Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2023, 12:33   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Air India's Pee-gate incident

I mean what is going only with flyers these days. We have heard of road rage and there was air rage and now this. It seems once incident triggers off another elsewhere and have started a trend of some sorts. I will be wary of flying and will be wishing people who to take the air route a happy, safe and dry journey.
Old 5th March 2023, 14:29   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
This must be qualified with the detail that it happened on an American Airlines jet. As it is Air India is being bothered with social media distractions from so-called people in high places over some fairly trivial issues of catering (not
contamination related) which must be looked at in the overall context of the airline industry, and not in isolation. A family relative recently traveled from the US to Singapore on Singapore Airlines and was served bland cold ungarnished pasta in the name of vegetarian. My sister herself was told that they had onboarded only 18 veg meals on a DEL-SIN flight she took last year, that too on a fully filled Airbus A380. Its a different matter that she is omnivorous, but someone else would have had to be "hangry".
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 20:43   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Air India Urination case – victim moves Supreme Court through a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking framing of a law on handling passenger misconduct in airplanes

News article from Bar& Bench -
https://www.barandbench.com/news/lit...ger-misconduct

Synopsis: -
Quote:
The 72-year-old victim in the Air India urination case has filed a public interest litigation (PIL) petition before the Supreme Court seeking directions to Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and Airline companies to frame regulations to deal with incidents of passenger misconduct on board aircrafts.

The petitioner also requested the Court to direct media to defer reportage on the incident since it prejudices both the victim and the accused.

The petition stated that the DGCA failed to treat the petitioner with care and responsibility after an unruly passenger urinated on her after being served excessive alcohol.

"The rights of free and fair trial have also been substantially affected due to the selective leaking of the AIR SEWA complaint by the petitioner, the FIR, selective witness statements being released to the media to match a specific narrative," the petition filed through advocate Rahul Narayan said.

The plea highlighted seven instances of passenger misconduct on board from 2014 to 2023 which was not dealt properly by the concerned airline.

The petition highlighted that on March 4, 2023 a similar incident transpired when a passenger urinated in inebriated state while on an American Airlines flight from New York to New Delhi. The flight operator informed of the same to Air Traffic Control which then alerted Central Industrial Security Force leading to the arrest of the individual upon disembarking.

The petitioner therefore asked the Court to issued the following directions:

1. Direct Centre and DGCA so that they ensure CAR norms adhere to the highest standards laid down internationally;

2. Direct DGCA and airline companies to comply with legal requirements of SoPs by airline crew and staff during such incidents;

3. Direct media to postpone reportage of the pending criminal case in relation to the incident presently.
What she is seeking is fair to both sides. DGCA has had a patchy record at best in handling misconduct cases exacerbated by rudderless staff as in the case of the Air India crew on this particular flight. It will be interesting to see where the case goes. Lousy things occur in airplane cabins often. In my memory this case is one that takes the cake. If indeed the accused is found guilty it would behoove the situation for the Court to also hand out some punishment to the leadership of the cabin crew and that Captain. The sheer ineptness with which Air India's senior management mishandled the situation in the first 4 weeks remains a cause for concern.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 12:12   #199
BHPian

Good call by the captain to return the flight back and remove the unruly passenger. Don't know if alcohol was involved. Hopefully the last few episodes results in better crew training to deal with such passengers and make flying enjoyable.

Delhi-London AI flight returns
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 18:39   #200
Senior - BHPian

Happened again, this time on American Airlines - Man held for urinating on fellow passenger on board American Airlines New York-Delhi flight

Really surprised that such incidents are happening and many in the last few months. Did such incidents happen before? Or is this a new fad?
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 20:23   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Really surprised that such incidents are happening and many in the last few months. Did such incidents happen before? Or is this a new fad?
More than six million people fly daily! Unfortunately among them are drunkards, uncouth, creeps, idiots etc...etc... So there's a miscellany of wierdos doing all sorts of stupid things when stuck in a confined space for hours. How news worthy these events are depends on a variety of factors...... especially the medium that decides what needs to be news or not!

This is nothing compared to the myriad of events that happen on western low cost carriers especially on holiday routes. Football hooligans, hen parties, drunkards etc...etc..

So to answer your questions, these incidents have been happening since commercial aviation went mainstream and will continue to occur going forward.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 11:26   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Another incident in Air-India flight!

Man defecates mid-air on Mumbai-Delhi Air India flight, arrested. The incident took place onboard flight AIC 866 on June 24th.

A man was held in Delhi for allegedly defecating and urinating on the floor of a Mumbai-Delhi Air India flight mid-air.

Ram Singh, a passenger on seat number 17F, defecated, urinated, and spat in row 9 of the aircraft, according to the FIR.

Air India's Pee-gate incident-fzmubncwcaaxkmy.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th June 2023 at 11:29.
Old 27th June 2023, 12:06   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Another incident in Air-India flight!

Man defecates mid-air on Mumbai-Delhi Air India flight, arrested. The incident took place onboard flight AIC 866 on June 24th.

Attachment 2468747
The amount of Incidents that are happening specifically with Air India, to me, it has started reeking that some competitors are playing foul to diminish the image of the airlines. It is too absurd for me to imagine that someone felt right even in the stage of inebriation that I can take a loo in front of everyone. The only motivating factor for doing so seems to be money. I could be wrong, but it scares me to travel via flights now .
udzgodfather is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 12:35   #204
Senior - BHPian

Wondering will the media start typing out 'Now, Loo Gate Incident'.

What is happening to our civilization?

EDIT - Am sure Alcohol played a part again in such incidents.

Last edited by svsantosh : 27th June 2023 at 12:37.
Old 27th June 2023, 12:55   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Wondering will the media start typing out 'Now, Loo Gate Incident'.

What is happening to our civilization?

EDIT - Am sure Alcohol played a part again in such incidents.
Air-India will continue to be under intense media scrutiny for whatever reasons. I will not be surprised if the carrier hits the headlines again if a passenger sneezes next time. How come none of Air India's daily occurrences never made headlines with such regularity under govt. ownership? The airlines was in a much bigger mess back then. The only positive out of this was a protocol is in place and the staff followed them.

Is it really difficult for Civil aviation to breathalyse people before they board the aircraft and stop drunkards from flying?
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 14:43   #206
Senior - BHPian

It is also the case that as more people get access to aviation , you will get this variety of bizarre behaviour. Surely alcohol may be a factor. I think the government should stop the sale of alcohol at the airports in India and on board airplanes on flights to and from India, period. There would be absolutely no loss of business or anything whatsoever, nor will India's tourism index go down. In any case, I think there is an excess of tourism in most of the well known places that is causing other issues. No one will miss alcohol for the duration of the flight. If they do, they have a different problem.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 27th June 2023 at 14:46.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 02:46   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

On a lighter note, perhaps Air India should start handing out adult diapers.

Kursi ki peti baandhne se purv kripya diaper bhi baandh lein, dhanyawad!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 28th June 2023 at 02:48.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 13:49   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Is it really difficult for Civil aviation to breathalyse people before they board the aircraft and stop drunkards from flying?
Last weekend I was in a Thai airline flight headed to India. There was a specific mention that - Alcohol will be served, however if the crew judge the passenger inebriated, they will not be serving alcohol to the same person again.

I have never heard this announcement in other Thai or any other international flights. Infact, I was in another 2 Thai flights which was not from/ to India in the past 10 days and haven't heard this announcement in any of the flights.

I am sure, logically in any flight in any country, the flight attended may eventually do that. We have seen enough videos / news from US with similar altercations. However, I am assuming the reason for Thai airline to come up with that announcement has to do with the general nature of us Indians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
It is also the case that as more people get access to aviation , you will get this variety of bizarre behaviour. No one will miss alcohol for the duration of the flight. If they do, they have a different problem.
I too agree to that to an extent. The issue is, its not limited to alcohol (free) from flights. If you have been to foreign airports which Indian tourists visits, you can see a trend where they purchase alcohol from duty free, have it in flight / get drunk and get in to flight.

The issue I feel is due to couple of issues in what we consider as 'social drinking' especially when booze is free.

We all have that obnoxious relative / colleague who gets drunk in marriages / office events gets loud and annoying. When in flight this person becomes the urinator, when in office outing this guy becomes the borderline sexual harasser.

I don't think this is only a case in our culture and will be there in any country you take as an example. It is just that in a confined space of airline seat, this has become a more evident issue and cannot be ignored as 'merry making' as it was done while the same was exhibited on road side / train / bus / marriage / office party.

The drunk passengers aside, I feel its the young / middle age urban male who is the biggest issue. They are the ones which break rules with impunity and still be proud and have a view of entitlement on that.

The aged travelers / first time travelers I have noticed creating scenarios difficult for the flight crew. But that I feel are genuine mistakes when we start to travel newly in aircraft combined with language barriers.
Old 3rd July 2023, 14:30   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

I have never heard this announcement in other Thai or any other international flights. Infact, I was in another 2 Thai flights which was not from/ to India in the past 10 days and haven't heard this announcement in any of the flights.

However, I am assuming the reason for Thai airline to come up with that announcement has to do with the general nature of us Indians..
Some of these reactions are indeed due to the general behavior of Indian travelers on the airlines but some of it is also due to the racist undertones of Thai Airways. I have travelled extensively from India to Australia and some of it has been with Thai Airways, mostly due to their cheaper fares but their service towards us Indians in general is degrading and insulting.

They do have a different set of benchmarks to treat us. They will not give us the same amount of alcohol that they will give to a white guy who is sitting next to you. Having faced this racism, I vowed never to travel with them again.

Last edited by Gupts007 : 3rd July 2023 at 14:33. Reason: correction
Old 4th July 2023, 12:09   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
They do have a different set of benchmarks to treat us. They will not give us the same amount of alcohol that they will give to a white guy who is sitting next to you. Having faced this racism, I vowed never to travel with them again.
Yes, agree about the differential treatment of foreign airlines, what I was mentioning above was the behavioral issue of average Indian traveler.

I personally don't think that is limited to Thai though. I have felt there is a difference in the way one is treated in flights to and fro India compared to the flight of the same airline elsewhere.

Lufthansa / Cathey / Emirates / Qatar all I will say has the same issue.

With the limited seats available and more and more travelers, this will become even worse for the traveling Indian public I feel.

One thing we can wish for is more seats from Indian air carriers, but then alas the way they treat us also is not that different.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 4th July 2023 at 12:10.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks