Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 19:22   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhatesmyguts View Post
How about a Maruti Eeco ?? I feel, it is the best option for a hospital with a limited budget (which does not want a box on wheels like an Omni).
The Maruti Eeco, with modified mid and rear ends, should be a suitable substitute for those using the Omni as an Ambulance. Its more powerful, as wide as the Versa, and much taller than the Omni. See this link for a comparo.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1670938-post86.html
Old 29th January 2010, 20:35   #47
BHPian

There are 2 tasks an ambulance must accomplish: Firstly, they need to be able to support life inside and thus come equipped with all the basics. Secondly, they must be reliable and able to zip through the traffic. We all know Indian roads are chaotic and i have seen so many ambulances getting stuck in peak Bangalore traffic. Taking this into account, the most preferred, Force Traveler is a great choice but too bulky for urban roads. So it makes sense to use them on highways. Omnis are too small to be fully equipped but can zip through traffic thanks to its size. So the answer to me lies somewhere in between. Having said that MPVs such as Innovas and Xylos can be modified as a very efficient ambulance. They are big enough to host a variety of basic equipment and small enough to zip through traffic. I guess Toyota and Mahindra should seriously think about this option. Oh yes, the Tata Winger is an excellent option as well!
Old 29th January 2010, 23:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

From my observation, dont have real numbers, Force Traveler is the mostly used Ambulance in India. Very few Tata Winger Ambulances i have seen on road.
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

Force Traveller is the probably the most used vehicle, especially the EMRI (www.emri.in) which operates in 11 states employs the vehicle as its ambulance.
Old 5th February 2010, 14:30   #50
BHPian

I remember seeing Mallya Hospital in Bangalore having an old American ambulance. Anyone know that make of that ? I think they must have scrapped it by now.
Old 5th February 2010, 14:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

Tata Sumo Grande.
Tata Winger.
Tata Venture(when launched)
Old 5th February 2010, 15:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I remember seeing Mallya Hospital in Bangalore having an old American ambulance. Anyone know that make of that ? I think they must have scrapped it by now.
Yep! It was a Chevrolet. Based on a pick-up Truck/SUV.

Not seen it in recent times! Not even sure if it was RHD!
Old 5th February 2010, 15:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

I regularly see a few Tata Winger ambulances in my area and they are very nice.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:52   #54
BHPian

Tata Winger will be a good choice as an ambulance as it is having a good space & also a good speed, as many hospitals are now replacing Tempo F307 ambulances to others.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Winger, The new EECO, Tempo Traveller (Force) would be my choices.

Cheers
Old 8th February 2010, 10:28   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Andhra Pradesh has Travellers for 108 Emergency services. They are free of cost, run by EMRI. Please look up Emergency Management and Research Institute for details.
We have the same in Goa. They are really good. In fact they have ambulances parked at various locations so that one can reach the scene of emergency in the shortest possible time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Mauri Versa. Small, decent ride and space, quick, maneuverable.
The Versa is actually better than the Eeco because of the higher roof. Even in case of the Omni, the high roof one is better for this use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
A Dodge Sprinter (or the Indian version of it) with a supercharged Corvette V8 engine powering it.
The Dodge sprinter is basically the Mercedes Sprinter sold in the US as a Dodge.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

I've seen some imported Ford ambulances in Kerala, used by Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences - they have the room and got powerful engine.

TATA Winger can be good ambulance, Force (Tempo Traveller) is also an ideal one.

Omni cannot be a good ambulance in any respects. The patient can die of fear when the driver is driving that tinny car through the streets at breakneck speeds. One hit and everyone in that ambulance have to continue their journey lying in another safer ambulance.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:39   #58
BHPian

Mercedes Ambulance

This looks like a sedan converted to an Ambulance. What a lovely job!
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal Vehicle for an Indian Ambulance?-merc-ambulance.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 11:59   #59
BHPian

Had an interesting conversation with my colleague one day, we used to handle advertising for force motors. What should an ambulance intrinsicly possess, IMHO it should good ride & handling and speed. Seconds can make a difference between life and death. Many countries have different powerplant options for ambulances. I asked if Force motors had an option of that. Everything else can be fitted. Traveller is a good vehicle in that respect. It could have the various equipment required. Only the engine for ambulance version needs to be turbocharged. Hope force is hearing.
Old 8th February 2010, 12:39   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Apollo Hospitals Madras has a fantastic equipment loaded Mercedes Traveller Bus as their VVIP ambulance.

Here in Bangalore Mallya Hospital has a brilliant looking equipment loaded Chevy or Ford Ambulance.

It is nice to see such fully loaded care equipment available here for those who need them but unfortunately it is more of an exception than a rule in the sense these kinds of ambulances get used only for those who are "more equal than others" as far as I know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks