2006, 22:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

a normal finolex power cable of 25 mmsq that is equal to 4 gauge wire is about 50 -70 rs per meter approx....
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

and guys please consider stranded cable for car use. 25mm sq. solid core wont install easily. ;-)
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

And In case you are using a super duper amplifier and cannot get thicker than 25sqmm(4 ga.) finolex cable, it is perfectly ok to use 2 leads to the main power and 2 to the earth. (Basically, run the wire twice through)
Of course this is only needed if you have a real beast of an amplifier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks