Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 23:38   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

@BackSeatDriver: Do you by any chance run a travels or own a fleet of buses. You are very knowledgeable when it comes to CVs.

Those were valueable inputs. By the way would you explain a bit more on the load gear?
Old 18th January 2010, 04:13   #47

One fantiastic thread this !, the jarring news though is the average (3.5-3.75 kmpl) ...painfull.suddenly my scorps kmpl is comforting . all the best !
Old 18th January 2010, 10:20   #48
santoshnair

hey grt pics just one query is there a reason why some AL buses still have the old gear the rod shaping out rather than some of the buses i hv seen which is very similar to a Car where the gear handle juts out of the engine with a nice gear cover and very smooth to handle....can some one explain ...just out of curiosity?

Old 18th January 2010, 10:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
hey grt pics just one query is there a reason why some AL buses still have the old gear the rod shaping out rather than some of the buses i hv seen which is very similar to a Car where the gear handle juts out of the engine with a nice gear cover and very smooth to handle....can some one explain ...just out of curiosity?
The smaller gear lever and air filter inside the cabin on the left side was first introduced by Tatas in the 90s. This was to improve ergonomics. ALL took another 7-8 years to come up with a smaller gear lever and single clutch in their buses.
Now that Raj has bought a bus let me share this. The first single clutch, short lever ALL tourist bus in Alleppey is owned by an Operator named Sky Arch Travels in Ambalapuzha. He has a 48 seater pushback 3x2(usually rare config).
And Ashley .... Do not forget the venerable Sindu Travels, Sky Arch and Deepa(in cherthala). Another bunch who swears by ALL buses.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:52   #50
BANNED

Congrats on your new 6 wheeler.
More pictures of the finished bus plus the interiors
Old 18th January 2010, 14:54   #51
BHPian

Great

Really nice write up and great to learn the cycle from factory out chassis + engine to a cool bus. More pictures would be great
Old 18th January 2010, 21:02   #52
BHPian

Nice thread. Always had a liking for heavy machinery. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
By the way would you explain a bit more on the load gear?
Load gear is actually the "crawler gear". Buses and trucks from Tata and AL usually have 5 forward gears, out of which the 1st gear has a ratio of 7.xx and the second gear usually has a ration of 3.xx. In 80% or maybe more of situations, the second gear is sufficient to move the vehicle from a standstill. So, even though in the User Manual, it's noted as second gear, drivers call it the "first gear".
The actual first gear is called "load gear" because it is used only when negotiating a steep incline with heavy load. Usually, the reverse gear has a little lesser ration than the crawler.
Old 18th January 2010, 22:10   #53
BHPian

Its monday and i hope you got the delivery of the big boy.
Old 18th January 2010, 22:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

guys, right now i am browsing from my phone and its close to impossible to upload pics.

@ shankarbn: yea, even i am waiting to drive the beast!
@ backseatdriver: we dint go for the 130 bhp model since we are not planning for AC nor long distance trips.
@ santoshnair: the 130 bhp model in AL has car like gear lever and a better instrument console.
Old 19th January 2010, 00:45   #55
BHPian

Congratulations on ur new Babies. Waiting for the pics of the finished bus.
Old 19th January 2010, 06:35   #56
SMK
BHPian

I had a look on the thread title twice to make sure i read it correct

Congratulations on the new 12 wheels or should i say 14? All the best for your new "Aishwarya Travels". Personally i had bitter experience when we had a fleet of 4 of the 10 wheelers used for mining. So sold off all of them for the peace of mind after 3 years of ownership and a total loss of sleep.

OT: Do we see Team BHP stickers on your busses? It would be unique on the "Pics of Team - BHP stickers" thread.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

@ cadaver: thanks buddy.

@ smk: T-BHP stickers! LOL! then T-BHPians in kerela would honk or flash lights at our confused us driver!
Old 19th January 2010, 18:27   #58
BHPian

Wow an amazing ownership thread. So if we need a bus for some trips in Ernakulam or Alleppey, we call you. Expecting some good discounts for being fellow tbhpians.
Old 19th January 2010, 19:48   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Wow an amazing ownership thread. So if we need a bus for some trips in Ernakulam or Alleppey, we call you. Expecting some good discounts for being fellow tbhpians.
Aaha basil saahb I thought you will give him advance money even before starting on your tour and extra tip for being a team-bhpian Man, this is one of its kind I guess. A fellow says he is buying a bus and another one pops up and gives him loads of quality advices! I don't know where else can we find such a forum. Three cheers to the spirit of my favourite team
Old 19th January 2010, 21:34   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
@BackSeatDriver: Do you by any chance run a travels or own a fleet of buses. You are very knowledgeable when it comes to CVs.
We used to own several. Last one was sold in 1986. Or some time around that; just as the new Motor Vehicle Act came into force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
This is basically a lever mechanism. The gear box is directly behind the engine, and anybody can fabricate the required lever mechanism to fit the geat bos anywhere you want it. On several KeSRTC buses, I have seen that though the lever came on the side originally, due to maintenance and probably, reliability issues, they moved back to the lever in the center way of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
The smaller gear lever and air filter inside the cabin on the left side was first introduced by Tatas in the 90s. This was to improve ergonomics. ALL took another 7-8 years to come up with a smaller gear lever and single clutch in their buses.
Bull. Apologies for being rude, but this is bull.

The Fargo bus we sold i 1978/79 had gear lever over the engine bonnet, and air filter outside, in the passenger area.

Those were the days of anti-innovation aka licence - permit raj, and the manufacturers could sell whatever their factories crapped.

Quote:
Do not forget the venerable Sindu Travels, Sky Arch and Deepa(in cherthala). Another bunch who swears by ALL buses.
I am just back from a trip to Purakkad and I saw at least one "sindu" bus which was not AL. Err.. emmm.. I did not really notice, but they did not look like AL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The actual first gear is called "load gear" because it is used only when negotiating a steep incline with heavy load.
The truckers frequently use this gear while moving from standing still on plain roads too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks