Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 18:32   #76
BHPian

Re: Help for installing tweeters on Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
are you talking about the rubber sleeve that conencts the door and the A-pillar?

You don't need to use that.Wire your tweeter to the Head Unit front speaker out(if you're on normal speakers) or to the crossover out(in case you have component speakers).

Please post a pic of the rubber conenctor in case this does not clarify.
Sorry. My mistake.

The wiring would be from HU to Amp, then Amp to Crossover, which would have to be placed in the doors, and from crossover (in the door) to the dashboard.
Old 18th August 2011, 18:54   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Please advise me on passing wires through the rubber connector (the one that is placed between the door and the car's body.
Anywhere possible, run the wires along with the cars OE wires. That is usually taken through the body panels, which are easy to remove and replace.
Old 18th August 2011, 19:37   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The wiring would be from HU to Amp, then Amp to Crossover, which would have to be placed in the doors, and from crossover (in the door) to the dashboard.
Please don't place crossovers in doors ; everytime you close the doors the crossovers'll take a hit.

My recommendations
  1. amp under front co driver's seat and crossovers on the kick panels below dashboard(left XO on left kick panel just below extreme left end of glove box and right XO on right kick panel )
  2. amp and crossovers mounted on MDF board on rear seat
You can check the ICE section for installs to get an idea
Old 19th August 2011, 06:32   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry. My mistake.

I don't know the car you own, but usually if you keep your car door wide open, you should see a rubber thingy connected from the door to the car body open it, and try to route your wire through this. I will post a couple of pics of my car showing this. From their, remove the rubber beading which goes besides the a-pillar, then you should be able to remove the a-pillar panel route the wire through the panel and from there you can decide were to place your tweeter.

Hope this helps.

Venki
venki7744 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 08:09   #80
BHPian

Here are the pics

Note to Mods: My first post is still under review so could not edit it to attach these images. Please merge.

Thanks,
Venki
Attached Thumbnails
Help & Advise for my Fusion ICE-20110819-06.33.57.jpg  

Help & Advise for my Fusion ICE-20110819-06.34.25.jpg  

Help & Advise for my Fusion ICE-20110819-06.34.59.jpg  

Old 19th August 2011, 10:18   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki7744 View Post
I don't know the car you own, but usually if you keep your car door wide open, you should see a rubber thingy connected from the door to the car body open it, and try to route your wire through this. I will post a couple of pics of my car showing this. From their, remove the rubber beading which goes besides the a-pillar, then you should be able to remove the a-pillar panel route the wire through the panel and from there you can decide were to place your tweeter.

Hope this helps.

Venki
I have ford fusion.

My problem is this only.

I tried to take out the rubber connector that connects the door to the car's body, but that connector is firmly attached.
Old 19th August 2011, 11:07   #82
Senior - BHPian

No, you can't pass a wire. Your only bet is to try and find free pins in that connector. For that you will need to carefully peel back the hood from the connector and check.

If you want to mount the tweeters on the dash (don't do that if the tweeters are bright), mount the XOs in the footwell behind the dash. Usually there are a few free holes through which one can pass a plastic tie, which will hold the XO. Done this way, you only need to pass 1 pair of wires through that door connector, for the mid-bass.

Which components do you have?
Old 19th August 2011, 11:36   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, you can't pass a wire. Your only bet is to try and find free pins in that connector. For that you will need to carefully peel back the hood from the connector and check.

If you want to mount the tweeters on the dash (don't do that if the tweeters are bright), mount the XOs in the footwell behind the dash. Usually there are a few free holes through which one can pass a plastic tie, which will hold the XO. Done this way, you only need to pass 1 pair of wires through that door connector, for the mid-bass.

Which components do you have?
I am trying to install illusion im6.1
Old 19th August 2011, 11:49   #84
Senior - BHPian

Good one.

Try to remove the conical rubber part just after the knurled part you are holding in the pic. This will expose the part where wires are soldered. Any pins that are not soldered to any wire is available for you to use.

After installing the midbass, take out 2 wires through the rubber pipe, and connect one end to the mid-bass. Solder the other end to 2 free pins on the connector. You need to remember the pin locations (look carefully, they would be marked on the plastic part that hold the pins). On the body side, peel off the rubber hood off the connector, and solder 2 wires at the same locations as on the door connector. The other end of these wires will connect to the mid-bass output of the XO.
Old 19th August 2011, 12:32   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Good one.

Try to remove the conical rubber part just after the knurled part you are holding in the pic. This will expose the part where wires are soldered. Any pins that are not soldered to any wire is available for you to use.

After installing the midbass, take out 2 wires through the rubber pipe, and connect one end to the mid-bass. Solder the other end to 2 free pins on the connector. You need to remember the pin locations (look carefully, they would be marked on the plastic part that hold the pins). On the body side, peel off the rubber hood off the connector, and solder 2 wires at the same locations as on the door connector. The other end of these wires will connect to the mid-bass output of the XO.
DO I have to solder wires???

I was thinking that I would just have to route the speaker wire through it.

Its good I didn't push too hard at the connector.

Otherwise, phew, I would have to again fall at the feet of the Ford A.s.s.

Thanks a ton, Sir.

Can I try another option.

This:

Help & Advise for my Fusion ICE-dsc00046.jpg

Then I would have the stock wire available and would install the tweeters in the sail panel.

Would this work?

What would its effect on the sound be?
Old 19th August 2011, 13:43   #86
BHPian

Quote:
DO I have to solder wires???

I was thinking that I would just have to route the speaker wire through it.

Its good I didn't push too hard at the connector.

Otherwise, phew, I would have to again fall at the feet of the Ford A.s.s.

Thanks a ton, Sir.

Can I try another option.

This:

Attachment 595742

Then I would have the stock wire available and would install the tweeters in the sail panel.

Would this work?

What would its effect on the sound be?
Oops Appologies for not being clear the first time, I was in a hurry to start for office. Thanks to DerAlte for correcting me. If you already have stock wire running to the door you can very well use those to connect the woofer (just an alternative) and connect the other end to the low o/p of your crossover. And as DerAlte suggested keep your x-over under the dash above the footwell so that you can avoid routing the tweeter wire through the doors.

Venki.
Old 19th August 2011, 14:30   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki7744 View Post
Oops Appologies for not being clear the first time, I was in a hurry to start for office. Thanks to DerAlte for correcting me. If you already have stock wire running to the door you can very well use those to connect the woofer (just an alternative) and connect the other end to the low o/p of your crossover. And as DerAlte suggested keep your x-over under the dash above the footwell so that you can avoid routing the tweeter wire through the doors.

Venki.
But would it be proper/appropriate to use the crossover in parallel? (the pic of crossover is attached)

I am asking this since I do not have much knowledge in audio.
Old 19th August 2011, 15:58   #88
Senior - BHPian

LOL No, that way you might as well throw away the XO and connect the mid-bass and tweeters directly to the HU/amp through the OE wiring.

@venki, I was trying to leave the OE wires alone by routing another pair of wires to mid-bass. Sometimes it is better to leave the OE wires alone (they are never as good as purpose built speaker wires, and sometimes owners want to switch back to the OE setup when selling the car).

If you want to avoid soldering and all, it is better that you change the mounting position of the tweeters to inside the ORVM mounting (most cars use that location), use the OE speaker wire till the XO (mount it inside the door on the doorpad), and route new wires from XO to the tweeters and mid-bass. Mounting the tweeters on the dash anyway gives unpredictable results due to secondary reflection off the windshield.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 16:15   #89
BHPian

And my other question: What would be the effect on the sound if the crossover is wired in the fashion in the picture I posted?
Old 19th August 2011, 18:00   #90
BHPian

Quote:
And my other question: What would be the effect on the sound if the crossover is wired in the fashion in the picture I posted?
@Deepfusion, I think DerAlte already answered your question. By the way is this way its connected in your car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks