Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 12:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
How does the 5039U compare with the 6539U, other than the fact that the former costs 5K and the latter, 10K? Is the additional 5K in price, worth the money?
Having heard and used both, I can tell you it's well worth the money. BTW the 5039 retails for Rs 8K with B&W so the difference is less than 2K.

The 6539 has
- Better DAC > Better imaging, tighter bass. Better overall sound.
- Better display > You get much more information on the 3 line dot matrix screen
- Customizable lighting > you can match this with your dash color tone to get a near identical shade
- iPod direct connection > Just plugging in your iPod straight into the USB gives you complete functionality that other HUs need extra cables or expensive interfaces for.
- Bluetooth expansion > if required.

If you are an iPod user, the 6539 makes all the sense in the world. If you don't want iPod functionality, and have a non amped budget system (under 15K) then even the 5039 will do nicely.

Cheers!
Old 21st October 2008, 16:10   #47
BHPian

got a 7539 BT from Blue raven for my HC ( the old NHC with the new model coming out) - sounds good - havent changed the speakers but did feel the diff between the stock alpine and the new sytem
Old 21st October 2008, 18:08   #48
BHPian

What are the current grey market prices for the 5039U and 6539U ?
Old 31st October 2008, 15:08   #49
Team-BHP Support

Just fitted a Kenwood 5039U with JBL GT5-S265C compos in front doors and GT5-S265 coaxials in the rear door of a friend's Safari.

The 5039U costs Rs.8500 with bill and warranty.

Good features were:
- ipod direct connectivity
- 2 preouts
- has separate HPF settings for front and rear channels.

Negatives:
- joystick is fidgety
- ipod shows as an usb device so no album info or playlists. You see folders which are created by itunes so it's impossible to find the song you are looking for. it's better to use ipod through aux than usb.
- if the HU slot in the dash is low then the display top portion is not visible.

sound wise it was pretty good and I preferred it over the Pioneer 5050UB.

As a comparo the 5090UB costs Rs.9,990 with bill and warranty.
Old 31st October 2008, 15:22   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Just fitted a Kenwood 5039U with JBL GT5-S265C compos in front doors and GT5-S265 coaxials in the rear door of a friend's Safari.

The 5039U costs Rs.8500 with bill and warranty.

Good features were:
- ipod direct connectivity
- 2 preouts
- has separate HPF settings for front and rear channels.

Negatives:
- joystick is fidgety
- ipod shows as an usb device so no album info or playlists. You see folders which are created by itunes so it's impossible to find the song you are looking for. it's better to use ipod through aux than usb.
- if the HU slot in the dash is low then the display top portion is not visible.

sound wise it was pretty good and I preferred it over the Pioneer 5050UB.

As a comparo the 5090UB costs Rs.9,990 with bill and warranty.
Good review! My experience with the unit has been similar. I really think you should have gone for the 6539U (Rs 9990). That has iPod direct USB and better features, and even better sound.

Cheers!
Old 31st October 2008, 16:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Good review! My experience with the unit has been similar. I really think you should have gone for the 6539U (Rs 9990). That has iPod direct USB and better features, and even better sound.

Cheers!
Is 6539 available in grey? How much?
Old 31st October 2008, 17:06   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Is 6539 available in grey? How much?
Can't answer your question, but if you'd ask me, you're better off purchasing any Kenwood HU with B & W (2 years being the warranty period).
Old 31st October 2008, 18:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Can't answer your question, but if you'd ask me, you're better off purchasing any Kenwood HU with B & W (2 years being the warranty period).
I agree, and as far as I know only the 5039U is available in gray in Delhi. I have seen the 5039U sell for around 5-5.5K
Old 31st October 2008, 18:19   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Cheers!
Yeah Gunbir, I tried convincing my colleague but he said he was satisfied with 5039U.

Oh so that's what USB direct control one wire mean. I couldn't find the meaning anywhere on the kenwood website or the india catalogue booklet.

I was trying to see what the difference is between the 5539U and the 5039U. Both had identical specs apart from the usb direct control one wire which only the 5539U had.

I believe the 5539U is not available here.
Old 31st October 2008, 19:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

iPod direct one wire control means you can control your ipod from the HU. You can browse through your collection by Album/Playlist/Artist etc just like you do in your iPod with the help of the right knob in Kenwood HU.
Old 31st October 2008, 23:25   #56
Team-BHP Support

The 5039U does not have iPod direct one wire control but it still allows you to control the ipod from the HU if you use USB. You cannot control from ipod even in that. Only problem it recognizes as a usb drive so the music folders are encrypted in itunes format. Impossible to find a song.
Old 1st November 2008, 00:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

By controlling the iPod means all the iPod functionality. Otherwise its just being detected as a USB drive which is almost useless due to the way iTunes stores songs on iPod.
Old 16th January 2009, 23:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
- Reads Apple ipod shuffle (old and new), nano and other ipods as usb drive.
- Haven't tried AUX but i bet it works good.
So you connected the iPod through USB? Does the USB/AUX work with 2nd gen iPod Mini as well?
Quote:
Saw the new series at a dealers today. Here's the pricing (with B&W) I was told:

5039 - 8500
6539 - 10000
7539BT - 15600
Gunbir, are these updated prices? Has the 6539 started to appear in grey now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver baleno View Post
How does it compares to alpines / pio's at that price range?
How is the build quality - any mechanical noises that you notice, time taken to read CD's, overall look and feel.
I too am interested to know answers to these specific queries from end users. I find the build quality of Pio 5050 very fragile/delicate.
Quote:
Having heard and used both, I can tell you it's well worth the money. BTW the 5039 retails for Rs 8K with B&W so the difference is less than 2K.

The 6539 has
- Better DAC > Better imaging, tighter bass. Better overall sound.
- Better display > You get much more information on the 3 line dot matrix screen
- Customizable lighting > you can match this with your dash color tone to get a near identical shade
- iPod direct connection > Just plugging in your iPod straight into the USB gives you complete functionality that other HUs need extra cables or expensive interfaces for.
- Bluetooth expansion > if required.

If you are an iPod user, the 6539 makes all the sense in the world. If you don't want iPod functionality, and have a non amped budget system (under 15K) then even the 5039 will do nicely.

Cheers!
My music is played only from USB and iPod. In this case, is it worth switching over to 6539 from Pio 5050, for want of better SQ and less brightness?

Also, does USB and iPod connectivity cables come in the box or need to be purchased separately?

Could you also elaborate on the Bluetooth expansion? AFAIK, it would require a Bluetooth car kit right?

Finally, how is the availability of steering remotes for the 6539?
Old 17th January 2009, 00:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you connected the iPod through USB? Does the USB/AUX work with 2nd gen iPod Mini as well?
Yes connected shuffle (the one that looks like a usb stick) and 160 GB new one through USB but it detects them as USB. 6539 will detect them as iPod though

Quote:
Gunbir, are these updated prices? Has the 6539 started to appear in grey now?
Not yet :(

Quote:
I too am interested to know answers to these specific queries from end users. I find the build quality of Pio 5050 very fragile/delicate.
I might upgrade to 6539 though i will compare it with maniks 6050 before i buy it. Though i am looking towards Alpine with TA

Quote:
My music is played only from USB and iPod. In this case, is it worth switching over to 6539 from Pio 5050, for want of better SQ and less brightness?
You are near Delhi you should audition the unit.

Quote:
Also, does USB and iPod connectivity cables come in the box or need to be purchased separately?
You need the ipod cable which comes with ipod to connect it to the HU. NO extra cable is needed and there is no extra cable supplied with the units though 6539 has a USB cable which comes out from rear. Check the image:
http://images.sonicelectronix.com/im...ig/kdcx592.jpg

Quote:
Finally, how is the availability of steering remotes for the 6539?
I saw Kenwood steering remotes online and IMHO they are BAH! better buy what frank bought.

Though i heard 2009 units are ready to make their way to the market but not sure. Anyone have pics or any information on them ?
Old 17th January 2009, 14:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Yes connected shuffle (the one that looks like a usb stick) and 160 GB new one through USB but it detects them as USB. 6539 will detect them as iPod though

Not yet :(

I might upgrade to 6539 though i will compare it with maniks 6050 before i buy it. Though i am looking towards Alpine with TA

You are near Delhi you should audition the unit.

You need the ipod cable which comes with ipod to connect it to the HU. NO extra cable is needed and there is no extra cable supplied with the units though 6539 has a USB cable which comes out from rear. Check the image:
http://images.sonicelectronix.com/im...ig/kdcx592.jpg

I saw Kenwood steering remotes online and IMHO they are BAH! better buy what frank bought.

Though i heard 2009 units are ready to make their way to the market but not sure. Anyone have pics or any information on them ?
I am in Mumbai dude! Need some Bombay guys to give an audition!

I too would prefer an upgrade to Alpine, for want of TA. But Alpine does not have affordable USB friendly models and thats where the buck stops.

Any idea about the 2009 range? Models? Prices?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks