Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2006, 10:14   #106
BHPian

navin ji please explain about dsp .
Old 14th August 2006, 11:44   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morten
lbm does it mean that hu with dsp will give more sq than a non dsp one. yeah the 8650 and 8850 have dsp but i dont think so they write it because of eq i guess there might be some other logic also which i dont know .maybe the gurus of t bhp shed some light on it. lol
morten what is ur question are u comparing the sq of 8850 and 8650 if u consider this then from my side u cannot do a comparision by listening only.....

also for pioneer relating to DSP they refer to graphic EQ with little of more things like SFC ( sound field controller), BBE and other likewise stuff......

i dont think dsp will affect on SQ the DSP will help in tunning the system to have overall flat response in the car which is altered by the acoustics of the car interoirs.....
Old 14th August 2006, 11:53   #108
Team-BHP Support

Before DSP came along the audio signal was processed in the analog domain. Analog processing was fraught with all sorts of compromises. So when digital processing was developed it became all the rage.

Digital processing allows one to process the signal (processes like equallization, time delay, dynamic range compression and expansion, source seperation, echo, reverb, noise cancellation, and areas involving psychoacoustics) without significant distortions.

Beyond Audio DSPs are used in everything from RADAR to EKG machines to Wifi Modems and Routers.

Today DSPs are used in most Home Theater systems and many high end car audio systems.

DSP is better explained here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal_processing

other sites worth visiting are
http://www.bdti.com/faq/1.htm#11
http://www.dsptutor.freeuk.com/

One of the first companies to develop DSPs for car and home audio was Yamaha. Bose for example is well known for its' work in noise cancellation and psychoacoustics.

Most engineering colleges teach this subject and specialize at the graduate levels. Berekely has one of the better undergrad programs on DSPs. http://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ee123/sp06/
http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/cat/course618.html

One of the better elementary books I have read on this was written by Lenoard Shaw and Mischa Schwartz.

Every majaor chip manufacturer from AMD to Texas instruments to Xlinx has solutions available for every possible application.
Old 14th August 2006, 12:26   #109
Senior - BHPian

navin this all is taught in collage in electronics and computer section which involve dsp such as dac adc modem and such similar stuff. this all works on PCM which is basic of all dsp`s. but here morten whats to know what a dsp in context to pioneer or related to car audio is ????

morten DSP in context to car audio is a genral term related to tunning of sound which is done by geq peq bbe sfc and other different standarads made by different companies to market there stuff ....like pioneer-> eeq the alpine -> mx and other companies related to there own new name....
Old 14th August 2006, 13:28   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
navin this all is taught in collage in electronics and computer section which involve dsp such as dac adc modem and such similar stuff. this all works on PCM which is basic of all dsp`s. .....
Sorry. I read Morten's question as a simpler query esp since it was ont eh Terminology thread instad on the Pioneer 8850 thread.

BTW DSPs not only use PCM but also ADM. Adaptive Delta Modulation. I favour ADM as it is simpler but PCM has such a huge lead and processor power is so cheap that ADM might die just like the Wankle engine (my college dream was to build a car with a Wankle mated to a CVT or IVT but that is another long story).
Old 14th August 2006, 13:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

Yes navin ji this DSP is a very large subject and cannot be covered by a small write ups . one has to understand what is analog and digital is and how do we convert them one in to another ..... also one has to understand what is SIGNAL PROCESSING first....when related to ICE DSP is normal called as sound processing like EQ and BBE and SRS.........
Old 14th August 2006, 15:40   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Yes navin ji this DSP is a very large subject and cannot be covered by a small write ups . one has to understand what is analog and digital is and how do we convert them one in to another ..... also one has to understand what is SIGNAL PROCESSING first....when related to ICE DSP is normal called as sound processing like EQ and BBE and SRS.........
More like..'DSP is a very diverse subject due to the various fields it is applied to'.

Functions like GEQ fall under 'Signal Processing', and this processing is not commonly done in the digital domain as should be the case with a true DSP. And if it’s done in the analog way, like Navin pointed out, you’re not harnessing the full benefits that precise digital processing can offer.

Yamaha abbreviates Digital Sound Field Processing as DSP, this is usually an effort to recreate the ambience of Church/ Stadium/ Concert/ Hall/ Disco/ Cave/ Bathroom/ Brothel environments for the music you are playing (ok, I made up the last 3). This is achieved by applying varying amounts of delay/ reverb to different frequencies, and there’s nothing that pisses me off greater than someone listening to Paris Hilton in Cathedral mode. In fact, anyone listening to Paris Hilton in ANY mode ought to be shot. I liked her in ‘One Night In Paris’ though, the reason being, she isn’t talking in most parts of the video. You know why!

In the 90s some pals of mine used the DSPs with cassette players. Wow, how digital is that? And there’s no way those machines converted analog signals to digital, processed it, and then reconverted to analog.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 14th August 2006 at 15:42.
Old 14th August 2006, 16:32   #113
BHPian

no lbm i am not comparing the two pios now. but i guess dsp should not be a very important criteria while choosing car audio.the only proper way i guess is to listen and decide .lol
Old 14th August 2006, 16:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Cave/ Bathroom/ Brothel environments for the music you are playing (ok, I made up the last 3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
In fact, anyone listening to Paris Hilton in ANY mode ought to be shot. I liked her in ‘One Night In Paris’ though, the reason being, she isn’t talking in most parts of the video. You know why!
How about listening to her in Brothel mode? I think it will fit her to a T!!!!
And we know why you liked her so much B&T!!
Old 15th August 2006, 23:19   #115
BHPian

yes b&t u are very right and this is the proper way to explain something and god knows i respect each and every person(wether a newbie or a senior) and their opinions on this fabulous forum but for some who just try to tell u that they are right and u are wrong.i have learnt a lot from this forum and someday i hope i will become a senior too. Lol
Old 16th August 2006, 13:57   #116
Senior - BHPian

One thing I wanna add here differnt types of sub enclousre...
http://www.trueaudio.com/boxchart.htm

Last edited by navin : 17th August 2006 at 10:50.
Old 19th August 2006, 22:43   #117
Senior - BHPian

myths about capacitors....

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/

good write up ........people plz put the comments on the same.....
Old 28th September 2006, 20:49   #118
Senior - BHPian

Bi-amping / Tri-amping ! With pix/diagram if possible
Old 29th September 2006, 10:58   #119
Team-BHP Support

Bi-amp and Tri-amp are related so I will only cover bi-amping. Tri-amp is just a extrapolation of bi-amping anyway.

lets assume one has a component speaker (it is easier to visualise when the crossover is in a seperate box) and a regular stereo amplifier. the HU is connected to the amp, the amp is connected to the crossover (usually 1 pair of wires) and then the crossover is connected (2 pairs of wires) to the woofer and the tweeter.

when one biamps the crossover (not the same crossover but a crossover designed to accept a signal from the HU -sometimes called an active crossover or a line level crossover pic shown here http://www.kicker.uk.com/pdf/signalP...p%20diagram%22) is before the amplifier so the HU is conected to the crossover. Now one needs 2 amps one for the woofer and one for the tweeter. so the crossover is connected to 2 amps and each amp is connected to it's respective driver (woofer or tweeter).

any guesses what happens when one tri-amps (hint: the crossover has 3 outputs woofer, midrange and tweeter).

this is home audio setup but it essentiall the same thing.
http://www.myryad.co.uk/downloads/bi...p%20diagram%22
Old 7th December 2006, 18:31   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
One thing I wanna add here differnt types of sub enclousre...
Box Chart
(n00b alert!)

What is the difference between a bass tube and a subwoofer? Or both are the same concepts, but the enclosure is different (which probably provides some function which a regular subwoofer enclosure may not provide)?

Agent Smith.
agentsmith is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks