Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 10:00   #3001
BHPian

Re: How much Kms can Volvo / AL Do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The chennai volvo MTCs are the ATs by the way, intended for city use, but for reasons unknown, MTC decides to use them for inter city travel.

I have used this service to pondy once.
Chennai-Pondy services are operated by TNSTC-Villupuram. MTC transferred their old 30 8400s to TNSTC after getting 100 8400s through JNNURM. They also operate Chennai-Trichy, Chennai-Cuddalore, Chennai-Vellore, Chennai-Tirupathur, Chennai-Kanchipuram with these old 8400s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
While I was in Chennai last time I happened to take 500B from Tambaram to Chennai Central at 10:15 PM, I don't no the count on odometer but looked like the vehicle from first lot of 8400 to MTC. Entire stretch of Mount road was uneven due to Chennai Metro work and free from traffic all along from Tambaram; the driver was doing around 60 and every bump on the road gave a massive hit on the suspension mount / chassis. On top of everything driver didn't even bothered to slowdown and save the 80 lakh asset. Compared to BMTC they are very poorly maintained and felt like interior / exterior was not cleaned for weeks together
As i mentioned in the above quote, MTC didnt have any first generation 8400s. All of them they have are purchased under JNNURM. They are less than 5 years old. Maintenance of these Volvos went bad to worse. That too the recent livery is worst among everything.
Old 1st October 2013, 21:00   #3002
BANNED

Re: How much Kms can Volvo / AL Do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
the driver was doing around 60 and every bump on the road gave a massive hit on the suspension mount / chassis.
Another NEWS,All the VOLVOs speeds are limited to 70 km/hr some two months back due to two accidents(in which passengers died) which happened in chennai pondy route

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
Chennai-Pondy services are operated by TNSTC-Villupuram.They also operate Chennai-Trichy, Chennai-Cuddalore, Chennai-Vellore, Chennai-Tirupathur, Chennai-Kanchipuram with these old 8400s.
I know this

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhandapanik View Post
MTC transferred their old 30 8400s to TNSTC after getting 100 8400s through JNNURM.
I didnt know this
Old 2nd October 2013, 16:35   #3003
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The chennai volvo MTCs are the ATs by the way, intended for city use, but for reasons unknown, MTC decides to use them for inter city travel.

I have used this service to pondy once.
I noticed the other day that there are new MTC Volvos plying around with the old ones! At first i thought they had repainted an old coach! But, when i overtook it i found that it had the new age Headlamps!

Yes, there are 4 long distance services if i'm right!

*Pondicherry via ECR
*Vellore via NH4
*Hosur via NH4
*Trichy via NH45
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 17:31   #3004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
...But, when i overtook it i found that it had the new age Headlamps!..
They are also old only. There are no new purchase post JNnurm
Old 5th October 2013, 00:51   #3005
BHPian

Re: B'lore - Tirupati - B'lore: Bus packages?

A friend's family(2 adults + 2 kids) wants to visit Tirupati on a bus package trip from B'lore. Which would be best package trip service from B'lore?

Please advise.
Old 5th October 2013, 06:20   #3006
BHPian

AP Tourism is generally good. I took a Shirdi package from Hyderabad and had no complaints. They operate Tirupati packages from Bangalore.

Cost as per website is 1790 (adult)/1440 (Child) for Volvo coach and is from 7.30 PM to 5 PM .

Please note the website is aptdc.gov.in.

Karnataka Tourism also has a similar package at similar costs.

As far as private operators are concerned, one of my friends recently took Greenline which was okay. They are I understand a large operator. but the risk with private operators are that there is always a chance that in periods of slack demand they may combine their operations with the result that the one with whom you may have booked many not be the one with whom you end up with.
TKMCE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 08:36   #3007
Senior - BHPian

There are frequent cancellation of trips due to Telungana issues. Kindly check before booking
Old 7th October 2013, 11:30   #3008
Senior - BHPian

Bus Services between Hyderabad and Bangalore

What is the status of Bus services between Hyderabad and Bangalore? A friend and family has planned a Bangalore visit during the Diwali weekend, and they are unable to find tickets in the trains.

Maybe OT here, in case they decide to drive down, is there any alternate route that avoids the problematic areas?
Old 7th October 2013, 15:27   #3009
BHPian

Bangalore-Angamaly (for Koothatukulam) Sree Krishna Travels multi-axle Volvo

Am travelling from Bangalore to Koothatukulam with my elderly parents on Fri night. Booked yesterday, bus tics were hard to get. I wanted KSRTC Volvo, but none available. Eventually I got tics at redbus for overnight Sree Krishna Volvo multi-axle, pickup at 8.45pm at Madiwala. Any idea about this bus, or Sree Krishna travels in general?

This bus goes to Ernakulam, so I booked till Angamaly, which I expect will reach around Sat 5am. From there I plan to take a car to Koothatukulam. Any idea if I will find taxis in Angamaly at 5am (specifically near K. G. Hospital in Angamaly, which is the drop-off point IIRC)? How much should taxi cost till Koothatukulam?
Old 7th October 2013, 19:52   #3010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar
....Sree Krishna Volvo multi-axle, pickup at 8.45pm at Madiwala. Any idea about this bus, or Sree Krishna travels in general?

This bus goes to Ernakulam, so I booked till Angamaly, which I expect will reach around Sat 5am. From there I plan to take a car to Koothatukulam. Any idea if I will find taxis in Angamaly at 5am (specifically near K. G. Hospital in Angamaly, which is the drop-off point IIRC)? How much should taxi cost till Koothatukulam?
I think "Sree Krishna" is some agent as I never found any bus in that name.

Angamaly to Koothattukulam by taxi could cost you very high. You may try KeSRTC or wait in front of KSRTC bus stand for some time and most likely you will get an interstate bus via MC road with empty seats.
Old 7th October 2013, 20:37   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
What is the status of Bus services between Hyderabad and Bangalore? A friend and family has planned a Bangalore visit during the Diwali weekend, and they are unable to find tickets in the trains.

Maybe OT here, in case they decide to drive down, is there any alternate route that avoids the problematic areas?
If they are driving down, them the best route would be Bangalore-Tumkur-Sira-Hiriyur-Challekere-Bellary-Siruguppa-Sindhanur-Manvi-Raichur-Mahboob Nagar-Jedcherla-Hydetabad. That way they will be driving straight from Karnataka to Telengana, they would not have to pass Rayalseema nor Seema Andhra
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 09:19   #3012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Am travelling from Bangalore to Koothatukulam with my elderly parents on Fri night. Booked yesterday, bus tics were hard to get. I wanted KSRTC Volvo, but none available. Eventually I got tics at redbus for overnight Sree Krishna Volvo multi-axle, pickup at 8.45pm at Madiwala. Any idea about this bus, or Sree Krishna travels in general?
Its a brand new bus - delivered just yesterday. The bus is owned by SLS Tourist. Sree Krishna Travels is a travel agent based in Ganga Nagar - he used to operate special services during weekends for the past three months on so - quite good at time-keeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Getting a taxi shouldn't be an issue there - this is a Taxi Stand at that junction, IIRC. The running rate is around 10~12/km in Kerala now. (They charge for "running" kms - that includes the return empty trip as well)
Old 8th October 2013, 20:32   #3013
BANNED

Guys, anther small review from my side.

I chose this travels bot the ways to see the overall feel and so that I can compare it with Kesineni Travels and VRL (this is scarce in this route)

Hyderabad to Chennai - Orange Tours & Travels - 29.09.13 (DOJ)

Boarding Point: Suchitra 'X' Roads at 18:00

Type of vehicle: Eicher (that's all that I remember)

Dropping Point: Koyembedu

The main bus (Volvo 9400 multi-axle - AP 28 TA 8459) was at Gachibowli being the outskirts and the last boarding point before departure for Chennai via the Outer Ring Road. The pick-up van took the most longest and traffic infested route via the city centre and reached the last stop at 20:00. The bus started for Chennai at 20:30, smooth and looked very well maintained with reddish-maroon interiors. A LDPE wrapped blanket + water bottle + biscuit packet was given to all passengers. At 22:00, the bus stopped for the dinner break at Jedcherla having a halt time of 45 minutes. At 22:45 the bus started again and for the first time I slept in a bus journey as the ride was smooth and silent. No honking and fast driving, very controlled and trained. Hats off.

Got up at 07:00 and we were still 90 kms away from Chennai. The bus reached the city at 08:10 and the reached Koyembedu at 08:40 where all the passengers got down.

The bus had done 6 lakh kms at the end of the journey.

Chennai to Hyderabad - Orange Tours & Travels - 02.10.13 (DOJ)

Boarding Point: Koyembedu at 20:00

Type of vehicle: Volvo 9400 Multi-Axle (AP 28 TA 8459)

Dropping Point: Suchitra 'X' Roads.

The bus reached the Koyembedu boarding point which is the Indian Oil petrol pump at 19:40. I was allowed to sit inside once it parked itself for filling diesel. A total of 150 L (Rs 8430) of diesel was filled and mind you it was so pitiable to see the pump attendant hold the pipe for that long. During this while the driver was busy on the mobile calling the passengers who booked the ticket but not turned up on time. Finally at 20:45 the bus departed for Hyderabad (45 minutes late - thanks to a passenger ). Since it was the same bus that took me from Hyderabad to Chennai the feel was the same and movie also was the same that was played (Do these operators get paid to play the same movie for years together?).

Now going OT:

1) One thing that annoys me is the issue that at Koyembedu the bus reaches the petrol pump at 19:40 and it departed from there at 20:45 which is 1 hr 05 minutes and the engine was at idle with the A/C ON (24 degree C being maintained). I feel this is very wrong as they are wasting precious fuel by idling for such long. Is there a need for this and to please the passenger with comfort? Can't they switch the engine off and wait?! It is hard for me to digest this.

And being a petrol pump, it had two big boards sporting "NO MOBILE PHONES" and what I see is that all the people in that pump are busy on their smartphones and busy talking. What is point of the board?

2) Is 6 L kms for a bus good enough for being called old or not? The Kesineni buses that I have travelled are 10L+ kms on the odometer.

3) Bus fare: Onward journey price Rs. 1350 and return journey it is Rs. 950. I want to understand why operators do this? I have seen only Orange do this frequently. Kesineni keeps the rates same whatever the day is. I can comment here as these are the only two operators I choose.

4) Ideal seat for best experience: The onward journey I chose for H3 which is I guess on the left side of the rear axle (driven) and the return journey I chose B4 which is on the left front wheel. I liked the B4 as the bus felt planted and nice. But the H4 seat was having heavy vertical movement during acceleration and deceleration and was disturbing me till I eventually slept. What's your opinion guys?

Cheers,
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th October 2013 at 20:37.
Old 9th October 2013, 00:21   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
One thing that annoys me is the issue that at Koyembedu the bus reaches the petrol pump at 19:40 and it departed from there at 20:45 which is 1 hr 05 minutes and the engine was at idle with the A/C ON (24 degree C being maintained). I feel this is very wrong as they are wasting precious fuel by idling for such long. Is there a need for this and to please the passenger with comfort? Can't they switch the engine off and wait?! It is hard for me to digest this.
I had managed to travel in one of the first Volvo B7Rs run by a state transport corporation. It was a first gen B7R of KSRTC, from Thiruvananthapuram to Palakkad. The bus stopped for a 45min break at a KTDC hotel in Alappuzha, apart from another 45min idling inside the origin depot. Once the engine came to life, it was shut down only when the bus went to the parking area inside the destination depot. That service was a prestigious one, and passengers comfort was given a high priority. Orange does the same - provide maximum comfort to the passenger. Coming from commuter cars, we find it difficult to digest, but for the operator, having a goodwill and in turn being able to charge a premium on that account is more important.

Quote:
And being a petrol pump, it had two big boards sporting "NO MOBILE PHONES" and what I see is that all the people in that pump are busy on their smartphones and busy talking. What is point of the board?
Glad that you didn't find somebody smoking a beedi or ciggy in the vicinity. Call it ignorance or arrogance, you'll find it everywhere

Quote:
Bus fare: Onward journey price Rs. 1350 and return journey it is Rs. 950. I want to understand why operators do this? I have seen only Orange do this frequently. Kesineni keeps the rates same whatever the day is. I can comment here as these are the only two operators I choose.
They are following the same differential pricing strategy adopted by airlines. Sooner or later, it will become the norm.

Quote:
Ideal seat for best experience:
I prefer the 4th or 5th row from the front, if I want to doze off peacefully. Reasons - less engine noise, no glare from the headlights, and above all a rather planted ride.

Last edited by silversteed : 9th October 2013 at 00:22.
Old 9th October 2013, 00:31   #3015
BANNED

Quote:
Coming from commuter cars, we find it difficult to digest, but for the operator, having a goodwill and in turn being able to charge a premium on that account is more important.
When the bus was stopped for dinner brakes at both the places for around 45 minutes each side the engine was ON with A/C. I hate this but nothing much that I do other than ignoring.

I will agree partially for creature comfort but if the creatures are not in the bus during the dinner breaks why keep the damn engine running?! As much as I can remember only 4-5 were seated inside during the breaks. Had the driver called them out he could switch the engine OFF.

Quote:
Glad that you didn't find somebody smoking a beedi or ciggy in the vicinity. Call it ignorance or arrogance, you'll find it everywhere
I found three guys in a Auto on the left hand side corner of the pump smoking a cigarette. When I went up to him and asked why is he smoking in a petrol pump, he says he is bored.

Quote:
They are following the same differential pricing strategy adopted by airlines. Sooner or later, it will become the norm.

Quote:
I prefer the 4th or 5th row from the front, if I want to doze off peacefully. Reasons - less engine noise, no glare from the headlights, and above all a rather planted ride.
The cabin is 80% silent and I am an Engine sound lover so I connect with the driver's mind sitting in my seat and feel as I am driving the bus. I don't know when I will leave this habit but I enjoy doing it.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks