Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2007, 16:10   #46
BHPian

hi,

just wanted to share my experience with boss wires....

my ice - pio 944 amp, hertz esk165 comps, hertz es380 sub, infinity ref 6x9 rears, pio 6850 HU. the infinities are on the HU rest on the amp.

the amp was powered by boss wires for quite a while, the problem i was facing was dimming of lights with heavy bass notes.

a month back i decided to change the power cable. i bought L&T multi strand 16 sqmm cable and replaced the boss cable with it. i was shocked with the result...the dimming of lights had reduced considerably(around 90%). there was an improvement in bass as well.

i dont know the reason behind this so can anyone explain what really happened?

IMHO, its better to spend money on the industrial wires rather than buying boss or any other fake or unbranded cables.

cheers clip
Old 2nd May 2007, 17:00   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
a month back i decided to change the power cable. i bought L&T multi strand 16 sqmm cable
Pio 944 would be happier with 25mm sq.
Think cable resistance.
Old 2nd May 2007, 17:14   #48
Team-BHP Support

Are industrial thick cables shielded well enough, or we need to wrap them in aluminum foil? The only problem then would be the connectors fitment DIY(if any)
Old 2nd May 2007, 17:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Pio 944 would be happier with 25mm sq.
Think cable resistance.
hi navin,

should i upgrade to 25 mm sq. cable?

can you explain why the heavier cable made the difference in my case(dimming lights)?

cheers

clip
Old 2nd May 2007, 18:44   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Are industrial thick cables shielded well enough, or we need to wrap them in aluminum foil?
TSK, we are discussing strictly POWER here. No need for shielding of that kind. The kind of shielding you are thinking of is AUDIO cable, not power cable.
Old 2nd May 2007, 19:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
TSK, we are discussing strictly POWER here. No need for shielding of that kind. The kind of shielding you are thinking of is AUDIO cable, not power cable.
Ya as the power cable is carrying the DC current and the other wires carry AC current....and the need for shielding is required only then when there is some emf is created that is only created when a AC signal is there.....
Old 2nd May 2007, 19:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi,

just wanted to share my experience with boss wires....

my ice - pio 944 amp, hertz esk165 comps, hertz es380 sub, infinity ref 6x9 rears, pio 6850 HU. the infinities are on the HU rest on the amp.

the amp was powered by boss wires for quite a while, the problem i was facing was dimming of lights with heavy bass notes.

a month back i decided to change the power cable. i bought L&T multi strand 16 sqmm cable and replaced the boss cable with it. i was shocked with the result...the dimming of lights had reduced considerably(around 90%). there was an improvement in bass as well.

i dont know the reason behind this so can anyone explain what really happened?

IMHO, its better to spend money on the industrial wires rather than buying boss or any other fake or unbranded cables.

cheers clip

the 944 takes max 80 amps peak when connected in 2 ohms bridged mode....so a 25mmsq or 4 gauge will provide nice juice to the amp for the job......

the 16mmsq would have higher resistance when compared to the 25 mm sq....and the BOSS wire would have most resistance when compared to the all.....it means that the 25 mm sq would have least voltage drop across it....and the 16 mm sq would be a bit more but the BOSS will have major voltage drop.....

here is a calculator use it to see the drop....

Stealth 316 - Wire Resistance and Voltage Drop Calculator
Old 3rd May 2007, 13:06   #53
Team-BHP Support

you can double up on the 16mm sq cable. why waste it.
Old 3rd May 2007, 13:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very nice Idea....even I am running a pair of 4 gauge wires.....
Old 7th May 2007, 03:48   #55
BHPian

hi,

navinji, lbm, what wire size should i look for if i wanna add a monobloc(around 400 rms)? shoul i use a big single wire and a distribution block or 2 wires?

cheers
clip
Old 7th May 2007, 10:44   #56
Team-BHP Support

clip, LBM has posted a chart for this a few times.
Old 7th May 2007, 17:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
shoul i use a big single wire and a distribution block or 2 wires?
Page 1 of this thread has Amps power requirements VS AWG size

If $$ is not a constraint go for the 25mm sq and do a single run.
Though Navin sir has allready pointed out that you can put your existing 16mm sq to good use by doing a DOUBLE run

If you compare the core wire thickness of the industrial stuff to the fancy power cables in accessory shops you will be There's hardly any strands of copper in the supposed 4ga of the run of the mill china maal.
Old 7th May 2007, 17:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

here is the link again.....

Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes

if you are using two 16 awg wire here is a method to make them connect them and get a 3 amp output......

Old 8th June 2007, 01:06   #59
BHPian

hi guys,

i hope this is the appropriate thread to post my queries. im upgrading my cars power cables to make my amps life a little bit easier.

Quote:
navinji,
i gave a thought to your above mentioned advice. although, it is a really good suggestion to avoid wastage, i dont want to double it up cause it is a thick wire(16mm^2) and it will be a pain to pass it through the firewall. also it would be a little more difficult to snake it around inside.
it cant be installed in the bottom plastic trim near the doors(im not too sure) as the plastic trim will get loose with time and come off becuse ill have to force it to lock in place(the trim doesnt have screws, it has a threaded kind of plastic screw type lock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
If $$ is not a constraint go for the 25mm sq and do a single run.
Though Navin sir has allready pointed out that you can put your existing 16mm sq to good use by doing a DOUBLE run

If you compare the core wire thickness of the industrial stuff to the fancy power cables in accessory shops you will be There's hardly any strands of copper in the supposed 4ga of the run of the mill china maal.
hi, souljah

the idea is great but a little difficult for me to implement for the reasons i stated above.

i compared my L&T 16mm^2 and an L&T 8 gauge to the BOSS's 8 gauge cable(Buy our shi##y stuff, another name after gunman's buy our stupid sh#* lol), i couldn't stop laughing. hahahaha its a shame on our part(to buy the crappy Chinese stuff) and on our governments part to allow these sub standard cables etc to land on our shores.
they should do something to curb this menace.

ill say it again...its better to buy industrial wires instead of the bad Chinese and fake jbls etc. but Chinese wire are still cheaper than the equivalent gauge good Indian wires so people buy the boss cables without really investigating the facts(quality issues).

lastly, my question regarding the dimming lights still are unanswered. why did the dimming of lights got reduced by 90% ? whats the reason behind this?

the smaller gauge cable is getting less current than a heavier gauge wire so how will make a difference?

does this mean that the smaller gauge wire takes more current than the heavier gauge wire due to the resistance? (current converting into heat due to resistance in the wire? )

please clarify my doubt. navinji, samji, lbm, gunman, B&T.

navinji ive bought L&T's 25mm^2 multi strand cable today and im going to install it rightnow. lets see what the end result is. i hope it makes a difference otherwise my 1.5k will be wasted. lol thanks for the advice

cheers
clip
Old 8th June 2007, 02:43   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
navinji ive bought L&T's 25mm^2 multi strand cable today and im going to install it rightnow. lets see what the end result is. i hope it makes a difference otherwise my 1.5k will be wasted. lol thanks for the advice

cheers
clip

clip first you install it and let us know the result....

and how much wire did you bought for 1.5k I can get approx 10 meter wire....

Most Viewed