Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2010, 14:02   #721
Senior - BHPian

Pioneer P80RSII OR Pioneer 7250SD??

Hi guys,

Im gonna try & keep this short as I am in a delima and need to make a decision really quick.

Previous setup

HU - Pioneer 6950IB
Comp - JBL GTO 606Ce
6X9 - JBL GTO 937
4ch Amp - JBL GTO 75.4
Mono - JBL GTO 301.1
Sub - Infinity Ref 1200T (in a sealed box)

Current setup

HU - Pioneer 6950IB
Comp - Morel Tempo 6
Coax - Morel Maximo
4ch Amp - JBL GTO 75.4
Mono - JBL GTO 301.1
Sub - Infinity Ref 1200T (in a sealed box)

As you can see I have only changed the speakers as I am on a very tight budget. This had made a huge improvement in the SQ and clarity of the system as compare to the previous setup. I would like to change my HU and wondering if changing to the Pioneer P80RSII will make a significant difference with the current equipment or should I stick to the current HU or a Pioneer 7250SD?

I do not want to change my amps or sub.

I have been getting mixed reviews on this as many have said that a high end head unit will not make a difference since the rest of my equipment won't compliment it; while many others have said that the high end head unit will make a huge/significant difference in SQ.

Taking into consideration my current setup and the huge difference in the functions/specifications and costs of the two head units, what do you guys suggest?

Pioneer P80RSII - Rs. 22k approx
Pioneer 7250SD - Rs. 8.5k approx

Mods - Did'nt want to open a new thread for this post & could'nt find an appropriate thread to post this query.
Old 21st August 2010, 14:26   #722
BHPian

You can go for the P80RSII but no USB support, please get that.

And can you confirm if there is a JBL GTO 601.1ii amp in mumbai for me.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:39   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
You can go for the P80RSII but no USB support, please get that.

And can you confirm if there is a JBL GTO 601.1ii amp in mumbai for me.
Hi,

Not interested in a USB port. Need iPod control only. I believe the P80RSII needs an adapter but the 7250SD is iPod Direct Control Ready (no adapter required, just a connection cable)

I believe the JBL GTO 601.1 II has been discontinued long ago. My JBL amps themselves are almost 5 yrs old and both models are discontinued. It would probably be very difficult to source the 601.1 II now.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:47   #724
Senior - BHPian

Epic.. compare apples to apples and not oranges. these 2 HUs are in different league altogether. If you want the SQ of P80 in the little more price range than 7250, clarion 785/786 is your best bet.
Old 21st August 2010, 16:26   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Epic.. compare apples to apples and not oranges. these 2 HUs are in different league altogether. If you want the SQ of P80 in the little more price range than 7250, clarion 785/786 is your best bet.
Hi Panky,

Yes I agree that these two head units are different leagues apart. My question was; taking into consideration my current equiment, will it make a good difference in SQ if I upgrade to a Pioneer P80/Clarion 786? Will my equipment compliment the highend head unit? Is this expensive investment worth it?

I do not want to spend 20k+ on a HU if it is not going to make a significant difference in SQ.
Old 21st August 2010, 16:39   #726
Senior - BHPian

if its a clarion.. yes!!
Old 21st August 2010, 19:02   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
My question was; taking into consideration my current equiment, will it make a good difference in SQ if I upgrade to a Pioneer P80/Clarion 786? Will my equipment compliment the highend head unit? Is this expensive investment worth it?

I do not want to spend 20k+ on a HU if it is not going to make a significant difference in SQ.
Hi Epic,

I used to have a Pioneer 5750 earlier running Illusion El 6.1 off a JBL 75.4 - Even i faced a similar doubt when my HU began to die out and i was all lost as the 9887 was not to my liking and expensive as well. However, i took the plunge on a Clarion DXZ and was truly astounded by the difference in the SQ improvement.

So Yes, I would safely say that the P80/Clarion should make a noticeable difference to the SQ from your current equipment. If it will help, i can offer you a listen in my car if you can come down to the western suburbs.

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:41   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Anger View Post
Hi Epic,

I used to have a Pioneer 5750 earlier running Illusion El 6.1 off a JBL 75.4 - Even i faced a similar doubt when my HU began to die out and i was all lost as the 9887 was not to my liking and expensive as well. However, i took the plunge on a Clarion DXZ and was truly astounded by the difference in the SQ improvement.

So Yes, I would safely say that the P80/Clarion should make a noticeable difference to the SQ from your current equipment. If it will help, i can offer you a listen in my car if you can come down to the western suburbs.

Cheers
Hey glad to get this post from you. This is exactly what I wanted to know whether a high end head unit will be worth the significant difference in SQ with the current equipment or not and u have hit the nail on the head. I will consider the P80 for sure now. I somehow do not like the looks of the Clarion DXZ 786. I live in the western suburbs myself so we must catch up.

Btw, what is the rest of your equipment like? And since this thread is about prices of head units; how much did u pay for the Clarion DXZ 786?
Old 22nd August 2010, 15:51   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hey glad to get this post from you. This is exactly what I wanted to know whether a high end head unit will be worth the significant difference in SQ with the current equipment or not and u have hit the nail on the head. I will consider the P80 for sure now. I somehow do not like the looks of the Clarion DXZ 786. I live in the western suburbs myself so we must catch up.

Btw, what is the rest of your equipment like? And since this thread is about prices of head units; how much did u pay for the Clarion DXZ 786?
Happy to help buddy. The HU cost me around 10-12K, though i did go the whole nine yards in bringing down the entire package. The rest of the equipment is Illusion EL6.1 and a 12'' sub running off a JBL 75.4

Good luck with your ICE hunt
Old 24th August 2010, 10:37   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
i really dont think its a possibility.....
you must have gone through this one:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...apability.html

try and source a more expensive unit of this,if available at all.

or............you can carry out some slice and dice on the innards of this unit and remove the transmitter stage, and put the output directly to the aux-in..
just a thought,sounds interesting enough, and its only 300-400 bucks now.
worth a shot.

and if it works,do let everyone here know...
Hi Mayyank,
Thanks again. Will try this and let everyone know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Buy a USB thumbdrive kind of MP3 Player (Transcend has one, has a tiny screen and it plays FLAC too) and connect it to Aux In using a 3.5mm stereo cable.
Thanks Sankar. Will try this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fink_ployd View Post
Kenwood 7014 with TA and lots of other tuning features retails for around 13k, pretty VFM premium HU
fink_ployd. My fav band. Don't screw their name please

Best Regards,
Old 27th August 2010, 17:23   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
Add one more Alto owner about to get Iced in Bangalore. I am expecting delivery of my k10 tomorrow...maybe we should go for a group discount
Did you get the delivery of the car yet?
Just curious what did you decide on ICE?

Cheers!
-Z
Old 30th August 2010, 14:39   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
Did you get the delivery of the car yet?
Just curious what did you decide on ICE?

Cheers!
-Z
The car has bee delivered and is undergoing its paces before I get around to a detailed review. As for audio, I plan to get it set up just after the first service. Currently inching towards a Pioneer, Nak 4 spkr, no-amp set up from Audio Planet, Koramangala. But would be awesome to hear your set up, and also need to pay a visit to Evo before I make my final decision.

Most of the other dealers I checked around have been super disappointing after Audio Planet. "Saar without amp and sub there will be no bass saar" (yeah, but I want sound clarity and best possible quality in my 20k budget dude, not the boomy thump....why is it so hard to understand?)

Last edited by u_chill : 30th August 2010 at 14:41.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:55   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
Most of the other dealers I checked around have been super disappointing after Audio Planet. "Saar without amp and sub there will be no bass saar" (yeah, but I want sound clarity and best possible quality in my 20k budget dude, not the boomy thump....why is it so hard to understand?)
Seriously Dude! Same story here. They didn't know how to put a 6.5" comps in my car. When i told them it can be done, they started arguing that it can't be done as the car has the provision for 4" in the front and blah blah blah

My car hasn't been fine tuned, planning to go to EVO probably on 13th Sept. I have to get my damping done too. You are most welcome to hear my setup once it's done.

Cheers!
-Z
Old 30th August 2010, 17:16   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
You can very well try the Pioneer 4190-SD. It has a front USB port and a SD card slot also. You get that at around 6K without B&W.

I got mine without B&W before 4 months for 6.3K. It is good.
What???!!! I spoke to some pioneer dealer in delhi over the phone and he quoted 8k for the HU with B&W. Without B&W it was 7600 he said. I don't know if he confused this with some other model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks for the suggestion bro. Will check the prices of 4190 too while I am at it.
Have you got any quotes yet? If you do please share, I guess I need to check out a few other places too to make sure I'm not getting ripped off!
Old 30th August 2010, 17:25   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What???!!! I spoke to some pioneer dealer in delhi over the phone and he quoted 8k for the HU with B&W. Without B&W it was 7600 he said. I don't know if he confused this with some other model.
Must be the Pioneer 7250SD. That retails for 8k in Mumbai too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks