Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2015, 12:24   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: DIY: VW Polo - Swapping cabin light, headlight switch & Installing footwell lights

There should be 2 locking tabs on the either side of the connector. Press them and pull the connector out.
Old 30th July 2015, 19:51   #32
BHPian

re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

Little off topic. Is there a way to adjust the instrument cluster brightness on vw polo
Old 1st August 2015, 10:07   #33
BHPian

re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

Gannu_1, referring to your images the indian spec polo is equipped with a headlight leveling switch and the polo sold in uk has both headlight levelling and instrument cluster dimming control as illustrated in images below.
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-p_h.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-p_h2.jpg
Can we use the switch mentioned in the second pic in indian polo to have cluster dimming as there is no way one can control brightness of instrument cluster.
VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-screen-shot-20150801-9.58.33-am.png
This is the switch that is available on Aliexpress. let us know if this is possible.
Old 1st August 2015, 10:10   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
This is the switch that is available on Aliexpress. let us know if this is possible.
Yes it is possible but requires an additional cable to be connected to a junction while disconnecting 2 other cables. Already sourced the replacement adjuster, I am working on it (link) and will post the results when done.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st August 2015 at 10:12.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 21:36   #35
CDM
BHPian

@Gannu_1, are you sure your car does not need homologation again?

Fantastic and useful modifications you have made. I am getting inspired to try out some modifications myself, although I have a different car.

What has been your experience with Aliexpress?

CDM
CDM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 18:35   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
DIY #1: Swapping cabin light:

This is a pretty simple DIY and a relatively inexpensive one for about 2000 INR. Not absolutely essential unlike an arm-rest or a dead pedal which is a must have but this lends an upmarket feel to the interiors of the cabin.

Part No. 3B0 947 105C Y20
Source: AliExpress
Price: 35 USD (Rs. 2260)
Customs duties paid: Nil
Courier: DPEX (proper tracking is available)
Transit time: 6 days
Quote:
In short, I’ve had a fantastic experience dealing with AliExpress. All my stuff were sourced from a single dealer - I would send him the VW part number or the snap of the item, he would then refer to his factory and he would promptly send a response with the final cost inclusive of the shipping charges via DPEX. The consignments were packed with several bubble wraps/PU wrap, then placed in a box and shipped. No items were damaged during transit.

Hi Ganesh,

I am thinking about changing the cabin light as well to be able to position the BT mic. I have a few questions.

1. Does the light have the option to turn on while door open? In the product photos, I dont see a door open option in the switch.
2. Could you share the dealer's name (or PM me the details) from where you get your components? Once you work out the price, how do you make the payment? Does the dealer provide you with any discount code or something you enter during the order process?
3. How expensive is DPEX compared to FedEx or DHL?
4. Does it require hard bargaining to get the dealer to ship through DPEX? So far, I have never bargained on any purchase from AliExpress. Any tips on this would be greatly helpful

Thank you for all the detailed DIY threads which is of great help to a newbie like me. I sure have been bitten hard by the DIY bug after reading your series
Old 4th November 2015, 20:13   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
@Gannu_1, are you sure your car does not need homologation again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
What has been your experience with Aliexpress?
Pretty good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
1. Does the light have the option to turn on while door open? In the product photos, I dont see a door open option in the switch.
Yep. 2 modes of turning the light on - door open or ON.

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-043263.jpg

Quote:
2. Could you share the dealer's name (or PM me the details) from where you get your components?
This is the store from where I did most of the shopping - Landsounds Technology Co., Ltd--Car Accessories

Name's Tank Tao.

Quote:
Once you work out the price, how do you make the payment?
Using Aliexpress' escrow payment service with the credit card.

Quote:
Does the dealer provide you with any discount code or something you enter during the order process?
You can bargain with them if you are a frequent customer or if you do some bulk shopping.

Quote:
3. How expensive is DPEX compared to FedEx or DHL?
Few dollars more. The previous dealer used to ship the consignments through DPEX but not the new one. He uses HK Post and it reaches me in less than 2 weeks, sometimes 10 days.

Quote:
4. Does it require hard bargaining to get the dealer to ship through DPEX?
Nope, you can request them and they will give you a quote suitably. If you stick to one dealer, he will give you a good support + discounts on future shipments.

Quote:
Thank you for all the detailed DIY threads which is of great help to a newbie like me. I sure have been bitten hard by the DIY bug after reading your series
Haha no problem. This car will empty your wallet like anything. The list of mods are endless and you will keep upgrading one after the other. Whatever I keep discovering, I share it here.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th November 2015 at 08:54.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 09:52   #38
BHPian

Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

I have got the 2015 polo, which has the front footwell lights. I need to put the ones in the rear, below the front seats like you have done. In such a case, how do you suggest I go ahead with doing this.
Old 14th December 2015, 13:21   #39
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
I have got the 2015 polo, which has the front footwell lights. I need to put the ones in the rear, below the front seats like you have done. In such a case, how do you suggest I go ahead with doing this.
We don't have the slots/cavities for the footwell lights on the front seats' bottom area whereas the overseas models get them. I've used a couple of zip ties to tie them up with the metal rods.

This is how it fits elsewhere:

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-2510.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Upgrading cabin light, headlight switch & installing footwell lights-2610.jpg
(Source: Fernando's Polo from Spain; uk-polos.net)
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 14:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:
We don't have the slots/cavities for the footwell lights on the front seats' bottom area whereas the overseas models get them. I've used a couple of zip ties to tie them up with the metal rods.
Understood the placement below the seats with cable ties, but since I already have 2 lights in the front, would the harness that I have to order from AliExpress be different? Also as per my understanding I would not need the 20SWG cable, as I just need to tap the same from the existing front lights. Correct me if required.
Old 14th December 2015, 16:54   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Understood the placement below the seats with cable ties, but since I already have 2 lights in the front, would the harness that I have to order from AliExpress be different? Also as per my understanding I would not need the 20SWG cable, as I just need to tap the same from the existing front lights. Correct me if required.
Yes, that's correct. You need to connect the additional 2 lights in parallel to these. Check out W9 and W10 from the schematic here. They are the footwell lights for the front area.
Old 14th December 2015, 18:52   #42
BHPian

Hi Gannu_1,

You've done a fantastic job modding your car, and even more impressively all of them DIY. Kudos!
I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to do any manual labour , but your dedication and work has inspired me and I'm starting on my mod journey with a simple DIY. I got in touch with Mr. Tank from AliExpress for the cabin light assembly and mentioned your reference. He remembers you very fondly. I had a few queries,
1) He says he's sent you part no. 1TD 947 105, what you've mentioned is 3B0 947 105C Y20. Is it the same?
2) Where did you source the LEDs for this assembly and the cost? Is the DIY simple or complex?
3) Is the headlight switch quality good after extended usage? Would you recommend one?
4) He is quoting USD 28 for the assembly with HK post. I've asked for DPEX. Is HK post good and is there any room for price decrease?

I own a May'13 GT TSI, off the first lot.
Thanks for your help
Old 14th December 2015, 19:55   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
Hi Gannu_1,

You've done a fantastic job modding your car, and even more impressively all of them DIY. Kudos!
I'm the kind of guy who doesn't like to do any manual labour , but your dedication and work has inspired me and I'm starting on my mod journey with a simple DIY. I got in touch with Mr. Tank from AliExpress for the cabin light assembly and mentioned your reference. He remembers you very fondly. I had a few queries,
1) He says he's sent you part no. 1TD 947 105, what you've mentioned is 3B0 947 105C Y20. Is it the same?
2) Where did you source the LEDs for this assembly and the cost? Is the DIY simple or complex?
3) Is the headlight switch quality good after extended usage? Would you recommend one?
4) He is quoting USD 28 for the assembly with HK post. I've asked for DPEX. Is HK post good and is there any room for price decrease?

I own a May'13 GT TSI, off the first lot.
Thanks for your help
Hi, Just today, I received the cabin light assembly from Mr. Tank. Some information from my ordering experience.

1. When I wanted 3B0 947 105C Y20, Mr. Tank said he has 1TD 947 105 which also fits Polo. I did lot of reading on the net and found that 1TD 947 105 would fit the Polo. I also asked Mr. Tank to send me a photo of the assembly and compared it closely with the photo from Gannu's DIY instructions. All the conductor patterns are same match.
2. I too had requested for DPEX, but Mr. Tank insisted he would send by HK post. The item was shipped on 23rd November and reached today, in about 3 weeks time.
3. I too paid $28 for the assembly. I found the same part number in other stores for $19.99. I asked Mr. Tank about the higher price and he said the quality of the part he ships is good and hence the higher price. He did not budge on the price. As I also wanted a RCD510 mic for my HU and found Mr. Tank had that as well, I went ahead and ordered the light assembly for $28.

I can't comment on the long term reliability or quality (Gannu should be able to), but on first look, the quality looks good. Will update once I install it.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 14:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
2. I too had requested for DPEX, but Mr. Tank insisted he would send by HK post. The item was shipped on 23rd November and reached today, in about 3 weeks time.
3. I too paid $28 for the assembly. I found the same part number in other stores for $19.99. I asked Mr. Tank about the higher price and he said the quality of the part he ships is good and hence the higher price. He did not budge on the price. As I also wanted a RCD510 mic for my HU and found Mr. Tank had that as well, I went ahead and ordered the light assembly for $28.

I can't comment on the long term reliability or quality (Gannu should be able to), but on first look, the quality looks good. Will update once I install it.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll go ahead with the order. Please do update once you've installed. Did you have any issues with the customs? And are you planning to put in LEDs or going ahead with the halogens?
Luckily, Mr. Tank reduced the price by $2 when I asked him for a discount.
Old 15th December 2015, 14:55   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya9567 View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll go ahead with the order. Please do update once you've installed. Did you have any issues with the customs? And are you planning to put in LEDs or going ahead with the halogens?
Luckily, Mr. Tank reduced the price by $2 when I asked him for a discount.
I am going ahead with the halogens that come with the unit.

I did not have to pay any customs for this one. But that is purely a matter of luck.

Mr. Tank did not budge with me. Maybe I am poor in this negotiation stuff

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks