Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2021, 16:17   #31
BHPian

re: Kerala wins trademark battle for "KSRTC" Vs Karnataka. EDIT: KA retains legal right to use "KSRTC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Two Govt owned organizations using tax payers money to fight it out in a Court for years when they could have done this through arbitration! What a pity.

Off topic: One reason our High Courts and our Supreme Court are clogged is because whenever the Govt {Central or State or PSU} loses against an individual or private company they refuse to accept the judgement and simply file an appeal at the next judicial level. It doesn't cost them anything as you & I are footing the bill and no Govt Babu can be accused of having gone soft on the hapless citizen {who won the case} and having to give in to the citizen.

I wait with bated breath for these three to get into a quarrel - Manipur SRTC, Mizoram SRTC, Meghalaya SRTC - all close to each other. What about Haryana SRTC and Himachal SRTC? Let the games begin.
Not wanting to take the discussion offtopic, agree with you 100% Sir. Have personally experienced happening to my father who worked in PSU.
For his pending gratuity, due to some improper announcement by govt. He and a group of retired employees were made to run to court.

When the lower courts gave the judgment in favor of the employees, the PSU appealed in High Court, when single judge ruled in their favor, they appealed for a Division bench just to please some ministers\senior people.

The division bench judges ruled in favor of the employees with some scathing remarks against the PSU for treating their retired employees like this. My father believes if not for the judge's remarks the PSU would have gone for appeal to the next higher court.
Arun_S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 19:01   #32
BHPian

re: Kerala wins trademark battle for "KSRTC" Vs Karnataka. EDIT: KA retains legal right to use "KSRTC"

KSRTC (Karnataka) has shared statements attributed to Managing Director, Shivayogi C. Kalasad on Twitter wherein they have expressed surprise regarding the news reports and categorically stated that THERE IS NO LEGAL PROHIBITION AGAINST THE USE OF THE TRADEMARK ‘KSRTC’ by Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation. They have also added that lawyers are being consulted regarding the issue to protect the Corporation's rights.

Last edited by gischethans : 4th June 2021 at 19:02. Reason: Grammar
Old 4th June 2021, 19:28   #33
BHPian

Kerala State Road Transport Corporation was established before the Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation, so they got to keep the name. Nothing new there.

Money both corporations could have utilised for more productive reasons got spent on fighting a case. This probably won't be the end of it as the case could end up going into the appeals process.

These SRTCs are a lifeline in many regions, more so with the ongoing pandemic having made running Private buses unprofitable on many routes.

Last edited by vik99 : 4th June 2021 at 19:29.
vik99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 20:48   #34
BHPian

KARNATAKA has different take on this episode, check this tweet thread from MD of SRTC https://twitter.com/ksrtc_journeys/s...954936321?s=21

In summary- No order against Karnataka using KSRTC trademark. Centre has abolished Trade IAPB and the cases transferred to High Courts. Says reports are not accurate & KSRTC will continue to use this as before.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 4th June 2021 at 20:50.
Old 4th June 2021, 20:50   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What about Haryana SRTC and Himachal SRTC? Let the games begin.
Not going to happen, in most states in the North, we use simple terms, like Himachal Roadways, Haryana Roadways, Punjab Roadways and so on. They may have different name otherwise like HRTCHP (Himachal) or RSRTC (Rajasthan).

Exceptions, DTC (Delhi Transport Corporation), CTU (Chandigarh Transport undertaking)

For an outsider, KESRTC or KASRTC does make more sense. Probably, instead of fighting they could have moved to something simpler - Kerala roadways or Karnataka Roadways.

So, will Karnataka now go to the higher courts?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th June 2021 at 23:29. Reason: Typo corrected. Thanks.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 22:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Pointless lawsuit. Most buses will be identifiable with the bi-lingual writing in Malayalam/Kannada and their color schemes.

Btw, Gov. of Karnataka owns the domain www.ksrtc.in

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th June 2021 at 22:26.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 23:19   #37
BHPian

This is the kind of baloney that a bunch of college kids would have a hearty laugh over while shooting the breeze at a cafe. There are a million other things that both organizations could improve on instead of a trademark. Its not like we're fighting to save the NASA, ISRO trademark.

I may sound elitist or unpopular but govt organisations such as xRTCs, xTDCs etc have no place in the 21st century. They are indifferent to the consumer, terrible service for the most part and have zero focus on safety/hygiene, all critical points in today's day and age.
yd_gli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 07:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
This is the kind of baloney that a bunch of college kids would have a hearty laugh over while shooting the breeze at a cafe. There are a million other things that both organizations could improve on instead of a trademark. Its not like we're fighting to save the NASA, ISRO trademark.
Couldn't agree more with you on this. Perhaps this is where the Judiciary should step in and establish practises. The States themselves haven't exactly done a stellar job at this. It will ensure there is no wastage of public money on such matters in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I may sound elitist or unpopular but govt organisations such as xRTCs, xTDCs etc have no place in the 21st century. They are indifferent to the consumer, terrible service for the most part and have zero focus on safety/hygiene, all critical points in today's day and age.
I have a different take on this, let me explain. The terrible service and indifference to customers are a symptom of poor management, lack of motivation to do better perhaps. This is not limited to these entities. Instead of writing them off as having no place in the current times we would do better to reform them and hold those responsible accountable for their non-performance.

Public enterprises/services/utilities are built using tax payer money over long periods of time and are national assets. The perils of excessive privatisation in such spaces has become apparent in recent times. The purposes served by these are way too important (more so in times of crises) to do away with.

Last edited by vik99 : 5th June 2021 at 08:19.
vik99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 08:09   #39
BHPian

Someone asked how Kerala won the case and what facts they presented.

As Mohanlal says in a movie -- I am the answer I am the answer
They used Prem Nazir, Sheela, Bhasi and Movie Kannur Deluxe as proof! no Kidding.

https://keralakaumudi.com/en/news/news.php?id=563363&u

Made my day, week and month!
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 08:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Two Govt owned organizations using tax payers money to fight it out in a Court for years when they could have done this through arbitration! What a pity.
Here's what I would like to happen now :
1. Quickly arrest the official who initiated this.
2. All the culprits up the chain who approved this including the minister in charge at the time and any ministers and officials who continued this.
3. All the judges who did not throw this case out
4. The lawyers who benefitted
5. There were other entities that benefitted, follow the money trail and get them
6. Because it required both states to participate, it would not be restricted to one state, and the governors of the states must be held responsible too.

Throw all of them in jail, recover all the money wasted, including the cost of the time spent by the government officials and other public resources and the court's time. (with interest, of course! 1 percent per day is fine by me).

Pass a new law (not really necessary, but...) that specifically criminalizes such actions by public servants.

/S
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 08:50   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

KSRTC...it always brings me the picture of an Airavatha, Rajahamsa, and the many coloured buses from Karnataka. Never do I get a picture of a Kerala bus.

That's because I grew up with it. Changing it colloquially to a new name will take a generation or two at least. It's not an acronym...it's an emotion actually. It feels sad if we are not allowed to use that anymore. So you won't find a better person than me (and other Kannadigas) to understand that same feeling a Malayalee has towards his/her KSRTC

What saddens me even more was that both states were using it for so many years. For Border towns it was a problem I understand but people were using it. There were solutions for Web domains and other related things as well. It would've just continued as it is if let alone. I don't know who exactly initiated this but I know it was started from Karnataka. Simply went to court and lost!!

Now spend lots and lots of tax payer money on fighting at higher courts and then renaming all boards, hoardings, painting etc!

I don't know how we can teach our next generation the art of coexistence if we are fighting with our own people like this for small things!!
hemanth.anand is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 08:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Someone asked how Kerala won the case and what facts they presented.

As Mohanlal says in a movie -- I am the answer I am the answer
They used Prem Nazir, Sheela, Bhasi and Movie Kannur Deluxe as proof! no Kidding.

https://keralakaumudi.com/en/news/news.php?id=563363&u
They showed movies? Why? Did they lose their registration documents?

On the issue of going to court, I think that's the right approach. When two people may or may not agree to compromise, it's silly to think two states can sort it out themselves. If that were the case, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu would have sorted out the Cauvery issue themselves. Karnataka and Maharashtra would not be fighting over Belgaum and so on.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 09:03   #43

Irrespective the outcome of the judgement, we will end up calling Karnataka RTC as KSRTC just as in the cases of Bangalore’s city bus corporation was earlier named BTS eventually renamed as BMTC. Yet, we Bangaloreans refer to it as BTS.

If you notice, most of the Bangaloreans (even a Bangalore born kannadiga like me) still use the moniker Bangalore and not Bengaluru.
‘Bangalore or B’lore’ is an emotional name rather than the political namesake Bengaluru.
The same trend goes on in any part of the country.

PS : I bet Allahabadis don’t refer to themselves as PrayagRajians now.
RoboCop13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 09:37   #44

Actually no state won the trademark battle yet. The registrar office ruled that both Karnataka and Kerala can use "KSRTC", earlier only Karnataka could use it.
Kerala has a trademark of KSRTC brand along with the red/white or green/white combinations, so Karnataka can still brand their Airavats as KSRTC.

"Aanavandi" trademark is pure waste, I don't think except the fanboys, nobody would call it as "Aanavandi Corporation". Both states totally wasting tax payers' money over a useless case.

Now don't think this so called "battle" is won, now the case can be escalated to higher authorities or court and could go for the next 10-20 years again wasting our money. Anyways fanboys are happy.
arungoks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 10:32   #45
BHPian

At the first instance, you may think that both states are trying to keep the KSRTC fancy name! But in reality, those who acquire the KSRTC trademark gets to keep the web domains like KSRTC.gov.in, KSRTC.in etc for online booking. Most of the interstate travelers just search for ksrtc online booking in google to book tickets. Whoever gets to use this domain will naturally get more bookings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
They showed movies? Why? Did they lose their registration documents?
Since the movie was released in 1965, this helped them to prove the early existence of Kerala's RTC. This movie had clear visuals of KSRTC nameplate and the logo.
I know it is crazy. But looks like that's how things work.

Last edited by pradeep_mvpa : 5th June 2021 at 10:40. Reason: avoid back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks