Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2005, 18:32   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
.... I understand that huge costs are involved with this reco, but I'm only suggesting ways in which more people get to know about quality brands, and buy them. ...Have you [JBL India] considered Billboard advertising or print advertising [newspapers along with mags]?? It has a wider reach, people invariably see them on roads or on paper everyday, and that could be a start towards bringing in that needed visibility... ...... The need here is to get the people to know about the brand and listen to the equipment......

Navinji, no offense intended here... Just wanted quoted your preference, I hope you don't misunderstand..

Now, who's inchage or Alpine in India????
Advertising is a black hole. the ammount of money involved in billboard-mag-newspaper ads is huge. That said Harman Intl. is big too but i dont think the market at this stage justifies it. I think the idea of tying up with Hyundai etc.. makes for better sales.

what am i supposed to be offended about. i dont remember.

who ever is in charge of alpine india is either fond of Sam or scared of him. I was after them to sell me 2 KCA 420i and 1 KCA 410C for my ipods and they gave me one excuse after another. then yesterday i got frustrated and taking sam's permission told them i know Sam. and guess what today i got them.
Old 16th September 2005, 18:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Sam Kapasi]LOL

Quote:
If you're serious about doing biz, i'll ask someone to contact you.
I did not understand this one....having already purchased close to Rs 40k worh of JBL in my car ...
Old 16th September 2005, 18:38   #48
Team-BHP Support

40K of JBL! damn you deserve more than free stickers! :-) sorry sam but i could not resist that one.
Old 16th September 2005, 18:38   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
who ever is in charge of alpine india is either fond of Sam or scared of him. I was after them to sell me 2 KCA 420i and 1 KCA 410C for my ipods and they gave me one excuse after another. then yesterday i got frustrated and taking sam's permission told them i know Sam. and guess what today i got them.
Me?? *innocent look* well, I'm glad you got what you wanted Old Man. lol enjoy.
Old 16th September 2005, 18:42   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Arrey nahi man, that was for... ummm...

Sh*t I've got Navinitis! I have no idea why I said that.

Buffet got special treatment lol, his JBL distributor got bambood, and half the south India office was running around to make sure buffetfan got what he wanted lol.
Old 16th September 2005, 18:44   #51
Team-BHP Support

yeah now i am look at locations.

Octy: front cig lighter compartment if it can be modified (12-15mm more depth)
Sail: front right map pocket or that niche in front of the gear shift.
Old 16th September 2005, 18:56   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
Sam, I must appreciate the consistency of advertising that JBL does in India, via Auto Mags... I'm not sure if you know this, but even Sridhar really respects and appreciates the fact that JBL always advertises its brand, regularly, without missing a month, it really matters....

But what I'm trying to say is that not everyone buy such mags, that they can get to know about JBL. I buy a couple, navin has once said that he does not. So, you also need to consider alternate ways of advertising.... I understand that huge costs are involved with this reco, but I'm only suggesting ways in which more people get to know about quality brands, and buy them. If you takes a good look at this forum, you'd realise not many want to look beyond Sony and Pioneer for a HU.... Rarely a few opt for Kenwood or JVC... Why? Coz it solves the purpose spending just 6-9k instead of looking to spend upwards of 10k for an Alpine, Clarion or others... Another reason being, I haven't seen Alpine or Clarion spend as much for advertising... It does come out on Auto mags too, but consistently, I doubt....

Have you [JBL India] considered Billboard advertising or print advertising [newspapers along with mags]?? It has a wider reach, people invariably see them on roads or on paper everyday, and that could be a start towards bringing in that needed visibility... These auto mags say that a lotta cars are being sold every month, and when these people who view ads on billboards/newspapers could recollect the brand name when they go scouting for car audio equipment, they MIGHT try the brand, and I guess once they've heard it, they might go for it... The need here is to get the people to know about the brand and listen to the equipment... Like Gunbir said, people who come looking for a 3000 buck sub, can also end up buying a 13000 bucks sub..... My only question is, why won't it work for JBL or any other leading [quality] brands for that matter???

I know of late, a few have starter making recommendations and giving suggestions, its so easy to do so, but we're doing it so everyone understands these quality products and get access to them...

Navinji, no offense intended here... Just wanted quoted your preference, I hope you don't misunderstand..

Lastly, Sam... I like 2 things that Gunbir said... 1) <Crap sells> Well, this is so true and we all know that... 2) <That they are commited to quality car audio>.... I know for sure that you are tooo.... I've never missed seeing the JBL ad at the back of that ACI mag, every issue...

Now, who's inchage or Alpine in India????
Ajay, we're not Samsung and we never can be. Hell we cant even be Sony. At the end of the day, we know we sell performance parts and not everyone is interested in performance. As Navin said, advertising is a big black hole.

If you knew what money we pay to Autocar/ BBC top gear you would faint. lol
We have tried billboards in Bangalore (Hello, Bangalore boys, I'd like to know if you've seen them, or has the paisa gone down the drain) and I'm analysing the response.
That said, we have a large and huge team in India and we're doing our damndest to get JBL everywhere in India.
I'd like to say that Team JBL is doing a good job.
Dont forget that we're only selling JBL Car Audio in India, officially for a little over 2 years. And I agree, we're not even the 2nd or 3rd option. I agree we're only the option for those that know their music and their speakers. Also to the layman, we're not an option as we dont make MP3 players/CD PLayers. I swear if I hear the words "matching speakers" one more time I'll scream.

I've often said that one needs to find a balance between quality and commerce. I believe my team is on it's way there. With quality feedback from you guys and with our combined hardwork, we'll get there.(I hope...)
Honestly, you guys know me a few months, and you know how much I travel. And I'm just the brand director. (I used to be the business head of home audio, believe it or not) All I do is carry the flag boys, but there's exactly 55 people making sure that people in India know what it is that we sell. And I go around, training people, training salespeople, organising exhibitions.

We're a cult brand, JBL. The worlds most easily recognised speaker brand. The worlds oldest, biggest and baddest speaker company.
And yet people in India come to our stores and ask for UBL. (The exclamation mark over the J, sigh...)

It's tough boys, but as Navin put it, not long ago, it's a passion. It's what I love.

This is fun! You guys are the reason I'm in this business, honestly.

Thats why I use the force to do good. Because I'm a JBL jedi!

Chal buss, enough steam, enough cheese. God Bless Africa.
Old 16th September 2005, 18:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi

Buffet got special treatment lol, his JBL distributor got bambood, and half the south India office was running around to make sure buffetfan got what he wanted lol.
Sam...Stickers will help anyway ...
Old 16th September 2005, 18:59   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Chall buffet, pm me your mailing address.
Old 16th September 2005, 19:15   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just pulling your leg
Old 16th September 2005, 19:48   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
We have tried billboards in Bangalore (Hello, Bangalore boys, I'd like to know if you've seen them, or has the paisa gone down the drain) and I'm analysing the response.
That said, we have a large and huge team in India and we're doing our damndest to get JBL everywhere in India.

And yet people in India come to our stores and ask for UBL. (The exclamation mark over the J, sigh...)
what??? u got billboards around bangalore sam...where??? well u cant get a bigger freak than me in bangalore,im never at home but always on the streets with friends..yet i havent come across one single JBL billboards..the only place i have seen or heard about JBL is either in the mags like ACI or BSM or at Advaith Hyundai..thats it..can u tell me the locations of these billboards,will check on them 2moro and tell u whether its paisa vassol or down the drain !!!!

well JBL as u said is not even 3rd or 4th option for most bangaloreans either..but it surely is picking up..a lot of shops are promoting JBLs slowly including a few in JC.Road..will take sometime but im sure ul soon end up where u intended to if ur teams puts as many hard hours as u do for the sake of the company..
well atleast im trying to recommend JBls to all my friends who are in need of any audio stuff and hope the word spreads around..thats another way one can help,spread the word around and trust me it works..
Old 16th September 2005, 21:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice... the KCA 420i is an excellent and much needed addition to any ipod owner having an alpine HU comp. with an Ipod.... how much did it cost, btw??

and enjoy....

Last edited by k_ajay : 16th September 2005 at 21:16.
Old 16th September 2005, 21:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The worlds oldest, biggest and baddest speaker company.
LMAO..... That, honestly, is one of the more funny things I've heard in a long time....

Whatever said and done, I love my speakers and the sound comin outta it..... and I make sure I recommend the same brands I use to anyone who talks to me about car audio....
Old 16th September 2005, 22:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Advertising is a black hole. the ammount of money involved in billboard-mag-newspaper ads is huge. That said Harman Intl. is big too but i dont think the market at this stage justifies it. I think the idea of tying up with Hyundai etc.. makes for better sales.

what am i supposed to be offended about. i dont remember.

Alpine India.. emm...

5 years ago, I booked the Santro ( 3rd booking in Kerala). Even b4 I got my car, I got my HU and speakers by courier frm Chennai. It was an Alpine unit, HU and speakers.

The guy in charge of Alpine India or South India even gave me the 'S' Series Speakers as a compliment ( S was superior tah what i had ordered, and were costlier; sorry if i am wrong, 2 much Johny in my bloody now ). Well? maybe I was teh only guy in trivandrum to have brought such a good set ( The HU i brought was the best they had in market). I was even given ONE yr warranty( insurance even for my HU and speakers, cost me 19K 5 yrs)

And now I brought another Santro, and have a Sony HU and JBL (yet 2 JBLfy the rear and sub though) . Why?

I kwn JBL through Advts, and through home theaters I ahev seen frm returnees frm Gulf

Why I didnt go tfor Alpine today? emm, bad Advts, I think.

Bangalore, Hyd, Mumbai... IT hot spots... young kids with money
Cochin/Trivandrum...growing IT hot spots...BUT less advts abt JBL... and more grey market Pios and stuff.

AND, Gunbir, came up with Hertz offer, I was interested.. really, BUT , do my friends kwn abt Hertz? NO, they dont . Then why should I buy it.

emmm, 2 much bla bla frm me 4 now. 4 me its JBL , coz my frnds kwn what it is and I CAN AFFORD IT

Last edited by jkdas : 16th September 2005 at 23:01.
Old 16th September 2005, 23:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
AND, Gunbir, came up with Hertz offer, I was interested.. really, BUT , do my friends kwn abt Hertz? NO, they dont . Then why should I buy it.

emmm, 2 much bla bla frm me 4 now. 4 me its JBL , coz my frnds kwn what it is and I CAN AFFORD IT
JK, i'm sorry I said this, but its very sad to note that you buy something cause your friends know about it, and you won't buy stuff if they don't know something and that you have no choice or preference of your own.....

Seriously, what makes you buy stuff, that other people are familiar with??? Does it make a big difference and is it that necessary to create an 'impact' on others???

Honestly, its so absurd !!!! sorry..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks