Old 15th December 2008, 20:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

i have auditioned a 8401 playing a sub and rainbow component up front

the sub was in a sealed box but the bass level still very good

heres a link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...d-finally.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
1st hand experience it can shake all the body panels of an Alto with just 1 sub in ported box!
lol in a ported box it was blowing my hair off

Last edited by manikjeet : 15th December 2008 at 20:48.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:42   #47
nitin.dangayach

Now thats what I wanted. First hand usage report. I am now 100% sure I am getting this one. Thanks Manikjeet.

Any suggestion on the wiring kits ? Of course in the budget thingy.

Old 16th December 2008, 09:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post

lol in a ported box it was blowing my hair off
Oh really! The last time I heard 8401, it had a mere "mid-oriented" sound.. forget bass or treble.

nitin, I'd seriously suggest you to audition BEFORE buying/finalizing and THEN decide. Also, on a serious note, DONT go to an installer that stocks BOTH 8401 and JBL 504, else you'll never have a true comparison.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:48   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Oh really! The last time I heard 8401, it had a mere "mid-oriented" sound.. forget bass or treble.

nitin, I'd seriously suggest you to audition BEFORE buying/finalizing and THEN decide. Also, on a serious note, DONT go to an installer that stocks BOTH 8401 and JBL 504, else you'll never have a true comparison.
Ha Ha.. Here comes panky, now you are bound to change your decision about the 8401 nitin. Guys, but how can the reviews about a same amp vary so much..! some say it rocks, some say it totally sucks! panky, i hope you were not auditioning a defective piece..!

OT: Even I'm thinking of buying an budget SQ amp to power my GT5 co-ax's in my alto since long, but just could not finalize.. I'll ve following this thread closely nitin.

Last edited by cyclops : 16th December 2008 at 10:51.
Old 16th December 2008, 11:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Ha Ha.. Here comes panky, now you are bound to change your decision about the 8401 nitin. Guys, but how can the reviews about a same amp vary so much..! some say it rocks, some say it totally sucks! panky, i hope you were not auditioning a defective piece..!.
brother, it all depends upon individual tastes.. good for me doesn't get necessarily mean good for you. my take on this amp is shared by many users on the forum, and having auditioned it myself I can vouch for the fact that its NOT worth.

I'm not commercially involved in selling any audio equipment/services, post my views as a CONSUMER who wants the best buck for the price..

Just audition both the amps yourself, without any "gyaan" and then decide.

Hope it helps!
Old 16th December 2008, 11:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
DONT go to an installer that stocks BOTH 8401 and JBL 504, else you'll never have a true comparison.
What? So an A/B comparison is also not recommended by you. You prefer listening to the amps in different setups, at different retailers to make your decision?
Old 16th December 2008, 14:08   #52
nitin.dangayach

Honestly, you guys make me go haywire. I am again thinking of getting a JBL for those NOT SO GOOD reviews about the 8401.

Actually, about the audition, I have not seen a single installer in Gurgaon where they can show the thing working live. Even the Reliance auto s$$$ big time. THose guys will pump the volume hard and then start looking at your face, excepting to see the excitement. Man thats not the quality. At least not for me.

I dont know now how to arrive at a decision. I dont want to wait for too long but seems like I have to.

I cant assume that budget and SQ dont go hand in hand. THere must be one, at least.

Old 16th December 2008, 15:05   #53

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
Honestly, you guys make me go haywire. I am again thinking of getting a JBL for those NOT SO GOOD reviews about the 8401.

Actually, about the audition, I have not seen a single installer in Gurgaon where they can show the thing working live. Even the Reliance auto s$$$ big time. THose guys will pump the volume hard and then start looking at your face, excepting to see the excitement. Man thats not the quality. At least not for me.

I dont know now how to arrive at a decision. I dont want to wait for too long but seems like I have to.

I cant assume that budget and SQ dont go hand in hand. THere must be one, at least.
What music do you listen to?
Name of musicians,bands etc will help!
Old 16th December 2008, 15:15   #54
nitin.dangayach

Well honestly, I hear all that floats the boat. It depends upon the mood. I listen to everything ranging from classical to R&B hip hop. Groove is what I want. The deep bass. But not at high levels. Its just an alto. I seldom pump up my speakers.

Old 16th December 2008, 15:30   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.dangayach View Post
Well honestly, I hear all that floats the boat. It depends upon the mood. I listen to everything ranging from classical to R&B hip hop. Groove is what I want. The deep bass. But not at high levels. Its just an alto. I seldom pump up my speakers.
Looking at the fact that you already have Polk speakers,i would recommend a kenwood amp.
You can get either amps,both are decent amps but yes,the 8401 is slightly more inclined towards SQ.
Old 16th December 2008, 15:34   #56
nitin.dangayach

But the views of Panky (another senior member) are kinda southwards. Thats something thats making me think otherwise.

Old 16th December 2008, 15:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

taste in music is like taste in food. different people have different preferences. You cant have something that pleases everyone. find someone who has your same taste/preference in music, and listen to their advice.
Old 16th December 2008, 16:05   #58
nitin.dangayach

Right now I am seeing 70:30 ratio (likes:dislikes). I guess I should take the risk. I m done with the AMP thing. I wont change now. For sub 5K, 8401 seems reasonable. I'll sell it in case I dont like it.

Old 16th December 2008, 16:05   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
taste in music is like taste in food. different people have different preferences. You cant have something that pleases everyone. find someone who has your same taste/preference in music, and listen to their advice.
Well put.
Thats one of the reasons why i asked Nitin his music preferences.

@panky:What kind of music do you listen to?
Old 16th December 2008, 16:22   #60
BHPian

Nitin just go and audition the amp's in your car.Do a A/B comparison you will understand the difference in sound and liking according to your taste.

Sound is to be heard and understood .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks