Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 10:04   #151
santoshnair

I have a small correction to make, the gear jutting out of the engine was a leyland first way back in 1982 when Best introduced the new buses with 2 seats behind the rear entry.
TATA introduced this in 88-89, leyland in early 80s

Old 5th February 2010, 10:21   #152
santoshnair

grt pics,wonderfull interiors very cosy congratulations and god bless you in your new venture and you have loads of buses of various genre,
just a question was the leyland luxura anytime suggested to you by your dealers or were they doing the rounds anywhere in your discussion when plans to buy the buses

Old 5th February 2010, 10:31   #153
Senior - BHPian

thanks santosh. No, the leyland luxura was never discussed.
Old 12th February 2010, 20:12   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Review about ashok leyland:

... & i was wondering why they called the bus at 9 am then! finally i got the delivery at 7 pm. also, we had complained of a noise from the front wheel hubs during braking. they dint check that too. when enquired, they said the bus is "new" & let it run first. the brake noise dint go & the wheels started getting hot during running. finally, we had to get it rectified from a local garage.
as i had stated above, the wheels of the bus are still getting hot during long trips. what could be the reason? obviously, the local garage was incapable of identifying & repairing the fault, so this time, we plan to take the bus to TVS, kottayam.
Old 12th February 2010, 21:20   #155
BHPian

Congrats for your new purchase & what a wonderful interior. As good as any. All the best for future endevour
Old 13th February 2010, 10:26   #156
BANNED

Quote:
as i had stated above, the wheels of the bus are still getting hot during long trips. what could be the reason? obviously, the local garage was incapable of identifying & repairing the fault, so this time, we plan to take the bus to TVS, kottayam.
1. Front or back?
2. Remember that this is a heavy vehicle; the hubs will become hot. So, what do you mean by " the wheels getting hot"?
3. If it is merely smell of grease, it may be that grease should be changed. They will remove the wheels, strip down the whole thing down to the housing tubes ("axle" is usual language), wash the bearings and repack the whole thing with new grease.
4. Is there any complaint about loss of power? If so, there may be problems due to braking system. But this need not happen on both sides.
5. If possible, take the vehicle to some *** outside Kerala. *** guys in Kerala tend to be outright lazy.

Who is the "local workshop" you are speaking about? This fixing problems depends a lot on the individual handling your vehicle. Being a newbie, the workshop local guys too may not assign the best hands to your vehicle.

There used to be a "kalyani" opposite Modern Bakery, but they shifted once that road became very busy. No clue where their present location is. And the goods hands may have "retired" by now. There was another guy on the Palarivattom bye-pass pipeline junction, on the Palarivattom pipeline side.
Old 13th February 2010, 10:53   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Congrats for your new purchase & what a wonderful interior. As good as any. All the best for future endevour
thanks a lot sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
1. Front or back?
2. Remember that this is a heavy vehicle; the hubs will become hot. So, what do you mean by " the wheels getting hot"?
3. If it is merely smell of grease, it may be that grease should be changed. They will remove the wheels, strip down the whole thing down to the housing tubes ("axle" is usual language), wash the bearings and repack the whole thing with new grease.
4. Is there any complaint about loss of power? If so, there may be problems due to braking system. But this need not happen on both sides.
5. If possible, take the vehicle to some *** outside Kerala. *** guys in Kerala tend to be outright lazy.

Who is the "local workshop" you are speaking about? This fixing problems depends a lot on the individual handling your vehicle. Being a newbie, the workshop local guys too may not assign the best hands to your vehicle.

There used to be a "kalyani" opposite Modern Bakery, but they shifted once that road became very busy. No clue where their present location is. And the goods hands may have "retired" by now. There was another guy on the Palarivattom bye-pass pipeline junction, on the Palarivattom pipeline side.
thanks a lot for you help buddy. we had given the vehicles to the same garage in Palarivattom, but he was unable to fix the issue.

both the front wheel hubs get hot during running. even though i am a newbie, the drivers we have kept have around 10 yrs of experience in this field. the bus was taken to the local garages on their recommendation only, they know the owners well it seems. so it is when they complained twice, we spoke to TVS kottayam.

THEY ACCEPTED
that the new vehicles from AL has a new model/type of brake lining which is not successful & gets hot during running. this happens in all new AL vehicles. so it is their fault.

they say the older model of brake lining was better & they can replace the current one with the older unit in our bus, PROVIDED WE PAY Rs. 6000 per vehicle!

i cant understand why should WE pay the amount. the vehicle is still under warranty & if AL has provided us a defective vehicle, it is their responsibility to rectify the issue without any additional cost.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 13th February 2010 at 10:55.
Old 13th February 2010, 21:12   #158
BHPian

Quote:
thanks a lot sam.
thanks a lot for you help buddy. we had given the vehicles to the same garage in Palarivattom, but he was unable to fix the issue.
both the front wheel hubs get hot during running. even though i am a newbie, the drivers we have kept have around 10 yrs of experience in this field. the bus was taken to the local garages on their recommendation only, they know the owners well it seems. so it is when they complained twice, we spoke to TVS kottayam.
THEY ACCEPTED that the new vehicles from AL has a new model/type of brake lining which is not successful & gets hot during running. this happens in all new AL vehicles. so it is their fault.
they say the older model of brake lining was better & they can replace the current one with the older unit in our bus, PROVIDED WE PAY Rs. 6000 per vehicle!

i cant understand why should WE pay the amount. the vehicle is still under warranty & if AL has provided us a defective vehicle, it is their responsibility to rectify the issue without any additional cost.

@Raj_5004...this complaint is there for Tata as well as AL vehicles. The reason is due to Govt. pollution norms, the brake linings suppliers changed the composition of the material used. Don't waist time talking to dealers(they have limitations), write a letter to AL or the brake lining make (TVS/HCL/RANE) and lets see how they respond!!
Also ask the mechanic to check whether the automatic slack adjuster is working properly!!
Old 13th February 2010, 21:54   #159
BANNED

Hey, what has material of the brake lining got to do with hubs heaing up? Brake liners heat up when brakes are applied (obviously). Why should liners of material X heat up and liners of material Y not?

Is the outside shop supporting the "liner material" theory?

As an aside, a TVS company (TVS Girling? / Sundaram Clayton?) had introduced asbestos free linings during the last few months we operated the last bus. I believe it was a resounding failure since I recall asbestos linings in later days too.

Are we looking as asbestos free linings here?

Edit:- these linings have a diameter of 14 or 15 inches. That is same as a R14/R15 tyre on Wagon R or most sedans.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 13th February 2010 at 21:56.
Old 14th February 2010, 14:39   #160
Senior - BHPian

yes, we will be talking to AL on monday. lets see how they respond.

if what transsenger said is true, i believe its AL's duty to get the issue solved at the earliest & without any charge.
Old 14th February 2010, 18:13   #161
Senior - BHPian

Raj, Put and pull all the plugs on AL! They need to replace the issue parts FOC. Period!
Old 14th February 2010, 19:39   #162
BHPian

[quote=BaCkSeAtDrIVeR;1731089]Hey, what has material of the brake lining got to do with hubs heaing up? Brake liners heat up when brakes are applied (obviously). Why should liners of material X heat up and liners of material Y not?
As an aside, a TVS company (TVS Girling? / Sundaram Clayton?) had introduced asbestos free linings during the last few months we operated the last bus. I believe it was a resounding failure since I recall asbestos linings in later days too.
Are we looking as asbestos free linings here?
quote]

Good question...theoritically the brake linings get heated up when brakes are applied. FYI the brake lining material plays significant role here! Earlier the liners were asbestos based. But now as i had said, due to Govt. norms, the lining material has more ferrous/ceramic like content. As a result the heat generated during braking is more. Also it generates excessive noise while braking. There is market feedback that it is the drum which is getting worn out unlike brakelinings earlier!
This complaint is very common nowadays in all makes of CV espicially M/HCV.

@raj_5004...pls see that you talk to AL aftersales dept. and not sales team!!! (for better results!)
Old 14th February 2010, 23:36   #163
Senior - BHPian

so what is the solution for this??? even if i talk to AL or its aftersales dept, what can they probably do?
Old 15th February 2010, 02:31   #164
BHPian

Congratulations on buying the new buses bro. The interiors look great.
Old 15th February 2010, 08:16   #165
BHPian

Quote:
so what is the solution for this??? even if i talk to AL or its aftersales dept, what can they probably do?
@raj...simple...ask/pressure them to solve the problem/complaint! Let they decide whether to replace the linings on FOC or do something else to rectify the complaint. For you, the complaint should be cleared free of cost...
(earlier i explained the root cause of the problem just for your information only). Anyway AL team has to attend the customet request and see that the issue is addressed properly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks