Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 15:37   #106
BHPian

Very informative posts!
I have a query of my own - I recently installed a Kenwood KAC 8401 4 ch amp driving a Bull Audio sub and Bull 6.5" components in the front. I have used the Bull Audio 7ga wiring kit. Just wanted a reconfirmation whether the wiring used is good enough for my present set-up or do I need to use 4ga wiring?
Thanks.
Old 5th December 2008, 15:45   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefls View Post
Very informative posts!
I have a query of my own - I recently installed a Kenwood KAC 8401 4 ch amp driving a Bull Audio sub and Bull 6.5" components in the front. I have used the Bull Audio 7ga wiring kit. Just wanted a reconfirmation whether the wiring used is good enough for my present set-up or do I need to use 4ga wiring?
Thanks.
Ya you will be happy with that. No need to spend more.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:45   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Ya you will be happy with that. No need to spend more.
Thanks for the confirmation LBM! I am more than happy to save some vitamin M
Old 14th March 2009, 11:38   #109
Senior - BHPian

If Finolex/L&T can be fantastic VFM options for power/ground use in automotive environment, then why can't it apply to speaker/sub wires as well? Say 10-12AWG (4-6 mm2), if they have a flexible variety made for industrial use?
Old 14th March 2009, 14:58   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
If Finolex/L&T can be fantastic VFM options for power/ground use in automotive environment, then why can't it apply to speaker/sub wires as well? Say 10-12AWG (4-6 mm2), if they have a flexible variety made for industrial use?
It can be but it is good if we use the Finolex till the power level only. I would go for a good speaker cable.
Old 14th March 2009, 15:18   #111
Senior - BHPian

LBM, I just wanted to know the reason(s)!
Old 14th March 2009, 22:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

i don't know much about this but i will never use finolex/l&t for my audio,
there must be some difference between the two,amp kits(any good brand) and finolex if not then why are they so expensive.

i think guru's can shed some light on this.
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:20   #113
BHPian

Any answer to karan's question? What is the difference between these two? This seems interesting..
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
there must be some difference between the two,amp kits(any good brand) and finolex if not then why are they so expensive.

i think guru's can shed some light on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Any answer to karan's question? What is the difference between these two? This seems interesting..
This is a very debatable question. For me while using the finolex wire and a good branded power cable makes to me no difference except the cost involved. For me the power cable has only one job to transfer the current required by the amp from the source battery/alternator. Beyond this I cannot think of any other aspect which will directly linked to SQ part. I have done chemical analysis of both the wire in which the Finolex was having 99.9 % copper and the branded one had 95 %. So in other words finolex is better.

Leaving aside the technical part there are few things called aesthetics like the branded power cable will look bling and the finolex will look dull and black. The branded cable would be more flexible when compared to the finolex. So if the user want some bling he/she can spend approx 10 times more to get. It all depends on what the user wants.

For speaker and rca I would suggest to go for good brands. I may be wrong gurus can shed some light on this.
low_bass_makker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:30   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if the user want some bling he/she can spend approx 10 times more to get. It all depends on what the user wants.
I never wanted to, but still "had to" go for branded power cables
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:34   #116
Team-BHP Support

I fail to understand how can copper of same oxygen content from one manufacturer can be different from other. Mostly it looks like a hype created by people in audio business to make shady money. If you sell a copper cable for 50,000rs definitely you will make a lot of money even if you give hefty discount. So you can actually cheat your customer and make him feel special with the 50% off!\
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:57   #117
BHPian

Quote:
This is a very debatable question. For me while using the finolex wire and a good branded power cable makes to me no difference except the cost involved.

For speaker and rca I would suggest to go for good brands. I may be wrong gurus can shed some light on this.
I agree 100% in terms of power cables, the branded one seems a marketing gimmick. But what about speaker cables? Can we use a thinner finolex wire for speakers as well? Or will it affect the sound quality? If it does affects, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I never wanted to, but still "had to" go for branded power cables
How can someone force you to buy branded ones?
Old 23rd July 2009, 18:57   #118
Senior - BHPian

You have the money go for the costliest. This is not a mercedes to maruti comparison.

Good cable matters for RCA only since it carries low power signal, needs to be shielded to prevent electronic noise.

For power and speaker any good wire having more copper than bling will do the job better. in other words whichever has least resistance dose it better. speaker wires are not shielded.

Other than this another issue is the flexibility of wire due material and thickness of insulation, thickness of the strands and its number matters.

I had a terrible time routing a 2g finolex power wire to my amplifier.

When i was buying the wire in a reputed shop he had 2g cable of both finolex and monster. monster with its shiny red colour was looking nice. when he was cutting a piece of it for another customer he used normal wire cutter and it sliced through with ease. when he was cutting the finolex for me his assistant used a metal hacksaw. both were of same thickness.
For speaker also i picked up another cable due to the quality of copper in it. speaker wire also caries current not sound and its a power connection to speakers; i mean its not weak as what RCA carries. to create interference in it you need some really strong interference not possible in normal cars.
So if you want your money's worth buy wisely.

How do you think the industry survives? buy a connector from milan for 200 or pick same from lamington for 20. i had such experience.

Still there are branded good ones also but costing a bomb.

Last edited by gigy : 23rd July 2009 at 19:01.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:13   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
How can someone force you to buy branded ones?
No, I didn't mean it was done at gun point! I wanted to get things installed by any of the well known installers. Talked to 4-5 of them, but all of them ridiculed me when I told them to use Finolex/L&T for power cables. Then I offered to provide it myself, but then I came to know that none of them "work that way"! Did not have enough experience/patience/tools to DIY. You get the point, I suppose.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:58   #120
BHPian

Speaker wire is also important in terms of size and strands for the same reasons but the jacket is not as important because it will not see the same chemicals as the power wire. When shopping for speaker wire, look for oxygen free copper (OFC) wiring. The size of your speaker wiring depends on the amount of power going to your speakers and the length of wire from the amplifier to the speakers. Most systems will need to use 16 gauge to 12 gauge wire.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks