Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2021, 22:20   #1
BHPian

Kerala & Karnataka fight for "KSRTC" trademark | EDIT: KA retains legal right to use "KSRTC"

So this happened. I used to wonder that some years ago, the usual LSRTC buses we Malayalees lovingly call 'Aanavandi' seemed using the acronym KeSRTC. Later I came to know that this was due to a legal notice from Karanataka SRTC as they have trademarked the original acronym and we could not use it. Later I came to know that the legal tussle between the states started as far back since 1994. I was a little disappointed with this and also a little miffed with the latter even though I avoid the state road transport buses like plague when I'm driving.

Now, after about 27 years, the central trade mark registry has given the sole rights of the acronym KSRTC to Kerala and to sweeten it, we also got the 'Aanavandi' term also for our sole use.

News link :-

https://www.theweek.in/news/india/20...-registry.html
BLACNWYTE is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 07:10   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Kerala wins trademark battle for "KSRTC" Vs Karnataka

Quote:
After the long drawn-out battle over intellectual property rights, the Kerala Road Transport Corporation has got the legal rights to its trademarks - acronym KSRTC, the logo of two elephants and the name Anavandi - associated with the state-run transport corporation.
Source:Indian Express

Both states were using KSRTC as the name for their state run Road Transport Corporation and would cause confusion. I remember some of our TBHP members would distinguish them by using KeSRTC and KaSRTC sometimes
NPV is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 07:46   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 'KSRTC' belongs to Kerala; Karnataka can no longer use it: Trade Marks Registry

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the CV section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kerala wins trademark battle for "KSRTC" Vs Karnataka. EDIT: KA retains legal right to use "KSRTC"

It’s feels good for me. Especially since I’m from a border district and we needed to elaborate on Kerala RTC and Karnataka RTC every time. And being a border district it was frequent.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kerala wins trademark battle for "KSRTC" Vs Karnataka. EDIT: KA retains legal right to use "KSRTC"

Haha - this is funny to read about as a 3rd person but it hits hard if one is involved. KSRTC to me signals Kerala transport options (exposed to that first since 2000) but the wife is appalled at this decision as for her KSRTC means her home state transport

I wonder if it really would make a difference to the average individual on the road. All verbal references would still stick to KSRTC across both states I believe.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Two Govt owned organizations using tax payers money to fight it out in a Court for years when they could have done this through arbitration! What a pity.

Off topic: One reason our High Courts and our Supreme Court are clogged is because whenever the Govt {Central or State or PSU} loses against an individual or private company they refuse to accept the judgement and simply file an appeal at the next judicial level. It doesn't cost them anything as you & I are footing the bill and no Govt Babu can be accused of having gone soft on the hapless citizen {who won the case} and having to give in to the citizen.

I wait with bated breath for these three to get into a quarrel - Manipur SRTC, Mizoram SRTC, Meghalaya SRTC - all close to each other. What about Haryana SRTC and Himachal SRTC? Let the games begin.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 3rd June 2021 at 08:39.
V.Narayan is offline   (93) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

One of the biggest advantage would be if Kerala RTC gets the domain www.ksrtc.in. Right now it is owned by Karnataka RTC and Kerala RTC lives with www.keralartc.com. As it is there is a tussle between both governments in terms of road transport. Now with this have to see how KA government reacts.

Is that happening with this win?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd June 2021 at 08:41.
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:58   #8
BHPian

As much as it being a happy moment for me as a fan of Kerala RTC buses, I think it's a pointless win. Kerala RTC is a loss making corporation since ages before the pandemic. Vehicle maintenance and service quality varies between depots. I believe they have far more stuff to concentrate on rather than a name.
Joscyriac is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 09:29   #9
BHPian

Things could have been settled through arbitration yes but either parties would not have come to any meaning full resolution as a lot of political ego is at stake. Sometimes its better to let the courts decide. I am guessing that the verdict went in favor of Kerala because its RTC was formed in 1965 while Karnataka integrated all its services under its RTC in 1973. Anyways, the red-yellow (Kerala-local) lorries are as much killers on the road as the white-red(Karnataka-local) smoke emitting squids.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 09:39   #10
BHPian

Priorities!

Kerala SRTC should have settled it out of court or offered some deal to sell the TM to make some money (they aren't making any running buses anyway).

Karnataka SRTC is better organised and has showcased better operation efficiency since the late 90s. I am told KSRTC bus-employee ratio in Kerala SRTC is poor. There was a move to change the bus-staff ratio from 1:2.75 to 1:8 which met stiff resistance.
Thilak29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 09:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Although I am from Karnataka, I am neutral about the decision by court about using KSRTC by Kerala and not Karnataka. After all, we will find another better name for our transport.

But really curious to know, what grounds did the court have to give the current decision. Based on what data, facts or evidence did the court come to this judgement? Is it really objective decision or are there any prejudice or influence that has played its role in the judgement?

I think same questions would have come up even if the judgement was passed on behalf of Karnataka. Just to clarify, I am not questioning the judgement of the court in any way. I am just curious how the court would have handled the case.
gkveda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 09:46   #12
BHPian

Considering the employee and fleet size where KSRTC (Karnataka) is huge compared to Kerala, i guess many folks in the former state might be disappointed.

Nonetheless, should matter less to the public and will get used to the new name with time whenever that comes out. I've always had an emotional connect with Karnataka's KSRTC and i would feel at home immediately after seeing any of their buses during interstate travels, as might be the case with folks from their respective states.
abhi7013 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 09:51   #13
BHPian

It's absolutely deplorable that these state enterprises are taking it out in our already clogged courts instead of improving their quality of service.

I do understand that KSRTC is an emotive name for Keralites (probably the same for people from Karnataka as well) but is this what we want to spend our limited resources on? Fighting for trademarks?

The rivalries between Southern and Eastern states just seem comical !
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:25   #14
Team-BHP Support

What's wrong with adopting a consistent nationwide XX-RTC format, first two letters being the state's unique RTO notation?
Chetan_Rao is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's wrong with adopting a consistent nationwide XX-RTC format, first two letters being the state's unique RTO notation?
Absolutely. MoRTH should step in and mandate this. Rename the website URLs too accordingly: www.klsrtc.in, www.kasrtc.in, www.mhsrtc.in, etc. Easily doable, and all would be happy.

Have tweeted this, please retweet:

https://twitter.com/Vharihar2/status...400122883?s=19

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd June 2021 at 11:19. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
vharihar is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks