Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 10:22   #31
BANNED

One great HU of all times, Alpine 7998! Also known as the Phantom face! This was known as the 2nd best to the #F1 status. I would die/kill/sell ma ride to own one!

Right now, through out the world, Alpine 9887 seems to have won a lots of hearts. Both from regular users and critics.

The Eclipse 7200 mkII is now out with some very good features and it seems like an amazing HU with only pre-outs and no internal power IC. It also features an all copper body to minimize noise/distortions. The Fujitsu build quality is something to die for! I bet this HU to be one of the best available these days.

Kenwood is producing some good SQ oriented HUs and they are excellent when it comes to certain combos.

Clarion is a master of high end HUs and HX-D2 is simply outstanding.

Now, coming to the threadstarter's query, I don't really see a need for changing the HU. If an upgrade is necessary , Alpine 9886 is what I will recommend. Anything above will be an overkill as B&T suggested.
Old 20th August 2008, 10:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

Epic, the jump from the 6950 to any of the above mentioned HU's will show a tangible difference.

I was using an Alpine 9830 (stock skoda HU) from day one with my illusions and couple of weeks ago I switched to the Pio 7950. I could instantly tell the difference :(
Old 20th August 2008, 11:30   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
One great HU of all times, Alpine 7998! . I would sell ma ride to own one!

If an upgrade is necessary , Alpine 9886 is what I will recommend. Anything above will be an overkill as B&T suggested.
Zak, if you sold your ride what use would the 7998 be? Does the 9886 have TA?
Old 20th August 2008, 12:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Navin,
He could use it for his new ride which is not too far on the horizon.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am impressed with the many answers and suggestions but then also confused :-)

As i have already mentioned the current setup i am running and also the changes i am planning to make; i have noticed that many of you have mentioned the Pioneer P80, Alpine 7998 & Alpine 9887. Since i have always been a fan of Pioneer headunits as they are very dependable & longlasting, so i am more inclined to a Pioneer unit. But please feel free suggest if the Alpines are better.

Now the reason to upgrade to a better headuint and speakers are hoping to achieve the following: -

1. Better Sound Quality
2. Cleaner sound and frequencies without changing/upgraging the amps (not yet atleast)
3. Higher/better output (supposedly highend headunits have higher voltage output from the pre-outs which helps)

Do let me know if the above can be achieved as i would'nt want to invest in highend headunit if it would not make a difference.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
One great HU of all times, Alpine 7998! Also known as the Phantom face! This was known as the 2nd best to the #F1 status. I would die/kill/sell ma ride to own one!

you mean this one Zak?

Believe me this is one is muuuuuuuuuuuuuch better that the 9887 in SQ. Get me a Hi energy sub and I will get you one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
High End Headunits-dsc01349.jpg  

High End Headunits-dsc01338.jpg  

Old 20th August 2008, 12:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Believe me this is one is muuuuuuuuuuuuuch better that the 9887 in SQ. Get me a Hi energy sub and I will get you one of these.
quicksilver, are you listening?

Slightly OT:
@Zak: There is a brand new 7998 in Kochi that was salted away for years and years. Lots of luck trying to get it, though
Old 20th August 2008, 12:44   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Don't look any beyond a Pioneer P80 or an Alpine 9887. Anything more than these two will be overkill.
I thik you mean the P800PRS, the P80 was out when I was looking at the 9835.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:16   #39
BHPian

Hi Epic,

I am one of the proud owners of the P80RS. Recently I upgraded m Swift's ICE. While upgrading I asked the same question in the forum and it raised the debate among the ICE guru's especially Naveenji and Bhagwan where not very happy with Alpine. Thats why I went for Pioneer P80 which belongs to the reference series of Pioneer. I have now connected to GTO 1004 and GTO 3501 (GTO1204BR) along with GTO608c and GTO638 speakers. And since I could control the 16 Equalizers to my liking I think It is good to have a hi end HU. P80 comes with built-in TA where as I think for the alpine you have to purchase the IMPRINT kit which is around 11K. Another thing with Pioneer P80 RS is it is IPOD adaptor ready and you will have to purchase it separately which might cost you another 5K.

But I liked P80 more than the Alpine 9886 which I auditioned.

Rest is left to your ears!!!
Old 20th August 2008, 15:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
...Ofcourse i have only based this on the pre-out voltage which is 5V in the case of the Pioneers as compared to the 4V in case of the Alpines :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
epic , there are so many factors to this. pre out voltage is just one of the criteria
Eggjactly. And then again, if you feel a bit weak in the pre-out voltage dept, there is this. *Droooooooooooooolllll*

@Epic, like everyone else, I'd suggest you go for the 98xx series from Alpine. Should hold you in good stead till you decide to go really insane on the rest of the equipment. Added to that, IMHO the 98xx series have better iPod integration/control than Pio (or any other make of HU).

Last edited by hydrashok : 20th August 2008 at 15:18.
Old 20th August 2008, 15:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nah, the 7998 had its time. That time is past. Today there are many more options available.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:11   #42
BHPian

Epic - why dont you just try out both HUs in your car and then decide? I am sure a good installer will be able to arrange this for you.
but personally, I have owned several alpines and loved all of them.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
... P80 comes with built-in TA where as I think for the alpine you have to purchase the IMPRINT kit which is around 11K. Another thing with Pioneer P80 RS is it is IPOD adaptor ready and you will have to purchase it separately which might cost you another 5K.
- We don't need IMPRINT for TA. IMPRINT basically sets a "sweet-spot" for each seat in the car. With good equipment and tuning, the need for TA is much less.

- Even the Alpines need a separate iPod cable. I don't think any of the Alpine HUs (except the iDA series) come with an iPod cable. The cable is about 2K with B&W, I think. A bit lesser in the grey.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
We don't need IMPRINT for TA. IMPRINT basically sets a "sweet-spot" for each seat in the car.
More like room correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
With good equipment and tuning, the need for TA is much less.
I could end up arguing forever with you on that.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I could end up arguing forever with you on that.
And I'd have been arguing on your side until just 5 days back

But I do subscribe to this philosophy now, in the case of a properly tuned front + sub setup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks