Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 12:45   #166
Senior - BHPian

@raj_5004 - Congratulations & I cannot thank you enough for sharing the wealth of information on the buses. With my very little knowledge on buses (and hoping to improve a lot), I've some questions for you (as of now ).

1. I'm under the impression that the taxes for KSRTC buses are paid on per seat basis. So if I see PC53 LUG 243, then I understand that the bus has a capacity of 53 passengers & carrying luggage capacity of 243 Kgs & hence the tax is paid for 53 seats in the bus. However we see that KSRTC carries more than 53 people (forget about the luggage now) with several people standing. Does that come under law violation?

2. I'm under the impression that Hino engines were collaborated with Ashok Leyland to produce more effecient engines that are powerful & consume less fuel. Can you throw some light on this collaboration & this Hino engines (does it exist at all?)

3. Why do the drivers usually start off with the second gear? Why don't they move the bus with the first gear/load gear?

4. Why do the Ashok Leyland & Tata buses have a high seating position still for the drivers when compared to the Volvo's/Benz's low seating position?

5. Can a Pete's box fitted on a bus?

Last edited by aargee : 15th February 2010 at 12:49. Reason: Add more contents
Old 15th February 2010, 14:09   #167
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
1. I'm under the impression that the taxes for KSRTC buses are paid on per seat basis. So if I see PC53 LUG 243, then I understand that the bus has a capacity of 53 passengers & carrying luggage capacity of 243 Kgs & hence the tax is paid for 53 seats in the bus. However we see that KSRTC carries more than 53 people (forget about the luggage now) with several people standing. Does that come under law violation?
Depending on nature of the permit, the number of persons allowed sit / stand varies. (city and moffusil permit). The rate of taxes for seated and standing passengers too is different.

Carrying passengers in excess of that is illegal.

In Malabar region, I have noticed a grave malpractice - the owners fit additional seats, especially on long distance buses. This because passengers would not enter a bus unless they can travel seated.

OTOH, In city services, seats are actually removed, so that more standing passengers can be accommodated. Both, and carrying excess passengers is illegal.

As an aside, it is also illegal to conduct service without a spare tyre or a first aid kit. None of STUs will carry these.

Quote:
2. I'm under the impression that Hino engines were collaborated with Ashok Leyland to produce more effecient engines that are powerful & consume less fuel. Can you throw some light on this collaboration & this Hino engines (does it exist at all?)
Yes - buses hitting the road in late 1980s and early 1990s came with Hino engines and synchromesh gearboxes.

Quote:
3. Why do the drivers usually start off with the second gear? Why don't they move the bus with the first gear/load gear?
Already answered in earlier pages of this thread.

Quote:
4. Why do the Ashok Leyland & Tata buses have a high seating position still for the drivers when compared to the Volvo's/Benz's low seating position?
Because AL and Tata buses have front engines. If the driver's seat is lowered, his left ear will be too close to the engine and either his ear will get burnt, or he will go deaf in that ear.

!!!!

Seriously, is the seating positing on AL and Tata rear engine buses higher than those in Merc-Benz / Volvos?

Quote:
5. Can a Pete's box fitted on a bus?
HAHAHA. GIven the right resources, what is impossible?
Old 15th February 2010, 16:35   #168
Senior - BHPian

Raj, congratulations on your new commercial buses, looks nice after complete finish.Wish your business more success and growth.Do maintain well your vehicles which usually many travel agencies fail to do so.
Old 15th February 2010, 16:36   #169
Senior - BHPian

thanks a lot to all those who have helped me in the hub heating issue. spoke to one of the officials in AL & he spoke to one of the guys in TVS (A.S.S of AL) in kotayyam.

they said they will rectify the issue free of cost. the bus will be delivered tomorrow afternoon.

@ aargee: thanks a lot friend. i hope all your queries have been answered.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:08   #170
santoshnair

some pics i got hold of when travelling back from shirdi AL sleeper ac coaches i guess 12 mtr viking ones
Attached Thumbnails
6 Cyl. Turbo + 410 Nm Torque + 7 Wheels = ? EDIT: Pics on page 7!-img00163201002161535.jpg  

6 Cyl. Turbo + 410 Nm Torque + 7 Wheels = ? EDIT: Pics on page 7!-img00162201002161534.jpg  

6 Cyl. Turbo + 410 Nm Torque + 7 Wheels = ? EDIT: Pics on page 7!-img00161201002161534.jpg  

6 Cyl. Turbo + 410 Nm Torque + 7 Wheels = ? EDIT: Pics on page 7!-img00164201002161536.jpg  

Old 19th February 2010, 11:08   #171
BANNED

Santhosh, I think the pics are better posted in the buses thread. The second pic should go to the "how to stick a bell on wall" thread. ("bettering...")
Old 19th February 2010, 12:59   #172
santoshnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Santhosh, I think the pics are better posted in the buses thread. The second pic should go to the "how to stick a bell on wall" thread. ("bettering...")
sorry abt the wrong post it was just out of enthusiasm...how to stick a bell on wall good humour...
just wanted to know why AL has 2 diff models like this one with a diff dash board and steering and the older version steering and dash boards and gear box..any reason if you could throw some light on this
also like TATA why cant AL have one standard is there a reason

Old 19th February 2010, 13:27   #173
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
sorry abt the wrong post it was just out of enthusiasm...how to stick a bell on wall good humour...
That is the title of a thread here. Search for it. I find that sticker funny.

Quote:
just wanted to know why AL has 2 diff models like this one with a diff dash board and steering and the older version steering and dash boards and gear box..any reason if you could throw some light on this
also like TATA why cant AL have one standard is there a reason
1. I doubt if Tatas have standard dash / steering.

2. AFAICT, try to analyse why Maruti sells the M800 and omni, and your question is answered. We Indians would prefer a lower technology products for a few INR less.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:04   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoshnair View Post
some pics i got hold of when travelling back from shirdi AL sleeper ac coaches i guess 12 mtr viking ones
Hey Santhosh that should be 12M bus and not 12mtr Viking.
There is nothing like 12m Viking as these two are different products.
Old 19th February 2010, 22:23   #175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Hey Santhosh that should be 12M bus and not 12mtr Viking.
There is nothing like 12m Viking as these two are different products.
Somebody should send a petition / sue AL for using these misleading variant names. Meeetoo was thinking that 12M meant a 12 meter overall length chassis.
Old 20th February 2010, 08:53   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
thanks a lot to all those who have helped me in the hub heating issue. spoke to one of the officials in AL & he spoke to one of the guys in TVS (A.S.S of AL) in kotayyam.

they said they will rectify the issue free of cost. the bus will be delivered tomorrow afternoon.
again a big thanks to all those who have helped me with this issue.

the bus has been delivered & is running fine now. they have repaired the existing brake & not replaced anything. the AL dealer did not charge me anything but that is because i took the reference of some top officials of AL, else i was asked to pay some amount.
Old 20th February 2010, 10:24   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Just had time to go through this thread in detail. I must say its fascinating.
Old 20th February 2010, 17:46   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Somebody should send a petition / sue AL for using these misleading variant names. Meeetoo was thinking that 12M meant a 12 meter overall length chassis.
It actually is the length of the chasis. Please see the link here
Old 20th February 2010, 19:45   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant to say 12m bus and viking are two different products.
Viking is the older one with huge options and variants including different floor heights. Suitable for Urban and Semi Urban transport.
12M bus is pitted only for Luxury intercity application.
Even then the name 12M bus does'nt sounds good
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:35   #180
santoshnair

thnks Ashley that was an eye opener...hey one of my orkut friends was part of the teamto launch the new tvs irizar leyland super luxury buses 22lacs AC variant and 14 lacs non ac will post pics sooon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks