Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 16:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Good man, how about soaking up newspaper in Hot water itself and then put on rear glass. I left my polo rear glass with film as it is as off now. But looking at your solution might give a try in next weekend.
Hot water?
didnt think of that.
I dont know how much of a difference it would make, cosidering the 40+ heat right now.
Excellent time to be taking off sunfilms, yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@mayankk; Good thinking. Water fixes it so water may help remove it. Obvious once somebody points it out.
Captain obvious to the front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Mayank, thanks for the tutorial

Does your defogger work perfectly fine after you removed the sunfilm? If it works fine, I'll be removing the sunfilm all by myself the way you did.
I have no idea.
How do I test it in the summers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldudedelhi View Post
Hi Mayank,

Do you live in or around Pandara Road area of New Delhi?
Yup, I am in pandara park.
you must be nearby to have made THAT out from the limted vis in the pictures.
where?

Last edited by mayankk : 7th May 2012 at 16:03.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 16:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

I just scratched out a corner with my nails, and then pulled the sheets off, from all 3 of my vehicles. Followed it up by mopping up with Water.

None of them left any residue, so why the BROUHAHA!
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 16:45   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry About the back to back posts, seemed I just ran afoul of the edit window.
All Done finally.
Attached Images

Old 7th May 2012, 16:52   #19
BHPian

@ Mayank: Instead of starting a new thread, I am using yours to share my experience. Hope you wont mind. I removed my car's sunfilm today. For me it went off very easy. I did carry lots of newspaper with me ( for rear screen). But I noticed that film is coming off very easy from the side windows. Here's how I did it. I used
  • A small knife
  • A soft towel
  • A household glass cleaner (Mr Muscle)
  • Newspaper to clean the glass.
My car was parked in sun. I brought her to shade and started my job. I started with front right window. Got hold of an edge of film using knife. And started pulling down slowly, and sprayed glass cleaner ocassionally. Came off smoothly. Similarily removed all the side window films. Took me 20 mins. Then I went for rear screen with defogger. Luckily it was done in 3 pieces. I had to be very careful not to damage the defogger strips. I slowly started from left and kept moving to right (in line with the defogger strips). I thought going from top to bottom, or vice versa might increase the chances of defogger strips getting damaged. So I did same as Mayank did. Took me about half an hour. I feel the effort and time taken to remove the films is inversely proportional to the quality of sun films. Will take some time to get used to my car sans tints..
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-07052012362.jpg  

DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-07052012365.jpg  

DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-07052012367.jpg  

DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-07052012373.jpg  

DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-07052012368.jpg  

nozzlering is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 18:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

i've a question - did you have to remove the door panels to access the sun film partly inside the door? or did it just come off when wound up?
Old 7th May 2012, 19:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've a question - did you have to remove the door panels to access the sun film partly inside the door? or did it just come off when wound up?
Nope no need to remove the door panels. They didn't remove when putting on the film so no need when removing. Removing is easier whereas putting on means trying to get the film even in that small gap to stick.

There is absolutely no need to remove the door pad for any car unless you really messed up and there's like sticky glue just where you finger doesn't reach.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 20:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I have no idea.
How do I test it in the summers?
I checked the effectiveness of the defogger by wiping the outside of the windshield by a damp cloth after turning on the defogger for some time. The dampness disappears faster near the defogger circuit than the other places.

Here goes my experience - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2768590

Last edited by thoma : 7th May 2012 at 20:26.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 23:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
No. I didnt remove the panels. Carefully (read slowly) pulling out the film would do the job.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

I've few queries on removing the sunfilm from the rear windshield of a car with defogger.

1) While peeling off the sun-film, how can I know if I'm damaging the defogger lines or not? Will there be black lines on peeled portion of the sun-film if I'm doing it wrongly?

2) How does the peeled off sun-film layer look like? Will it have alternate band like appearance, with no glue on the portion where the defogger lines were present and glue present on remaining portion?

Thanks in anticipation

I'm quoting mayankk's and nozzlering's posts so that I get my queries answered pretty quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Hope this helps someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
Here's how I did it
Old 9th May 2012, 14:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Is it a good idea or bad idea to switch "ON" the defogger for 10-15 minutes before starting to remove the sunfilm from the rear glass?
Old 9th May 2012, 14:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I've few queries on removing the sunfilm from the rear windshield of a car with defogger.

1) While peeling off the sun-film, how can I know if I'm damaging the defogger lines or not? Will there be black lines on peeled portion of the sun-film if I'm doing it wrongly?
2) How does the peeled off sun-film layer look like? Will it have alternate band like appearance, with no glue on the portion where the defogger lines were present and glue present on remaining portion?
As per my observation while removing sunfilms,
1. There will be slight impression/ colour (from the defogger strips). As I mentioned earlier, while pulling out the film, I was careful not to pull the film from up towards down or vice versa. This way, I feel chances are high for damage.
2. Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Is it a good idea or bad idea to switch "ON" the defogger for 10-15 minutes before starting to remove the sunfilm from the rear glass?
So much is available on net. It is portrayed to be a very difficult job. I was thinking of buying a steam generating machine, which many have used to demonstrate safely peeling off the films. Expensive, yet better than giving it to someone else who might not be careful with it. Only after mayank and a friend of mine did it, I got courage to do it. Its pretty easy job. Wont take more than 20 mins for anyone. We just need to be careful (slow) while doing the job. You can use the defogger. But believe me, it will come off easily without using it.

Last edited by nozzlering : 9th May 2012 at 14:52.
nozzlering is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 19:33   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class

Thanks in anticipation

I'm quoting mayankk's and nozzlering's posts so that I get my queries answered pretty quick
When I did it, the wet part came off with 0 effort, so no chance there of damaging it.
For the latter half, the film came off, but the tint was left on. That was done very gently with cloth wipes and fingers.

There were indentations on the film where it was on the defogger.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 01:16   #28
BHPian

This thread gives me confidence to peel of the sunfilm on my own.

I was scared about ruining the defogger although i have not used it even once in the past 1 year. :-)
Old 10th May 2012, 13:51   #29
BHPian

Guys, I am still confused - I have Garware sun film installed with 70% visibility. Should I still be removing it? I feel like a stubborn kid who resists from giving away his candy! I really don't want to remove it! Plus in BT they specified about the limit, 70% visibility on front and back and 50% visibility on sides. The sun is too strong in Bangalore, you can easily get sun burns if you drive around in the afternoon time. So many comments and so many confusion. Some one please help.

Last edited by MadTiger : 10th May 2012 at 13:52.
Old 10th May 2012, 13:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTiger
Guys, I am still confused - I have Garware sun film installed with 70% visibility. Should I still be removing it? I feel like a stubborn kid who resists from giving away his candy! I really don't want to remove it! Plus in BT they specified about the limit, 70% visibility on front and back and 50% visibility on sides. The sun is too strong in Bangalore, you can easily get sun burns if you drive around in the afternoon time. So many comments and so many confusion. Some one please help.
short and sweet of it, as it stands as per law right now:
no sun film, ranging from 0%to 100%.
anywhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks