Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 16:35   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do

Got those nice 3M films off my Jazz yesterday. My driver took the initiative and the entire removal was done using a blade, a credit card, some clear no-smell spirit and a damp cloth. Process took about an hour but cleaning the glass post the spirit and damp cloth application was a headache. Specially the rear quarter glass is obstructed with those seatbelts and cleaning them was not easy. However, it's all done and the Jazz is now ready to embrace the oncoming summer with open arms
Old 13th February 2013, 18:48   #302
BHPian

Got caught twice for the sunfilms. Once the RC Card was confiscated, so I went to the chowky 30 mins later and paid the fine without actually removing the sunfilms

Then last week I was stopped near my college and the cop said he'll either take my license and I'll have to go to the chowky, or we can settle it here. I said I don't have change and nor do I have the time to go to the chowky (in a polite tone), he let me go

I have Garware films and I tried removing it from the left rear window first. I just peeled it with one hand and it came out pretty easily in 2 pieces. There seems to be some glue residue so that I'll try removing with water whenever I get time and also get rid of the film from the other glasses.
Old 18th February 2013, 13:23   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post

I have Garware films and I tried removing it from the left rear window first. I just peeled it with one hand and it came out pretty easily in 2 pieces. There seems to be some glue residue so that I'll try removing with water whenever I get time and also get rid of the film from the other glasses.
Dude, why not spend odd Rs 300 and get it removed by professionals ??

BTW my kid cousin in Delhi Univ just told me that Girls out there are readying for "Brick the Tinted" Glasses they see in the campus area. With Strict SC order and a bunch of girls doing in Mob, I think even Police wont help the victims (???)
Old 18th April 2013, 09:47   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems to be an exercise in futility now, with these kind of cars roaming.
Hell, my film was allowing at least a view inside the car, albeit a little tinted.
How can this be legal?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-img_20130418_094106.jpg  

Old 12th May 2013, 05:58   #305
BHPian

Just wanted to share my experience: I asked the service center to remove the film and they flatly refused saying there are no people with them who deal with sun films and advised to get it done from outside. So it was done to DIY.

As pointed by all, removing the film was matter of minutes, hardly 5 minutes per window. It was the glue which was the problem. I tried Thinner, Colin etc.

Finally, what worked was applying "hot water" and scrubbing using scotch brite stainless steel scrubber. There were no scratches and glue came off easily. Each window took around 10 minutes.

One more thing which I noticed in my case was that the power windows failed to slide properly (were getting stuck) once the film was removed. The glue was preventing the windows from sliding properly. Once the glue is removed, windows worked normally.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 19:06   #306
Senior - BHPian

I did DIY removal eons ago but glue remained and I was too lazy to clean it.

Finally cleaned the glue yesterday by following method.

1. Sprayed a bit of WD40 on the glass.
2. Rubbed a little with a cloth with very little 3M rubbing compound
Actually I did not apply 3M compound explicetly but the cloth was used previously for body rubbing and it worked
Old 12th July 2013, 22:25   #307
BHPian

I removed my Lumar tints yesterday, yes almost an year after the ban was imposed. All the job took approximately ten minutes. I used a blade to lift off the edge and peeled by hand. All the film came off in just one piece but surprisingly with no gum residues. I think the glue remains on the glass only applies to cheap films like Garware. Lumar, 3M, vkool don't have such problems, just peel if off. No heating, no mess.
Old 13th July 2013, 09:05   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junaid12345678 View Post
I removed my Lumar tints yesterday, yes almost an year after the ban was imposed. All the job took approximately ten minutes. I used a blade to lift off the edge and peeled by hand. All the film came off in just one piece but surprisingly with no gum residues. I think the glue remains on the glass only applies to cheap films like Garware. Lumar, 3M, vkool don't have such problems, just peel if off. No heating, no mess.
Mine were 3M and costlier ones but glue traces remained and I had to clean by method described below.
Old 14th July 2013, 23:05   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Mine were 3M and costlier ones but glue traces remained and I had to clean by method described below.
Don't know what happens actually. Mine were two years old and came off easily with zero gum residue. But a fellow bhpian shared that his Lumar tints left lot of messy glue. But another one tells his 3M came off with zero gum residue. It may also happen that the dealers are taking us for a ride by sticking cheap films instead of premium ones. It is also possible that the quality of glue may be different/cheap.
Old 18th July 2013, 20:15   #310
BHPian

Thanks for this thread.
After reading it last week I decided to remove the sunfilm on OWN.
Mine was not the branded ones, and not the darkest ones.

Today it was quite sunny, so parked the car outside garage
left there for around 4 hours.
Once it was very hot inside, Used the Paper Cutter to take out a corner and then hold and pull off the film.
It took me 10 minutes to remove all sun-films. Mostly in one piece.
Only the driver side window has some portions of GUM remaining, will be cleaning it tomorrow.

DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-sunfilm_120929.jpg

DIY - Removing Sunfilm + what not to do-sunfilm_133652.jpg
Old 29th July 2013, 16:24   #311
BHPian

looks like the drive for sunfilm removal has intensified in Mumbai. I was stopped by a cop (not a traffic cop) yesterday next to inorbit mall malad for the tints on my glass. i tried to get away saying these were within the prescribed limit but the cop clearly quoted the supreme court order.

They wanted to confiscate the license, which i would have to collect from the office in worli after showing the tint free car to the officer there and paying any fine applicable. I managed to get away by paying a fine (200 bucks). The cop asked me to ensure the tints are off or i risk getting caught again.

have other also faced similar checks in Mumbai? if the drive continues i will get the tints removed :(
Old 2nd October 2013, 12:27   #312
BHPian

Did a clean removal today!!

Things i needed:
1. Dishwash liquid
2. Cloth
3. Steel scruber
4. Blade

Procedure:
1. Removed all films very very slowly. Lifted corners of the film with the blade and the trick here is to pull the film very slowly which leaves very less residue
2. Sprayed the dishwash liquid and scrubbed with the steel scrubber
3. Sprayed some more and cleaned with cloth

Ta da!! All done.. No heating and no money spent.. May be i burned a few calories in the process!
Old 20th January 2014, 18:50   #313
BHPian

Bangalore cops have started imposing the fine. A colleague of mine while I was with him this afternoon was stopped near Hosur Road Cemetery junction and paid Rs.100.
Also saw cops near Trinity circle stopping four wheelers with sun film.

Last edited by keyank : 20th January 2014 at 18:58.
Old 20th January 2014, 21:34   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyank View Post
Bangalore cops have started imposing the fine. A colleague of mine while I was with him this afternoon was stopped near Hosur Road Cemetery junction and paid Rs.100. Also saw cops near Trinity circle stopping four wheelers with sun film.
Was this a dark grey Fortuner? I passed by and saw this stopped. They were checking at the traffics light outside UB city yesterday
Old 21st January 2014, 11:34   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Was this a dark grey Fortuner? I passed by and saw this stopped. They were checking at the traffics light outside UB city yesterday
No my colleague's was a red swift, he had a very light sun film. still was challaned

Most Viewed