Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 16:53   #1
BHPian

Speaker Upgrade

Hi Folks ,

Im pondering over a Speaker( Fronts only )/Amp upgrade..for my Santro.. I mostly hear Accoustic rock,Jazz Vocals,Classical.

I have:

Hertz Energy ESK 163 3-Way Components
Pioneer 6100F AMp ( Am thinking of upgrading to an Audisson LRX 4.5 or 4.1 or 6.9) - Suggestions here also most welcome
IDQ 10Inch Sub ( Single Sealed Sub)
Kenwood K-CD01 HU

I need suggestions for Better Compos for the fronts.. Need better mids and highs which are warm and more natural sounding...My budget is...well no use mentioning it as it will overshoot to the sky....

Last edited by sk456 : 9th January 2007 at 17:08.
Old 9th January 2007, 17:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Hertz Energy ESK 163 3-Way Components
Pioneer 6100F AMp ( Am thinking of upgrading to an Audisson LRX 4.5 or 4.1 or 6.9) - Suggestions here also most welcome
IDQ 10Inch Sub ( Single Sealed Sub)
Kenwood K-CD01 HU

I need suggestions for Better Compos for the fronts.. Need better mids and highs which are warm and more natural sounding...My budget is...well no use mentioning it as it will overshoot to the sky....
Another upgrade. Goody, goody...

Speakers
The logical upgrade path for speakers is HSK 3-way comps for the front. I'd stick to a regular HSK163. Maybe I'd go nuts and swap out the 163's midbass (the HV165L) for a HV200 (8" midbass) if the XO doesn't need modding too. They have detailed instructions in the manual (http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/file/pdf/manuale_HT20.pdf see page 11 of the manual/page 6 of the pdf file) about what needs to be changed where in the XO if you're swapping out speaker comps in the system. The manual say that you need a 3W.10 XO if you go for a HV200, keeping the same mids (HL70) and tweets (HT25). I guess it will cost mucho dinero if you start doing custom comps.

I'm sure Gunbir & JB can give inputs? I'm also interested to know (for academic purposes -- I'm done with myself for a while, heh, heh).

Amp
If you plan to lose the Pio Amp, and you have the moolah, I'd go for

-> the LRx5.600 (in 3-ch mode) or
-> an LRx2.500 & an SRx1 or
-> an LRx2.250 & an SRx1

If budget is a bit tight,
-> SRx2S and SRx1 or
-> SRx4 (in 2 ch mode) and the Pio Amp for the sub.

Or I'd keep the Pio Amp for the sub and go for just an LRx2.500.

All suggestions assuming that you want to keep your system Front+Sub only. An LRx5.600 will let you expand in future if you want rear fill.

The LRx5.600 has the additional advantage that you will save a whole lot on cabling and accessories (assuming you're gonna redo everything to Connection Audison -- unless you're already running Connection Audion wires). I really don't think you need to go for a 6ch amp.

At this level of equipment, there is no use in keeping a budget (not for us crazy folks). You will overshoot whatever you plan. It is best to keep an open mind (and wallet) so you get the best options, and you don't kick yourself in the backside the day after the install thinking I should have done this, I should have done that... You have taken the first step to blasting your budget to pieces by starting a thread, so lets fire away.

Last edited by hydrashok : 9th January 2007 at 17:57.
Old 9th January 2007, 19:20   #3
BANNED

WOW!! Nice to see this happening. SK456 is maturing up!!
And what a write up by Hydrashok!! Kudos man!!

I feel that you first change the amps as straters. Get an Audison amp and exchange/sell/gift that Pioneer amp. (I like accpeting gifts!). You'll feel a lot of difference by just doing that. Sure!!

If you are sure of going the whole hog, then get HSK163 3 way compos and change the Midrange to a dome midrange (HD500). It can run off the same crossover that comes with 163.
AMp should be an LRX in this case. If you have enough moolah, then get an LRX5.600 and keep it in 3 channel mode. Or get a set of HCX 165 co-axials, put it in the rear doors and run the amp in 5 channel mode to power them too.
If you don't want to spend so much on an amp, then get an LRX2.500 and run the sub from your old Pioneer.
If you think SRX is okay, then get an SRX4 and an SRX1.
Old 9th January 2007, 20:15   #4
BHPian

The high energy series with the dome midrange HD500 is definetly on my shortlist.. Am basically wanting better mids and tweets....

I was also considering the Dynaudio 3 way Esoteric series 342... has got rave reviws everywhrer....
Am wondering how the two will compare.... Anybody know if they are available in India?
Any other Amps I can look at guys?
Old 9th January 2007, 22:41   #5
BHPian

Audio gurus..where are u...only 3 posts so far....so dissapointing....

ok...To summarize my shortlsit so far:

Speakers:
1.Hertz High Energy Series Combo of:( Price 32K )

HT25 Tweeters
HD500 Dome Midrange
HV165 / HV165L Midbass

2. Dynaudio Esoteric 342 series 3 Ways ( Dunno price in India though )

These are two which I think could be within my "Budget"...

Amp- I think Audison is about the finest available wthin my "budget"...

Personally, any inputs regarding comparisons between the Dyns and the Hertz would be great.....
Old 9th January 2007, 23:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

I haven't heard these new products from Dynaudio. Even the System 220, 240 etc. were very good speakers. I'm a big fan of their home gear too. The home lines are distributed by a gentleman called Aditya Gupta. However he doesn't keep any car stuff. I had to import all of the sets that I have on my own.
Old 10th January 2007, 00:57   #7
BHPian

The HSK 163 3 way set comes with the following :

HT25 Neo Tweeter : You can change the tweeter to HT20 (smaller tweeter) with minor crossover mods.

HL 70 Neo Cone Midrange : No Changes possible with this crossover, for HD500 you have to go for different crossover which is 3W30.

HV 165L Paper Pulp Midbass : You can change to HV165 or HV200L without any mods depending on the listening taste.

3W10 Passive Crossover Network : In the above configuration if one wants to add another midbass driver then switch this 3W10 passive network with 3W20.

The other 3 way combos in Hertz range are as follows in increasing order of price :

HT25 (Tweeter) + HD500 (Midrange) + HV165/HV165L/HV200L (Midbass) + 3W30 (Passive Crossover)

SPACE 1 (Tweeter) + HL 70 (Midrange) + SPACE K6 (Midbass) + 3W40 (Passive Crossover)

Mille ML280 (Tweeter) + Mille ML500R (Ribbon Mid Tweeter) + Mille ML1600 (Midbass) + MLCX3 (Passive Crossover)

All 2W's are 2 way crossovers and 3W are 3 ways.

Last edited by Autophile : 10th January 2007 at 00:58.
Old 10th January 2007, 11:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

SRx3 is an amp designed for front-sub combos. I''d get that and if you even want to add rear fills a Srx4 later to drive the front (biamped) and at that time the Srx3 can be used for the rear and sub.

Dynaudio and Morel are known for a laid back sound. I have no idea if either is available in India though. I would still try to listen very carefully.
Old 10th January 2007, 12:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Dynaudio and Morel are known for a laid back sound. I have no idea if either is available in India though. I would still try to listen very carefully.

Morel Loudspeakers - Dealer Locator

Dynaudio - Authentic Fidelity

here is a addres for the morel and dyna ...preeti trading company he also deals in other brands like DLS, Mtx, and others .... talk to him for the any deal.....

the morel 3-ways are very expensive.....a bit of adivce from my side...in india there are not a large varitiey of 3-way avalable here....try to get them from dubai or singapore......you will get them very cheap there........with many option also......

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 10th January 2007 at 12:04.
Old 10th January 2007, 13:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Personally, any inputs regarding comparisons between the Dyns and the Hertz would be great.....
The Hertz ESK163.3W30 (custom set) is for around 32k while the Dyn set is for around 70k in India. No point in comparing apples to oranges.

BTW, SK... lottery kab lagi? And... guys... since SK is upgrading, any takers for a sparingly used ESK163 going cheap
Old 10th January 2007, 14:06   #11
BHPian

No lottery ...I wish.... such..just a bad case of "audio nervosa"... I think and i hope thats all I have.... as it is ive been visiting the doctor too many times lately......
Old 10th January 2007, 15:43   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
And... guys... since SK is upgrading, any takers for a sparingly used ESK163 going cheap
YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! When is the sale???
Old 10th January 2007, 15:54   #13
BHPian

Guys...Ive been flooded with PM's for the ESK 163's and the Pioneer amp... The yellow beauties aint out just as yet.... Will let you guys know when ive finalized my new stuff.... Cheers..
Old 10th January 2007, 15:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

should we close this thread? reopn it when SK is ready?

Last edited by navin : 10th January 2007 at 15:58.
Old 22nd January 2007, 00:06   #15
BHPian

guys a small step to my upgrade was undertaken today...got the damping done...
Good amount of damping was done on front doors, boot and the roof.. as much is possible on a poor old Santro..( not a great car for ICE )..

Post damping.... much more defined bass is now audible from the sub..plus the fronts of course also sound so much better......the irritating jarring from the doors are gone...

Most Viewed