Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 15:36   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
From what I know, trucks, trains and other large vehicles use air brakes.

Air pressure is used to release the brakes and hence until the required pressure is built up, the brakes would remain engaged. This is the opposite of hydraulic brakes where hydraulic pressure is used to engage the brakes.

The advantages of air brakes:
1. In the event of a leak, the brakes would get engaged which is safe. In the case of a hydraulic system, a leak means brake failure.
2. In tractor trailer/train system etc. you can easily attach trailers/wagons and connect the air pipes of the braking system without having to worry about losing anything by air.

Others can shed more light perhaps.
Thanks pjbiju. Point 1 makes sense with respect to safety and point 2 makes life easier.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Nice raj.. Congrats.
Why is the steering wheel a bit towards the left? Any technical reason behind it?
i dont think there is any sensible reason buddy. still, the experts may know.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:31   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Frankly, I do not know the answer; but will put in something others may be interested to know.

AL has always had air brakes.

Tatas used to have fluid brakes till mid 1980s. Early 1980s onwards, some models used to come with dual air/fluid brakes. This was known to cause problems, and late 1980s onwards, Tatas switched over to complete air brakes.

Diagonal twin braking circuit - was mandated by law, and was introduced only as the law mandated it.

This means there are independent brake circuits for one front wheel and the rear wheel on the diagonally opposite side.

This provides better safety in case of circuit failure.
I missed this post before. I didn't know a dual air/fluid brake system existed at all! Is diagonal dual braking circuit different from regular dual circuit we see in smaller vehicles?
Old 1st February 2010, 22:09   #124
BHPian

@Raj.. pls take care of the following...
1. If the air pressure is found to be droped after the bus is parked idle for long, then there is air leak for sure! This is a minor complaint but will eat into your fuel a lot. Get it corrected at the earliest. Also instruct the drivers not keep raising the engine every morning for fill air (upto 5.6bar). Instead just start the engine keep it idling for few minutes, meanwhile driver can clean the glass etc. This old practice of filling air by raising engine rpm eats into your fuel considerablly.
2. This engine is having small air compressor, so it takes time to build air pressure. An air suspensioned bus on this chassis requires more air while operation.
3. Eventhough the steering wheel seems old fashioned, it is one of the best avaliable among buses in this category (AL/Tata/Eicher). I have driven various models and assure you this is the most driver friendly one.
4. Always take your vehicle to TVS for service with advance booking only.
5. Pls understand due to govt. pollution norms, the Brake liner material is changed. As a result, you can expect problems of "Sound", drum wear, wheel heating etc. If you find wheelhub grease melted, immediately replace it. When you replace the first brakeliners, fit Rane old type which will solve the problems.

more will follow..
Old 1st February 2010, 22:28   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I missed this post before. I didn't know a dual air/fluid brake system existed at all! Is diagonal dual braking circuit different from regular dual circuit we see in smaller vehicles?
Sorry, not sure about whether cars have diagonal brakes or not. I have NOT owned a vehicle with air and fluid braking circuit - it is what I heard from mechanics / workshop guys, so this is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Air pressure is used to release the brakes and hence until the required pressure is built up, the brakes would remain engaged. This is the opposite of hydraulic brakes where hydraulic pressure is used to engage the brakes..
I am afraid that this is not entirely accurate.

I repeat, I do not know if air brakes have any advantage over fluid braking.

But my 1978 model AL had air brakes, and it was pressure actuated, NOT vacuum brakes. A small leak anywhere in the circuit and brakes would malfunction.

The earlier Fargo and Tata vehicles had fluid brakes.

But most of post 1980s vehicles from AL had vaccum air brakes. (not sure of exact date though). That way, any leak in the braking circuit would result in brakes staying engaged.

To repeat and paraphrase, both pressure operated and vaccum operated air brakes existed. All heavy vehicles now use the vaccum operated air brakes.

And the pressure operated air brakes - the vehicle did NOT give any warning and we can move the vehicle with even zero air pressure. This was, of course, dangerous. In fact, I would test a new driver by pumping away the air pressure and see what he does before releasing the gear. (the vehicle was usually parked with blocks on the wheels). So, wehnever the air pressure was low, we had to use blocks on wheels to prevent teh vehicle from moving. The hand braking system was fully mechanical, with very long rods to connect the lever and brake pads, and was almost always removed after the annual / six-monthly checking at the motor vehicles department.

I believe that current hand brakes do not hae such rods.
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:07   #126
BHPian

@@@raj_5004

Had another question Raj.

Do we have AMC with CV manufacturers as well? If so, did you avail any for these buses?
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
1. If the air pressure is found to be droped after the bus is parked idle for long, then there is air leak for sure! This is a minor complaint but will eat into your fuel a lot. Get it corrected at the earliest. Also instruct the drivers not keep raising the engine every morning for fill air (upto 5.6bar). Instead just start the engine keep it idling for few minutes, meanwhile driver can clean the glass etc. This old practice of filling air by raising engine rpm eats into your fuel considerablly.
thanks. i'll just get this checked. also, i'll instruct the drivers not to rev the engine.

Quote:
2. This engine is having small air compressor, so it takes time to build air pressure. An air suspensioned bus on this chassis requires more air while operation.
yes, our bus has a air suspension.

Quote:
3. Eventhough the steering wheel seems old fashioned, it is one of the best avaliable among buses in this category (AL/Tata/Eicher). I have driven various models and assure you this is the most driver friendly one.
yes, even i felt it quite comfortable to hold.

Quote:
4. Always take your vehicle to TVS for service with advance booking only.
i am planning to avoid TVS after the free services are over.

Quote:
5. Pls understand due to govt. pollution norms, the Brake liner material is changed. As a result, you can expect problems of "Sound", drum wear, wheel heating etc. If you find wheelhub grease melted, immediately replace it. When you replace the first brakeliners, fit Rane old type which will solve the problems.
okay. the grease was not melted this time though.

Quote:
more will follow..
thanks a ton mate. i need all these tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
@@@raj_5004

Had another question Raj.

Do we have AMC with CV manufacturers as well? If so, did you avail any for these buses?
sorry for my ignorance buddy! but what is AMC?
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:58   #128
Senior - BHPian

Raj, this thread is an education for most of us!

Those are smart looking buses, done up very tastefully.
I can't see how your venture can possibly not be a resounding success, with great hardware and a truly enlightened owner!
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:06   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Annual Maintenance Contract with Commercial Vehicles
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it Annual Maintenance Contract? TM offers AMC called Sampoorna Seva, but not sure about AL.

Last edited by teamveevee : 2nd February 2010 at 11:11.
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:23   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Raj, this thread is an education for most of us!

Those are smart looking buses, done up very tastefully.
I can't see how your venture can possibly not be a resounding success, with great hardware and a truly enlightened owner!
thanks a lot sir.

and thanks for that kind words too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Annual Maintenance Contract with Commercial Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Is it Annual Maintenance Contract? TM offers AMC called Sampoorna Seva, but not sure about AL.
AL has offered only 3 free services at 8000, 16000 & 24000 kms.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:44   #132
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Raj and wish you all the best for your venture.

Read your thread rather late today and went through all the pages.
Indeed it is first and only of of it's kind.

So would you shift to Kerala for overseeing the operations first hand or going to remote control things from B'bay ?
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:08   #133
BHPian

All the Best for your Business Raj. Excellent Colour on the Buses and nice Interiors and very tastefully done. No ugly stickers like some other travels put.

The Pictures make me want to drive a bus ;-)
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:25   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
about the safari headlight, there are 2 reasons-
1) i had no other option except safari's headlight. not that it does not look good though. the other option i had was a simple non-reflective round headlight, which was too boring.
2) you people term the safari as the truck, the beast, the king, etc. so i thought its headlight would be more apt for this beast!
Are you sure thats a Safari headlight.
I suppose its a Headlamp lifted from NewGen Cabin of ALL.
But before that " My Sincere and hearty Congratulation on your new business".
I wish all your dreams come true.
All the Very Best Raj.
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:31   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
ALL do offer AMC under the name Vishwas!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks