Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 20:28   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delu View Post
A 2 way speaker usually have a woofer and a tweeter where the woofer produces the low and mid range frequencies and the tweeter produces the high range frequencies i.e. reproducing the short, high frequency wavelengths.

In case of a 4 way speaker the components are usually a woofer, a tweeter and a pair of super-tweeters which funtions same as the 2 way but because of the super tweeters it can handle very high frequency wavelengths thus produces a wide soundstage of superior sound imaging.

All speaker has a woofer and so does a subwoofer. But the subwoofer is made to handle and reproduce very low frequency sounds ranging between 20Hz to 125 Hz usually we call it as the bass.
can both component as well as co-axial speakers can be 2 way or 3 way?
it seems that 3 way speakers are better than 2 way speakers, true?

also, what are these 6x9 speakers? i read that they are better, why?
are these 6x9 speakers used only at the rear... if yes, are they co-axials?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 12th December 2008 at 20:36.
Old 1st January 2009, 15:54   #212
BHPian

Need for amp

In a set up without a sub, would adding an amp add any significant benefits, from an SQ point of view? I've seen some posts earlier which said that comps work best when powered by an amp. Does this hold good even at low/moderate volume levels? If so, does it mean that the HU's builtin amps always introduce some amount of distortion at all volume levels?
Old 1st January 2009, 17:03   #213
Senior - BHPian

nope. most HU's have relatively low power and low SQ internal amps, so the HU speaker output tends to be a bit less in quality than the output from the pre outs.
This is not always true. some HU's, like Alpine for ex have really good internal amps , and they sound as good as a dedicated amp within rated output
Old 24th January 2009, 12:52   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
In a set up without a sub, would adding an amp add any significant benefits, from an SQ point of view? I've seen some posts earlier which said that comps work best when powered by an amp. Does this hold good even at low/moderate volume levels? If so, does it mean that the HU's builtin amps always introduce some amount of distortion at all volume levels?
Most of the head-units have distortion, by and large it's directly depends on a clean power source. If you start the car the voltage levels would be close to 13.8Volts. We need to understand at volume levels the distortion starts, this you can check by playing a 1KHz at 0dB test signal and with an oscilloscope you can easily find out at volume stage your clipping occurs. Adding an amplifier will increase the DB level without distortion as the amplifier will have a voltage multiplier, you can use a 1KHz at -5 or -10dB test signal and tune the amplifier. A good SQ set up needs a Sub. The component speakers would sound good but cannot replace a sub in the car.
Old 24th January 2009, 12:56   #215
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kURETI View Post
Most of the head-units have distortion, by and large it's directly depends on a clean power source. If you start the car the voltage levels would be close to 13.8Volts. We need to understand at volume levels the distortion starts, this you can check by playing a 1KHz at 0dB test signal and with an oscilloscope you can easily find out at volume stage your clipping occurs. Adding an amplifier will increase the DB level without distortion as the amplifier will have a voltage multiplier, you can use a 1KHz at -5 or -10dB test signal and tune the amplifier. A good SQ set up needs a Sub. The component speakers would sound good but cannot replace a sub in the car.
Though I'm a total misfit here, I can vouch for this statement. I'm seeing the result in my car.
Old 24th January 2009, 13:59   #216
BHPian

By the way, How's the sound effects in your car right now. After the tune up.
Old 24th January 2009, 14:06   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kURETI View Post
By the way, How's the sound effects in your car right now. After the tune up.
It's exactly the way I always wanted.
Old 6th April 2009, 20:02   #218
BHPian

I have the aux input in my car audio. What all can I connect using this aux input?

can I connect a mobile phone like n73 which has some music and play songs from the phone. Can I connect a VCD player?

I really to not want to control the aux from my music system?
Old 13th April 2009, 16:32   #219
BHPian

Aux (auxiliary) port is just a analog audio in port where music is actually played by an external player (phone/ipod/mp3 player/vcd/dvd) device and the car Music system (HU+Amp+Speakers) just ampify it and give output through speakers. It is a 3.5mm stereo jack same as the universal headphone jack. You need a cable with 3.5mm headphone type jacks at both ends. Like you plug your headphone to your phone/mp3 player/vcd/dvd, plug one end to the player and the other end to the aux port. Play the music in source, set the HU to AUx (in some case it automatically switches to AUX) and enjoy the music. The aux usually doesnt control the source player, but just recieves the signal from the source player like a headphone, and amplify/output it.
Old 13th May 2009, 17:01   #220
BHPian

In the Pio HU, among the audio settings there are terms such as SLA, FIE etc. What do they stand for?

Also, how would a 10" sub sound if installed in the rear tray (MDF) of a Santro? The co-axial in the rear are Audiobahns (really nice!). I use a 2-channel Blaupunkt to power them. I have a pair of 4" JBL in the front and they are pretty useless as the rear speakers drown them completely.

Would it make sense to install a 4-channel amp to power both ends? Or should i bridge the current 2 channel to power a 10" sub? (when i buy it)
Old 29th September 2009, 14:57   #221
Senior - BHPian

Noobie question!!!

I have Kenwood 6043u HU in my Spark and Hertz DCX 100 co-ax at front and Polk DB690 at the rear. I listen to all kind of music from Indian Classic, 90's bollywood, Gazals, Rap, Pop, rock to hip-hop. Can anyone explain me the bass, treble and mid setting in detail and how it affect the quality of each type of music mentioned above.
Is it OK to keep all the setting in the middle?
Old 29th September 2009, 17:59   #222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Noobie question!!!

I have Kenwood 6043u HU in my Spark and Hertz DCX 100 co-ax at front and Polk DB690 at the rear. I listen to all kind of music from Indian Classic, 90's bollywood, Gazals, Rap, Pop, rock to hip-hop. Can anyone explain me the bass, treble and mid setting in detail and how it affect the quality of each type of music mentioned above.
It's not possible to recommend you a ready-made setting virtually !

And, also a single setting will not work beautifully for all the music genres. So experiment with the settings !
Old 1st October 2009, 12:09   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Noobie question!!!

In an ideal world, all the settings are kept on flat (zero, disabled, centered). But considering that you run co-axes, you might experiment with increasing bass by 3-4db. Mid and Treble are strictly according to taste.

Always remember that any such equalization usually makes the music sound worse than better. But then, everyone has a unique set of ears and listening preferences.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:53   #224
BHPian

Noobie query and Mods please delete in case this has been answered in this thread -

What do we mean by try to go active / passive with the component speakers? What does this mean, how is the sound output affected?
Also pls point me / share any good source for 'gyan' on ICE setups.

cheers, Sam
Old 25th October 2009, 16:04   #225
Senior - BHPian

Passive drive: supplying a full-range amplified signal to a passive cross-over, which then splits the range as appropriate for (mid)bass, midrange and tweeters (3-way) or mid-bass and tweeters (2-way). This is how a majority of the systems are implemented

Active drive: amplifying the signal with individual amplifiers *after* splitting the signal with active or passive cross-overs. The (mid)bass, midrange and tweeters (3-way) or mid-bass and tweeters (2-way) are connected directly to the amplifiers and receive a signal individually prepared for them. One needs as many amplifier channels as the scheme, i.e. 6 for 3-way L+R, 4 for 2-way L+R. The advantage of driving this way is that one is able to fine tune the power / frequency delivery to individual drivers more than the passive drive, enabling one to create a more optimized sound image. However, this method is obviously costlier (more amp channels) and needs much more work and time.

Last edited by DerAlte : 25th October 2009 at 16:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks