Team-BHP - Railway Pics
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Railway Pics (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/75014-railway-pics-21.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 3246808)
I have one query - does anyone know what is the "kitna deti hai?" figure for these diesel engines?

Go back to page 1 of this thread, I have posted some figures that a loco pilot told me!

If you have not watched this.
Amazing engineering on gradients and a train ascending up the Byappanahalli gradient near KR Puram Bangalore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dNdvGNenP8

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3254725)
Amazing engineering on gradients and a train ascending up the Byappanahalli gradient near KR Puram Bangalore.

That's quite impressive/amazing. I don't really know what sort of gradients moderns train are capable of tackling? In the early days it was pretty bad. That's why you have these endless viaducts and tunnels in the UK. Had to be pretty much level all across the country as early engines could not cope with any gradient!

E.g. The Brunel billiard table: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Virtual...great-western/

Does this engine have anything special to get up that gradient or is it just the normal traction of its wheels on the track that get it up there?

Jeroen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3254725)

I wonder how the loco managed pull the rakes without smoking. Smoking starts once the loco clears the gradient. Maybe the enormous torque of the WDG coupled with lesser number of rakes did the trick

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3254843)
I don't really know what sort of gradients moderns train are capable of tackling? In the early days it was pretty bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3254844)
I wonder how the loco managed pull the rakes without smoking. Smoking starts once the loco clears the gradient. Maybe the enormous torque of the WDG coupled with lesser number of rakes did the trick

No ideas ! As regards to gradients, I dont know the numbers. But at least I have never seen a gradient which is so visible. Hence was intrigued. I am aware that Byapppanhalli line near KR Puram has a steep gradient. But had no idea it would be so evident ! I think a single loco can pull it up. They add more only while it goes down from a braking point of view.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen (Post 3254843)

Does this engine have anything special to get up that gradient or is it just the normal traction of its wheels on the track that get it up there?

Jeroen

It is a stock engine without any special parts for the climb. This one is a freight class engine, so the gearing helps it more. It is rated at 3100hp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3254844)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3254857)
No ideas ! As regards to gradients, I dont know the numbers. But at least I have never seen a gradient which is so visible. Hence was intrigued. I am aware that Byapppanhalli line near KR Puram has a steep gradient. But had no idea it would be so evident ! I think a single loco can pull it up. They add more only while it goes down from a braking point of view.

The angle and zoom in the shot has actually made the gradient look steep. Not that is not, it is the steepest around Bangalore.,but has one of the sharpest curve as well.
From the start point of the white wall to the point the loco starts its curve is around 250-300 meters and then the gradient reduces .
A light loco or just the engine can climb this just above its idle rpm. There are no additional loco's attached while coming down or going up since it is a very short stretch of climb.
At times when a freight goes on this line, a banker is attached behind the rake since rest of the line to Salem has many ups and downs.

The reason the loco starts smoking towards the middle of the climb is because it has to clear the points or the switch on the tracks and then gather speed. The initial climb is done on just low rpm torque.

When this line was built, we used to go to catch the Island express early morning to see how it managed down this curve. It was a beautiful sight.

This is picture I took around ten years back of an express coming down the same ramp.

The second image shows the height of line the train has to climb from the bottom line .
The curve was built soon after the Salem line was converted to broad Gauge so trains could reach Salem faster instead of going to Jolarpet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 3272824)

The angle and zoom in the shot has actually made the gradient look steep. Not that is not, it is the steepest around Bangalore.,but has one of the sharpest curve as well.
From the start point of the white wall to the point the loco starts its curve is around 250-300 meters and then the gradient reduces .
A light loco or just the engine can climb this just above its idle rpm. There are no additional loco's attached while coming down or going up since it is a very short stretch of climb.
At times when a freight goes on this line, a banker is attached behind the rake since rest of the line to Salem has many ups and downs.

The reason the loco starts smoking towards the middle of the climb is because it has to clear the points or the switch on the tracks and then gather speed. The initial climb is done on just low rpm torque.

When this line was built, we used to go to catch the Island express early morning to see how it managed down this curve. It was a beautiful sight.

This is picture I took around ten years back of an express coming down the same ramp.

The second image shows the height of line the train has to climb from the bottom line .
The curve was built soon after the Salem line was converted to broad Gauge so trains could reach Salem faster instead of going to Jolarpet.

So does a WDM 3a require a banker with a 22 rake load?

Any idea what is the gradient measurement? Looks like 1:200

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3272853)

No, the rake with WDM3A generally does not have a banker. The popular daily express trains, The Mysore - Tuticorin Express(WDM 3A/3D from Erode, Kurla - Coimbatore (WDP4 from KJM/WDM3D from Erode), Mysore- Mayiladuthurai Express WDM3A/3D from Erode does not get a banker though the same train proceeds towards Salem. This stretch has quite a few gradients. I have not spotted frieghts ones very often, most of the frieghts one get a twin WDG3A/WDG4

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 3272853)

None of the passengers/express has a banker attached .

It is a 1:100 gradient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrishnap (Post 3272957)
No, the rake with WDM3A generally does not have a banker. The popular daily express trains, The Mysore - Tuticorin Express(WDM 3A/3D from Erode, Kurla - Coimbatore (WDP4 from KJM/WDM3D from Erode), Mysore- Mayiladuthurai Express WDM3A/3D from Erode does not get a banker though the same train proceeds towards Salem. This stretch has quite a few gradients. I have not spotted frieghts ones very often, most of the frieghts one get a twin WDG3A/WDG4

All these trains except Myladathurai have dual WDM3a's from Erode now. Should be fun to travel on one of these on this line with twin loco's hauling it.

Attached a picture of the gradient without a train on it.

Regards

To really have a look at whn and where bankers are required, please have a look at the pictures from Bhor ghat (Bombay - Pune route) or Thull ghat (Bombay - Nashik route). All trains going up the ghats have atleast 2 banker locos attached at the rear of the train. Near to Bangalore the Dudhsagar falls track would be a wonderful place to spot bankers. As many as 5 WDG class locomotives are used on this line as bankers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 3273905)
All these trains except Myladathurai have dual WDM3a's from Erode now. Should be fun to travel on one of these on this line with twin loco's hauling it.

I have travelled on the Mysore-Mayavaram express. But never remembered the gradient. Because while going it was too late and it was dark. And I was not in time to catch the gradient. On the way back I did spot it, but its the climbing which is more fun to watch!

Uploading the pictures of the toy train in Madikeri (Near Raja's seat) captured by my friends on a recent tripRailway Pics-img_2882.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2883.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2884.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2885.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2887.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2888.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2889.jpg

Railway Pics-img_2890.jpg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unk9ja (Post 3277012)
Uploading the pictures of the toy train in Madikeri (Near Raja's seat) captured by my friends on a recent tripAttachment 1158526

Attachment 1158527

Attachment 1158528

Attachment 1158529

Attachment 1158530

Attachment 1158531

Attachment 1158532

Attachment 1158533.

I wonder what sort of powertrain it runs on. Possibly an agricultural diesel. Anyway, how long is the route for this train?

Few pics from my recent doodhsagar trip:

Railway crossing near CastleRock station (this might be cheating but still is an awesome place :D )

Railway Pics-img_1892.jpg

Castle Rock railway station :

Railway Pics-img_1896.jpg

Board says it all:

Railway Pics-img_1913.jpg

Noticed the goods train that brought is to Dudhsagar had 5 WDG4s all in the front? (Not sure if you can count all 5 in this pic)

Railway Pics-img_1970.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by FINTAIL (Post 3277134)
I wonder what sort of powertrain it runs on. Possibly an agricultural diesel. Anyway, how long is the route for this train?

It is a much more refined than an agriculture diesel. Since the train runs very slow, the clatter is drowned in the shriek of the children in it. The whole length of the trrack may be a km long and takes about 5 mins to cover.