Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2021, 16:44   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kerala wins trademark battle for "KSRTC" Vs Karnataka. EDIT: KA retains legal right to use "KSRTC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Forget about not making profit, this KSRTC (KL) does not even have proper funds to even pay the salaries and pensions, but there is no dearth of all these drama over a mere name.
There is however, a lot of emotional connect between the brand and people of Kerala. As a kid growing up in Kerala, my love for automobiles started with KSRTC buses. The agency had a renaissance of sorts in the late 70s and introduced many new services including non-stop high speed buses called "Terraplanes" (This trademark is now used for their express cargo service) - way ahead of other state transport corps in South India. Having used a trademark for 8 years longer than the other RTC, I am not surprised Kerala decided to push back, when told by Karnataka (whom they thought of as a "trademark usurper") to no longer use it.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 06:26   #62
BHPian

re: Kerala wins trademark battle for "KSRTC" Vs Karnataka. EDIT: KA retains legal right to use "KSRTC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I wait with bated breath for these three to get into a quarrel - Manipur SRTC, Mizoram SRTC, Meghalaya SRTC - all close to each other.
You forgot Maharashtra, MP and also another case of Telangana, Tripura 😂
Old 7th June 2021, 10:04   #63
BHPian

For the love of using public transports, I have had the privilege of using state buses for both Kerela and Karnataka.

Karnataka Road Transport (formerly known as KSRTC) is miles ahead. They have the best of volvos (like Airavat club class) and the cheapest general category buses. They all are fast and efficient and one of the best state transports in India. And with KSTDC (Karnataka tourism) i have roamed around to all parts of not only Karnatak abut entire South India.

In fact when I had to travel interstate to Andhra, Tamil Nadu, Kerela anywhere I used to hunt and prefer booking in KSRTC (Karnataka). Their online well working website, excellent connectivity all around south including other states, good well managed buses, timely schedules made the choice a no brainer.

Travelled to Tirupati, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pondicherry, Salem, Ooty, Kodaikanal, Cochin, Munnar, Alleppey, Trivandrum (not mentioning the Karnataka states) all with Karnataka road transport.

Winning trade mark is one thing, living upto the KSRTC brand is another story.

Last edited by xway : 7th June 2021 at 10:06.
xway is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Priorities!

Kerala SRTC should have settled it out of court or offered some deal to sell the TM to make some money (they aren't making any running buses anyway).
Out of court settlement would also invariably involve money which ultimately would be of tax payer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
But really curious to know, what grounds did the court have to give the current decision. Based on what data, facts or evidence did the court come to this judgement? Is it really objective decision or are there any prejudice or influence that has played its role in the judgement?
The first starter advantage is with KERALA SRTC. Mysore State was renamed Karnataka in the late seventy's.
A Malayalam movie Kannur Deluxe made in 1969, revolved around a KSRTC bus, the serial number and logo of which was an evidencet in Kerala's favor.
Size or efficiency are not at all criteria for settling trade mark disputes.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th June 2021 at 19:28.
rajeev k is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 17:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
Karnataka Road Transport (formerly known as KSRTC) is miles ahead. They have the best of volvos (like Airavat club class) and the cheapest general category buses. They all are fast and efficient and one of the best state transports in India. And with KSTDC (Karnataka tourism) i have roamed around to all parts of not only Karnatak abut entire South India.
Agreed that they have a good Volvo service, but is that the right measuring parameter for an STU? STUs are supposed to serve the common man - their premium services should only be a way to make up profits, and perhaps make good losses due to routes served solely to meet societal commitments. To say that Karnataka has the cheapest "general category" buses in myopic. The cheapest services among STUs in India would be Tamil Nadu, followed by Kerala. Karnataka buses are fairly expensive - with ordinary buses charging close to a rupee per kilometre.
binaiks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 20:12   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Agreed that they have a good Volvo service, but is that the right measuring parameter for an STU? STUs are supposed to serve the common man - their premium services should only be a way to make up profits, and perhaps make good losses due to routes served solely to meet societal commitments. To say that Karnataka has the cheapest "general category" buses in myopic. The cheapest services among STUs in India would be Tamil Nadu, followed by Kerala. Karnataka buses are fairly expensive - with ordinary buses charging close to a rupee per kilometre.
I dont have the latest update as no longer reside in Bengaluru since some years.

But mostly the topmost classes Mercedes, Volvos, Multi axles etc. were equal to the private players and cheaper too. The private players prices sky rocketed during demand times, and wait or club multiple passengers/routes when running not full, marred with delays and extra stoppages, pick up points. So, Karnataka SRTC was always preferred.

Also, Karnataka ST has various options right from top of the line to economy and most routes covered including other states, whereas other state transports did not have so many quality bus options for most routes, barring a couple of prime routes.

Well, being a regular rider, I can say that Karnataka transport also had cheaper options at par with other states like tamil nadu and kerela.
The catch is you do not have online booking for these and in the cheapest option even reservation is not available and is first come first serve basis.

On one hand it had club class, gold, platinum, Vayu Vajra, Airavat, Rajhamsa, Sarige for the top line, it also has ordinary, deluxe, super deluxe, express for the mass market.

I have travelled in all and found even the ordinary and deluxe which cost a fraction of Sariges/Airavats delivered excellent value for money when on budget. Service wise they were fast, timely, efficient with courteous staff and I was never disappointed.
xway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 12:20   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
Well, being a regular rider, I can say that Karnataka transport also had cheaper options at par with other states like tamil nadu and kerela.
The catch is you do not have online booking for these and in the cheapest option even reservation is not available and is first come first serve basis.

On one hand it had club class, gold, platinum, Vayu Vajra, Airavat, Rajhamsa, Sarige for the top line, it also has ordinary, deluxe, super deluxe, express for the mass market.

I have travelled in all and found even the ordinary and deluxe which cost a fraction of Sariges/Airavats delivered excellent value for money when on budget. Service wise they were fast, timely, efficient with courteous staff and I was never disappointed.
The Sariges were their local express buses - and having travelled quite a lot by them, I can be confident enough to say they aren't really cheap. May be we could argue for the sake of it, but they definitely aren't cheap.

States like TN and Kerala offer services at a much cheaper rate (not talking of interstate services - since interstate service fares are dependent on what the particular state allows). Rajahamsa is often called a "Raja-Himsa" (Royal Pain) for the terribly slow services they offer.

There is not doubt to the fact that they offer great premium services, but the same cannot be said about their normal services - the normal services are what matters to the common man.
binaiks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 07:48   #68
BHPian

I am a big fan of the Kerala SRTC, especially the green Express (super Express) bus, right from my childhood.

But, these litigations could have been avoided if Transport ministry had issued a guideline to name the State Road Transport Corporations with First two letters of the state - so it would be KeSRTC for Kerala and KaSRTC for Karnataka.

For Himachal HiSRTC and Haryana HaSRTC.

Likewise for Mizoram,Manipur and Meghalaya - Ma Mi and Me - this should be made mandatory.
adityadeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 08:01   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post

...so it would be KeSRTC for Kerala and KaSRTC for Karnataka. For Himachal HiSRTC and Haryana HaSRTC. Likewise for Mizoram,Manipur and Meghalaya - Ma Mi and Me - this should be made mandatory.
I'm sure our government babus know all this and more, so why did they not do it right away? I'll let you deduce the truth. And like any good detective, we should follow the money and other motivations. But the simplest answer is: they are not about serving the public.
Old 6th June 2022, 08:16   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
I am a big fan of the Kerala SRTC, especially the green Express (super Express) bus, right from my childhood.

But, these litigations could have been avoided if Transport ministry had issued a guideline to name the State Road Transport Corporations with First two letters of the state - so it would be KeSRTC for Kerala and KaSRTC for Karnataka.

For Himachal HiSRTC and Haryana HaSRTC.

Likewise for Mizoram,Manipur and Meghalaya - Ma Mi and Me - this should be made mandatory.
We are experts in making an issue out of a non-issue

2-letter RTO state codes already exist, and are guaranteed to be unique by definition. Why not piggyback on that.

Just call it KLSRTC, KASRTC, MHSRTC, etc. Mandate it to be called this. Issue resolved.

It's just a matter of time before people get used to it. Rest of the stuff about emotional connect is all bogus, not to be indulged in, if we're serious about solving problems.
vharihar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 09:02   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Karnataka retains the legal right to use KSRTC abbreviation.

Quote:
The Madras High Court on Tuesday cleared all the legal hurdles for the Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) to use the abbreviation KSRTC and offered ownership of all its trademarks, according to a release by KSRTC
Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th December 2023 at 09:04.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2023, 09:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Karnataka retains the legal right to use KSRTC abbreviation.
So the battle between KA and KL has been resolved by TN.

If Kerala and Karnataka STCs were using same abbreviation for more than 30 years, regardless of who started using it earlier, the name should go to the one who made effort to trademark the name. I agree (as a neutral person) with court that Kerala had 30-40 years to file trademark but did not do so.

My friend (Clevermax’s brother) says very good things about B9R and B11Rs running between Bengalore and KL (his home state). Hope KL will focus more on driver training and improving the fleet.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks