Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:09   #2851
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
This service seems to be "designed to fail". Private operators run Volvo B9R Sleepers for around Rs. 1300~1500, when MSRTC charges Rs. 2180 per passenger! And, the last time MSRTC operated a Volvo seater service, they had earned a (mis-)reputation by entering each bus stand en-route and focusing on small distance passengers.
Which private operator runs B9R Sleeper for 1,300~1,500? I traveled by KSRTC (Mumbai-Mysore) twice in the last 3 weeks. The cost is 1,400 (online booking cost is 1,489) and it is not a sleeper bus. I assume that private operators charge around the same.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 3rd July 2013 at 16:11.
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:54   #2852

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
Although the passenger section was intact, the windshield had severe cracks all over. I asked one of the travel office guy whether it would hold till chennai. To my surprise, he answered "Saaarrr.....volvo glass is 'UNBREAKABLE' type and it will not shatter and fall"
I think the guy may have used the wrong words but the sentiment is true. The glass is not unbreakable its obviously broken in your picture. However laminated glass should not fail unless it is pierced by somthing that damages the film inside the various layers.

Its not advisable but at the slow speeds that are driven in India it can be done if your stuck with no other option assuming the breakage doesnt obsccure the drivers vision.
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:41   #2853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Which private operator runs B9R Sleeper for 1,300~1,500? I traveled by KSRTC (Mumbai-Mysore) twice in the last 3 weeks. The cost is 1,400 (online booking cost is 1,489) and it is not a sleeper bus. I assume that private operators charge around the same.
I guess we were talking of the Mumbai-Bangalore route, not the Mysore route. The fares on most of the interstate routes are directly dependent on the number of buses on the route, the average load in the route and the operating expenses (as in taxes, fuel and driver expenses).

KaSRTC is the most expensive on many routes, including Bangalore-Mumbai (Around 1300), Bangalore-Hyderabad (Around 900) and Bangalore-Chennai (Around 850 for night services, and 700 for day buses).

Most semi-sleeper buses (private ones) on the Mumbai-Bangalore route charge between 950 and 1200 for a seat, whereas Volvo Sleeper buses charge Rs. 1500~1800 (depending on day).
Old 4th July 2013, 05:41   #2854
Senior - BHPian

The ticket prices are all over the place, in Bangalore-Mumbai, the distance is 1100kms and the fare is also 1100 on an average, compare this to what KSRTC charges for its express bus service within Karnataka, that also averages 1 rupee per kilometre. The point I am trying to make is that Operators are forced to price Volvo-AC-Semi sleeper seats on par with AL/Tata-Non AC-Ordinary 2x3 seats which is shocking
Old 4th July 2013, 08:55   #2855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The ticket prices are all over the place, in Bangalore-Mumbai, the distance is 1100kms and the fare is also 1100 on an average, compare this to what KSRTC charges for its express bus service within Karnataka, that also averages 1 rupee per kilometre. The point I am trying to make is that Operators are forced to price Volvo-AC-Semi sleeper seats on par with AL/Tata-Non AC-Ordinary 2x3 seats which is shocking
Who forced operators to price it so low? The rates of private operators are solely based on their actual running cost. The taxes of Maharashtra is very low, and hence they can actually afford to charge lower.

Compare this with Bangalore-Ernakulam - a 550km journey, for which the ticket rate hovers between 950~1100 (regular operators) - because the tax for three states itself works out to around 4.5 Lakhs a quarter!

So, its not that operators are "forced" - but they keep it low because their expenses are comparitively lower.
Old 4th July 2013, 09:31   #2856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Who forced operators to price it so low? The rates of private operators are solely based on their actual running cost. The taxes of Maharashtra is very low, and hence they can actually afford to charge lower.

Compare this with Bangalore-Ernakulam - a 550km journey, for which the ticket rate hovers between 950~1100 (regular operators) - because the tax for three states itself works out to around 4.5 Lakhs a quarter!

So, its not that operators are "forced" - but they keep it low because their expenses are comparitively lower.
The 16-17 hour journey time between Mumbai-Bangalore also probably helps to maximise utilisation of the bus and a 2-driver crew. Also demand on the route is high, thanks to the significant speed advantage over trains apart from the usual ticket availability factors, probably means operators have a higher average load on the route.
Old 4th July 2013, 17:46   #2857
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
Thank god that I am alive to write this. I was traveling from Trivandrum to Chennai on 30th June and i was seated on the left window seat on 4th row. The bus started 45 mins late from Trivandrum and again halted at Nagercoil for another 30mins for filling up a few vacant seats.
Consider yourself lucky that the bus didn't topple or worse. A minor error in judgement on a fast moving large vehicle is all it takes to create a disaster. I used to prefer buses to trains during my college years but after a couple of near misses decided that it was simply not worth the risk.
Old 4th July 2013, 21:40   #2858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Consider yourself lucky that the bus didn't topple or worse. A minor error in judgement on a fast moving large vehicle is all it takes to create a disaster. I used to prefer buses to trains during my college years but after a couple of near misses decided that it was simply not worth the risk.

Yes I am extremely lucky. Hearing the loud bang and subsequent noices, a few localities came in and one of them told that an average of 50 vehicles including large trailers and buses are getting toppled in that curve. But he has never seen a bus getting back on road after an 'Expedition' into that curve. He also told that we were very very lucky and especially the passengers who were sitting on the left most window side.

I just could not imagine the consequences if it had toppled .

I too was a regular traveler in these roads during my college days. Twice a month for more than 3 years, but I never had a single incident with any of those buses which included KPN, SPS, PARVEEN on route and ASIAN and No1 through the Kerala routes. The drivers were really careful and they indeed had concerns over the safety of passengers. I still cherish that ASIAN was the regularly fastest on that route but the driving was so nice that the passengers would not even get a hint on the speeds they are traveling until they take a peek through the windows.
Old 24th July 2013, 19:25   #2859
BHPian

I have to travel between Trivandrum and Aluva shortly. The earliest I can leave is 4PM from Trivandrum, I will be travelling on a weekday (Tue /Wed/Thu)

I checked Suresh Kallada website and they have three departures available for booking between Trivandrum and Ernakulam (although none to Aluva). The 4PM Trivandrum Manipal Multi Axle looks ideal for me as it has an arrival of 9.30 PM at Vytilla and 10 PM at Aluva

Questions....

1 Can I book the ticket upto Aluva from any Kallada office ?(I don't want to risk web bookings for such a short hop) . Do they have a manual booking system for the offices or do they use the same web booking engine ???

2 If I can book only upto Ernakulam, can I do so on the day of departure (From Trivandrum Kallada office) and will it be possible for me to pay 50 or 100 Rs extra to the crew and remain in the bus upto Aluva (assuming there are people booked on the bus boarding from Aluva/Angamaly/Chalakudy?) The website allows booking from all these three points but not from Trichur

Will any other operator sell me a short distance ticket ??? I know that usually Sharma and KPN do get passengers boarding from Aluva on their Trivandrum Bangalore services .

The other option for me is KaSRTC Volvos. There is a 1605 Trivandrum Bangalore Multi Axle and a 1630 Mysore B7R (via Nilambur). Can I get a ticket on these on board the bus upto Aluva (weekday travel)?

And since I live in Aluva, yes I know Indigo evening flight at 1830 to Kochi is the most convenient but at 3500 Rs it is way beyond my means

Will be glad for any pointers.

Last edited by TKMCE : 24th July 2013 at 19:28.
Old 24th July 2013, 20:46   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
1 Can I book the ticket upto Aluva from any Kallada office ?(I don't want to risk web bookings for such a short hop) . Do they have a manual booking system for the offices or do they use the same web booking engine ???
All Kallada tickets are routed through their official booking portal only. Even agents are required to mark their tickets on the portal (24hrs in advance). So any ticket booked through the Kallada website is safe and confirmed. But a word of caution - the Manipal bus isn't very regular on working days. It'll be better to simply walk into a Kallada office in Thampanoor and ask for a ticket to EKM in the "next" bus.

Quote:
2 If I can book only upto Ernakulam, can I do so on the day of departure (From Trivandrum Kallada office) and will it be possible for me to pay 50 or 100 Rs extra to the crew and remain in the bus upto Aluva (assuming there are people booked on the bus boarding from Aluva/Angamaly/Chalakudy?) The website allows booking from all these three points but not from Trichur
Technically not allowed. There are checkpoints in Edappally toll and Aluva. (The bus will not stop there if there aren't any pick-ups) The driver is not allowed to take anybody not listed on the passenger manifest. Please go to a Kallada office and get a ticket from them clearly mentioning Aluva as your end-point.

Quote:
Will any other operator sell me a short distance ticket ??? I know that usually Sharma and KPN do get passengers boarding from Aluva on their Trivandrum Bangalore services .
No. None of them officially allow short distance passengers - but you always can pay the driver and get in. But all these buses would stop for dinner, and it adds up to the travel time. KPN doesn't have a Trivandrum-Bangalore service via Alappuzha.

Quote:
The other option for me is KaSRTC Volvos. There is a 1605 Trivandrum Bangalore Multi Axle and a 1630 Mysore B7R (via Nilambur). Can I get a ticket on these on board the bus upto Aluva (weekday travel)?
Yes. You can book through the website on the day of travel, or simply go to the bus station, pay the ticket price to the conductor and get in to the bus.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 23:24   #2861
BHPian

Thanks Binai

I guess my best bet is the 1605 Trivandrum Bangalore KaSRTC Airavath as they stop for dinner only at Angamaly and doesn't go inside Ernakulam town so should reach Aluva by 2130. Else will try the 1645 Trivandrum Bangalore service of S Kallada which should reach Aluva by 11 PM latest. Does Kallada services start from Music College or is it Thampanoor itself??

KPN had a long running Bangalore Trivandrum Volvo via Ernakulam and I took it even one year back (all the other Trivandrum services are via Tirunelveli) but now I see they terminate the bus at Kollam but the routing is via Ernakulam Alleppy.
Old 25th July 2013, 17:47   #2862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess my best bet is the 1605 Trivandrum Bangalore KaSRTC Airavath as they stop for dinner only at Angamaly and doesn't go inside Ernakulam town so should reach Aluva by 2130. Else will try the 1645 Trivandrum Bangalore service of S Kallada which should reach Aluva by 11 PM latest. Does Kallada services start from Music College or is it Thampanoor itself??
All S Kallada services start from outside Music College. Other Bangalore buses (except those via Nagercoil) start from Aristo Jn area.

Airavat Club Class would be a good option for you, since their dinner break is only at Hotel Jubilee, after Ankamaly. S Kallada 1645 TVM-BLR bus stops for dinner near Alappuzha - so it will delay your arrival (it passes Vyttila only around 10pm). If you become free earlier, there is the KeSRTC Garuda at 1515hrs.
Old 25th July 2013, 19:24   #2863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to travel between Trivandrum and Aluva shortly. The earliest I can leave is 4PM from Trivandrum, I will be travelling on a weekday (Tue /Wed/Thu)
Any reason why you are not considering a train? I guess the Jan Shatabdi is too early for you, but the evening commuter trains from TVC to ERS (Vanchinad, Guruvayur intercity etc.) ought to be fine?
Old 25th July 2013, 23:28   #2864
BHPian

Train is not a bad option now thanks to the Guruvayur Intercity which takes only 4 hours 40 min but I doubt I will get last minute AC Chair Car tickets as I will be able to book only the day before. But this train is the best option for an early morning departure from Aluva to Trivandrum as well as it leaves Aluva at 5 AM. One of the extensions which Railways did which has benefitted a lot of people as earlier before the extension there was a connection KeSRTC bus from Parur to Ernakulam via Alwaye which used to leave Parur at 4 AM. Now people can connect with this train at Aluva itself and I believe there is a similar connection bus to Parur after the train reaches Alwaye at 10 in the night

Vanchinad is ruled out as I don't want a uncomfortable late night local bus ride between Ernakulam and Aluva and it reaches at 2220 by which time almost all private buses would have stopped running .
Old 26th July 2013, 23:03   #2865
BHPian

Chalakudi- Sholayar-Valparai/Pollachi buses

Need some info on bus services on what I have heard is one of the most scenic routes in Kerala.

For a long long time I had been planning to make a trip using public transport on the road beyond Athirapally/Vazhachal which I believe goes through Sholayar and continues to Valparai and Pollachi. Planning to do the trip if possible on my upcoming short vacation back home as it will be a nice change from my current long and short distance commuting by Boats

From Aluva I plan to do Chalakkudi-Pollachi (via Sholayar) then from Pollachi to Trichur (I believe there is a direct route without touching either Coimbatore or Palakkad) and back home to Aluva. Main intention is doing the Chalakudi Valparai trip and am not planning to break journey at Valparai and hence am prepared for a very long day trip.

1 Any one aware of the early morning bus timing from Chalakudi to Valparai? Is this a KeSRTC one or a private and if a private one where does it start from in Chalakudi??? Also what is the journey time??? I believe there are lot of buses from Valparai to Pollachi with a frequency of every 30 minutes??

2 Assuming that I reach Pollachi bus stand by around 6 PM are there late evening buses from Pollachi to Trichur/Ernakulam??? I understand these buses go via Nenmara/Wadakkanchery?? How long is the journey time from Pollachi to Trichur????

Any help, advice will be appreciated. If the weather stays stable I plan to make the trip this time round and worst comes to worst will try my luck at Chalakkudi reaching there before 6 AM as to the best of my knowledge there is an early morning bus on the forest route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks