Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2007, 16:10   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Jacob Koshy's place is no longer in Bandra. It shut down a while ago.
I told you guys I was dated. Appraoch everything I write like it was written in the 70s.
Old 16th April 2007, 18:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Reg Speakers

Hey ..wanted to know if anyone has auditioned the Speakers and Subs I listed and what are your opinion on the same. Also, any inputs on anyone using amplifier from Arc Audio, I plan to get them from US ..Hey Audiophile and B&T how bout going for 3 way in front with midbass in doors and mid n tweeter in kick panel setup. Havnt used 3way before would like to know the sound difference in 3way and 2way setup. Details would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16th April 2007, 18:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I told you guys I was dated. Appraoch everything I write like it was written in the 70s.
Hmmm... A HU with time alignment might help
Old 16th April 2007, 20:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Hey ..wanted to know if anyone has auditioned the Speakers and Subs I listed and what are your opinion on the same. Also, any inputs on anyone using amplifier from Arc Audio, I plan to get them from US ..Hey Audiophile and B&T how bout going for 3 way in front with midbass in doors and mid n tweeter in kick panel setup. Havnt used 3way before would like to know the sound difference in 3way and 2way setup. Details would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Hey Invisible,

Re your list; Focal 165K2P / Rainbow CS 278.28 / Morel Supremo 62W / CDT Audio ES07.2US Gold... here's my bit...

Having heard all the above (or at least similar products from the same range), I can tell you this. They ALL sound vastly different. For example; the Focals have a sharper, more detailed sound. Use with warm electronics (many are partial to a combination of Focal speakers + Audison amps) and you will be rewarded with a nice setup. But pair / install them wrongly and you could get ear bleeding loud treble and upper midrange. CDTs also sound open and have good attack. The Morel is warm all round while the Rainbow is IMHO the best blend of open, detailed and warm.

Re SUB : Arc Audio 12" Flatline / Boston Acoustic SPG555 / Image Dynamics IDMAX 12CRD4 / JL Audio W7 13" / Diamond Audio D912D4.

The ARC Flatline is essentially the iDMax12 as iD are the build-house for ARC subs. The Boston is the newest of this lot and sine I havent heard it yet, I can only go by its reputation... which is that its a good sub, but a bit pricey for what it does. The iDMax remains a favorite among high output subs due to the fact that it leans more towards SQ than SPL. The JLW7 is a no holds barred clean ref SPL sub and very pricey. The Diamond Audio subs are also nice but of late I have heard the company might be going under.

Without going into a detailed product review for each of these, maybe it will help if I put it this way, you need to know what you want. Describe to us in as much detail as you can the kind of sound you want and we can guide you further. Or better yet, listen to the above and you WILL know what you want.

Last edited by gunbir : 16th April 2007 at 20:54.
Old 16th April 2007, 20:57   #50
BHPian

There is a problem in doing kick panel install in Honda CRV, because the fuel lid and hood release latches are located in the driver side kick panel and also close proximity of accelerator pedal hampers the install.

More over the kick panel install is easier and better in LHD automatic cars as the kick panel on driver side is free because the accelerator pedal is on the right (towards the centre of the dash)
Old 16th April 2007, 20:58   #51
BHPian

Quote:
He has opened up at Santacruz Relief Road...
Address is
C-6 Shining Star Apartments
Daulat Nagar
Relief Road
Santacruz West...
Old 16th April 2007, 21:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gunbir

Thx bro for that detail summary. Well I know for the fact that speakers I listed arn't available here in bbay except for the focals. Now to audition them will be practicaly imposible in that case. After doing some research on google i know for the fact they all sound detail, clean. But to describe what am looking is something that has clean mids, a good midbass punch dnt want the sound to be towards the sharper end. Something that has warm sound and has a better upstage sound. Am more leaning towards the Rainbow and CDT Audio. Reason being of some of the reviews of ppl using these speakers have ranked them better then Focal, Morel, Dynaudio, Dls, where upstage sound is concerned. Now i know for the fact that everyone has their own taste and its not easy to judge what one wants in their own way. Just wanted to check if anyone here has heard them or as to what they think about them. As per the SUB looking for something that is high on SQ even on higher voloume. Which has soft punchy low bassline. Dont want it to be like a loud with heavy bassline hiting hard sub. Looks like i'd need to make a trip to a place where i can audition them as it aint gonna be a easy task.
Old 17th April 2007, 10:12   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6 View Post
C-6 Shining Star Apartments
Daulat Nagar
Relief Road
Santacruz West...
Is that the road that goes straight after you pass Juhu Garden on Linking Road? (BTW why is Juhu Garden in Santacruz?).

Last time Rajiv (of Lithos) took me to Jacob's place he was on 30th road.

I feel like kicking myself. He was so close to me when I lived in Santacruz (near Standard Chartered on SV Road) (last year) and I did not know.

Invisible, I have not auditioned speakers for a long time but this is what I know...
Morel and Dynaudio tend to sound laid back but many tell me that they feel the sound is too flat. I like them as they are easy to partner but with mellow electronics the sound is rather unispiring.

I have not heard CDT and DLS so I wont comment on them.

Focal can be a bit forward but partnered carefully can make fantastic music. In fact I believe that Focal might be more diffcult to work with (tham Rainbow, Morel and Dynaudio) but can deliver rrather sweet results (I have never heard them cause ear bleeding treble though - the HF is much too refined for that - over sweet is probably a better description). Gunbir's mix of Focal and Audison should sound good. If you are into western classical orchestras this combination could make your skin tingle.

Rainbow (CDT and DLS not withstanding) might be you best bet.
Old 17th April 2007, 11:32   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like Gunbir mentioned, all speakers sound very different from one another, and its very difficult to identify what might suit you best. The guys who rate CDT and Rainbow may not have the same taste as you, and although Gunbir describes Focal as an aggressive speaker (something that I agree with), for all you know, in a blindfolded test, you might like them the best. In such a scenario, your best bet would be to audition brands if the option is avilable. Just buying it because of someone's online review, especially at this level is quite absurd.

Like Autophile points out, there's no point trying to cram a 3 way into the CRV. And I'm sure he says it with very good reason, because I know Gunbir and Autophile to be staunch supporters of passive 3-way systems, unlike me.
Old 17th April 2007, 11:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that the road that goes straight after you pass Juhu Garden on Linking Road? (BTW why is Juhu Garden in Santacruz?).
Uh, I guess for the same reasons that SEEPZ (Santacruz Electronics Export Promotion Zone) is in Andheri East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I feel like kicking myself. He was so close to me when I lived in Santacruz (near Standard Chartered on SV Road) (last year) and I did not know.
I am at a loss to understand your sentiment.
Old 17th April 2007, 12:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

I remember few months back someone telling me DC DESIGN has ventured into Car audio installation which is handled by Bonito Chabbaria. Anyone had first hand experience with them? Am sure they'l be good at fibre glass moulding and in design but wonder how good they are with the knowledge of sound.
Old 17th April 2007, 12:37   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I am at a loss to understand your sentiment.
Jacob (atleast when I met him via Rajiv) was a good guy. If I had known he was so close to my last residenece I might have let him do my install (or atleast visited his shop).

Has he changed? Or was he good to me only becuase Rajiv was around? Some people in this industry have a chip on their shoulder others like Sam and you (and Rajiv) do not. It is nice to deal/meet with men like yourself (Sam, Rajv etc..).
Old 17th April 2007, 12:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jacob (atleast when I met him via Rajiv) was a good guy. If I had known he was so close to my last residenece I might have let him do my install (or atleast visited his shop).

Has he changed? Or was he good to me only becuase Rajiv was around? Some people in this industry have a chip on their shoulder others like Sam and you (and Rajiv) do not. It is nice to deal/meet with men like yourself (Sam, Rajv etc..).
No no, you're getting me wrong. I do not mean to say anything with respect to the gentleman on a personal level, good/ bad/ whatever. I just meant to say that, since when did you need to look for expert advice when it comes to an installation in your car.
Old 17th April 2007, 14:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I remember few months back someone telling me DC DESIGN has ventured into Car audio installation which is handled by Bonito Chabbaria. Anyone had first hand experience with them? Am sure they'l be good at fibre glass moulding and in design but wonder how good they are with the knowledge of sound.
The showroom and presentation is good. But as far as the installation quality and expertise is concerned I don't think they are upto the mark telling you by personal experience.

One person i know in bombay who can do very good job is Ajay Kamath (Bass & Trouble).

IMO CRV is an expensive car and don't give it in the hands of stupid installers to ruin it because once the damadges are done its very expensive to undo them, so be careful in choosing the installer. Moreover installation and tuning plays important role in final outcome of the sound. The most expensive equipment will sound bad if not installed properly.

You will need fiber glassing if you are using spare wheel tub for installation other wise there is not much requirement of fibre glass.

With one of our dealer we had two CRV's for install, one is already finished and the other one is about to. Stay tuned on TBHP for more info on these cars.

Last edited by Autophile : 17th April 2007 at 14:12.
Old 17th April 2007, 14:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, DC Trends does audio installs as well, they use reference products like Sony and RF (insert sarcastic smiley here). If you are familiar with the work they do on the cars, you have an idea what they do with the audio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks