Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 15:36   #61
Senior - BHPian

Dear Clip,

Please dont take my message in any wrong sense, I really appreciate your DIY spirit. But why on earth are you taking upon yourself the task of making an enclosure by sawing, screwing, gluing etc? Something that you can have your local carpenter do under your guidance while using all 2 of his brain cells! At less than a 10th of what your time must be worth!! Something more creative, skilled and specialized I could understand, but sawing planks to size and putting them together for someone like you? Thoda reverse gear hai bhai!

Best Regards,

B&T
Old 12th October 2007, 01:19   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Dear Clip,

Please dont take my message in any wrong sense, I really appreciate your DIY spirit. But why on earth are you taking upon yourself the task of making an enclosure by sawing, screwing, gluing etc? Something that you can have your local carpenter do under your guidance while using all 2 of his brain cells! At less than a 10th of what your time must be worth!! Something more creative, skilled and specialized I could understand, but sawing planks to size and putting them together for someone like you? Thoda reverse gear hai bhai!

Best Regards,

B&T
hi b&t,

why would i tak e it in a wrong sense bhai? :-) i understand what you trying to say.

yes i agree a carpenter would take 10th of the time i will. but i wanted to do it myself and im really enjoying it. and please dont think that just to prove im a DIYer, im doing this. no no no. its just that i love what i do(everything related to audio) honestly.

making an enclosure without any skill is a really tough job. but im doing fine. next time i will take much less time to build an enclosure im sure. i have learned quite alot of box building.

cheers
clip
Old 12th October 2007, 04:30   #63
BHPian

Clip,

Pics awaited!!!BTW what specs are you working on, for the enc?
Old 13th October 2007, 02:45   #64
BHPian

Enclosure stuffing

How much stuffing should be done for an eclosure with the volume of .80 cuft ?what material can be used for stuffing?like polyester wool!
HOw much quantity ideally should go in to a box!!What are the basic do's n don't of stuffing,any writing on this would be of great help!
Is it a polyester wool?ImageShack - Hosting :: box3qj0.jpg

Cheers!
Old 13th October 2007, 10:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
How much stuffing should be done for an eclosure with the volume of .80 cuft ?what material can be used for stuffing?like polyester wool!
HOw much quantity ideally should go in to a box!!What are the basic do's n don't of stuffing,any writing on this would be of great help!
Is it a polyester wool?ImageShack - Hosting :: box3qj0.jpg

Cheers!
So you got two subs. How thick the wire is for the subs. And from where did you got the Polyester wool. you can get poly fill from reliance pillow.
Old 13th October 2007, 10:49   #66
BHPian

please read again dear.
He is merely asking.
Nothing brought yet. And that is exactly why he's posting
Old 13th October 2007, 11:01   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How much stuffing should be done for an eclosure with the volume of .80 cuft ?
the thumb rule for sealed boxes is 0.5-1lb per cu. ft.
Old 13th October 2007, 11:02   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
please read again dear.
He is merely asking.
Nothing brought yet. And that is exactly why he's posting
Ok I also thought that they were looking like idq and they are Tool`s subs.

Ok I have also mentioned in the earlier post from where to get the poly fill reliance pillow. one pillow for a 8 or 10 inch sub is more than enough.
Old 15th October 2007, 01:25   #69
BHPian

Sub Problem Continues,,,,,

Today got the enclosure changed,rishab got a new one made according to specs(Last one was on specs too)!!Fixed the sub in it!!!But again that slapping sound is there, HU settings are on flat on bass or treable or Subwoofer level all on 0,!!!This result was real pain in the heart,
One more problem,Shouldn't be using that word rather i would say it's a finding,enc mounting area's diameter was according to Spec's,when we tried to mount the sub in the enc it didn't fixed in properly and when we rotated with sub diameter by 180* it fixed in properly we felt it quite strange,can any one throw some light on the reason behind it!!!!!
we used the saw to change the dia to accomodate the sub, finally we did it!!!
Played on the music,pushed the voulme(Below the level at which distortion set's it) again the sound was there!!!!Now that sound is really bothering, i mean if this is happening at all flat settings what will happen when the sub level is on higher side!!!!
Then we changed the sub,played on a 15"hertz of clip,on same setup fantastic bass i mean even on sub level+15, there was no alein sounds!
And rishaab used the my sub again same sound was there in his setup!!!

Now i have turned my sub off!!!!!!!Won't use it(already down by cost of two subs enc and more imp the effort rajat and rishaab put in on enc the result is same),though at normal volumes it's working fine!!!but when pushed little bit,that sound is there and it hurts alot!!!!!
Plz advice what to do!!!!!!!
Old 15th October 2007, 11:15   #70
Team-BHP Support

Gill, I'm sory but which subs do you have?
Old 15th October 2007, 11:56   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today got the enclosure changed,rishab got a new one made according to specs(Last one was on specs too)!!Fixed the sub in it!!!But again that slapping sound is there, HU settings are on flat on bass or treable or Subwoofer level all on 0,!!!This result was real pain in the heart,
Try using the sub in a ported box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Gill, I'm sory but which subs do you have?
It is Image Dynamics ID10D2 V.3 D2
Old 15th October 2007, 12:12   #72
Senior - BHPian

Gill Saab

Try reducing amp gains a bit, they may be too high. Also try inverting phase and see if you get more output. Sometimes the sub is out of phase and when we try to give more power to make it louder, we end up over driving the sub.

There is also a possibility that the voice coil got misaligned, in which case it would be making a different sound than what you describe. Do check the above and let us know. Either ways, if there is anything wrong with the sub itself, we will send give a replacement if required. After all, thats what warranty is for.
Old 15th October 2007, 12:16   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
It is Image Dynamics ID10D2 V.3 D2
and it hit's Xmax. I am surprised. Gunbir!!!..aaah I see you have already posted.
Old 15th October 2007, 12:52   #74
BHPian

[quote=low_bass_makker;595413]Try using the sub in a ported box./quote]
LBM already tried two boxes,man i need to pay for them bhai,moreover the noises are on all seetings flat,i am not playing it at loudest volume,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Gill Saab

Try reducing amp gains a bit, they may be too high. Also try inverting phase and see if you get more output. Sometimes the sub is out of phase and when we try to give more power to make it louder, we end up over driving the sub.
@Gunbir gains were set using multimeter and recpective test tones again last nite for the sub and front compos!!!We also inverted the phase,nothing much changed,,

Rest what ever was tested and tried will be explain by Clip n SS in detail cause they are better person to discuss in detail!!!
Old 15th October 2007, 13:39   #75
BHPian

hi,

dont worry gill, every thing will be allright. see its all good now. if there is a problem with the sub it will be replaced. like gunman said "thats what warranty is for" .

as for what we did yesterday, i think i checked everything. i checked the phase, set the gains with a dmm. but the problem is still there.

and like gill explained earlier, the sub when mounted upside down, it fit properly and when mounted normally it wasn't going in. now, if the sub is perfectly round, it should go in which ever way you mount. that is strange. or maybe im missing some thing. and yes, it could be a possibility of the VC being misaligned.

and i noticed a really strange thing, the holes at the back of the cone(for ventilation of the VC?) i could see some thing in 1 of the holes. maybe there is something in that cone thing which makes this sound? the cone has two layer at the back right? with 4 holes in it? i couldn't see properly what it was. it looked like some wire strands. i could be wrong cause it was quite dark but there was something im sure. Gill, can you click some pics of that thing and post? you will have to unmount the driver.

and that 15 incher sure rocked. i really enjoyed listening to my sub in gills car. i wish i had a hatch back.

cheers
clip

@ LBM,

ported enclosure is not a solution lbm. the sub shouldn't have that sound. sealed or ported.

cheers
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 15th October 2007 at 13:43.

Most Viewed