Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 13:14   #16
BHPian

One more thing.

With the present setup, the sound details seem somewhat lacking in the highs and the mids, more particularly the mids.
Old 12th January 2010, 13:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
The dealer told me it was 502.

My car accessory dealer recommended to try a chinese one.
You already have a chinese (desi) alpine.

Try JBL 1004 4 channel ~ 10K.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Those figures are power ratings which indicate beyond what power they will start thinking of committing suicide. Max power (some brands mention it, some don't) is the power beyond which you will have to say "Ram naam satya hai" for them!

These figures are no indication of the actual power flowing through them, or the loudness they are producing, when music is playing. That power level is much less than the rated figures, and the loudness is dependent on the sensitivity of the speakers. All speakers can be intolerably loud in a car even when pumping 15W rms.

Tuning means setting the relative levels of the fronts and rears so that you get a good sound image in the driver's (and front passenger's) seat - in front of you, somewhere near the windshield. In this state, the rears sound slightly less loud than the front components in the front seats. To achieve a decent loudness in the rear seat, one can shift the Fader slightly front or rear during the tuning process, without compromising the front image.
Old 12th January 2010, 15:19   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But the ratings for the components (GTO 507C) are 55W RMS and for the 6X9 (GTO 0937) are 100 W RMS.
Ah, dont worry about those watt ratings they are only guidelines not absolute.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
You already have a chinese (desi) alpine.

Try JBL 1004 4 channel ~ 10K.
In Delhi, most of the dealers are selling chinese ones.

If you are in the knowledge of any dealer selling originals, please do let me know.

One thought springs to my mind though.

That I should go to a sony shop and buy a 4 channel amp, but I am very scared of buying a sony product having already burnt my fingers with vx501 and the camera.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Delhi, most of the dealers are selling chinese ones..
+1 dear.

Original alpine would cost you near 30K as opposed to 2.8K desi alpine.

DONT buy Sony..its crap (ok.. subjective!)

As regards the dealers, I'll PM you. Try sourcing genuine JBL from Karol Bagh and you wont be disappointed.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
+1 dear.

As regards the dealers, I'll PM you. Try sourcing genuine JBL from Karol Bagh and you wont be disappointed.
I have the same view for sony. Its real crap. But the amp my dealer gave to me was a used one (about 4 months used). He now has a 4 channel sony 6402 something which he is asking me to get installed. He is asking for 3500 bucks for the same. But the deal also includes a pioneer 12" sub.
Old 13th January 2010, 12:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
+1 dear.

The Karol Bagh Market is a tricky thing.

The dealers there would show something and sell something else.

Its very difficult to get genuine products in Karol Bagh Market.

Old 14th January 2010, 12:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its very difficult to get genuine products in Karol Bagh Market.

Who told you that? Go to a reputed store, pay app 100-200 extra and get the genuine stuff!
Old 18th January 2010, 13:39   #25
BHPian

Hi all Gurus.

Yesterday, I meddled with the system and tried to set up the gain settings.

During the process, I found that:

1. The existing gain settings were set up pretty high, which was leading to a distortion in sound as the volume was pushed up.

2. The wire leading to the sub was not properly fastened which was also having adverse effect on the sound quality.

3. A slight manipulation of the amp has resulted in
- a very soft and mellow sound (high)
- a heavy but not heart pounding deep bass.

4. What seems lacking is the mids, which, I suppose could be corrected by installing the 6X9 in the parcel tray.

Please suggest.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good show, @deepfusion, just needs a little courage to get down to it yourself and get what you want.

The presence or lack of mids is an inherent speaker property - IF the HU is assumed to push it out right. But, 6x9s at the back won't correct the problem. If tuning the output to the sub (it should be at a level that low-bass is not distracting you from the mids, i.e. bass is sounding proportional), does not give you the desired effect, you need to nudge the mid in the HU equalizer to get it right.

If you try to correct the mids with the 6x9s at the back, the image will be pulled towards the rear.
Old 18th January 2010, 18:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hi DeepFusion,

You have two choices :

Choice 1 - Sell your existing 2 channel amplifier & purchase a good 4 channel amplifier. Power the front comps & the sub (in bridged mode) from this amplifier. Drive the 6X9s from the headunit.

Choice 2 - As mentioned by DerAlte. Retain you 2 channel amp to drive the sub in bridged mode. Purchase a 4 channel amp and drive the components & 6X9s.
However, if powering rears through an amp, it is best to have coaxials in the doors rather than 6X9s in a parcel tray which can end up being too bright & over power the front components. You can probably exchange your 6X9s for good coaxials.

Since Choice-2 requires purchase of an amp as well as coaxials, I would recommend Choice-1
Old 19th January 2010, 13:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi DeepFusion,

You have two choices :

Choice 1 - Sell your existing 2 channel amplifier & purchase a good 4 channel amplifier. Power the front comps & the sub (in bridged mode) from this amplifier. Drive the 6X9s from the headunit.

Choice 2 - As mentioned by DerAlte. Retain you 2 channel amp to drive the sub in bridged mode. Purchase a 4 channel amp and drive the components & 6X9s.
However, if powering rears through an amp, it is best to have coaxials in the doors rather than 6X9s in a parcel tray which can end up being too bright & over power the front components. You can probably exchange your 6X9s for good coaxials.

Since Choice-2 requires purchase of an amp as well as coaxials, I would recommend Choice-1

I too am thinking of a 4/6 channel amplifier in addition to the existing 2 channel amp.

But the 6X9 pair I have is JBL GTO 0937. The same is a three way coaxial, I suppose.
Old 20th January 2010, 07:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too am thinking of a 4/6 channel amplifier in addition to the existing 2 channel amp..
Dont buy a 6 chnnel.. rather stick to 4 chanel amp. Try & audition JBL 1004.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:30   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dont buy a 6 chnnel.. rather stick to 4 chanel amp. Try & audition JBL 1004.
6 channel amps are just as relaible as 4 channel amps. It is just that because fewer are made they tend to be a bit more expensive. My mom has a 6 ch. amp (JBL 755.6) in her car. It has served her well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks