Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2006, 17:33   #91
Senior - BHPian

Seroiusly telling B&T this is taken from a webpage saved on my comp and it is about subs would put the whole page if any info regarding sub is required.

Anyways what my real question which has been revolving in my head for quite some time and was thinking to ask is that. How to define a SQ setup.

Does only the costly equpment make it or just average stuff tuned in a good way will be nearly or less than the best SQ stuff when compared.

I mean to ask what is SQ. I have read at many places that a good pair of head phone can be used.
Old 1st August 2006, 18:49   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Ummm...I think B&T's making T. I am staying out of this one
Old 1st August 2006, 18:57   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Ummm...I think B&T's making T. I am staying out of this one
Lol no! I was actually counting on you to pitch in with some DJ-like gyaan.
Old 1st August 2006, 19:05   #94
Senior - BHPian

Guys get seroius we are talking SQ here not thinchk thinchk thinchk
Old 1st August 2006, 19:26   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

LBM is a walking onomatoepia (sp?)

Chin chin, boom boom, thinchk thinchk.

I vote we put all these words in the Glossary thread.
Meanwhile LBM, dhoom machale, dhoom machale dhoom.
Old 2nd August 2006, 01:39   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
B&T this is gonna be a nice topic here is something to kick start it. Here only sub is discussed will be talking about other things later.....

SPL
If your goal is sheer output, and you don’t mind sacrificing decent sound to accomplish that goal.............
LBM, we would appreciate when you "googlopyaste" please mention your source. There have been instances in the past when the author/owner of the original material have dropped by to object on such. I think its a better idea to link to such a source rather than copy paste here with no credit to source.

anyways, the source is: http://www.iroczone.com/technical/Subwoofer/
Old 2nd August 2006, 02:08   #97
Senior - BHPian

Almost got it right Sam.... onomatopoeia!
Old 2nd August 2006, 02:28   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Seroiusly telling B&T this is taken from a webpage saved on my comp and it is about subs would put the whole page if any info regarding sub is required.
Thanks gunbir for the link as i have said before i would have pasted the whole link if some body has asked along with the link as i do before as i need support my answer

thanks again for "googlopyaste " for the link......lol
Old 2nd August 2006, 10:16   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
So LBM, from your account, an SQL system is one that does moderate SQ and SPL, without being very good at either. So what does that make a system which can hit 140 dB.... But don't people (does not include Navin, does NOT!! ) desire sound like that too? So what kind of sound is this then? A Nautilus on the other hand with comparable electronics would just massacre such stuff. ....
B&T I think we are talking very different applications here. Lets retain SPL as a pure SPL system will little regard to balance, SQ as a pure quality system will limited SPL capability and a SQL system that is capable of producing SQ at higher levels than most SQ systems.

1. 140db would sound bad no matter what as your ears would have overloaded long before that. Atleast it would not sound natural. 95db is loud enough to damage your ears if the level is sustained for periods longer than 45 mins.

2. The Nautilus (though well regarded) is not on my list of favourite speakers. I think it is too expensive and over-rated for what it does. It does do somethings well though and I have heard it at the BBC studios in London not an average listening room. Of the large speakers Dunlavy, VMPS, Soundlab, and even ALR's Factor 7 sound more balanced to MY ears.
Old 13th August 2006, 19:23   #100
BHPian

guys what is DSP or digital signal processing .how does it work.
Old 13th August 2006, 20:56   #101
Senior - BHPian

All About GAINS - Control and Settings

Here is something I found - Courtsey Van Dave @ Talk Audio

A few times recently i have seen people saying "the gains are all the way up". Put simply THIS IS 99.9% THE WRONG THING TO DO!!!

The gain control simply matchs the head units output to the amplifier, so the amp can be used with a wide range of kit.

Let us take a common mid range head unit here, say an Alpine CDA9853. This has a 2v output.

Now looking at most amplifiers they will accept something like 0.2v to 5v inputs. This means that for the signal level quoted the amp will reach full output - so with the gain at MINIMUM you would need a 5 volt signal, and with the gain at MAXIMUM you would only need 0.2v to do the same.

For a 2v head unit on this amplifier it would be somewhere in the 1/3 gain area to reach full output.

However there is an easy way to do this (reasonably) accurately and cheaply.

First off you need the following tools.

1 - A multimeter. If you dont have one then from any branch of maplin electronics you can order N20AX which is this item....

2 - A 50hz test tone recorded at 0db (Max level available). If you dont have one there is one here - www.utopiaaudio.co.uk/dave/50hz.mp3

What you do is this -

First off set your amplifier gain to MINIMUM.

Secondly set your head unit to about 7/8ths of the maximum volume available, and the subwoofer to about 50% of the available output. (For the alpine about volume 30 of 35 and subwoofer 7 of 15 would work)

Then set the tone playing on repeat. It is 30 seconds long.

Then setting the meter to AC voltage 0-200 range (which has the ~ symol on it ) put the 2 probes across the speaker terminals the sub is CONNECTED to. Then SLOWLY increase the gain.

You will notice the voltage numbers going up fast, and then there will be a point at which the numbers stop raising fast and then slowly creep up. AS SOON as they start to "creep" up turn the volume down until you find the point they drop off fast. That is your clean level on the edge of clip.

Well done. You are all set. !

The reason we do this at 50% sub output is to allow for the fact that lots of music is not recorded at max, to give the ability to have more gain for this.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by kb100 : 13th August 2006 at 20:58.
Old 13th August 2006, 22:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morten
DSP how does it work.
DSP is a Digital signal processor......is it a process in which a signal is processed in digital manner. there are many types of dsp for eg sound processing like in our HU, DAC (digital to analog converter) ADC (anolog to digital converter) all these are DSP`s .

here are some good write up about the dsp .......
http://www.bcae1.com/sampling.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal_processing

though audio DSP is not discussed above they are a branch of the above.....

One more thing I wanna add that DSP is a general name used at lots of places like pioneer use it on those model which have a EQ in them.....
Old 14th August 2006, 00:28   #103
BHPian

lbm does it mean that hu with dsp will give more sq than a non dsp one. yeah the 8650 and 8850 have dsp but i dont think so they write it because of eq i guess there might be some other logic also which i dont know .maybe the gurus of t bhp shed some light on it. lol
Old 14th August 2006, 09:24   #104
Team-BHP Support

OT: I just moved Home Audio related posts here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ice-forum.html
Old 14th August 2006, 10:12   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
Here is something I found - Courtsey Van Dave @ Talk Audio

A few times recently i have seen people saying "the gains are all the way up". Put simply THIS IS 99.9% THE WRONG THING TO DO!!!__________________
please look at this thread too if you want to know more about tuning your amps.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...your-amps.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks