Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2008, 13:35   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
What the installer did while changing the power cable was to connect the negative of battery to amplifier ground terminal and then take another ground wire from there to the chasis...
... thereby creating a nice ground loop which is injecting interference!

The installer is unaware of the wiring conventions in a car, i.e. one terminal of any electrical load gets connected to the battery distribution through an appropriate fuse (& control relay, wherever appropriate), and the other is connected to the nearest ground (chassis) location, thereby saving 45% of copper, The chassis serves as the second (return) conductor.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:27   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
... thereby creating a nice ground loop which is injecting interference!

The installer is unaware of the wiring conventions in a car, i.e. one terminal of any electrical load gets connected to the battery distribution through an appropriate fuse (& control relay, wherever appropriate), and the other is connected to the nearest ground (chassis) location, thereby saving 45% of copper, The chassis serves as the second (return) conductor.
Well, I tried to eliminate that problem, by simply removing the ground loop. Now the wiring is back like the old one, except for the change in power cable.

Unfortunately, the newly crept 'krrrrrr' sound remains. :(
Old 30th May 2008, 16:43   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

It is not possible that the alternator whine would be induced by changing the power cables. More often it is due to the RCA cables, wither a change, or a change in position.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:51   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It is not possible that the alternator whine would be induced by changing the power cables. More often it is due to the RCA cables, wither a change, or a change in position.
Sorry if I was not clear.

Alternator whine wasn't induced by changing the power cable. It was always there. I (unsuccessfully) tried to eliminate it while I was also changing the power cable.

The power cable induced a new sound 'krrrrrr' from front speakers.
Old 15th June 2008, 12:50   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Sam,

Got my system fitted at the JBL store at Bandra (W). I had fitted the following equipment from them as mentioned below: -

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P7750MP (Now changed to Pioneer DEH-P6950UB)
Rear Spakers (Fitted on the parcel tray) - JBL GTO 936e (Now changed to JBL GTO 937)
Components in the front doors - JBL GTO 606Ce (Planning to change to JBL GTO 607)
Components in the rear doors - JBL GTO 606Ce (Planning to discard them)
4-channel Amplifier - JBL GTO 75.4
Monoblock Bass Amplifier - JBL GTO 301.1
Bass Tube - Infinity 1200

I spent almost 60k on the whole system. The sound is great but was very disappointed with the fitting. I have alternator whine and the 'thump' too. Spent around 2k only on the cables. Ive even showed the fitting to 'Bass and Trouble' and as a matter of fact still have to go to him and get the whole system re-fitted with better wiring. He could'nt believe that an authorised JBL store could do just a casual job and also mentioned that the wiring were not upto the mark and worth 2k. Ive also been told that i have too many speakers in the car and hence want to discard the rear components.

Kindly advise.

Hi guys,

Finally got the entire wiring of my system changed yeaterday through Zohir from Boom and believe me i was shocked at the results!!! I always guessed that my system was capable of producing good, clean and crisp sound but never guessed it would be this good. Anyway, the original setup was as mentioned above and all i did was get rid of the rear components, change the entire wiring and get the headunit and amps set. I am very very happy with the sound now. Alternator whine has vanished too. The culprit was nothing but poor quality of wiring and a casual install.

Anyway, sincere thank to Ajay, Zohir and Prince for all the advise and trouble taken to make this happen. Zohir has done an amazing job with the install, wring and sound setting. Thanks again.
Old 15th June 2008, 18:52   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Finally got the entire wiring of my system changed yeaterday through Zohir from Boom and believe me i was shocked at the results!!! I always guessed that my system was capable of producing good, clean and crisp sound but never guessed it would be this good.
Hey Epic! Great to hear that everything is sorted out perfectly. Sorry I couldnt be in touch etc on Saturday.

As I had mentioned, the system was perfectly good, and some re-installation and minor changes (mainly cabling) was all that was needed to make it sound great. Glad it's taken care of. Cheers!
Old 19th June 2008, 01:04   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Voila ! Rearranging reduced the sound to a large extent. I think I'll need to change to better RCAs. Speaker wires have already been upgraded to Illusions.
Update: I'm listening to whine-less music for a couple of weeks now. It went away after I installed the second amp. The new amp is now driving the front components AND with a brand new twisted pair (I think) Scosche RCA for the front channels.

Looks like the RCA change did the trick.

However, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for sometime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks