Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 23:54   #61
BHPian

Re: DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
"we partially allow this writ petition and prohibit use of black films of any percentage VLT upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses."

However, if the manufacturer delivers the car with tinted glasses (50% VLT for windows, 70% VLT for front and rear) it is fine.

Read some more reports that the sun film manufacturers are planning to contest this judgement. So will wait till the last day before pulling off my sun films.
The Law stipulates that the visibility should be as you stated above, but SC has gone a step further of banning the film, the effect is the same in either case and the court should have understood this logic. Beats me why they did not But in any case there is a possibility that there will be a review petition filed for changes to this judgement to permit usage of films on glasses. In all probabilities the law was made when the 'film' did not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Somebody please file a PIL!!

Reason also is mentioned in the judgement IIRC, no fool proof way of measuring and authorities don't have money to buy the equipment to implement it uniform at ground level. So to avoid any subjectiveness, point blank ban. How brilliant!
I am really serious about it, got lots of good grounds like the AC works much more and fuel wasted is a national waste, women do not feel safe, they are actually unsafe driving alone especially, Delhi is a living example. In Delhi this law it has been in implementation all throughout and yet what we see?
Bottom line, if the Police cannot do their job well, either way we suffer. :

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th May 2012 at 09:13. Reason: smiley removed
Old 12th May 2012, 10:43   #62
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to this thread and others here at TBHP, I completed my DIY project for sunfilm removal this morning and feel liberated now with so much more light coming into the car
Pretty much followed the steps given in this thread and others, some pictures here for the steps followed:
Soak newspaper in water (make sure it's not very soggy)
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-1.soak-news-paper.jpg

Protect the switches on door panel (used a towel here)
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-2.protect-switches-door-panel.jpg

Paste the newspaper on the inside of the glass
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-3.paste-paper-glass.jpg

Get hold of top corner of the Sunfilm (you can use a small knife/blade carefully) and Start peeling
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-4.peel-off-one-corner1.jpg

OR you can Get hold of bottom corner of the Sunfilm (you can use a small knife/blade carefully) and Start peeling
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-5.peel-off-one-corner2.jpg

Continue peeling the sunfilm across the width of the glass
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-6.continue-peeling1.jpg

Continue peeling the sunfilm across the width of the glass
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-7.continue-peeling2.jpg

Done with one glass
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-8.one-glass-done.jpg

Quarter glass (was a little bit of struggle in one of them to get hold of a corner)
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-9.quarter-glasspeel-off-corner.jpg

Quarter glass - continue peeling
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-10.quarter-glass-continue-peeling.jpg

Done with one Quarter glass
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-11.quarter-glass-done.jpg

Rear windshield - I don't have the defogger but did expect this to be a struggle but it was as easy as ever once I managed to get hold of one corner
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-12.rear-windshieldpeel-off-corner.jpg

In fact this one came off as a whole single piece !
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-13.rear-windsieldcontinue-peeling.jpg

Done with Rear windshield
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-14.rear-windshield-done.jpg

Clean with glass cleaner (Colin, Mr.Muscle, etc)
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-15.clean-glass-cleaner.jpg

All done and dusted in one hour.

Last edited by NPV : 12th May 2012 at 10:57. Reason: typo fixes
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 11:06   #63
ash

I was able to spend half an hour or so and peel off 10+ year old unbranded sun film off my Santro with the help of trusty Colin! Lucky that it needed nothing more than gentle tugs, sprays and lots of patience.

Thanks for all the replies on this thread! You could try a test peel to see how sticky your sun film is before trying the more time consuming methods.
ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 12:00   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Thanks to this thread and others here at TBHP, I completed my DIY project for sunfilm removal this morning and feel liberated now with so much more light coming into the car ...
Awesome.
Quick query, after you placed the wet newspaper on the glass did you park it in the Sun ?
if so for how many minutes ?

Thanks
Fillmore
Old 12th May 2012, 13:11   #65
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Awesome.
Quick query, after you placed the wet newspaper on the glass did you park it in the Sun ?
Thanks
Fillmore
No, it was an overcast day this morning hardly any sunlight and my car was in the covered porch all the while. I'm not sure if it really matters but - I had 3M branded sunfilm and on each glass I could get hold of a corner/edge using a Maped knife/blade that's usually used for paper craft work.
Old 12th May 2012, 13:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the DIY.

I too removed it myself.

There are some glue marks on the rear windshield, how do I remove them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Awesome.

Thanks
Fillmore

Around 15 min. I sprayed soap-water solution once or twice in-between.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 12th May 2012 at 13:24.
Old 12th May 2012, 13:31   #67

I removed the sunfilm from my car today, and I think none of the above steps (i.e., wetting with newspaper etc) are required. I just peeled off a corner of the sunfilm with my nails and holding that corner slowly pulled off the entire sunfilm. The whole thing came off in a single piece.

There was no residual gum left as well . And before someone says it might depend on the quality of the sunfilm, mine was one of those freebie films that the dealer had put in.

PS: My car was parked in a covered parking and the car is just 6 months old.
.Praveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 16:38   #68
BHPian

i removed the films on my side windows and rear hatch. I feel since my car is more than 5 years old, and the low quality film added to that made the job quite hectic. It took me 1.5 hours as opposed to 20 mins mentioned by other bhpians.

However, there are ugly glue marks all over. Colin. soap water didn't help. Wifey's nail polish remover bottle is almost 90% empty, but that also doesn't seem to be a cost effective option.

Would diesel help?
Old 12th May 2012, 17:18   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC
i removed the films on my side windows and rear hatch. I feel since my car is more than 5 years old, and the low quality film added to that made the job quite hectic. It took me 1.5 hours as opposed to 20 mins mentioned by other bhpians.

However, there are ugly glue marks all over. Colin. soap water didn't help. Wifey's nail polish remover bottle is almost 90% empty, but that also doesn't seem to be a cost effective option.

Would diesel help?
Did you keep it wet while removing it?

I read over on mustang forums that Mr muscle may help.
Presumably diesel ought to, too.
Just keep the door open when using diesel, else the smell will take forever to vanish.
Old 12th May 2012, 17:50   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Did you keep it wet while removing it?

I read over on mustang forums that Mr muscle may help.
Presumably diesel ought to, too.
Just keep the door open when using diesel, else the smell will take forever to vanish.
Yes, i used Colin to keep it wet. Lots of it, in fact i used up a full small bottle.

Is Mr. Muscle different from Colin? Would petrol work? I like petrol smell, smell of diesel makes me nauseatic. My windows look ugly now.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 12th May 2012 at 17:51.
Old 12th May 2012, 18:03   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I was in same boat and then ended up using 2 litres of paint thinner (1 litre + 1 litre @ rupees 80 each). I bought a pair of rubber hand gloves, and soaked a handkerchief (wipe cloth) with thinner and started applying on the glasses. Each glass took almost an hour, so I split the activity across 2 days (actually I got very tired, so gave up for other day). What i learnt is that rubbing the cloth in circular motion takes off the "glue" and it starts falling off like "dried phlegm from your nose" (sorry for being gross, I wanted you to visualize this, as it started dirtying the cabin once falling off from the glass.

The issue is some glue starts sticking on the kerchief and makes matter worse. the wiping effectiveness is reduced once the glue transfers (and remains on the wipe cloth). That's why i saw the advantage of "circular wiping". After glue was removed, the greasiness in the glass was removed with Mr. Muscle spray (blue colored, 54 bucks).

Please see that as you start inhaling the paint thinner, it will be a nauseating experience. What I did is a complete torture to self and probably best avoided. I used gloves during second day, as first day the thinner was vapourizing on my palms, and I had a sick feeling of it being a poison and entering my blood stream.

Last edited by devsoftech : 12th May 2012 at 18:04.
Old 12th May 2012, 18:11   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post

Please see that as you start inhaling the paint thinner, it will be a nauseating experience. What I did is a complete torture to self and probably best avoided. I used gloves during second day, as first day the thinner was vapourizing on my palms, and I had a sick feeling of it being a poison and entering my blood stream.
You probably also spoiled all the rubber beadings around the window with paint thinner and if paint thinner has seeped into the door below the window there could be worse damage there.

Guys, please do not use paint thinner at all. It's probably the worst way to remove the film. Shampoo solution i.e. one sachet mixed with 1 litre water works best.

The film guys don't use colin but use the shampoo solution as it lubricates even more than colin. colin is not greasy whereas shampoo solution is.
Old 12th May 2012, 18:13   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech

I was in same boat and then ended up using 2 litre-------------------- ------------------------------------- -------------------- snip ------------------------------------- ------------------------------------- ------------------------------------- I had a sick feeling of it being a poison and entering my blood stream.
I am surprised you're having so much problem with the glue.

And dev, that analogy, I'm still laughing man!!!

Geez!!!!
Old 12th May 2012, 18:25   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Shampoo solution i.e. one sachet mixed with 1 litre water works best.
Vidyut, trust me. I used my car shampoo (sachet full measure, mothers car shampoo) and mixed with 250ml of water and used it. I am not saying it didnt help, but the speed it removes glue is zilch. It would take minimum an hour for each glass window. Can i use a scotch brite to increase effectiveness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am surprised you're having so much problem with the glue.
Mayank, the glue is getting into my nerves. Now i feel i could have paid few bucks and got it done somewhere.
Old 12th May 2012, 18:34   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Vidyut, trust me. I used my car shampoo (sachet full measure, mothers car shampoo) and mixed with 250ml of water and used it. I am not saying it didnt help, but the speed it removes glue is zilch. It would take minimum an hour for each glass window. Can i use a scotch brite to increase effectiveness?

Mayank, the glue is getting into my nerves. Now i feel i could have paid few bucks and got it done somewhere.
Please use IPA iso-propyl alcohol available at any chemist.

Its milder and harmless to body paint but will give you a serious high if you inhale too much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks