Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2021, 11:27   #46
BHPian

re: Kerala wins trademark battle for "KSRTC" Vs Karnataka. EDIT: KA retains legal right to use "KSRTC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It's not an acronym...it's an emotion actually. It feels sad if we are not allowed to use that anymore. So you won't find a better person than me (and other Kannadigas) to understand that same feeling a Malayalee has towards his/her KSRTC

I don't know who exactly initiated this but I know it was started from Karnataka. Simply went to court and lost!!

!!
True, it's an emotion for people from both states and in my opinion, they both should continue using the name without making it difficult for each other.

As I understand, this was initiated by two events from Karnataka side.
1. Since late 2000s , KA insisted that all KL buses plying to Karnataka should mention Kerala SRTC instead of KSRTC.
While Kerala did not make any such demands on Rajahamsas or airavats plying on Kerala roads.

2. KA sent a legal notice to KL stop using KSRTC moniker.

Both these department should meet, shed their ego and allow each other to use the name. After all the buses look so different and any layman can figure out which is which.
Lambydude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:31   #47
BHPian

re: Kerala wins trademark battle for "KSRTC" Vs Karnataka. EDIT: KA retains legal right to use "KSRTC"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep_mvpa View Post
At the first instance, you may think that both states are trying to keep the KSRTC fancy name! But in reality, those who acquire the KSRTC trademark gets to keep the web domains like KSRTC.gov.in, KSRTC.in etc for online booking.
Interesting point. Web domains don't come under copyright laws. So Karnataka can still keep the ksrtc.gov.in domain but redirect to a new site as necessary
Old 5th June 2021, 11:35   #48
BHPian

It is such a great news for the people of Karnataka and Kerala, no?

Just because of this disputed name, the bus service was poor in the states earlier.
Now that this is sorted, all the buses will arrive on time, conductors will behave well, bus drivers won't drive like they are the kings on the road, folks will get 1 charging port per bench for their cellphones and there are countless benefits to add.

So it's definitely a win-win both for the government's ego and the government's ego!

We all should be happy that our governments fought for such a big cause for 27 long years!

*Disclaimer - pun intended*
Rambo-RS is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 13:18   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's wrong with adopting a consistent nationwide XX-RTC format, first two letters being the state's unique RTO notation?
One more step forward, just simply keep it as RTC. Let there be a common quality standard defined for all RTCs across the country.

Collate all good things each of state RTC owns and make it common for all.

This name owning ego is not good for anyone. In Tamilnadu, district level ego led to making it as a common TNSTC instead of prominent names for every district. In that we forgot lost freedom fighters names (at least on buses).

Good thing on Kerala buses - On Time (At least they upfront say arrival time)
Good thing on karnataka buses - Comfort

Anyway, i always think the entire rules/regulations with respect to passenger vehicles have to be re-defined.
Old 5th June 2021, 13:36   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
One of the biggest advantage would be if Kerala RTC gets the domain www.ksrtc.in. Is that happening with this win?
I don't think the Karnataka RTC would have to give up the domain. It is the legal owner of the domain. They could just redirect it to their expanded name or whatever else they come up with.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 13:56   #51
BHPian

As a person connected to both states, I think this was an unnecessary engagement by Kerala RTC.

More than the name, what matters is the brand perception. In that context, Karnataka RTC is miles ahead of Kerala RTC. Be it ease of buying a ticket, be it the attitude and training of employees, and above all on the quality of vehicles and timely innovations, Karnataka leads by far.

So, if Kerala RTC wanted to fight, try building a better brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
One of the biggest advantage would be if Kerala RTC gets the domain www.ksrtc.in. Right now it is owned by Karnataka RTC and Kerala RTC lives with www.keralartc.com. As it is there is a tussle between both governments in terms of road transport. Now with this have to see how KA government reacts.
Is that happening with this win?
Domain ownership cannot be affected by this rule. So, not happening. As a matter of fact do a domain name search few time is godaddy.com, and guys will register it themselves, even before you do. Then they make money by selling it to you.

Second, the news doesn't seem accurate. Karnataka has registered a trademark, so it would stand under a court. I can't comment what exactly has been the verdict, unless I look at it. So far, I can't find any, other than press release by Kerala minister.
WhiteKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 14:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

So the Karnataka RTC sent a legal notice to the Kerala RTC and got themselves shot in the foot. I wonder how the team/person behind this must be feeling now for this unwanted situation. There was no need for such an issue in the first place !

Seems like not much have noticed this, especially under the current pandemic situation where people are not travelling like before. For me it was very easy to distinguish the buses from each state since the color code and models are distinct. The only part where confusion arises is with the Volvo/Scania multi-axle fleets, where both look similar in their white avatar.

The next logical step would be to find a new name or acronym for the Karnataka RTC. Definitely a lot of money will be needed to replace the boards and signs.
Old 5th June 2021, 16:51   #53
BHPian

I wonder if there is a need for Karnataka RTC to be called KSRTC. They already have branded most of their intercity bus lines like Sarige, Rajahamsa, Airavat etc. There are also the regional variants like NEKSRTC (North-East KSRTC, I think). Airavat and Rajahamsa inter-city buses are on-par, if not better than private operators (they are miles ahead of other state corp buses in the south). I think they should use this as an opportunity to create a fun brand - rather than soviet sounding abbreviations.
sramanat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 17:07   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
So, if Kerala RTC wanted to fight, try building a better brand.
Exactly my thoughts around this news

Besides nostalgia, the brand K(e)SRTC (see, the confusion is inherent and will continue despite this so-called order) should also stand for something of value as on today. Of course, where they have a route monopoly they are understandably very sought after.

On the other hand, I found the offerings (in buses, experience) of K(a)SRTC (here we go again) above par, private players included

Given that both companies have their skin in the game, they are better off finding out a common ground out of the confusion without turning the other decades-old establishment's name on its head
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 19:57   #55
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
But really curious to know, what grounds did the court have to give the current decision. Based on what data, facts or evidence did the court come to this judgement? Is it really objective decision or are there any prejudice or influence that has played its role in the judgement?
One reason can be that while KSRTC of Kerala represents the whole state, KSRTC of Karnataka represents 1 of the 4 transport corporations in the state; others being NEKRTC, NWKRTC & BMTC. So the claim of Kerala to the acronym may weigh higher as it concerns the state transport corporation for the whole state.

Having said that I too feel the matter could have been resolved through arbitration. Afterall, more than name or acronym, it is the service & ease of identification which are more important.
rkw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 19:57   #56
BHPian

In Maharashtra, though the formal name of the corporation is MSRTC, common public refer to them as just ST. Heck, ST is written on the MSRTC logo itself, that too in Marathi. How simple it would be if each state referred to their buses as ST buses.

Anywho, doesn't Karnataka have a bunch of other public road transport corporations, like NWKRTC? Their buses are very well maintained and are driven very fast. Try overtaking one on Mumbai - Bangalore highway in a hatchback or something and see for yourself.
Old 5th June 2021, 20:01   #57
BHPian

Karnataka rejects Kerala’s claim over brand name, says Trade Marks Registry order has no legal basis

Quote:
Contesting the claims made by Kerala, Kalasad added that the central government had abolished the Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB) by an ordinance on April 4, 2021, and any award issued by it is legally invalid as all such pending applications will be transferred to the High Courts for adjudication.

“We are consulting our lawyers to take legal steps to protect our rights. If Kerala issues notice to us, we will respond suitably. We reserve our right to defend our claim legally,” added Kalasad
News link
Old 5th June 2021, 20:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Forget about not making profit, this KSRTC (KL) does not even have proper funds to even pay the salaries and pensions, but there is no dearth of all these drama over a mere name.

Spoilt by unions and union leaders, tussle between managements and workers etc.. the department should instead spend efforts in those areas to get things streamlined and make this a good and profitable organization and provide excellent service to the tax payers. Who cares whether it is KSRTC or Kerala RTC!

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th June 2021 at 20:47.
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 11:43   #59
BHPian

Off-Topic

One of the reasons why many RTC's make losses, while private operators earn profits can be twofold.

One is obviously mismanagement, especially when it comes to expenditure management.

The second and probably important aspect is that almost all RTC's operate on routes even if they are loss-making because the primary purpose is to serve the public, notwithstanding the quality of service. Many a time we find half or even almost empty bus operate because they have to. That is the reason many busses operate to even sparsely populated villages, but private operators don't.

Obviously, we can reduce the costs to some extent by having better maintenance and reducing unnecessary staff costs wherever possible.
vamsi.kona is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 14:42   #60
BHPian

Really surprised seeing how many think this could have been sorted out among themselves. Well, try that with your neighbor and you will know.

If it was Karnataka SRTC who began this, I don't see a reason why Kerala SRTC shouldn't fight it out. Just because they are overall bigger warrants them getting to keep the name? Set of population each state serves is different.

Looking at the statement made on co-existence by KA, had Karnataka SRTC won this, don't think they would have let Kerala SRTC use the KSRTC name any further?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
They showed movies? Why? Did they lose their registration documents?
Also means Karnataka SRTC did not have a document (or a movie) that showed their existence before Kerala's SRTC?

Last edited by ganesc : 6th June 2021 at 14:54.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks