Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 16:05   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
Yeah, the issue isnt the window rolling down, its the glue not coming off!!!
Colin doesn't seem to help either... Called my friends garage and the mech recommends petrol / thinner to get rid of the gum...

Next question, what happens if I let the gum be as is for a day till I get time to sit and clean out the gum...
please refer to my post on page #4. the residual gum does come off; just have to be patient with it. all you need it Mr.Muscle or Colin. for removing it faster, get a used (soft) Scotch Brite (or similar) scrub; but don't use this on the rear glass if you've a defogger.
Old 15th May 2012, 16:57   #122
Senior - BHPian

Dumb question: For those managing to remove film in one piece, can that film be re-used elsewhere e.g. house windows facing east/west?
Old 15th May 2012, 17:03   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Dumb question: For those managing to remove film in one piece, can that film be re-used elsewhere e.g. house windows facing east/west?
Have tried that but its not worth it.
First, due to the removed film crumpling and getting creases all over, which itself hiders a clear view.
The other being the adhesive becomes weak and comes of soon which creates more bubbles/sunfilm peeling in parts
Old 15th May 2012, 17:05   #124
BHPian

I visit Bangalore RTO (Indiranagar) and Irfan remove 8 film (XUV) in just 15 minutes..... i paid him 150/- rs for same. if anyone want to visit please call him @ 9886182023....
Old 15th May 2012, 17:41   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
I visit Bangalore RTO (Indiranagar) and Irfan remove 8 film (XUV) in just 15 minutes..... i paid him 150/- rs for same. if anyone want to visit please call him @ 9886182023....
Interested to know if he is cautious while peeling off films which are stuck over defoggers on the rear windshield.
Old 15th May 2012, 18:58   #126

I followed the instructions from this video (), picked up a facial steamer for around 200 bucks from a medical store, the films were out easily, there was no glue on the side glasses or the quarter panel glasses, however, there was some residual glue on the rear glass. Used some thinner (used with paints) to wipe the glue off with a piece of cloth. It was simple and easy, an easy DIY!
deepakr82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 19:03   #127
Team-BHP Support

I saw cab drivers collect at one place and remove the sun film on their respective Sumos/Indicas at ITPL today. Simple peeling off the film.

I'd rather wait until the 19th to see what transpires.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

got a chance to use the defogger this evening in the heavy downpour. happy to report that all is well
Old 15th May 2012, 21:16   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Interested to know if he is cautious while peeling off films which are stuck over defoggers on the rear windshield.
Mate yes i checked defoggers and happy to reports its working fine....... to most important part was he even not used cutter to remove print......

offtopic :- after reaching home i was able to capture this video ....

Old 15th May 2012, 21:44   #130
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

After successfully removing the sunfilm on Saturday (details in earlier post #62 on page #5) I still had more work to do that evening to remove the glue from the glasses. All the glasses had dried up streaks of glue like they've been splashed all over with a brush. Did some reading up here again but wasn't comfortable using thinner/petrol/kerosene, so here's what I did:

1.Wiped the glasses with Iso Propyl alcohol swabs but that wasn't enough to remove the glue Plan A failed so tried Plan B.
2. Placed thick towels at the base of the glasses to prevent water from entering the door panels.
3.Made a solution with shampoo, wiped the glasses with the shampoo solution and using a putty blade removed all of the glue - it came out like dried fevicol Plan B successful !
4.Did one final round of cleaning all the glasses with the alcohol swabs to make them crystal clear and shiny.

Just a word of caution - with almost no prior experience of using putty blades, I ended up with 2 cuts on my palms so please be careful.
Alternatively, you can also use a plastic paper knife which is much safer.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 23:55   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Mate yes i checked defoggers and happy to reports its working fine....... to most important part was he even not used cutter to remove print......

offtopic :- after reaching home i was able to capture this video ....

MVI_2061.wmv - YouTube
Thanks for sharng the video. By the way, what were you trying to show in the video?
R. Kotwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 00:08   #132
BHPian

Removed the sunflm on my Safari today.
The experience was not as dramatic.
Just dampened the edges of the film. Peeled one small corner of the film with a sharp knife/nails and gently but firmly pulled it off the glass applying pressure in such a way that the film came off in one big piece. Hydrated in between with water whenever felt necessary. Sprayed Colin (glass cleaner) on adhesive traces left on the glass after the sun film was removed. Let the sprayed area reman for a minute before vigorously cleaning it with a clean cloth, followed by paper.
Job done.
Time taken- 20 mins.
Old 16th May 2012, 06:36   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mayank & @Patchyboy, thank you. Removed the film yesterday. It was easy.

Much better doing it as DIY. Spent much less time & not have to pay for it too. No hassle of going to some one, waiting for him to do it, and then paying him for it.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 07:47   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Kotwal View Post
Thanks for sharng the video. By the way, what were you trying to show in the video?
Mate in jammu this Ice stone (Cryolite) is common things but not for Bangalore this is 2nd time i have seen in past 7 years in bangalore... (lets close this topic here as we are hijacking DIY - Sunfilm)

Last edited by Tushargohil : 16th May 2012 at 07:48.
Old 16th May 2012, 14:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
The guy was holding a BIG can of TVS DOT3 Brake fluid (yellow plastic can with red lid) and applying it liberally on all glasses and let it drip all over the claddings and inners of the door and just spray soap water and use a soft rubber blade to clean out the gum! God save the cars!
I spoke too soon!

Brake fluid, CIF (Household cleaner), news paper, and lots of human muscle power later (approx 1 hour) - this is the result. It works...

DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-photo0177.jpg

DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-photo0178.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks