Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:57   #61
BHPian

I hope Sam can answer questions on the MS-8 on this thread. It's quite intriguing. Is it some sort of sound analyser, which then tailors the output to best suit your car? How does it work and what does it consist of?
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:28   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I hope Sam can answer questions on the MS-8 on this thread. It's quite intriguing. Is it some sort of sound analyser, which then tailors the output to best suit your car? How does it work and what does it consist of?
Well what JBL/Harman did was imbed one of Andy Wehmeyer's ear-brain (cochlear) neurons in each MS-8 that is why it is so damn expensive!

more seriously....

Many companies have been experimenting with how the ear percieves sound in a car. The research (initally focusing on homes and theaters) first started about 40-45 years ago but becaume more mainstream post 1980 (the Yamaha DSP 1 - the first commercaily available audio DSP was produced about '85-'86). Currently the car audio market has such products from from AudioControl, Alpine, Rockford-Fosgate, Audison, etc...and JBL. Each of these products attempts to improve the localization of entire frequecny spectrum to the front of the car just like one would percive in a concert hall.

Fast forward to the MS-8. The MS-8 was a project spearheaded by Andy Wehmeyer of JBL/Harman as one of the better more complete audio DSPs. The MS-8 offers 8 channels of sound hence the nomenclature to accomplish such surround sound algorithms as "Logic-7" (7.1) in the car. Logic 7 was developed by a Harman compny called Lexicon and is an audio upgrade sold by compnies such as BMW (only the 760 has it as standard fitment).

now I'll let the true Audio Gurus fill in the details...Sam, B&T, LBM, Blueraven where are you guys?

Last edited by navin : 2nd December 2010 at 13:29.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:32   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The 16GB flash drive market is exactly what the 333 seems to be aimed at. I am happy to see that these guys will atleast get Subwoofer level control even if there is no TA.

Stick a 333 + a 644 amp + 4 GT-5 coax speakers and for under 20K you got decent sound. I would have loved to see such a package for 15K (the number of friends who call me up with a 15K budget is surprising) but Sam has to eat too as it is he saves cloth by wearing shorts so that he can keep costs low.
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the details on the new JBL GTX 333. I'm expected to get my I10 by the second week of December and it would arrive just in time for the JBL 333. Now, two questions...

1. I'm working on a tight budget of about Rs 13,000. I plan to have the GTX 333 + 4 GT5-S265 speakers to be fitted on the doors of the I10. Can the 4 GT5-S265 speakers be connected to the GTX 333 without the need for any other piece of equipment (amp, etc.)?

2. It has been suggested that the GTX 333 may accept 16GB SD cards. Can you please confirm this?

You reply would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Melvyn
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:06   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post

1. I'm working on a tight budget of about Rs 13,000. I plan to have the GTX 333 + 4 GT5-S265 speakers to be fitted on the doors of the I10. Can the 4 GT5-S265 speakers be connected to the GTX 333 without the need for any other piece of equipment (amp, etc.)?

2. It has been suggested that the GTX 333 may accept 16GB SD cards. Can you please confirm this?
The 333 is expected to sell for about 5K, 4 GT5 speakers should run you about 7K so you will have 1K spare. Use that to damp the front doors. Every little bit of damping helps.
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:23   #65
BHPian

Quote:
The 333 is expected to sell for about 5K, 4 GT5 speakers should run you about 7K so you will have 1K spare. Use that to damp the front doors. Every little bit of damping helps.
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with car acoustics. Now...

1. What exactly is 'damping'?
2. How is it installed in the doors and should it be for all 4 doors?
3. What are the benefits of damping?
4. Do all car accessory shops have this 'damping' material?

Advice on this would be appreciated. As mentioned earlier, can someone (preferably our JBl guru Sam) confirm the maximum capacity of pen drive that the 333 will accept?

Thanks.
Melvyn
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:25   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is the MS-8 even available in India for rupee payment?
Yes it's available and I heard it in an Hyundai i10.
Old 3rd December 2010, 07:18   #67
BHPian

@Melvyn:
1.Damping is the reduction of external noise.
2,3.A damping material is a heavy sheet that is fitted on the doors to avoid the rattling of loosely fitted plastic materials while listening to music.It also helps a lot to cut out external noise.For 1K you can only damp the front doors.But i think it helps a lot.
4.Almost all car accessories shops who install ICE have damping materials.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:23   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
@Melvyn:
1.Damping is the reduction of external noise.
2,3.A damping material is a heavy sheet that is fitted on the doors to avoid the rattling of loosely fitted plastic materials while listening to music.It also helps a lot to cut out external noise.For 1K you can only damp the front doors.But i think it helps a lot.
4.Almost all car accessories shops who install ICE have damping materials.
OK, got it. Will see if I can stretch my budget to have all 4 doors installed with the damping material.

Thanks,
Melvyn
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
However, do people who buy HUs in the <5k Rs. price-range really care about pre-outs? Let alone 3 pre-outs! Or is this JBLs way of encouraging the possibility of tying this system up to a JBL amp and JBL subwoofer?
Yes they do, I do. A question I'd asked on another thread was what all should I look for in a HU if I wish to spend minimal but would definitely add a sub and an amp later - 3 preouts and subwoofer level control is what Navin replied.
I've already postponed my plans of going to Driven (Delhi) unless JBL HUs are out in the market.
x333 does have 3 pre-outs but not certain if anyone spoke of it having subwoofer level control, does it?
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:33   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
5. 2 full range 4V pre-outs front/rear fade. 1 4V pre-out for subwoofer with level and control.
@fine69:The feeling is mutual buddy.I am also waiting for the HU to be released.Anyway the HU has Subwoofer control as mentioned by Samji.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:39   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
@Melvyn:
1.Damping is the reduction of external noise..
..and also reduces resonances of the sheet metal of your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
x333 does have 3 pre-outs but not certain if anyone spoke of it having subwoofer level control, does it?
The x333 and x555 (from what Sam has said) have subwoofer level control but no Time Alignment (TA is a feature found is high end HUs like the Kenwood X993 or Alpine 9887) which delays the front speakers sound so that it arrives at the same time to the ear as the subwoofer's output (since the subwoofer is about 3.3 meters away from the ear and the speed of sound in air is about 330m/s you have to delay the sound by about 3.3/330 seconds).
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:46   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sam, where are these being manufactured ?
Again, Sam, where are these made ?
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:34   #73
BHPian

@navinji:Is this TA really important??Cause I have heard many subwoofer's connected to basic HU's and they seemed ok to me.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:46   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21
@navinji:Is this TA really important??Cause I have heard many subwoofer's connected to basic HU's and they seemed ok to me.
Listen for a while with TA.
Later, Turn off the TA and listen.
Then, you'll come to know the difference.
Old 4th December 2010, 17:02   #75
BHPian

@nitrous:Guess i dont know anyone having a HU with TA and a subwoofer connected.
O.T:Anyway I have a serious doubt.
I am having a sony GTX6042 amp running the hertz front components and the hertz rear 6X9's.The HU is Ford OEM 2 DIN player.I want am planning on a 300W or 250W SUB.Here are my options please help me in choosing the best one:
1.Buy a second hand MONO amp(rs 3500 JBL 300.1) and connect it to the existing HU and power the sub with it.
2.Change the HU to the upcoming JBL X333 and connect the sub to the 2 channels of the existing amp.If I do so will I be able to control the Sub with the HU.
3.The sony AMP is rated 60 X 4W RMS and 110W peak at 4 ohms.Is the anyway that I can extract all the 220W from the rear 2 channels of the amp.If I do so will I be putting too much load on the AMP.
Or the final option is to buy the second hand mono amp for now and wait for a month or two to buy the JBL HU and the SUB

Most Viewed