Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2007, 00:36   #1

Audio for Ford Fiesta

Hi, this is my first post, so E&OE!
I've recently bought a Fiesta 1.4 eXI, and was in a tearing rush to install an audio system - bought and installed a Blaupunkt Bahamas MP 46 cd player, and Blaupunkt GT 5x7 speakers in the rear, deferring the difficult decision of the front speakers. Have not got any amps yet, looking for advice from the experts. Have spent around 13k, am willing to shell out another 5 - 6k for a really good effect - am not looking for a BOOM, so sub's out. The problem is that the front door has a 5x7 speaker cavity, and I am not sure I should be fiddling around too much with that (to avoid any rattling and such other sounds)

I also seem to be getting very poor FM reception (whenever I do listen, which is not very frequently), but it is bothering me. What could that be due to? I have got the showroom fitted antenna, so that should not (ideally) be the cause?

thanks in advance for your help
K
Old 4th January 2007, 09:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP ICE, koolbud! :-)

Keeping that stock location (5x7) will be a bit tough, and will limit your choices a lot. The options that I know of, off the top my head are:

1) Hertz ESK570 (2-way components with a 5x7 midbass): No idea of price. But it certainly will be more than 7K. These will sound really good for sure -- but will not blend-in with your rear-speakers.

2) Blaupunkt ODx573 (3-way co-axial, 5x7): These are co-axials and not components, so they won't sound as good as components. But you will have minimum install hassle as you can just drop them in and forget about wiring up and installing a tweeter. These will have trouble going with the rear speakers, but will blend in better than the first option. I think these run to about 6.5K, but I'm not sure.

Or, you can go fro the same speakers that you have fitted in the back. The sound will blend-in nicely, and you will keep within budget. You may have to fade the sound forward a bit to make sure the soundstage stays in front.

I'm not sure if JBL has 5x7s.

Could you post pics of the front-speaker pods of the Fiesta? Maybe we'll be able to say how much modding will be needed for a proper 6.5" speaker to be installed. You'll need to lose the factory grille and stick with the speakers grille anyway, if you go for a size other than 5x7. I think using a spacer will let you get the install done without cutting, but with the speaker sticking-out just a little into the cabin. Going for a proper 6.5" will always be better. More options, better sound.

Last edited by hydrashok : 4th January 2007 at 09:18.
Old 4th January 2007, 12:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I'm not sure if JBL has 5x7s.

Si senor. We have GTO527 somewhere. Do we? I dunno actually.
Old 4th January 2007, 14:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

I thought 527 were 5" coax. Koolbud the ODx 573 might be your best bet but I would see if one can fit a pair of 6" coax instead.
Old 4th January 2007, 14:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

A front door size of 5X7 sounds funny. Are you sure of this.
Old 4th January 2007, 15:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Just checked. We just released the GTO8627, direct fit for all ford cars. No templates required. From the name it's obvious it's an 8X6, but checked with the installers, it fits in all fords.
Old 4th January 2007, 16:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Isn't that a tad too big for the front doors. Are these for the rears Sam or for the front?
Old 4th January 2007, 16:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The same speaker fits on the rear and the front of the Ford Fiesta.
Old 4th January 2007, 17:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbud View Post
Hi, this is my first post, so E&OE!
I've recently bought a Fiesta 1.4 eXI, and was in a tearing rush to install an audio system - bought and installed a Blaupunkt Bahamas MP 46 cd player, and Blaupunkt GT 5x7 speakers in the rear, deferring the difficult decision of the front speakers. Have not got any amps yet, looking for advice from the experts. Have spent around 13k, am willing to shell out another 5 - 6k for a really good effect - am not looking for a BOOM, so sub's out. The problem is that the front door has a 5x7 speaker cavity, and I am not sure I should be fiddling around too much with that (to avoid any rattling and such other sounds)

I also seem to be getting very poor FM reception (whenever I do listen, which is not very frequently), but it is bothering me. What could that be due to? I have got the showroom fitted antenna, so that should not (ideally) be the cause?

thanks in advance for your help
K
Since there is not such a wide choice in 5x7 speakers and you if you are not satisfied with the options available, you could install a 5x7 to 6.5" or 5.25" adapter and fit any speaker of those sizes.
Old 4th January 2007, 20:04   #10

Thanks everyone.
Yes, the front door has a 5x7 cavity for speakers. I did think of fitting the GT 573 (same as the rear), but they are currently out of stock and I've been told they may be withdrawn from the market...God knows why!

I take it the GTO 8627 are JBL? I did check out the OD 573, but apparently they may be a tad too big for the HU I have installed - from a power comsumption pov. Is my understanding correct? Please advise which amp I will need to buy, if at all with either the GTO or the OD.

K
Old 4th January 2007, 23:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbud View Post
Thanks everyone.
Yes, the front door has a 5x7 cavity for speakers. I did think of fitting the GT 573 (same as the rear), but they are currently out of stock and I've been told they may be withdrawn from the market...God knows why!

I take it the GTO 8627 are JBL? I did check out the OD 573, but apparently they may be a tad too big for the HU I have installed - from a power comsumption pov. Is my understanding correct? Please advise which amp I will need to buy, if at all with either the GTO or the OD.

K
If you plan to get an amp, then the ODs are not 'too big'. The choice would have to be based on musicality. Never heard the OD 5x7s, if the GTO 6x8s are like the rest of the speakers from that series, they must be good. But a million 5.25" & 6.5" compo sets around the budget will murder the products you are contemplating, including the OD and GTO comps.
Old 4th January 2007, 23:32   #12
BANNED

I think the Hertz 5X7 will sound great in your car.
I would definitely recommend you to get those. Atleast listen to one Hertz component system before you decide on the final speakers.
Old 4th January 2007, 23:58   #13
BHPian

Do what B&T said.. Put in an adapter or a spacer or something and get component speakers. JBL has some good ones that might be within your budget I picked up the GTO606C for six thousand bucks a few months ago... they have a newer model now with a much better crossover and some other improvements. If the 6" compos dont fit then put in the 5" compos.

Components are better than coaxials any day. Later on you can spend a bit on a simple 2 channel amplifier to power them and the sound in your car will come alive.

I believe that the Fiesta also has some provisions for tweeters on the dash near the windshield. Or maybe I just saw some slots and assumed the tweeters sit under them.
Old 5th January 2007, 06:50   #14
BANNED

Fitting 6.5" components using spacers/adapters is also difficult due to the door pad design.
The best option is to choose a front component setup which will match your already purchased rear speakers.
Try listening to some different brands and makes. You'll know what you want and what suits you best.
Old 5th January 2007, 09:38   #15
Team-BHP Support

Your HU will probably put out about 8-10W rms. adequate for simple needs. If you are looking at adding an amp the Pioneer 6100 at 7K is about the lowest starting point. Sony makes a 4ch. amp (554) that is cheaper but the sound is a bit harsh for fullrange speakers (for driving a sub or 2 it make work fine).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks