Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 14:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pilot suspended for raising safety concerns against AirAsia

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
To avoid hassles and disputes, change the employer - airlines.
We all know - Air Asia is a cheap airline.
I am not sure whose side to take here but if, what he says about safety at AirAsia has an iota of truth, how does his jumping the ship (or airplane) solve the problem at AirAsia ? Should we wait for a disaster to happen and then some insiders come up saying 'I told you so' ? I hope DGCA will take a good look into this matter, whatever the underlying intentions of the Pilot/vlogger are. I cant comment on whether disputes should be solved internally or by making things public in such cases, but I've seen Supreme Court Judges arranging press conferences to voice their concerns, so I think its perfectly normal to do so.
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 15:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
The issue of Flaps-3 vs Flaps-Full is very interesting. It is also shocking that pilots are measured against a target- although
Absolutely correct. These techniques may be recommended by the airlines but not mandated and best left to the pilot flying. Any such recommendations while airborne should not be a mandate for that matter, and especially those related to landing since it is the toughest part of flying. Instead, airlines can mandate on-the-ground techniques like a single engine taxi post landing if they really want to save fuel.
Old 19th June 2020, 15:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note -they say that two of the most useless things in aviation are
i) the amount of runway left behind
ii) the amount of fuel in the tanks after landing.

This is also a policy issue where the central and state governments have to consider the ATF price/tax equation seriously. If aviation is considered to be a core business/service to the economy, rather than being (still) viewed with the glint of envy and perceived luxury, then perhaps something might materialise.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 16:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I follow his vlogs and always had this apprehension that someone from the airline's management might not be happy him doing vlogging while doing his pilot duties (Earnings from vlogging can be as much as an pilot's salary). The previous airline was not having an issue but I believe Air Asia management might have some issue due to his vlogging and that's why they started picking up things with Gaurav..
I doubt his vlogging was an issue as another pilot who has a youtube channel by the name Boeing Boy has been vlogging and making similar contents and even made a video sharing salary earned by him with his previous employer Jet Airways. He never mentioned on the airlines taking objection to it and if I am not wrong he works for Air Asia as well.
SnS_12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 16:43   #20
BHPian

Here are my views on this. I have watched plenty of Flying Beast videos, and i feel that he is definitely open about a lot of things going on in his own life in the vlogs. This does generate some trust in the people and translates to loyal subscribers(I am one of them).

Now we cannot comment on his actual personality or intent with regards to this case based on a consolidated 10 minute video of his life every day, but I’m sure a lot of people do think that he is a genuine person and is fighting this issue for everyone’s benefit, and I personally do feel this is true.

There is no reason as to why he would publicly expose this airline, very well knowing the consequences, for any reason other than a good cause. He has no need for any more fame, has plenty from YouTube and otherwise, and the possibility of threatening the airline and settling with them for some monetary gains cannot be ruled out, however it is unlikely considering how the events have unfolded.

I believe that he is not misusing his YouTube power, but rather leveraging it to actually put this out there for everyone, which a regular pilot or employee of this airline would dare not, as their voices will be muted immediately.

We shall wait and see where this goes, and if there are any more pilots or employees who are waiting to back him up, now’s the time.

From his latest video it is pretty clear that things aren’t going as planned so far, and the higher management have already started pulling some strings.

As for people that are saying that he is a fake person on the basis of him posting a video with regards to having a financial crisis, and then having his iPhone 11 broken by his kid and then immediately getting an iPhone 11 Pro, I just have one thing to say. YouTube. Clickbait. Content. It is done by most creators, and let’s not mix this up with the actual issue at hand.

I am in no way associated with flying beast and do not have a bias towards him, but I just put forward MY views as a long term subscriber of his.
Pegasus1134 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 17:02   #21
BHPian

I'm not favouring Air Asia but I think the pilot is at fault here.
If we work for any organisation, we are not allowed to take up another job or we have to take permission. Vlogging is a hobby but can also be termed as a job.
More importantly, transportation safety boards have strict guidelines for airlines on how to roaster pilots so that fatigue parameter is eliminated completely.
Now, this pilot himself is jeopardising the safety of his passengers by indulging activities like professional vlogging.(I believe it takes hours if not days to make one video)
Secondly, if a plane can be landed in a way that it saves fuel then the airline has every right to question the pilot if done otherwise. Still they are giving a leeway of 2%. I'm pretty sure adverse landing conditions don't count which are well documented.
Tucker48 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 17:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
Also, the regulators play into the hands of airlines. A simple example is random alcohol tests on pilots. I still cannot understand what stops the regulator to enforce alcohol test on 100% of pilots reporting for duty.
India had 100% per-flight breath alcohol analysis as a requirement until the COVID pandemic. The acceptable level is zero (0.000).

Even a missed or “forgotten” test is considered as positive, so it is taken pretty seriously by pilots, airlines, and the regulator, though the consequence is in three strikes - a suspension initially and then cancellation of license. All “BA” checks are video recorded by multiple cameras, time-stamped by the recording equipment, and indexed in paper records.

This has been temporarily changed to random with a minimum number required per day until further notice. There is no change in the acceptable level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The pilot is almost always as concerned about his life as he/she is of yours.
Please share facts.
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Absolutely correct. These techniques may be recommended by the airlines but not mandated and best left to the pilot flying. Any such recommendations while airborne should not be a mandate for that matter, and especially those related to landing since it is the toughest part of flying. Instead, airlines can mandate on-the-ground techniques like a single engine taxi post landing if they really want to save fuel.
PIC may take steps contrary to airline requirements or legal regulation provided it is in the interest of the safety of the flight. This is an extreme circumstance though.

Airlines cannot prescribe any procedure that compromises safety. Even procedures such as single engine taxi before take off or after landing are recommendations, not requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
Secondly, if a plane can be landed in a way that it saves fuel then the airline has every right to question the pilot if done otherwise. Still they are giving a leeway of 2%. I'm pretty sure adverse landing conditions don't count which are well documented.
Safety is non-negotiable in aviation. The landing of an aircraft is a dynamic process, and the factors affecting the decision to select 3 or Full (Airbus terminology) for landing is entirely up to the PIC keeping safety as the primary objective. This authority is given to the PIC by the regulator.

Landing itself may be precluded by weather that comes up at almost the very last instant. Given sufficient safety margins, the PIC may choose Flaps 3. Note that Flaps 3 landing is prohibited on certain runways in India, so it does make a significant difference.

Last edited by VeluM : 19th June 2020 at 17:34.
VeluM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 18:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I am not sure whose side to take here but if, what he says about safety at AirAsia has an iota of truth, how does his jumping the ship (or airplane) solve the problem at AirAsia ? Should we wait for a disaster to happen and then some insiders come up saying 'I told you so' ? I hope DGCA will take a good look into this matter, whatever the underlying intentions of the Pilot/vlogger are. I cant comment on whether disputes should be solved internally or by making things public in such cases, but I've seen Supreme Court Judges arranging press conferences to voice their concerns, so I think its perfectly normal to do so.
A glitch in safety whilst landing will cost lives. It includes Pilot(s) as well.
No Pilot will take safety for a toss.
If he had raised this concern with management then other Pilots would have joined hands and stood against Airlines.

But if the difference in bonus awarded is not much with full flap landings then other pilots may have kept the silence (like they have done until now)

Just want to bring this point that raise a concern when one has data to prove the flaw. Currently, the data exists with Air Asia. It can be modified or deleted before DGCA probes.
Still being an Airline Pilot means retaliation and humiliation for this act.

In my humble opinion, It would have been better
1. if he changed the employer
2. Receive his final pay from airlines
3. Register a complaint with DGCA on Landing Issues.
4. Use his channel to seek attention of people (like us)
5. Keep shooting Vlogs. His content is enjoyable.
procrastinator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 18:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Interesting points being raised by members on the following:
i) efforts required in vlogging that may affect a person physically and mentally, who is otherwise tasked to be 100 % on the fitness curve every day of office.
ii) mandating versus highly recommending fuel-saving procedures. I would be surprised to see any such mandates put on paper that may impinge on flight safety.

As usual, the truth lies in the middle, as most people who work in such disputes would infer.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 18:27   #25
Team-BHP Support

A classmate of mine who is a pilot in India currently, mentioned this person was removed by two other airlines earlier, he has some serious disciplinary issues which he is trying to cover up with all this. I don't have any proof but, these days people use social media and media for lot of personal agenda push.
Jaggu is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 18:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Interesting points being raised by members on the following:
i) efforts required in vlogging that may affect a person physically and mentally, who is otherwise tasked to be 100 % on the fitness curve every day of office.
It takes him 2.5 hours to edit and upload. He has mentioned in one of the daily Vlogs that he starts around 9:00 PM and uploads it at ~11:30 PM

Let us add time to shoot the videos as well.

Last edited by procrastinator : 19th June 2020 at 19:12. Reason: Removed parentheses
Old 19th June 2020, 19:42   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

I viewed his videos first time a few weeks ago when a member posted it on the Pakistan Airlines crash thread and then after this thread opened up. From an aviation point of view the content and its presentation is very weak and I dare say tacky. As one of the few members on Team BHP who has employed pilots in numbers I certainly would be very concerned if one of my pilots spent such an inordinate amount of time on vlogging and that too vlogging that seems aimed at building his image rather than serious and meaningful aviation discussion/education. Like human beings pilots come in personalities of all sizes and shapes. Nevertheless as an employer, beyond flying & navigating skills & knowledge, you still look for certain temperament, attitude, sense of balance, ability to stay calm, team spirit etc With his vlogging side career and worse the tone he depicts in it, it is unlikely I would have hired him.

I am not commenting on the points he has raised. Without the backing of facts they are difficult to assess. Let DGCA check them out. It is unlikely he is going to get a job again with a major carrier.

Not sure why our media highlights that whistleblower "suspended". How can you keep a deeply disgruntled employee flying? I believe he has been taken off the flying roster. There is nothing like suspended in private sector. It is a Govt term.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 19th June 2020 at 19:46.
V.Narayan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 21:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

So what could be possible scenarios in this situation? Can this all even affect his flying license or even his flying career? Can he be permanently terminated by the current airline? Can some other airline offer job in current scene where the concerned person has controversial issues with the airline?

Last edited by bluevolt : 19th June 2020 at 21:15.
Old 19th June 2020, 21:31   #29
BHPian

Gaurav is addressing his grievances in an immature way. SM is not professional. As far as the use of Config 3 or Config Full goes, I would suggest an Airbus type rating for clarity for everyone commenting on whats safe and what is not. There are many ways of doing the same thing, and doing it safely. Also, by going public with this, before an investigation, he is pretty much writing off his chances of an aviation career in this country. And that is being impulsive and unfortunate.
flyboy747 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 21:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I do not fly Air Asia in India or abroad ever or permit my family to do so. The professional style & practices I've seen worry me enough to take this call. The management in Malaysia has an overly aggressive attitude, in my personal opinion, towards its employees, customers & maintenance.
I don't really care about this vlogger and his beef with Air Asia but this type of comment from an industry veteran is concerning. What is stopping the regulatory bodies from seeing and taking action on the issues that jeopardize passenger safety?

I fly budget airlines with the implicit understanding that they will give me crappy service, no amenities or flexibility etc. but that the regulations prevent them from cutting corners on safety.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks