Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2005, 22:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

And the Drive+Play would look a nice addition to these cars.... Wonder how it would look on my Indica... lol... But i wish i can buy it someone in the near future.... 16k Sam, thoda pricey hai, for our market... What do you think? [but absolutely cool gadget]
Old 18th September 2005, 23:16   #92
Team-BHP Support

to be honest sam i like a neat install. what might be this products shortcoming is that as an install it is not neat. that display is it's shortcomig. i think ver 2 or 3 might work better.

one mod that can be done even at this stage is to make the display wireless. how cool would that be. the display communicates with the black box wirelessly and is so compact it can be velcroed anywhere.

evnetually this technology would be best used it sold as OEM to car manufacturers so that it can be inerated into a dash. ufortunatley MP3 players (ipod, sony, etc.. dont have any standards and no car manufcturer will support ipod over others).

it is going to be a tough sell and not becuase of the price.
Old 19th September 2005, 01:09   #93
Senior - BHPian

Agreed, price is not the major issue here. I think its decent value for what you get. You no longer need to fiddle with the Ipod as the controller can be mounted somewhere handy. It includes an FM transmitter though I dont think its required at this price point but still usefull for applications where interfacing is not possible.

Of course, I'm assuming it doesnt have the "half baked functionality" issues ipod adapters generally have. For example, the Clarion interface doesnt let you go directly to an artist or a song. You can only go through one of five playlists you have to create beforehand with playlist names being clarion1, clarion2 and so on. So you have to go through each track to reach the one you want... Moreover, the buttons on the actual Ipod get disabled while its connected to the interface.

The Pioneer interface also has latency issues. It is too slow and has limited functionality. Sometimes, even the track names are not displayed properly. So far the Alpine interface, though not perfect, seems to be the best implemented of all.

Like Navinji, I dont like the "E.T." display. They could have done better with a DIN sized display with controls and maybe a remote. That is whats actually needed. Im surprised no mfr has thought of this yet...

Some other new stuff...

Scosche IPBCK Bluetooth Ipod Interface.
Instead of FM, it uses bluetooth 1.1 which has more bandwidth so should be able to deliver better sound and the reciever outputs through RCA so you can plug it into your HU's Aux in. You can also add the optional steering wheel remote. No DIN display unit though...

Another one is the

Monster iCruze from Monster Cable

Again an interface, but more universal in nature. You have to order the specific cable for your HU though. Monster does however, have an optional DIN sized for the iCruze. You control the Ipod through your HU and with the optional display, you can see the track info in your dash.

Unfortunately, none of them is perfect...

Last edited by gunbir : 19th September 2005 at 01:14.
Old 19th September 2005, 10:20   #94
Team-BHP Support

all 3 products have their issues.

we have listed the Harman's issues already.

The 1st Scosche product is wireless and we all know that wireless is not as effcient and nosier than wired (and this is also applicable for data although less so). The second ScoSche forces you to look at the ipod screen to see what you are doing.

The Monster product is really made for Alpine M bus HUs and with the interface module can work with some factory OEM HUs that have changer controls. but the display is nice esp since it does not need to be mounted on the base shown.
Old 19th September 2005, 10:23   #95
Team-BHP Support

also since the interfaces are car specific for those who change cars often and dont have Mbos Alpines the monster unit is a head ache. besides my fear is that for non US markets the interface adapters might not work,
Old 29th September 2005, 13:39   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Harman Drive + Play!!

IT"S HERE!!!!!! YAY!!!! YAY!!!

OK children,

I just got my first piece!! Super excited! Number one piece in India is always Sams...lol (I Wonder why)

Just unpacked the DHL box, took a few pictures and am sharing them. WIll be able to sell this in India by december. I'm going to install this unit in the optra for the Vaahan Yatra in Bangalore! Here are the first physical photos. Comments please!

My first views: It reeks of quality. Great finish. The display is not as big as it looked in the initial photos.... did harman change it? (Maybe they saw Navin's ET remark lol) Chalo Chalo comments, comments.

Old 29th September 2005, 14:04   #97
BHPian

I'm jealous! You are a lucky chap, Sam!
Old 29th September 2005, 14:29   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

oh well... I a lucky to be doing this in life, I won't be stupid and say nah....

I will let you know how it sounds. Nahi toh, come to vaahan yatra and see it, hear it yourself!
Old 30th September 2005, 14:35   #99
Team-BHP Support

sam, i think it is only a controller. i dont think the audio signal goes though it does it. so it should not have a sonic signature.
Old 30th September 2005, 15:31   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

It also has an FM mod. So that should change the sound a bit na?
Kaisa laga navin?
Old 30th September 2005, 19:31   #101
Team-BHP Support

it has 5 FM mods. sam. i think i mentioned this before. technically you could have 6 ipods running in the car and be able to choose as it can set 5 FM channels (the 6th ipod will be wired). now you are giving me naughty ideas. :-)

not that i am in the market for this (given my recent KCA 420i and 410C additions) but i would really like to do is see if this fits on a car dash without looking like Elliot's alien friend.
Old 2nd October 2005, 00:04   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
it has 5 FM mods. sam. i think i mentioned this before. technically you could have 6 ipods running in the car and be able to choose as it can set 5 FM channels (the 6th ipod will be wired). now you are giving me naughty ideas. :-)

not that i am in the market for this (given my recent KCA 420i and 410C additions) but i would really like to do is see if this fits on a car dash without looking like Elliot's alien friend.

me got a doubt . this thing is for ipods only? or u kwn shuffle etc 2 can work with it? and teh new nano stuff from apple works with this 2?

Last edited by jkdas : 2nd October 2005 at 00:07.
Old 2nd October 2005, 14:44   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
me got a doubt . this thing is for ipods only? or u kwn shuffle etc 2 can work with it? and teh new nano stuff from apple works with this 2?
All i-pods that have the similar dataports, basically all the i-pods except the shuffle, will work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks