Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 21:41   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Can you help me in understanding the basic differances between these three - Stage carriage,Contract carriage,Tourist bus.
A Stage Carriage permit is issued to vehicles used to passengers on a scheduled route between two stops, by charging fare approved by the government, and issue ticket for the same. All the State Transport Undertaking buses are registered as Stage Carriages for the purpose.

A Contract Carriage Permit is issued for vehicles that may be given out on hire for the purpose of carrying persons from one point to the other. The vehicle may not pick up passengers from regular bus stops or charge fare on board.

A Tourist Permit is issued to vehicle involved exclusively in transporting tourists - these vehicles are solely intended for this purpose.

However, in Kerala, there is some ambiguity regarding these permits - there are some vehicles regularly used for marriage parties registered as tourist vehicles, and often vice versa.
Old 11th April 2010, 17:41   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
A Contract Carriage Permit is issued for vehicles that may be given out on hire for the purpose of carrying persons from one point to the other. The vehicle may not pick up passengers from regular bus stops or charge fare on board.

A Tourist Permit is issued to vehicle involved exclusively in transporting tourists - these vehicles are solely intended for this purpose.
These two are overlapping I believe.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2010 at 13:22. Reason: Fixing quote. Please proof-read your posts prior to submission
Old 11th April 2010, 21:56   #213
Senior - BHPian

Stage Carriage:
Its a route permit given by the RTO/RTA. Its much like an Autorickshaw permit. The permit is given to the Owner, and he can allocate busses to run on those routes. Whatever the bus, the minute it starts running under the permit, it becomes a Stage Carriage. Stage Carriages can run on routes that are not nationlised

Contract Carriage:
This was a recent introduction, maybe about 7 years back. Its given to vehicles that can be used for all purposes of passenger transportation except run between two points ferrying passengers for a fare. The fare for a Contract Carriage is fixed in advance, and is on a kilometer basis, much like how you would fix a Tempo Traveller for a long trip.

AITOB:
This is a permit that is given to ferry tourists. Its like this, a Bus owner gets a tour itenary organised, then sells tickets for the tour and connducts the tour. The way a Cox & Kings would do. This is the most mis-used permit. The Bus owners use this permit to run long distance inter-city trips with tickets

Moral of the Story: SHARMA, KALLADA, NATIONAL, KESINENI, VRL all of them are into an 'illegal business'
Old 12th April 2010, 20:25   #214
BANNED

Quote:
Tourist permits are exclusively for interstate travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Stage Carriage:
Its a route permit given by the RTO/RTA. Its much like an Autorickshaw permit. The permit is given to the Owner, and he can allocate busses to run on those routes. Whatever the bus, the minute it starts running under the permit, it becomes a Stage Carriage. Stage Carriages can run on routes that are not nationlised.
The part in bold is wrong.

Quote:
Contract Carriage:
This was a recent introduction, maybe about 7 years back. Its given to vehicles that can be used for all purposes of passenger transportation except run between two points ferrying passengers for a fare. The fare for a Contract Carriage is fixed in advance, and is on a kilometer basis, much like how you would fix a Tempo Traveller for a long trip..
The part in bold is wrong. You are right on other respects.

Quote:
AITOB:
This is a permit that is given to ferry tourists. Its like this, a Bus owner gets a tour itenary organised, then sells tickets for the tour and connducts the tour. The way a Cox & Kings would do. This is the most mis-used permit. The Bus owners use this permit to run long distance inter-city trips with tickets

Moral of the Story: SHARMA, KALLADA, NATIONAL, KESINENI, VRL all of them are into an 'illegal business'
<sarcasm against the system>
Dude, these buses have to file monthly returns to the RTA issuing teh permit, showing the names and addressess of passengers who travelled on these buses.

Do you know that people like George W Bush, Jacquiline Kennedy etc. are regulars on this buses?

What I am not clear about, and I believe that Raj may be able to throw some light on this - fares for taxis is regulated by the government. Even tempo travellers are taxis, and their fares is supposed to be regulated. What about the contract carriages?

BTW, vehicles (I mean the buses) running for companies ferrying their employees are "contract carriages".
Old 12th April 2010, 21:07   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Tourist permits are exclusively for interstate travel.
Thanks for that addition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Stage Carriage:
Its a route permit given by the RTO/RTA. Its much like an Autorickshaw permit. The permit is given to the Owner, and he can allocate busses to run on those routes. Whatever the bus, the minute it starts running under the permit, it becomes a Stage Carriage. Stage Carriages can run on routes that are not nationlised
Quote:
The part in bold is wrong.
Adding to what Backseatdriver just mentioned, the permit is issued to the particular bus. Any vehicle does not become a stage carriage once it starts operating on a schedule route. The Vehicle is registered as "HMV-Stage Carriage" by the RTO. These vehicles, according to rule, can be converted to Contract Carriage as per restrictions placed in the particular permit.

However, in case of fleet operators, the operators are free to interchange buses in case of their bus falls sick. (For this to happen, the operator should have more than 5 buses, and should be registered as a Fleet operator).

Another Addition: ALL STU buses are Stage Carriages - and they obviously run on nationalised routes!
Old 12th April 2010, 21:37   #216
BHPian

Hey Raj congratulations on your beauties and all the very best for your venture.
I am myself in the process of starting a passsenger transport company in delhi/NCR.
I am trying my level best to get stage carraige permits for short interstate routes. However it is not easy to get them here as loads of influence is required. I plan to purchase a TATA 1512 Lpo Cng bus chasis and then get the body fabricated.
I however cannot go ahead with the purchase unless i get the surety of permits.
I plan to start this venture with my uncle ( who is already the largest player in the water transport business in delhi) and hence knows the nitty gritties of the business.
Contract carraige ( or Chartered bus permits as they are known here in delhi) are reatively easy to get but then some company must be willing to hire my buses and corporations/companies here want minimun 5-10 buses and thus it is not feasible right now.
Team-bhpians please feel free to give suggestions and comments.
Old 12th April 2010, 21:38   #217
Senior - BHPian

I believe in TN, there is a permit called omni bus permit where is busses are chrged based on the facilities they provide. Higher the facility higher the road tax. They are paid on a quarterly basis to the RTO where they are registered.
These vehicles even if not booked they are suppose to pay the No of seats X tax per seat to RTO.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:23   #218
BANNED

Quote:
However, in case of fleet operators, the operators are free to interchange buses in case of their bus falls sick. (For this to happen, the operator should have more than 5 buses, and should be registered as a Fleet operator).
Err... emmm.. according to the old (pre-1989) rules, 4 buses = 1 free permit as a "spare bus". Only the spare bus can be used in place ofa bus which has gone for repair. May be, post 1989, things have become easier. BTW, we can see several budget tourists using "spare bus" from TN in Kochi. These "spare buses" use "special permit" for such trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1787 View Post
I am myself in the process of starting a passsenger transport company in delhi/NCR.
My advance condolences.

Pardon my sarcasm, but it is one of most regulated fields, and you need to be a goonda to be successful here.

Quote:
I am trying my level best to get stage carraige permits for short interstate routes. However it is not easy to get them here as loads of influence is required.
Intra state permits cannot be rejected; unless the state government has restricted the number of stae carriages in an urban area with population of 5 lakhs or more. (IIRC, may be wrong on the exact population figures). There is not any reason to reject a stage carriage permit according to the rules, post 1989.

This is of course, subject to nationalisation schemes in force / proposed and notified.

Quote:
I believe in TN, there is a permit called omni bus permit where is busses are chrged based on the facilities they provide. Higher the facility higher the road tax. They are paid on a quarterly basis to the RTO where they are registered.
Of course, bus = omni bus.

The taxation structure is similar in most states - payable quarterly, leviedon each seat. The minor differences would be basis of calculation of standign passengers, and levy of tax on driver's and conductor's seats - they are subject to taxation in Kerala, but not so in some other state, according to a psot in the travelouges in this forum. (KA or AP, not sure).
Old 12th April 2010, 22:42   #219
BHPian

Quote:
My advance condolences.

Pardon my sarcasm, but it is one of most regulated fields, and you need to be a goonda to be successful here.

Intra state permits cannot be rejected; unless the state government has restricted the number of stae carriages in an urban area with population of 5 lakhs or more. (IIRC, may be wrong on the exact population figures). There is not any reason to reject a stage carriage permit according to the rules, post 1989.

This is of course, subject to nationalisation schemes in force / proposed and notified.
Haha- i appreciate your sarcasm. I know it is not any regular easy going field. But the thing about permits is that the STA is in complete collusion with the already established players and hence the permits are generally granted only to them. The newcomers are made to helplessly roam around the offices just to get their file moved especially on highly profitable routes such as Delhi-Sonipat, Delhi-Gurgaon-Rewari, Delhi-Hissar, Delhi-Palwal etc ( Frequent Ring Road users would know how full these buses are).
Owning a luxury bus would anyday be a better proposition rather than a route bus but AFAIK most companies/ hotels/ travelhouses require a larger number of vehicles and do not entertain small operators having a bus or two.
Old 11th May 2010, 17:00   #220
Senior - BHPian

An update:

Both the buses have roughly 5k on the odo. one of the buses again had the front brakes overheating problem & it was sent to the A.S.S, this time it was permanently solved.

We are getting 3.5kmpl from one bus & 3.75kmpl from another.
Old 11th May 2010, 17:58   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
An update:

Both the buses have roughly 5k on the odo. one of the buses again had the front brakes overheating problem & it was sent to the A.S.S, this time it was permanently solved.

How is the season getting on for you? Most "contract carriage" operators are making merry now, and buses seem to be running without a break these days. Hope you too are having a good season
Old 11th May 2010, 19:28   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
An update:

Why is it so?

I think may be it has something to do with the rack adjustment of the fuel pump or may be try reducing the fuel quantity using the adjustment screw while making sure engine is not starved.

couple of questions more

I know the buses are contract carriage, but are they running on different terrains i mean one doing the hilly areas and other doing the plains?

Do u have a dedicated driver for each bus or is it random drivers depending on their availability?
The fuel efficiency could be due to the driving style as well!

Last edited by conjon : 11th May 2010 at 19:29.
Old 11th May 2010, 23:16   #223
Senior - BHPian

Raj is your bus doing its trip to Palani in TN. Its a high season over there specially for people from kerela.
Old 12th May 2010, 08:51   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the season getting on for you? Most "contract carriage" operators are making merry now, and buses seem to be running without a break these days. Hope you too are having a good season
spot on!

both the buses are fully booked for april-may!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjon View Post
Why is it so?

I think may be it has something to do with the rack adjustment of the fuel pump or may be try reducing the fuel quantity using the adjustment screw while making sure engine is not starved.
i am against tampering with the company set adjustments. i am sure with the above mentioned practice, the mileage wont improve by more than 0.5kmpl!

Quote:
couple of questions more

I know the buses are contract carriage, but are they running on different terrains i mean one doing the hilly areas and other doing the plains?
nothing like that. both will go wherever the order comes & whichever is free on that particular day.

Quote:
Do u have a dedicated driver for each bus or is it random drivers depending on their availability?
The fuel efficiency could be due to the driving style as well!
no, both have dedicated drivers & we have purposely kept it that way so that each driver knows his vehicle in & out & if a problem arises, one particular driver can be questioned.

Quote:
Raj is your bus doing its trip to Palani in TN. Its a high season over there specially for people from kerela.
yes, it does. but we are trying to avoid it now as the bus is relatively new & a Palani trip causes a lot of damage to the bus like they dirty the bus's seats, side walls, hatrack, etc.

Also, may is wedding time in kerela & hence both the buses are busy!
Old 14th May 2010, 18:13   #225
BHPian

All the best sir... lovely thread, nice buses. very accomodating owner. God Bless!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks