Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 20:36   #106
Senior - BHPian

Ambulance for personal use

This is something weird. I want to know if I can buy an ambulance for my own private use. What are the legal provisions on owning and using an ambulance?

The ambulance would typically be used to carry an elderly person with basic support equipment like an oxygen cylinder and mask.

I know it could be done in a private vehicle too, but am just curious to know if an ambulance could be used as a private vehicle.

Mods, please merge this thread with a similar one if it already exists.
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:02   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ambulance for personal use

I don't think anyone would stop you from carrying out the basic mods required for an ambulance (except the beacon light and a Siren) with all the equipment.

At some time or other we have seen cases where patients are transported in private vehicles with flat seats and basic emergency medical equipment to reach the Hospital.

Also, with a private vehicle with all the medical set-up you will not be able to overrule or be exempted from all those rules which the Ambulance can escape from under genuine emergency conditions.

However, if you want to use the ambulance as a private vehicle you would still have to register the vehicle as an Ambulance representing yourself/organization/Charity as a Medical service provider and may not be as an individual.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd November 2013 at 21:31.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:09   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

@honeybee,
agree with Parag

You could get a regular Omni, and kit it up with the required equipment.
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:15   #109
BHPian

Greetings
It's a sensible thing to do if there is an elderly person who needs medical attention all the time.
We have a foundation which my grandad started on my late uncles name so we have an ambulance which provides medical intervention to 10 villages.
The vehicle in Haryana can't have a private Registeration because it's for public use usually. They have a separate series and need to go for passing every year. Now the point of an ambulance is to get a right of way in case of emergency if we want that then you'd have to create a trust or something on those lines even if it's just in paper. These vehicles are exempted from tolls not only monetarily but have seperate lanes too even at airports so it will be of use.
Id suggest you to talk to your RTO before purchasing the vehicle and making any changes .
If you'd want I can check at my RTO also .
Best regards
Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:42   #110
Senior - BHPian

An Ambulance is a vehicle used for taking hurt or sick people to the hospital especially in emergencies.

I remember that my cousin had an Ambulance in his hospital and once was caught by the cops and fined while traveling with his family in it.

One definition of Ambulance says so; Once brought the hospital to the patient—and kept the name when it reversed the process and started bringing the patients to the hospital; its original meaning was "mobile hospital following an army."

Therefore use as a people carrier may be violation of the rules.
This link throws more light on the Ambulance and its usage.

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd November 2013 at 21:50.
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:24   #111
BHPian

I have seen someone near my home who is using a bolero (probably registered as ambulance but with normal bolero seating). The white colored Bolero boasts a blue beacon and is parked at place that is nowhere near any clinic/dispensary/hospital/lab. No "plus" signs anywhere. Just stickers of "ambulance" on front and rear windshield. A little pooping revealed no medical/emergency equipment as such. The stickers on windshield are such that they can be easily removed as per convenience.
Its really sad to see the extent to which people can fall to get a VIP feel of a beacon on top of vehicle.
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:48   #112
Senior - BHPian

The purpose of this thread is definitely not to misuse an ambulance to get preferential treatment or exemption from tolls. However it does seem easier to order an 'ambulance' from a manufacturer with whatever mods required, such as a flat bed or provision for an oxygen cylinder, rails for a stretcher or wheelchair etc. And I just wanted to see if the law allowed an ambulance to be owned privately.

Assuming I have to transport an elderly person around for a few days could I hire an ambulance?
Old 23rd November 2013, 10:09   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Assuming I have to transport an elderly person around for a few days could I hire an ambulance?
Then why dont you get in touch with any of the ambulance drivers in your area ?

I understand that the real ambulance vehicles will need to be on duty with the hospitals, you can still talk to the drivers (many will be on contract with the hospitals) to see if they can help you out. If your schedule is fixed/predictable, it should be a little more easier to work out an arrangement.
Old 23rd November 2013, 13:46   #114
Senior - BHPian

The only issue is if it's a proper ambulance and if I block it for a week to be taken on a specific itinerary, for this period it will become a hired vehicle which may go against rules - need clarity on this bit.

For e.g. I hired it to go to Pune and will stay there for a day, the vehicle cannot be used as an ambulance for a needy person since I have booked it.
Old 3rd March 2015, 12:12   #115
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ideal Vehicle for an Indian Ambulance?

Quoting from the other thread to avoid OT there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Add Chevrolet
Chevrolet does not manufacture any ambulances in the country AFAIK. That is probably a Tavera converted to an ambulance. Mahindra does but haven’t spotted one on the road so far.

PS: Please upload the images to the forum's servers.
Old 3rd March 2015, 14:02   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Quoting from the other thread to avoid OT there:

Chevrolet does not manufacture any ambulances in the country AFAIK. That is probably a Tavera converted to an ambulance. Mahindra does but haven’t spotted one on the road so far.

PS: Please upload the images to the forum's servers.
Seems so.

Tavera looks to be a converted. But Chevy, AFAIK, manufactures ambulances in other countries.

Mahindra ambulances are quite a common sight on rural roads [ may be due to being tougher than the Omnis ] .

And sorry for going too much OT there.
Attached Thumbnails
Ideal Vehicle for an Indian Ambulance?-bhp.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by poised2drive : 3rd March 2015 at 14:20.
Old 3rd March 2015, 14:52   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I don't think Bolero and Scorpio qualifies to be an ambulance. I think this was bought as an SUV and then modified to an ambulance later on. Isn't that illegal ?

We need to know what the government qualifies as an ambulance vehicle.
We might skew away from the OT .

hence posting here .

And there's an option for an ambulance in Bolero .

http://www.mahindrabolero.com/mahind...ambulance.aspx
[ Please look at the images in the above post]

So that must qualify the bill.

And also a fleet of boleros have been introduced by the Govt. as ambulances in different states; AP, Mizoram
http://www.mizonews.net/mizoramnews/...ortality-rate/

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle4701627.ece

And as I already said, Mahendra vehicles have been the ambulances for many Primary Health Centers in villages [ I am sure they must be OEM or else they wouldn't qualify as ambulances for a Govt. service]

Last edited by poised2drive : 3rd March 2015 at 14:55.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 09:29   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
We might skew away from the OT .

hence posting here .

And there's an option for an ambulance in Bolero .

http://www.mahindrabolero.com/mahind...ambulance.aspx
[ Please look at the images in the above post]

So that must qualify the bill.

And also a fleet of boleros have been introduced by the Govt. as ambulances in different states; AP, Mizoram
http://www.mizonews.net/mizoramnews/...ortality-rate/

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle4701627.ece

And as I already said, Mahendra vehicles have been the ambulances for many Primary Health Centers in villages [ I am sure they must be OEM or else they wouldn't qualify as ambulances for a Govt. service]
Thanks. Never knew Mahindra made vehicles as ambulances.

So as per the new budget on the chassis tax discount, how much price difference can we expect from before and now ?
Old 4th March 2015, 17:01   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Thanks. Never knew Mahindra made vehicles as ambulances.

So as per the new budget on the chassis tax discount, how much price difference can we expect from before and now ?
Mahindra sure does manufacture ambulances. Genio based Ambulances were launched some months back. Infact, Mahindra seems to have taken the lead with the first ever BOC (Box on Chassis) ambulance !

Link

Ideal Vehicle for an Indian Ambulance?-mahindra-genio-box-chassis-ambulance-genio-customised-solutions.png

Ideal Vehicle for an Indian Ambulance?-mahindra-genio-customised-solutions-mahindra-genio-ambulance.png

As for price benefit, a 11.5% deduction in excise duty, price should come down by anywhere between 50k and 1L.
Old 4th March 2015, 17:17   #120
BHPian

Instead of cars/trucks we need to equip every hospital with helipads. With so much traffic person in ambulance will die before reaching a hospital.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks