Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2013, 08:09   #2896
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Thanks for the info.

The lower mileage I think was to be expected considering the 10.8L capacity of the D11A engine compared to the D9B's 9.4L. I think using the 380hp variant of the D9B engine may have proved a better choice.

I am sure Volvo will quickly get on top of the suspension issue.
The model has already earned the name of being a "failure" among operators. Now Volvo has to do something really great to get the product back on track. Kesineni had placed the largest order for B11Rs - and they have reportedly backed off now due to the higher % of failure in the existing fleet of B11Rs.

I think a total of 50 might have been sold till date - the operators I know are:
1. Kallada - 4
2. Kesineni - 18
3. SRS - 3
4. Sharma - 2
5. SVR - 6 (or 8?)
6. Sahajanand - 2

There might be more - I am not sure.
Old 20th August 2013, 10:43   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I remember this practice was followed 12 years ago when I use to travel between Bangalore and Kerala in Push back private operator buses. The helper use to come with a chart clipped on to a card board and ask every one to enter the name and details.
Not just between Bangalore and Kerala, but all over the south and from much earlier as well. I think it had to do with the fact that these buses were run as "contract carriage" operations and the passengers were puchasing a a "tour" from the operator. The list of people undertaking the "tour" had to be provided to the authorities.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:39   #2898
Senior - BHPian

Happened to read a news article in The Hindu that mentioned a private bus being fined Rs.1,24,000 for driving above the speed limit between Cherthala and Mannuthy. The report also mentions that the bus was caught speeding at 150kmph in one of the speed-cams. Makes me wonder which bus and where it could be moving at that speed.

Volvos and Mercs max out at 120kmph, AFAIK. Does it mean the speed cams have an error of 30kmph?
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:13   #2899
Senior - BHPian

Made a trip by the SRM Chennai - Tirunelveli Ishift Multi Day service from Chennai to Madurai on Monday (19th August). Left Perungalathur at 10:30 AM to reach Madurai at 4:30 PM with a 20 minute lunch break. Sedate driving with a max speed attained of 110 kmph no hard breaking, only issue was regular use of horn which was understandable since it was day time.

The bus did not go inside Trichy and had about 15 passengers to Madurai & beyond which was good for a Monday morning service.

Very recommended.

Strangely most of the buses were full for the return from Madurai the same night. Finally managed to get a ticket in the 9 PM A/c sleeper of KPN. Left Periyar Bus stand at 9:15 PM and got dropped at Pallavaram at 5:15 AM with their regular break at Ulundurpet. Was driven by a single driver with no harsh braking. The engine noise was quite high, being in one of the front berths it was a disturbing factor for sleep.
Old 23rd August 2013, 17:23   #2900
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a trip to Coimbatore from Chennai. Please suggest which operator would be best in terms of safe driving and punctuality.

I would prefer to experience the multi-axle buses

I searched through this thread, and am not able to decide...though ABT-X and SRM seem likely choices.

Thanks !

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 23rd August 2013 at 17:26.
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:13   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Happened to read a news article in The Hindu that mentioned a private bus being fined Rs.1,24,000 for driving above the speed limit between Cherthala and Mannuthy. The report also mentions that the bus was caught speeding at 150kmph in one of the speed-cams. Makes me wonder which bus and where it could be moving at that speed.

Volvos and Mercs max out at 120kmph, AFAIK. Does it mean the speed cams have an error of 30kmph?
It can be a volvo multi. I once observed an SVR Shirdi-HYD service(I was travelling in it) touch 140 in my phone GPS. I guess it is only the speedo and not the bus that is limited.
Old 24th August 2013, 10:08   #2902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I searched through this thread, and am not able to decide...though ABT-X and SRM seem likely choices.
ABT-X doesn't operate multi-axle buses on that route, while the ones operated by SRM are quite old and ill-maintained. In fact, on that route, the only fairly good operators are Parveen and KPN. Both offer day and night services with Volvo multi-axles.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 10:15   #2903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I am planning a trip to Coimbatore from Chennai. Please suggest which operator would be best in terms of safe driving and punctuality.

I would prefer to experience the multi-axle buses

Thanks !
KPN has a Volvo multi sleeper while NJK has a Merc Multi Sleeper in this route. Both these buses are less than a year old.

Both KPN and Parveen have fairly new semi sleeper buses. Go for the "Go Green" multi from Parveen which is a newer vehicle while KPN semi sleeper is also not very old. You could choose one of these 4 options.

SRM runs Old multi in this route, when I last saw a couple of months back. I doubt if it has been changed now.

Edit: I was just seeing Redbus. For a weekday Hindustan travels is showing Rs.400/- for Volvo multi axle and Rs.430/- for a AC sleeper. If it is true it is seriously cheap, Non A/c KPN rates are Rs.650/-

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 24th August 2013 at 10:19. Reason: Information Added
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 00:38   #2904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
...In fact, on that route, the only fairly good operators are Parveen and KPN. Both offer day and night services with Volvo multi-axles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
...Both KPN and Parveen have fairly new semi sleeper buses. Go for the "Go Green" multi from Parveen which is a newer vehicle .....
Thanks for the info, guys

Done the booking on Parveen...onward in a Volvo multi....and return in an MB multi .

Will update once the trip is done....really looking forward to it....will be an inter-city bus journey for me after a long time now. Really excited !!!

PS : ~ Rs 1,400/- for CHN-CBE-CHN.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 27th August 2013 at 00:40.
Old 27th August 2013, 13:30   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Just read that a Bangalore-Trivandrum bus met with an accident near Tiruppur today early morning, killing 3 including driver.
Link to the news here: http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...?homepage=true

This link in Malayalam: http://www.manoramanews.com/cgi-bin/...RIAL&BV_ID=@@@

Any idea which operator it was? The bus was said to be travelling at high speed when it lost control, as per reports. Perhaps running late and over-speeding to make up time?
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 13:41   #2906
Senior - BHPian

^^ Report says it happened at 1.30 AM. Possibility of the driver dozing off momentarily can't be ruled out.
Old 27th August 2013, 14:19   #2907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Any idea which operator it was? The bus was said to be travelling at high speed when it lost control, as per reports. Perhaps running late and over-speeding to make up time?
Some newspapers are reporting the operator is Kallada. See the link.

http://www.mangalam.com/latest-news/88389
Old 28th August 2013, 02:45   #2908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Some newspapers are reporting the operator is Kallada. See the link.

http://www.mangalam.com/latest-news/88389

Below link has the photo of the bus and it looks like Kallada .

http://www.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bi...DITORIAL&BV_ID=@@@

May their souls rest in peace !
Old 28th August 2013, 05:46   #2909
Senior - BHPian

Very sad news, in the rear engine busses, its the passengers in the first few rows who take the brunt, and more often than not, the youngsters in the first row are auto enthusiasts like us

There is a serious flaw in rear engine bus design, its best suited to expressway use since in the event of a head on collision there is no crumple zone, and the passengers are the crumple zone. The damage is actually less since the building was not moving! if it was another vehicle coming at it, then the damage would have been much more
Old 28th August 2013, 09:00   #2910
BHPian

The bus is a kallada G4 which was involved in the accident at Tirupur

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks