Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 18:25   #1
BHPian

Railway Pics

This is not really a Travelogues. Just a collection of railway pics I took on the way back from Kerala. Pictures are not as good as I would have liked as battery was dying so had to use the View Finder.
Standing at the door holding on with one hand and trying to juggle the camera with the other is a little difficult. Anyway hope you enjoy the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-dscf3683-large.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscf3692-large.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscf3694-large.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscf3695-large.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscf3696-large.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscf3717-large.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscf3698-large.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscf3701-large.jpg  

Railway Pics-dscf3703-large.jpg  

alter.e.go is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2010, 19:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Any snap of a smoking diesel loco is worth a million. I have a quite a few of them !
Old 6th February 2010, 20:46   #3
BHPian

I guess I can upload Railway Station pictures here. Here goes the Yeswanthpur Railway Station. This was taken early morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Railway Pics-ypr2.jpg  

Railway Pics-ypr1.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 09:41   #4
Team-BHP Support

Here are some from me..

All the captured during the early morning hours, when the stations are in their pristine glory !

The first train of the day for Bangalore from Mysore
Railway Pics-dsc00447.jpg

Various snaps of the Yelahanka as taken at early morning during my jaunts or mourning walk as you may call....

Udyan Express smoking in...
Railway Pics-rail3.jpg

Kachiguda makes a sedate entry...
Railway Pics-image0009.jpg

Another day another view, the same train
Railway Pics-image0068.jpg

A double diesel performing duties.. The second loco was dead
Railway Pics-image0065.jpg

A new line of rakes parked ...
Railway Pics-image0075.jpg

A new born loco shunting away to glory
Railway Pics-image0098.jpg
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2010, 09:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Very nice pictures! For those who don't know, I would like to decipher the codes written in front of the locos. Look at the first pic of the engine which states WDM2. The first letter denotes the gauge of the engine (Wide gauge), the second one is the type of engine (Diesel), the third letter the application of the engine (mixed - passenger as well as goods)) and finally the numeral shows the horse power in thousands (2000 HP).

The second picture shows an engine designed for passenger trains only - WDP4. It means Wide gauge, Diesel, Passenger engine of 4000 HP. If it were a goods engine, it would read WDG4. But normally pure goods engines will be much more powerful - in the 5000 - 6000 HP range. Similarly, if it were an electric engine, the code will read as WAP4 - meaning Wide gauge, Alternating current. Passenger engine of 4000 HP.

Some times there will be an additional letter after the numeral such as WAP4D. This letter also denotes HP , but in increments of 100. SO WAP4D will mean an engine of 4400 HP.

Last edited by Gansan : 8th February 2010 at 10:12.
Gansan is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 8th February 2010, 10:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Very nice pictures! For those who don't know, I would like to decipher the codes written in front of the locos. Look at the first pic of the engine which states WDM2. The first letter denotes the gauge of the engine (Wide gauge), the second one is the type of engine (Diesel), the third letter the application of the engine (mixed - passenger as well as goods)) and finally the numeral shows the horse power in thousands (2000 HP).
Fantastic. I always kept wondering how to decode this. Pls keep more of them coming up especially would be interested with the ones that we see as railway milestones.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

The second picture shows an engine designed for passenger trains only - WDP4. It means Wide gauge, Diesel, Passenger engine of 4000 HP. If it were a goods engine, it would read WDG4. But normally pure goods engines will be much more powerful - in the 5000 - 6000 HP range. Similarly, if it were an electric engine, the code will read as WAP4 - meaning Wide gauge, Alternating current. Passenger engine of 4000 HP.

Some times there will be an additional letter after the numeral such as WAP4D. This letter also denotes HP , but in increments of 100. SO WAP4D will mean anengine of 4400 HP.
Thanks a lot for this info. Really very informative.
Old 8th February 2010, 10:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Fantastic. I always kept wondering how to decode this. Pls keep more of them coming up especially would be interested with the ones that we see as railway milestones.
A-Z of Loco Nomenclature.. Courtesy IRFCA:

[IRFCA] The Nomenclature System of Locomotives on Indian Railways
ampere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2010, 10:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

That's right, that sight has loads of info, but I got to know of it much later, after I got the info directly from a loco pilot (they will be offended if you call them drivers!). A couple of years ago I was travelling the Chennai - Tuticorin sector by train almost every week-end. There were a few occasions when I had to travel un-reserved too, and the coach was right next to the diesel loco. I will get down at Villupuram to have tea and this particular driver will also come to the same shop, that is how I got talking to him.

Hey, I even posed the "average kya hai" question to him! He said the consumption for the Chennai - Villupuram leg (~150 KM) was 900 litres! There were three more legs of roughly equal distance to go (Villupuram - Trichy, Trichy - Madurai and Madurai - Tuticorin) so we could assume a similar 900 X 3 pattern, a total of ~3600 litres of diesel. The total distance is 656 KM, so the mileage is something like 5.5 - 6 litres of diesel per KM travelled! Not bad for a vehicle that carries more than a 1000 passengers in sleeper comfort!

He also mentioned the correct nomenclature is not "Diesel Loco", but "Diesel Electric Loco". It has a two stroke diesel engine which runs a generator, and the train actually runs on the electricity produced by the generator. That is why the mileage is at these levels, if it ran simply by IC engine power like a bus, the figure will be really dismal!

Last edited by Gansan : 8th February 2010 at 10:57.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2010, 11:20   #10
BHPian

DWind

The coupling of a Traction Motor to a Diesel powerplan also reduces loss due to tranmission and make it simpler / less heavier. Imagine having to have so many sets of gears for variying loads. This would make it difficult for the maintenance teams for maintaining every set of gear. The use of Traction Motors also makes helps in generating maximum torque during starts very essential for railroad work.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:34   #11
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Takes me back to the days I used to take the trains! I was lucky enough to be in the engine of Mangalore Mail from Cannanore to Tellichery. It was damn noisy. I keep wondering how the "Pilot" and the "co-pilot" manage to work in such noisy environs round the clock. Atleast the noise doesn't let them sleep.

One one of my many trips in that route, I also happend to meet one Asha Kelunni on the platforms of Tellichery. The world knows her better as Revathi the actress. Thanks for the photos guys, I'm going back on a nostalgic trip.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:50   #12
BHPian

Nice pictures.

Does anybody has pictures of the 1st Class compartment??
Old 8th February 2010, 12:24   #13
BHPian

Engine Models

What engine model is this ?

Fillmore is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2010, 12:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

That does not seem to be a pic taken in India!
Old 8th February 2010, 13:34   #15
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That's from Pakistan. Read it here.

http://freshpics.blogspot.com/2008/1...-pakistan.html

Last edited by MX6 : 8th February 2010 at 13:36. Reason: adding link.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks