Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2020, 00:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pilot suspended for raising safety concerns against AirAsia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Actually, the thumbs up (3.4K) are almost up there with the thumbs down. (3.9K)

Jeroen
That is an extreme change from this person's usual like to dislike ratio, which is usually just 5% or so.

Interestingly enough he recently made a vlog on his earnings and pretty much showed his entire analytics page to everyone. His average earnings from YouTube for the past couple of months is just around Rs 6000/month. Lifetime earnings over 2 years has been Rs 1 lakh.

Old 25th June 2020, 10:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Actually, the thumbs up (3.4K) are almost up there with the thumbs down. (3.9K)

Jeroen
Here is another video from Boeing Boy with thumbs up (5.3k) and thumbs down (5.4k). Skip to 11.40 mins onwards.

One thing I have noticed that both these videos have mentioned / related to AirAsia with so many 'thumbs down'. None of any other videos of Boeing Boy have so many thumbs down.

Everyone now a days everyone has google account. Are there chances where AirAsia have informed all their employees / staff to 'thumbs down' videos giving negative publicity to AirAsia ?? With Paisa, Power & Politics, everything is possible.

This story started on 15th June and was all over social media, TV news, newspapers etc etc. Its been 10 days now, still there is not a single reply / comment from DGCA nor AirAsia.

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 25th June 2020 at 10:47.
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 19:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Everyone now a days everyone has google account. Are there chances where AirAsia have informed all their employees / staff to 'thumbs down' videos giving negative publicity to AirAsia ?? With Paisa, Power & Politics, everything is possible.

This story started on 15th June and was all over social media, TV news, newspapers etc etc. Its been 10 days now, still there is not a single reply / comment from DGCA nor AirAsia.
Youtube doesn't care whether the video gets a thumbs up or down. Both are engagement and proof that people are watching that video. The best thing for AirAsia or any company to do is to ask its employees to refrain from posting or reacting anything related to the company on social media. In fact, many companies have well laid out policies that cover social media as well.

Why do you think DGCA or AirAsia should answer anyone through social media? If there was a formal complaint logged, the response will be through the same channel and need not be presented in the public domain.

On a related note, I always wondered how he (FlyingBeast) finds time to manage two youtube channels while holding a full time job. Especially since a Pilot job requires one to be present for the entire course of the work and he can't take breaks or work odd hours to make up. Majority of the other big time YouTubers do it as a full time job. Whenever you join a new firm, there is a steep learning curve which demands extra time and effort. Could it be possible that he was not able to put in the effort due to the other commitments and that caused friction in the new workplace?
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 16:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
On a related note, I always wondered how he (FlyingBeast) finds time to manage two Youtube channels while holding a full time job. Especially since a Pilot job requires one to be present for the entire course of the work and he can't take breaks or work odd hours to make up.
Not a pilot myself but I've seen one closely. He was working with KingFisher during the good times and sold his bike to me, my neighbor

They do find a lot of time if doing domestic flights which are close to their home location. Of-course it is not a 9to5 job (make it 9 to 6+2 for India), their working hours can be very odd and if I'm not mistaken they cannot fly more than 100 hours in a month. So even if we convert it into a 8hr/day, they will be done in two and half weeks for a month. That leaves them with enough time, no ?

When I was working in one of the big fours there was a limit to how much you could earn outside of your profession and it was a ridiculously small amount so one would never actually earn anything outside of his primary job. Anyway, I don't know what are the technicalities behind this second source of income and how one reports it. Many IT professionals I've worked with have farming as a side business and they do take time off to go and do some harvesting and other stuff, earn quite a lot of money too.

Too much digressing I guess.

On a related note some other Pilot has now asked DGCA to look into the 'Imphal landings'

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/76640497.cms

Last edited by NiInJa : 26th June 2020 at 16:36.
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 19:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
Since there are few aviation experts and enthusiasts here, I wanted to know what are some other KPIs that are used to measure pilot's performance.
Any commercial pilots on this forum?
Even I am curious to know what are the performance KPIs given to you guys.
I am confident that there will be incentives with respect to saving fuel, shortening the turnaround, reducing the flight time etc.

In such case, doesn't it make for a risky flight (human tendency to maximize incentive)?
Old 26th June 2020, 21:45   #66
BHPian

I understand some/many people may not consider this scenario as such, but I'm interested to know how companies deal with online bullying.

How do brands deal with people who are alarmist & resort to online bullying (while the appealate authorities response is awaited) ?
Old 26th June 2020, 22:43   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Another video with more details, email screenshots attached:

Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 12:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I am confident that there will be incentives with respect to saving fuel, shortening the turnaround, reducing the flight time etc.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
In such case, doesn't it make for a risky flight (human tendency to maximize incentive)?
Precisely the reason why there isn’t, or shouldn’t. History has shown that any such incentive or dis-incentive/penalty causes accidents, so any airline doing so would be risking an accident which is almost a guarantee that it will not survive.
Old 28th June 2020, 22:28   #69
BHPian

It's being reported DGCA has opened an inquiry on said practices at AirAsia and has issued a show cause notice as well. All this post facto the video that went viral.

I am more disappointed that Tata Sons, which is such a respectable entity, and who hold majority stake in AirAsia India would let this happen.

I hope that safety measures scale up post this inquiry and the pilot gets back to gainful employment.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 22:53   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
It's being reported DGCA has opened an inquiry on said practices at AirAsia and has issued a show cause notice as well. All this post facto the video that went viral.

I am more disappointed that Tata Sons, which is such a respectable entity, and who hold majority stake in AirAsia India would let this happen.
Let us hear the other side too. The problem with social media is too much emotion, too little of facts and mob lynching. Opening an inquiry is not a guilty verdict. It is what would have happened if this worthy had sent a letter too. I have already given my views on Air Asia earlier on this thread but they still deserve a fair hearing. Without the context we cannot conclude on the veracity or seriousness of this persons accusations. Frankly as some one from the industry his videos don't contain much meat. Using phrases like flaps 3 landings might impress the lay viewer but without context means little.
Quote:
I hope that safety measures scale up post this inquiry and the pilot gets back to gainful employment.
I am all for safety measures improvement. I wonder what the crew resource management* track record of this person is. Frankly I would consider him taking video shoots of himself and his co-pilots inside the cockpit while flying or preparing to fly as a big safety violation. Your mind and attention needs to be on your work not on how smart you are going to look in the forthcoming episode number 82 that you are filming. Frankly I'm surprised he got recruited by Air Asia.

The common man, I think, does not fully understand how much care is exercised that an unwell or mentally distracted pilot is not put on the roster. If a pilot was making a video film out of every third flight he was flying and focused on his image as a youtube film star I would have taken him off the roster. Air Asia took longer to figure that out.

*crew resource management is the team work, speaking up and keeping an eye on each other that cockpit crew exercise to ensure a safe flight. It grew out of all powerful macho Captains making a mistake and either not listening to the other crew or the junior pilot being too scared to speak up. You want a pilot who is focused on his flying and not over whelmed by his own image as a star in his own reality youtube programme!

Last edited by V.Narayan : 28th June 2020 at 22:59.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 22:58   #71
BHPian

All I am saying is that Tata Sons were silent on this. If they would have made an official statement, it would have made a difference.

I understand, not everything is worth responding to, but SM has become a powerful tool to influence people and corporates need to keep that under consideration.

The pilot in question has probably broken number of guidelines as well but AirAsia is a recent employer and his history and actions would be public information at that time.

Anyways - I am more interested in what comes out of the inquiry.
Old 28th June 2020, 23:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
All I am saying is that Tata Sons were silent on this. If they would have made an official statement, it would have made a difference.
Silent on what? Nobody has ruled yet that Air Asia has broken any rules. So what are they going to given an official statement for?
Old 29th June 2020, 00:08   #73
BHPian

any kind of allegations or whistleblower news should be acknowledged at the very least. Whether it comes out as accurate or not, valid or not is left to regulatory bodies. That is what good corporate governance is.
Old 29th June 2020, 08:50   #74
BHPian

Here is an update, DGCA has issued showcause notice to Air Asia.

Link

Quote:
DGCA issues showcause to Air Asia India over allegations of safety norms violations by pilot

DGCA has initiated probe against AirAsia after one of its pilots, who also runs YouTube channel called Flying Beast, alleged violations of safety norms by the airliner. Gaurav Taneja on Sunday tweeted that he had been suspended by AirAsia India.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th June 2020 at 09:13. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 29th June 2020, 12:46   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
.....Your mind and attention needs to be on your work not on how smart you are going to look in the forthcoming episode number 82 that you are filming. Frankly I'm surprised he got recruited by Air Asia.

If a pilot was making a video film out of every third flight he was flying and focused on his image as a Youtube film star I would have taken him off the roster. Air Asia took longer to figure that out.

You want a pilot who is focused on his flying and not over whelmed by his own image as a star in his own reality Youtube programme!
It's like you stole my lines. I felt along those lines, too, but didn't write this clearly seeing how much non-aviation folks revered him. I always wondered how his regular employer allowed him to be a youtuber. Most full-time regular jobs do not allow you to moonlight because it affects your main job. And, more than anyone else's, a pilot's and a surgeon's job calls for focus, precision and dedication of highest order. They don't have the luxury of making errors that do not result in some serious consequences.

I am neither a fan of him nor anything against him but it is his fans I can't stand. Just go to comments section and see the crass comments. His fans are the judge, jury and the executioners. And, they have delivered guilty verdict on his airlines. They neither care a rat's derriere about aviation nor have any knowledge or interest in. What is with these folks looking for a hero to worship. Almost like politicians' bhakts.

Who knows maybe our man was reprimanded by his airline for his youtubing. Maybe some kind of censure letter which might have prompted him to declare war on his airline. People get too emotional and judge an incident by hearing out one side of a story. No one is an innocent angel. Everyone has his own axe to grind.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks