Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2020, 09:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Pilot suspended for raising safety concerns against AirAsia

Not sure about the veracity of the issues described by him. However, as a frequent passenger on Air Asia planes, I have to say that their landings are very bumpy and whenever there is turbulence, it does scare passengers more than it should. The only reason I fly airasia is because they are often the cheapest, and the only way you can offer the lowest ticket prices on an airline (considering the same routes, time slots for landing etc) these days is if you cut your workforce standards to a bare minimum, other business efficiency improvement practices being common across the industry. Standard MBA case study.

Not sure about others, but South East Asian airlines are shoddy about safety aspects. I will never fly AirAsia if the price difference is below 30%, ever again. Indigo provides a much safer and better experience compared to companies like Vietjet, AirAsia etc. which rely on gimmicks instead of substance and safety.

Someone mentioned that he was fired from Indigo earlier. I don't think that is true though. Had that been the case he'd have made the hue and cry earlier- he had more than a million subscribers last year as well.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 21st June 2020 at 09:58.
Old 21st June 2020, 09:55   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
every video crosses a million views in no time

total view count of his channel is somewhere around the 450 million view mark

Can someone give me a rough figure of how much the earnings can be? Is it that high that one can focus more on this?
It would hover in the range of INR 1.5 to 1.8L per month ( I think he admitted too to this number in one of his vlogs)

Like karo, subscribe karo, share karo - this is the mantra to earnings on youtube.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 11:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Are you allowed to be a vlogger apart from being a pilot? Do airlines allow that? In most jobs, they don't allow you to hold a second job or a money-spinning commercial venture. It's there for a reason. That your time, resources and attention/dedication is divided. Pilots' job, more than anyone else's, calls for highest degree of dedication to duty.

This man's fan base is really huge and insane. He is worshipped by his army of bhakts who are right now showering the choicest of words on his airline. Gaurav sure is an educated man, an IITian and a pilot, but same can't be said of his fans. They are almost like a lynch mob. Their aviation knowledge is zero, as can be gauged from the comments. Instead of focusing on airplanes he's talking about, they ask questions about his muscles, his trip, foreign locales etc. etc. But right now, they are the judge, jury and the executioner. They have delivered guilty verdict and are now baying for airlines' blood. Every story has at least two-sides. Without bothering to hearing out the airlines' side, his fans have gotten flamed.
pgsagar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 11:31   #49
BHPian

Quote:
What I see is that every video crosses a million views in no time and the total view count of his channel is somewhere around the 450 million view mark the last time I saw. Can someone give me a rough figure of how much the earnings can be?
Although Youtube earnings are not constant and depends on many factors. But in one of his older video, he mentioned that his earnings are around 2L a month just for his vlogging channel. Btw he has another fitness Youtube channel.

This does not include the brand deals which he or his wife as an 'influencer' must be getting via Instagram or Youtube from time to time.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 12:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if I assume he earns a rupee for every view, that is still 10L rupees per video which is no joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
It would hover in the range of INR 1.5 to 1.8L per month ( I think he admitted too to this number in one of his vlogs)

Like karo, subscribe karo, share karo - this is the mantra to earnings on Youtube.
It's 2-3 L per month average earning including both channels (fit muscle tv & flying beast). Other than that he earns a lot from Instagram, affiliate marketing, brand promotions, etc. He receives tons of gifts from his followers.

He is also planning to launch a gaming channel soon so expect another lac per month increase in income at least.

AFAIK a captain earns around 4.5 Lacs per month, his youtube, her wife's Instagram + other combined sources from their social media handles easily fetch around the same money (if not more) than what he receives as salary from Air Asia!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 12:33   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The only reason I fly airasia is because they are often the cheapest, and the only way you can offer the lowest ticket prices on an airline (considering the same routes, time slots for landing etc) these days is if you cut your workforce standards to a bare minimum, other business efficiency improvement practices being common across the industry. Standard MBA case study. .
If that is all they taught you on business efficiency improvement on your MBA course, it must have been a no-frill course!

Quote:
Not sure about others, but South East Asian airlines are shoddy about safety aspects. I will never fly AirAsia if the price difference is below 30%, ever again.
I don’t understand how apparently safety is related to the ticket price difference? Are you saying shoddy safety is ok, as long as you get a cheap enough ticket?

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 13:59   #52
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone give me a rough figure of how much the earnings can be?
According to Socialblade.com, below is a snapshot of both his channels. Looking at these numbers, I don't think he would care about losing the job.

Pilot suspended for raising safety concerns against AirAsia-flying-2.jpg

Pilot suspended for raising safety concerns against AirAsia-flying-.jpg

Last edited by AZT : 21st June 2020 at 14:05.
AZT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 14:31   #53
BHPian

He made $1800-1900 in March 2019!
He hit 10Lacs subscribers then, now 30Lacs and counting.

I do believe his passion for YouTube is more now. Incidentally after joining Air Asia.

I do think making videos, attending events, keeping up with social media fans and full time flying can make one sick often.
procrastinator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:37   #54
BHPian

Since there are few aviation experts and enthusiasts here, I wanted to know what are some other KPIs that are used to measure pilot's performance. Do they differ from airline to airline or standardised by the regulator? Does the regulator also reviews them and/or re-certifies the pilots after few years to weed out the underperforming ones?
low_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:27   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_rider View Post
Since there are few aviation experts and enthusiasts here, I wanted to know what are some other KPIs that are used to measure pilot's performance. Do they differ from airline to airline or standardised by the regulator? Does the regulator also reviews them and/or re-certifies the pilots after few years to weed out the underperforming ones?
There is a difference by what is mandated by the regulator and what airlines mandate themselves. Again, the regulator sets the formal legal requirement a pilot needs to adhere too.

Generally speaking any pilot needs at least two formal certifications. First one is related to the type of operation and or type of aircraft. Currency is maintained typically by things such as the number of flights, take off and landings under different conditions during a certain period. Again, these are all legal requirements. Evidence is usually via pilot’s logbook although maybe in commercial aviation there are other mechanism as well.

For instance, as an IFR pilot in the USA, operating single engine planes I needed to perform at least 6 Instrument Approaches every 6 month to stay current.

It sounds a bit simpler then it typically is in practice. Have a look at this FAA document describing how you can/need to go about it:

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia.../info15012.pdf

Pilots tend to have several different kind of ratings (IFR, ATP, Type rating, radio) and they all need to be maintained and checked on a regular basis.

For most commercial pilots that means a proficiency check ride on an approved/certified simulator conducted by a certified instructor every 6 month.

Without passing these proficiency checks, you can not fly!

Airlines might have other, additional check and procedures in place over and above what is legally required. I mentioned earlier on this thread how KLM used to (still does?) do line checks as they would call them. A senior captain would come along with the crew from beginning (briefing) through the flight, till the de-brief. He/she would observe and provide feedback on both pilots individually, teamwork etc.

The second type of certification is your medical certificate. Depending on your type of medical certificate the re-certification might be somewhat different.

Commercial airline pilots need the most stringent medical certificate, as so called class 1 certificate. A Class 1 medical certificate is valid for 12 months, unless you are 40 or over and carry out single pilot commercial air transport operations carrying passengers; or you are over 60. In both cases, it would be only 6 months.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
A classmate of mine who is a pilot in India currently, mentioned this person was removed by two other airlines earlier, he has some serious disciplinary issues which he is trying to cover up with all this. I don't have any proof but, these days people use social media and media for lot of personal agenda push.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I did not speculate. It’s a real friend and it is a real pilot flying for an Indian airline company. I have quoted that, it is an information I felt that was credible. My friend is not a member of TeamBHP, so I can’t drag him here to sit and debate his info or view points. And I have clearly stated in my post all these facts. I left it just as an info, so let that be.

So my dear flyboy, please avoid low flypast over a fellow member who happens to be a moderator and who happened to share a very valid opinion
Quote:
Someone mentioned that he was fired from Indigo earlier. I don't think that is true though. Had that been the case he'd have made the hue and cry earlier- he had more than a million subscribers last year as well.
Indigo was the first airline that the Vlogger had joined, from which he resigned voluntarily to join Air Asia last year. He was not fired from any airline prior to joining Air Asia.

The question about pilot training and currency has been well answered by Jeroen, there are minor differences between airlines but in general the regulations are fairly similar across the world, including India because they all follow the ICAO standards.

Differences from these standards have to be communicated to ICAO so that they are aware, and the information may be disseminated as required.
VeluM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 20:36   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
If that is all they taught you on business efficiency improvement on your MBA course, it must have been a no-frill course!

I don’t understand how apparently safety is related to the ticket price difference? Are you saying shoddy safety is ok, as long as you get a cheap enough ticket?

Jeroen
My statement was based on what's published about companies like Air Asia and Lion Air in the business school case studies. You can contact the authors if you have any objective criticisms

Also, this article might be relevant for any insight on how these SE Asian companies optimize their manpower, often jeopardizing the passengers. Thanks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/m...x-crashes.html
Nissan1180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 12:57   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My statement was based on what's published about companies like Air Asia and Lion Air in the business school case studies. You can contact the authors if you have any objective criticisms
Could you elaborate; which MBA course, author, article please?
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 18:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

Another Air Asia pilot with a channel has tried to explain the pros and cons of a Flaps 3 landing.

He has been downvoted to infinity!

avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 21:11   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Another Air Asia pilot with a channel has tried to explain the pros and cons of a Flaps 3 landing.

He has been downvoted to infinity!
Actually, the thumbs up (3.4K) are almost up there with the thumbs down. (3.9K)

I think he does a really good job explaining how it all works!. Of course, lots of people don’t want to hear that. Or, apparently, there are folks out there that will down vote any video over 60 seconds regardless.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks